• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Andy_S

Member of the Barry Corr Fan Club
Southend United 0 Yeovil Town 0

Well, what a waste of an afternoon that was. Nathan Jones gave us more entertainment than anything that actually happened on the pitch. The players have given up the fight it seems on that showing, so League Two will surely follow. Some questionable tactics again it has to be said though - Grant left wing? Hmm. Christophe should've made way for Laurent to enable Grant to move into the middle. And why we substituted the pace of Spencer for Paterson when it should've been like for like with Vernon coming off, I don't know. We missed Scannell and Moussa massively. The midfield was weak, incredibly narrow and lacking in fight. Can't be hassled to write anything further on the game, as lets be honest there isn't much to be said. As I did mention in another thread, I thought Steven Caulker was solid and exactly the player we should've brought in during the summer.

Ratings:

Mildenhall 7: Made a couple of decent stops late on.

Francis 6.5: Couldn't get forward anywhere near enough due to the total lack of width in front of him. He had two players facing up to him every time he made it over the halfway line.

Baldwin 7: Shoddy distribution as per the norm, but pretty solid defensively.

Barrett 7: One of his better displays and we had a referee that was oblivious to most of the grappling he was doing, which always helps.

Herd 5.5: I don't know what was up with him today, but he was a little shaky. Tilly, on more than one occasion passed the message on to him to relax and take it easy. Possibly as the lowest earner in the team the wages situation is affecting him.

Grant 6: A pretty poor display from him. Although the fact he's a class above McCormack and Christophe, yet he's the one that gets shunted out of position is massively frustrating. The decision to play him on the left for the last half an hour was quite frankly bizarre. Seemed to struggle with fitness towards the end and Tilly's cry to him of "come on, we need you" couldn't have been more true.

Christophe 4.5: I'm sorry, but he was weak and utterly lacking in fight. Again. He's one man you don't really want in your team in a scrap. Can't head, can't pass, can't tackle, can't be bothered. Again.

McCormack 6: Had a decent first 30 minutes of so and then descended into his previous self, giving the ball away cheaply, screwing up passes and finding row C on a regular occasion. At least he put in a bit more effort than his partner in crime.

Malone 6: I've been a harsh critic of him since he signed, because, well, he's been utterly hopeless. But I actually thought he did ok today in midfield. He didn't give us anywhere near the width that I imagine he was told to give us, but he did put in a couple of decent balls and was tidy at times. His lazy walk off the pitch when we were in dire need of the win though summed him up; he thinks he's far better than he actually is and he couldn't give two hoots about being here. It reminded me a lot of Tommy Black being substituted towards the end of his time here, in that he needed the fans to urge him to get off the pitch so we could get on with the game.

Spencer 5: He struggled today. We didn't give him any sort of service that he requires though, other than one decent Francis through ball. Why did every ball into the channel go to the much slower Vernon?

Vernon 5: Had our only attempt in anger on the Yeovil goal, but contributed little else.

Subs:

Paterson 6: Was tidy enough when he came on. Was it me or was he getting a lot of abuse from the East Blacks? Erm, why?

Laurent 6: Had a couple of runs, but still refused to do the simple thing.

Crawford 6: Looked brighter and with more ideas up his sleeve in five minutes than Vernon did in his stint.

terrible day at the Hall - saved by being able to stand on the North Bank - thanks to TBV -

and given "what we've got" includes the unwanted residue, players waiting to be culled from squads, unwanted players like Malone, Vernon, Baldwin, Paterson, Spencer, kids like Herd and Crawford, misfits like JFC and Laurent, a point was a great result.

- and given that Francis, Barrett, Granty and Macca - our contracted players can only do so much - no Moussa no quality - no Scannel no threat -

Tilson referred to "events during the week" - ?? the pay thing is not just about the money as it is about some-one, the boss, taking effing liberties, taking you for a mug -

Sir Steve sounded down, the supporters sound down, grim -

BUT 7 games left 12 points needed -

she aint singing yet -

terrible day at the Hall - saved by being able to stand on the North Bank - thanks to TBV -

and given "what we've got" includes the unwanted residue, players waiting to be culled from squads, unwanted players like Malone, Vernon, Baldwin, Paterson, Spencer, kids like Herd and Crawford, misfits like JFC and Laurent, a point was a great result.

- and given that Francis, Barrett, Granty and Macca - our contracted players can only do so much - no Moussa no quality - no Scannel no threat -

Tilson referred to "events during the week" - ?? the pay thing is not just about the money as it is about some-one, the boss, taking effing liberties, taking you for a mug -

Sir Steve sounded down, the supporters sound down, grim -

BUT 7 games left 12 points needed -

she aint singing yet -

With the other teams above us all picking up a lot of wins, 12 points will not be enough in my eyes.

Well, what a waste of an afternoon that was. Nathan Jones gave us more entertainment than anything that actually happened on the pitch. The players have given up the fight it seems on that showing, so League Two will surely follow. Some questionable tactics again it has to be said though - Grant left wing? Hmm. Christophe should've made way for Laurent to enable Grant to move into the middle. And why we substituted the pace of Spencer for Paterson when it should've been like for like with Vernon coming off, I don't know. We missed Scannell and Moussa massively. The midfield was weak, incredibly narrow and lacking in fight. Can't be hassled to write anything further on the game, as lets be honest there isn't much to be said. As I did mention in another thread, I thought Steven Caulker was solid and exactly the player we should've brought in during the summer.

Ratings:

Mildenhall 7: Made a couple of decent stops late on.

Francis 6.5: Couldn't get forward anywhere near enough due to the total lack of width in front of him. He had two players facing up to him every time he made it over the halfway line.

Baldwin 7: Shoddy distribution as per the norm, but pretty solid defensively.

Barrett 7: One of his better displays and we had a referee that was oblivious to most of the grappling he was doing, which always helps.

Herd 5.5: I don't know what was up with him today, but he was a little shaky. Tilly, on more than one occasion passed the message on to him to relax and take it easy. Possibly as the lowest earner in the team the wages situation is affecting him.

Grant 6: A pretty poor display from him. Although the fact he's a class above McCormack and Christophe, yet he's the one that gets shunted out of position is massively frustrating. The decision to play him on the left for the last half an hour was quite frankly bizarre. Seemed to struggle with fitness towards the end and Tilly's cry to him of "come on, we need you" couldn't have been more true.

Christophe 4.5: I'm sorry, but he was weak and utterly lacking in fight. Again. He's one man you don't really want in your team in a scrap. Can't head, can't pass, can't tackle, can't be bothered. Again.

McCormack 6: Had a decent first 30 minutes of so and then descended into his previous self, giving the ball away cheaply, screwing up passes and finding row C on a regular occasion. At least he put in a bit more effort than his partner in crime.

Malone 6: I've been a harsh critic of him since he signed, because, well, he's been utterly hopeless. But I actually thought he did ok today in midfield. He didn't give us anywhere near the width that I imagine he was told to give us, but he did put in a couple of decent balls and was tidy at times. His lazy walk off the pitch when we were in dire need of the win though summed him up; he thinks he's far better than he actually is and he couldn't give two hoots about being here. It reminded me a lot of Tommy Black being substituted towards the end of his time here, in that he needed the fans to urge him to get off the pitch so we could get on with the game.

Spencer 5: He struggled today. We didn't give him any sort of service that he requires though, other than one decent Francis through ball. Why did every ball into the channel go to the much slower Vernon?

Vernon 5: Had our only attempt in anger on the Yeovil goal, but contributed little else.

Subs:

Paterson 6: Was tidy enough when he came on. Was it me or was he getting a lot of abuse from the East Blacks? Erm, why?

Laurent 6: Had a couple of runs, but still refused to do the simple thing.

Crawford 6: Looked brighter and with more ideas up his sleeve in five minutes than Vernon did in his stint.

I dont no if you was watching a different game to me or different to the person that awards the man of the match. But herd got the M.O.M

Mildey- 6, not a lot to do but good with the aerial balls.
Franno- 6, hardly got forward, defended well enough.
Baldwin-7, a real reliable performer
Barrett- 7, 1st half excellent
Herd- 5 , sorry but 1st half v poor and his crossing and general forward play is not up to scratch
Grant- 7, our best midfielder, should be in the middle
Macca- 6, didnt seem to care
Jeff- 4, woeful, lost the ball with every touch, cant head for a big guy
Malone- 0, disgraceful performance. Send back to Wolves.
Spencer- 5, poor first touch, not strong enough on the ball
Vernon- 5, same old Scotty, cant shoot for toffee but worked hard.

Subs
Paterson- 5, too lightweight
Laurent- 6, actually took some players on and delivered one good cross but just seems to run and run with no idea where he is going.
Crawford- 6, think he has something about him. Looks stocky and eager.

I dont no if you was watching a different game to me or different to the person that awards the man of the match. But herd got the M.O.M

You must have been watching a different game. The first 5 crosses/corners he did went straight to the first defender, who didn't even have to jump. Then he kept giving the ball away or passing it off for a throw in. Then he gets all panicky in and around our penalty area, Tilly told him to calm down. Then he was skimmed twice.
We are all behind him and hope he turns into a great left back for Southend, but today he had an absolute nightmare.
The M.O.M. thing was probably the sponsers feeling sorry for him.

Ratings

Mildenhall - 7
Francis - 7
Barrett - 6.5
Baldwin - 6
Herd - 6
Grant - 7.5 *
Macca - 6
Christophe - 5
Malone - 2
Vernon - 5
Spencer - 6

Patts - 6
Laurent - 2
Crawford - 7

- i thought mildy did well and made a few smart saves.
- grant was the star player for me. hands down best player in the squad
- macca huffed and puffed will very little affect of the game. too many stray balls
- christophe was useless and didnt really do anything
- malone i cannot stand, i get the impression he thinks he's a lot lot lot better than he actually is, lazy and body language is terrible. wouldn't want him in my team when fighting to stay up.
- vernon proved all he can do is get the odd flick on, no imagintion, no pass, no football brain, can't run, not sure how he scored two last week??

Ok, I take issue with some of you saying there was no passion out there, Barrett was playing like a man possessed (not always a good thing) and there was a clear arrangement that when he went forward Macca dropped back into defence. Positives, well, Vernon was absolutely working his socks off all afternoon, and I'd have loved to see him with Paterson and Spencer in a 3 man attack...unfortunately, yet again, for some reason in a must win game, our best three forwards were not utilised together. Crawford looked good AGAIN when he came on, Laurent and Franno have a far better working relationship down the right than anyone else that has played there. Grant is not a winger and apart from a couple of runs didn't contribute much in that area so Laurent should have been brought on earlier on the right.

I thought Johnny Herd was the correct decision for MotM, though the towel thing is starting to irritate me a little and they have to work on using the throws to our best advantage. Jeff is a good header of the ball in the box, bring him near post to flick on.

I hope Macca's ankle injury wasn't too bad, it looked a little worrying, and we can't afford more players out. I thought he and the rest of the team were far too defensive today though.

Can someone please sort out Mildy's kicking? Either he seemed to take far too long or he shanked it, or both!

thought herd and barrett were good today, rest were well below par, and christophe and laurent were bloody awfull.

Mildy 7 - Good goalkeeping , poor distribution
Francis 7 - Solid game , poor distribution
Baldwin 7 - as above
Barrett 7 - as above , got away with loads of grappling !
Herd 6 - Long throws our only threat , defending and crossing poor
Grant 7 - Why's he playing out there ? IMO our best midfielder
Macca 7 - Worked hard , poor distribution
JFC 5 - Sorry not up to it, can only seem to pass back or sideways
Malone 5 - thought he might do better left midfield , didn't impress
Spencer 5 - Like him but poor performance today , not strong enough on ball
Vernon 6 - Worked really hard , too ponderous though

Laurent 5 - great skills but no idea how to use them , comedy half hour though !
Paterson 5 - Did ok , again not threatening enough
Crawford 6 - At least he put some effort in

Ok, I take issue with some of you saying there was no passion out there, Barrett was playing like a man possessed (not always a good thing) and there was a clear arrangement that when he went forward Macca dropped back into defence. Positives, well, Vernon was absolutely working his socks off all afternoon, and I'd have loved to see him with Paterson and Spencer in a 3 man attack...unfortunately, yet again, for some reason in a must win game, our best three forwards were not utilised together. Crawford looked good AGAIN when he came on, Laurent and Franno have a far better working relationship down the right than anyone else that has played there. Grant is not a winger and apart from a couple of runs didn't contribute much in that area so Laurent should have been brought on earlier on the right.

I thought Johnny Herd was the correct decision for MotM, though the towel thing is starting to irritate me a little and they have to work on using the throws to our best advantage. Jeff is a good header of the ball in the box, bring him near post to flick on.

I hope Macca's ankle injury wasn't too bad, it looked a little worrying, and we can't afford more players out. I thought he and the rest of the team were far too defensive today though.

Can someone please sort out Mildy's kicking? Either he seemed to take far too long or he shanked it, or both!

we all love Herd because he is 'our lad' but what did he do right today, I bet for every one good thing a bunch of us can couter with two bad things . I do agreee about the passion though , they didn't give up today, it wasn't a lack of effort, it was jsut a bad day at the office, and another line uo that made no sense. We HAVE to line up in a mannerr that allows Francis room to cross- its our most dangerous weapon.

Laurent looked good today BUT did he play a match before coming on as he looked knackered , as did Jeff

we all love Herd because he is 'our lad' but what did he do right today, I bet for every one good thing a bunch of us can couter with two bad things

I thought he actually defended quite well, and for a small bloke got his head to the ball before the opposition player on a number of occasions. He also cleared the ball effectively a number of times....ok, it may have been by hoofing but at least it worked.

The only reason Herd got M.O.M was because they just cant give it to Grant every time , even though he deserves it !

Mildy 7 - Couple of decent saves

Francis 7.5 motm - Defended really well, looked our only creative outlet other than throw ons

Herd 6 - Would be 5 but for the throws. A bad day in the office

Barrett & Baldwin 7 - Did ok - not much to do to be honest

Grant 6 - Out of position again, worked hard, but put him in the middle

Macca 6.5 - Played really well first half, disappeared a bit in the second

JFC 4 - Gives the ball away more than to a blue shirt. You'd think you'd be able to manage almost 50-50 with a random passing machine. Today though, I can't remember him winning the ball - in fact they took it past him like he wasn't there at leat 3 times I can recall.

Malone 5 - Not his fault - he's out of position and a kid.

Vernon 6 - Held the ball up well, but little creativity

Spencer 5 - Plenty of running and energy, but created nothing and hold up play is poor

Subs
Laurent 5 - Couple of trademark runs, one with a half decent pull back. Minus 1 point for "going down far too easily" a couple of times.

Patterson 7 - Thought he did really well, held the ball up took a few players on.

Crawford 7 - Only on for a few minutes, but has something about him. Much more impressive than his last cameo - I would hope to see more of him in L2 next year

Ref 8 - Easy game to ref, but no howlers. Saying that I'd like to see Grants penalty appeal from a different angle

Back