• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0-1 AFC Wimbledon

1. Because we lost a load of games with those replacements in
2. Because Hopper and Humprhys are injured and Robinson was hounded out
3. Experience, a bit extra height and set piece threat. Wouldn't have picked him myself
4. I thought the criticism was that he made his subs too late, not that he made too few of them?

1. I believe it is the tactics that Powell is deploying rather than the players.
2. What about, Ba, Kelman & Wabo???
3. He does bring this, if his on form.. we agree on something :Smile:
4. I wasn't referring to his use of his substitutions. I was referring to his initial team selection. e.g Keirnan not playing for 18 months, playing once, then dropped... He would have been busting a gut to play regularly.... but no CP drops him to the bench!

1. I believe it is the tactics that Powell is deploying rather than the players.
2. What about, Ba, Kelman & Wabo???
3. He does bring this, if his on form.. we agree on something :Smile:
4. I wasn't referring to his use of his substitutions. I was referring to his initial team selection. e.g Keirnan not playing for 18 months, playing once, then dropped... He would have been busting a gut to play regularly.... but no CP drops him to the bench!

1. I firmly believe it is the players rather than the tactics
Ba - not good enough. I'd have started him at Scunthorpe but for defensive reasons rather than the expectation of any attacking end product. Had scored something like 2 goals in 20 u23 matches (Bunn has scored more than that in fewer first team appearances this season). Will probably be released at the end of the season and drift into non-league football.
Kelman - not ready. The game has passed him by on every match since his debut. To be expected coming straight out of youth team football. His time will come but it's not now.
Wabo - deemed not good enough at Conference level by several managers who took him on loan but then declined to start him. Has shown nothing in his sub appearances.

4. He'd been out injured two years and you want to play him Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday before he's completed 90 minutes for the reserves?

I think Wordsworth's performance was a timely reminder that our corners could be much worse. He's someone who only performed every fourth game for us (if that). Given that this was a game he was up for, it goes to show that Powell didn't get every decision wrong this summer.

I think you're rather forgetting that the wind was blowing against at the North Bank end. As he was trying to hit in-swinging corners (he'll know Oxley's susceptibility) you can't blame him for trying to get them as tight as possible.

I would agree if he had demonstrated the ability to do it... But he hasn't!
Give the bloke a chance, he has just returned after a long injury and will not yet be match fit. Also I wouldn't put it past CP to have told him not to get too far forward!

Just as well.I never played in goal. :Winking:

I see you've ducked the question as to who was more responsible for the goal-Oxley or Turner?

Never duck a question old boy. Don’t judge everyone else by your own standards..........

They were both very responsible.

In that wind and with Paul Smith - sorry Oxley - in goal Turner should have hoofed the ball deep into the Blue stand as he should know by now that Oxley is scared to leave his line.

When Turner didn’t hoof it, Oxley should have come for it with everything.

Not only did he not come for it, his ‘challenge’ was a powder puff affair that my grandson was ashamed of. Even at the stage when the ball reached him he didn’t have the guts to put all his body into the challenge but waved a fairy leg.

Given the above, they were both at fault for appalling misjudgements but Oxley was far more at fault because he also contributed an absolutely gutless challenge.

OK?

Never duck a question old boy. Don’t judge everyone else by your own standards..........

In that wind and with Paul Smith - sorry Oxley - in goal Turner should have hoofed the ball deep into the Blue stand as he should know by now that Oxley is scared to leave his line.

Not only did he not come for it, his ‘challenge’ was a powder puff affair that my grandson was ashamed of. Even at the stage when the ball reached him he didn’t have the guts to put all his body into the challenge but waved a fairy leg.

Given the above, they were both at fault for appalling misjudgements but Oxley was far more at fault because he also contributed an absolutely gutless challenge.

OK?
It hurts to say this but I agree.

OK?

Yes he will never get into Accrington Stanley's side.

That was the red card challenge that could relegate us.

OK?

OK?

You make a good (late) case for your views as always.I too was suprised that Oxley didn't clatter Pigott but that's not really his game. As Rigsby says "that was the red card challenge that could relegate us". Let's hope it won't.

Edit.Apropos your opening remark,you might want to think about Baldwin's description of Lloyd George as "a dynamic force".He went on to say that " A dynamic force may crush you but it is not necessarily right." :Smile:

Last edited:
I don't think relegation would happen because of one moment. If that were the case, there'd be many to select from. One moment doesn't make a season.

I don't think relegation would happen because of one moment. If that were the case, there'd be many to select from. One moment doesn't make a season.

We were playing the team at the bottom of the league. It was a "6 pointer". It's a game we should of taken by the scruff of the neck and won.

Give the bloke a chance, he has just returned after a long injury and will not yet be match fit. Also I wouldn't put it past CP to have told him not to get too far forward!

Playing someone who is not match fit vs someone who is....

Playing someone who gets forward vs someone who was maybe told not to...

We were at home, playing with 3 central defenders. Why would we be giving individuals chances at this late stage of the season? We don't have the the number of games left for this.

You make a good (late) case for your views as always.I too was suprised that Oxley didn't clatter Pigott but that's not really his game. As Rigsby says "that was the red card challenge that could relegate us". Let's hope it won't.

Edit.Apropos your opening remark,you might want to think about Baldwin's description of Lloyd George as "a dynamic force".He went on to say that " A dynamic force may crush you but it is not necessarily right." :Smile:

Quoting a Tory PM?

Have you swapped sides?

I thought the Politics Forum had closed...

Quoting a Tory PM?

Have you swapped sides?

I thought the Politics Forum had closed...

Baldwin was a much underrated Tory PM.The Tories could use someone with his essential inner calm in charge now.I suppose the same could be said for SUFC.Though personally, I think we've got the right man in charge.:Winking:

Playing someone who is not match fit vs someone who is....

Playing someone who gets forward vs someone who was maybe told not to...

We were at home, playing with 3 central defenders. Why would we be giving individuals chances at this late stage of the season? We don't have the the number of games left for this.
Your comments are about CP management which I agree with. My comments were regarding what I regard as unfair criticism of a player returning from injury.

Back