• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0-1 Boreham Wood

Cricko

Zone Owner⭐⭐
Staff member
We didn't turn up in the first half and only got going when Powell came on.. Boreham were a filthy side that bullied us all over the park then went down like snowflakes and time wasted. They deserved at least the 2 Reds. We didn't get many shots on target and need to improve up front and attack a lot faster and stop keep playing pass the parcel.

Over to you guys.

Last edited:
We didn't turn up in the first half and only got going when Powell came on.. Boreham were a filthy side that bullied us all over the park then went down like snowflakes and time wasted. They deserved at least the 2 Reds. We didn't get many shots on target and need to improve up front and attack a lot faster and stop keep playing pass the parcel.

Over to you guys.
They have a reputation for it, and this is probably the only senior league where you mostly get away with it.
That said, if we don't get a left centre/wing back replacement soon, TC is going to be targeted every match, and it won't take more than a couple of games before his confidence is shot.
As for Hyde, the thread where we signed him had me pointing out his injury record.
I covered Woking, amongst others, when he was at Kingfield.
Oh, no, he's past all that, shouted many Zoners.
Again, it gives me no pleasure to say I told you so.

We were generally dreadful.

Played all our football in front of Boreham. Ponderous side to side, backwards, forwards, backwards again.

Dirty cheating scum too, but we let them get away with it with hardly any protest or fight.

Disasterclass of the day goes to Kensdale, a good RCB but not a commanding central defender sorry.

Commendations to Taylor, Hobson and Wreh. All had decent games and weren’t the reason we lost.

To those taking digs at me for criticising our lack of initiative and poor attacking play in pre season, there you go.

Last edited:
It's tough to tell since Boreham Wood are defensively solid but I think we need another striker based on that, we passed it around nicely but no one seemed confident enough to shoot, Powell was probably the brightest spark going forwards but he still wasn't great. Hopefully Hyde isn't properly injured because we need a presence up front.

Our defense still looks weak as well, although maybe a Neal replacement would do a lot of good there, we've got midfielders that look good on the ball but they don't look like they'll be muscling many players off the ball (which might be why Hobson kept coming into midfield).

We have been weak at the back for ages apart from a lucky loan signing last year.

I can't understand why this management and the previous few haven't made this a priority. Brown tried and got it wrong apart from that Turner was the last commanding and organising defender we have had, Lopata apart on loan. If we don't rectify this quickly it will be another midtable finish at best.

What can you say! I was one of the 9% who predicted this result, the recruitment has been poor, the manager is poor and so is the whole backroom staff set up (we don't need all these people), too many Chief's, I've been saying it since halfway through last season.

I'm all for signing young hungry players, but look at the teams that get promoted out of this League, they all sign experienced players as well, to get the ballance right. We've just signed cheap players who have no experience at this level at all.

I fear a tough season ahead, I wouldn't expect too much this season because you'll be disappointed.

Im embarrassed firstly for the referee. Literally had no control all game. Wood players put in tackle after tackle leaving a foot in, causing damage to our players and the ref just let them keep doing it. Giving the Wood player a second yellow rather then a straight red for the most blantant elbow to the face i think i have ever seen. Not giving enough injury time second half. Should have been about 9 mins and that doesnt include the 2 and half mins in injury time that the keeper was down after running into Taylor

Secondly, for the Wood players who spent more time on the ground feigning injury than i have ever seen. Also, taking the ball to the corner in the 77th minute. Now that really is embarrassing

They have a reputation for it, and this is probably the only senior league where you mostly get away with it.
That said, if we don't get a left centre/wing back replacement soon, TC is going to be targeted every match, and it won't take more than a couple of games before his confidence is shot.
As for Hyde, the thread where we signed him had me pointing out his injury record.
I covered Woking, amongst others, when he was at Kingfield.
Oh, no, he's past all that, shouted many Zoners.
Again, it gives me no pleasure to say I told you so.
And they won!

Im embarrassed firstly for the referee. Literally had no control all game. Wood players put in tackle after tackle leaving a foot in, causing damage to our players and the ref just let them keep doing it. Giving the Wood player a second yellow rather then a straight red for the most blantant elbow to the face i think i have ever seen. Not giving enough injury time second half. Should have been about 9 mins and that doesnt include the 2 and half mins in injury time that the keeper was down after running into Taylor

Secondly, for the Wood players who spent more time on the ground feigning injury than i have ever seen. Also, taking the ball to the corner in the 77th minute. Now that really is embarrassing
It’s not embarrassing if you win. If we played like that and won I’d be perfectly happy.

Probably part of Wrexhams plan. He will be back at Wrexham tomorrow for 'treatment'
He can go back to Wrexham as far as I’m concerned.

Didn’t want him in the first place all it’s done is create complacency for us when it comes to finding a striker solution.

Back