• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0-0 Tranmere Rovers

A strange game to have to summarise.
In the line up there was no surprise, and in the way the team played too, very predictable, hard working but not much guile.
The first half had few notable incidents, a poor giveaway by Milligan after a few minutes which might have cost us but after that Milly got better but still very sideways and back, made some tackles! Their keeper could not kick and a clearance broke to Hump empty goal but he was half asleep( he seems to have real concentration issues) and he fluffed his attempt at a long range open goal.
Hopper gets pushed by gk in pen box but ref ignored it, bottled it really, Demi made his views clear and Sol was incredulous with 4th official too.
Tranmere had a few shots and great intercept save by Oxley after Elvis poor pass give away.
We had NO, Zero attempts on goal.
2nd half, no change but we pushed forward more, especially Macca and Mantom, we had some goal attempts saved!
Was it 6 corners and 3 free kicks? All free kicks went high or wide from good positions and all corners likewise failed to work their gk.
Despite both the oppo CBs being on yellows the ball was not put past them or close to them to force an issue. Hoppy put Hump in but soft effort saved. Macca had good effort saved.
Elvis faded badly, we looked set up for a late disaster but thankfully it did not happen this time.
Another thing, why was Ox so consistently slow in releasing the ball?
Subs? Too late really and taking Demi off seemed only to happen as he was on yellow.
This was a MUST WIN game but few on the pitch and Sol seemed to know that.
Lastly, was that our youngest bench for a league game when Goodship was the oldest?

That's an excellent summary, agree with every word.

Good point Fairport. The reason Oxley didn't release the ball early was because there was no one to release it to. It would have come straight back!
On several occasions Hump was running for the space behind the slow T'mere high line but ball never came.
For sure it isn't a play ploy for all occasions but there were times that Ox should have been looking for.

What is wrong with Hump he seems to totally be unwilling to communicate with the rest of the team.
We did a Hump watch and he did not speak to any other players once during the whole of the match, when there is a stop in the play he just stands on his own, he seems to not get on with the rest of the team

Humps and Hopper play like strangers miles apart and when Humps does get the ball its head down and charge never looking up for a team mate or fellow forward, do we not have a certain A. Cole to train them?

Funny how we all see the game differently.

I thought we won the 1st half but they won the 2nd. We seemed to play a must win game with the handbrake on. The two wingbacks not being released until the last 15mins.

Thought the CB’s played well but in reality Tranmere didn’t really have anyone big enough up front to bother them. Dieng edged it for me though. I thought Hopper played really well until told to play deeper. Humphrys is a decent striker but needs chances created for him with something for him to run onto rather him receiving the ball with his back to the goal or at chest high all the time.
In midfield Demi and Mantom covered so much ground, but I thought Milligan was the weak link. We are in serious need of a playmaker or two.

Overall there is not enough movement off the ball, resulting in plenty of ball watching and not enough play making options or space created for others.

Mom for me was between Demi, Mantom and Dieng with Dieng just edging it.

Ox - 7
White - 7
Dieng - 8
Kiernan - 7
Elvis - 6
Macca - 3 1st half - 6 second
Demi - 8
Mantom - 8
Milligan - 6
Hopper - 7
Humphrys- 7.5

Ref - 3
Lino’s - 3

What is wrong with Hump he seems to totally be unwilling to communicate with the rest of the team.
We did a Hump watch and he did not speak to any other players once during the whole of the match, when there is a stop in the play he just stands on his own, he seems to not get on with the rest of the team

Humps and Hopper play like strangers miles apart and when Humps does get the ball its head down and charge never looking up for a team mate or fellow forward, do we not have a certain A. Cole to train them?
There was one moment in the first half when McLaughlin gave him a tongue lashing in front of us in the West for not running into space for him. Humphrys did reply that he couldn't hear what McL was saying!!

1 win in 25...green shoots....really not sure.

We seem more organised and fitter, which are absolute basics, but lack any creativity and could hardly string a pass together, as couldn't Tranmere....the amount of times each team lost possession was laughable,

2 teams that will be plying their trade in League 2 next season!

Peter Clarke looked every biit of his 38 years old today....but still kept our two forwards quiet.

Milligan is still ****ing ****e....I genuinely hoped he was going to go off injured when he went down!!

No luck going for us....hate to moan about referees....but today’s official was the worst this season....missed a definite penaly, clear handball, bottled a yellow on Dann’s who should have been sent off!

But most of all I will remember today for the tribute to Chris Barker.

Shame Ryan Leonard didn’t bring his boots....how we could do with him in mildfield!!

Humps and Hopper do not work together at all - today showed that, and seeing Coxy on the sidelines prior to kick off, his intelligence and ability to pick a pass would have benefited either of the other two.

Elvis was knackered within 20 minutes of the 2nd half starting, I don't believe the wing back system suits him. Also Macca, who is our most naturally gifted creator is wasted as a wing back and it cost our forwards, who spend far too much time wide.

Deadballs today, were shocking - corners and free kicks. Just dreadful. More work needed - and let's change up who takes them as Mantom was poor with them today.

Subs - too little, too late. Felt Kelman should have come on earlier, and that Hutch would have been a better choice in the middle. Sol clearly settled for a clean sheet and a point.

Positives today, well, the most obvious one was the way Roots Hall, the players, supporters and guests today carried out the tribute to our former captain. Made me so proud. Chris Barker, you will never be forgotten.

Second, a clean sheet at home in a league game - the first in a year! That's another monkey off our back.

Third, we're unbeaten in 2020. Little acorns and all that, but it has to be progress.

Oxley - 7, was quietly impressed with the Ox, he couldn't release the ball early too much, just needs to look at other options. Some great saves.
White - 7, solid and no nonsense, the JW we expect
Dieng - 7, one mistake aside, I thought he's looked good. Just needs to develop a bit of nastiness - which he could have picked up from watching Peter Clark!
Kiernan - 7.5, my MOTM, solid defensively and got forward on occasions, making a nuisance of himself
Bwomono - 6, not one of his better games, personally, I don't think wing back suits him
Milligan - 6.5, thought he was ok
Mantom - 7, again, thought he did ok except for the deadball stuff
Demetriou - 6, disappointed after previous performances
McLaughlin - 7, wasted, but worked hard
Hopper - 7, bullied and given no protection, far too wide too often
Humphrys - 6.5, couple of good, strong runs at defenders

Subs:
Kelman for Humps - 7, came on and looked interested, thought the game was set up for another number 23 to make their mark
Barratt for Demi - not on anywhere near long enough

Officials - shockingly awful when it mattered

Tranmere - Clark and Danns both showed that age is not a barrier when it comes to being niggly gits, and containing opposition players. didn't notice Alex Woodyward other than when he was falling over to gain free kicks.

Behind the South goal today
View attachment 10681
Thank you for posting this, we weren't able to see either the flowers or the photos from the East Blacks. That was the most beautiful few moments, the impeccable minute before kick off, and the standing ovation on the 39th minute. I guess Chris Barker had no idea how much love and respect he commanded. Tragic and senseless loss, I just hope that his family and friends can take some comfort from this.

Can we retire either squad no 23 or 39 in Chris's honour?

SOUTHEND United manager Sol Campbell praised the professionalism of his players after the Shrimpers ended a turbulent week with a point against Tranmere Rovers.

More...

Thank you for posting this, we weren't able to see either the flowers or the photos from the East Blacks. That was the most beautiful few moments, the impeccable minute before kick off, and the standing ovation on the 39th minute. I guess Chris Barker had no idea how much love and respect he commanded. Tragic and senseless loss, I just hope that his family and friends can take some comfort from this.

The minute of silence was the most silent I have ever heard. The silence was truly deafening. It was also very emotional, many people around me (myself included) had bleary eyes!

Nice idea , but there are so many players who gave there all for the club that are no longer with us .

And the game today...

Baby steps, and some fledgling green shoots! Another point, we kept a clean sheet, and we held our own against a very average side, who would have thrashed us 6 weeks ago! That is us unbeaten in 2020, is it 4 in a row now?

Hardly going to set the league alight, granted. But, considering how terrible we have been this season, we are starting to show small signs of improvement. Ox made a few crucial stops. Our defence, despite a shortage of defenders looked okay, and we looked as though the start of some midfield steel was starting to emerge. We haven't quite got the service right for Hopper and Humps, but as I say, baby steps!

Couple of stand out performances (bear in mind this is a low bar...) for me -

McLaughlin worked his socks off. MOM
Manton had his best game in ages. Close second.
JD - the additional freedom in midfield is suiting his game.

These players are 'keepers' for me, and if we can hold on to John White, Elvis, Hutchinson and Kelman in Jan / close season we have half a chance of attracting more players in.

The minute of silence was the most silent I have ever heard. The silence was truly deafening. It was also very emotional, many people around me (myself included) had bleary eyes!
Yes, same in East Blacks. Lots of tears today, mine and everyone around me.

Ox - 8 good but could have played humps in on goal
Bwomono - 4 poor tbh
White - 7 classic white performance
Kiernan- 7 looked much more confident
Dieng - 8 didn’t let anything through
Macca - 6 good going forward but nonexistent at the back at times
Milligan - 6 not too bad
Mantom - 8 worked very hard MOTM
Demi - 6 seemed out of position all the tine
Humphrys- 6 needs to pass more
Hopper - 7 worked hard and should’ve won a pen.

Ref - 0

I love seeing differing views of how players performed. I rarely do this but thought I’d give it a go.

Oxley - 8 - best game in ages.
Bwomono - 5 - needs to learn to tackle!
Kiernan - 7 - solid
Dieng - 7 - did as asked
White - 7 - good old dependable JW
Demi - 6 - not as good as last 2 home games
Milligan - 5 - picked due to lack of options?
Macca - 8 - ran, pestered, battled away.
Mantom - 7 - good, got stuck in
Hopper - 7 - rarely plays bad but looked fed up.
Humphrys - 5 - just not at the races.

Kelman - 6 - love his energy and enthusiasm
Barratt - not on long enough

1 defeat in 5 and yes 4 draws, but months ago we were losing games 3 or 4-0. That's also three home games undefeated. Let's not kid ourselves, it will take a miracle to stay up. But for me it's about Sol getting the squad, those that he wants, becoming hard to beat, playing different formations, trying different things in prep for getting them ready for next season. There are signs of improvement. The team is working harder, looks fitter. Defensively we look more solid and we are shipping far less goals. Going forward we do lack creativity and this is the main reason we are not winning games. Hopper and Humphrys are feeding off scraps.

Today could have been better if the ref had a pair of balls on him and given us at least the pen and then you won't see a more blatant second yellow for Danns but the ref on both occasions bottled it. Tranmere were truely awful and were there for the taking, we just lacked the quality to do so

But overall can't complain too much, the team showed spirit and heart and never stopped trying and that's all we can ask at this stage. Sol will get it right I'm certain of that, but it's small steps at a time.

Great tribute to Barks which he deserved

over an hour since the final whistle and only 4 posts says it all

Travelling home, pit stop at Cobham, pub....hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

A game (again there for the taking), didn't gel at all....loads of effort complimented by an efforts on goal, only for them to race away and come close at the other end within seconds.

Heart in mouth time...free kick to us , at the edge of their box, came to nothing...within seconds, panic mode and Elvis "back passes" to a corner for them !!

IMO Barratt on too late, Kelman played supersub. ran his socks off.
Tranmere No6, a big unit, ergo slow, but totally left footed, I got that quickly...our strikers didn't unfortunately..

Ox coped well, Demi and Macca cracked on.

We seem to have developed a "no lose policy", rather than "we're in it up to our necks ,death or glory".

More of the latter please.

Back