• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0-1 Boreham Wood

Wow - were in the dressing room / tactics meetings to know what post he'd been allocated?
It was pretty obvious to me and my mate who was with me what was going to happen and it did, but it was not just that incident he was pulled all over the place by the daggers right side, having said that in that game he wasn't the only one.

Brilliant photos. Its great that you do all these things. But would be nice for some things to happen in front of the West Stand for a change.

Very conscious of that - time is always a factor, we have to get them out just before KO as if we do it earlier not enough folk are around. Steve Phillips at the end of last season got all the way over to the West, we wondered if he was going to come back! I always encourage them to go to at least the centre spot and acknowledge all parts of the ground. I have thought about interviews at HT maybe in front of the West but there are practical issues re that and from experience where I've seen that at other clubs most folk don't listen and chat with their mates or cuddle their mobile. Am open to any ideas, I'm thinking for at least one game running a Trust pop up stall selling the West Stand prints outside the entrance (not yet spoke to the club about that) and if I have an ex player in tow with me even better. Any ideas re what to do and how are always welcome, maybe best to DM me rather than detract further from this thread. UTB

Last season showed us that we had a glaring weakness in attack as we were one of the lowest goalscoring teams in the division This has not changed and unless its addressed very soon its going to be another long hard slog of a season .

Last season showed us that we had a glaring weakness in attack as we were one of the lowest goalscoring teams in the division This has not changed and unless its addressed very soon its going to be another long hard slog of a season .
Totally agree. Thing is we have 3 strikers all made of glass and wet beer mats. We got lucky last season with Dennis's purple patch.

I say for now play two up top as we haven't got a skilled target man at the moment and that for me has to be the impressive Powell and the future top scorer of the Liberian national team Wreh

We were generally dreadful.

Played all our football in front of Boreham. Ponderous side to side, backwards, forwards, backwards again.

Dirty cheating scum too, but we let them get away with it with hardly any protest or fight.

Disasterclass of the day goes to Kensdale, a good RCB but not a commanding central defender sorry.

Commendations to Taylor, Hobson and Wreh. All had decent games and weren’t the reason we lost.

To those taking digs at me for criticising our lack of initiative and poor attacking play in pre season, there you go.
sideways, backwards, backwards, sideways ..... crab football....Just like Maher used to play!

We have. We have sold our young player of the season. You know the one who was involved in about 40% of last seasons goals.

Lots of comments on here about not having enough ‘Roy’ about him and nonsense about lucky to get £100,000.

Apparently it’s the way forward. We should be the ‘Peterborough’ of the NL

Incredibly tough watch in what must have been pretty dreadful conditions to play in, had the feeling of a pre season game the pace it was played at.

Soon as Hyde went off we were in trouble. For the punt on raw talent we took on Wreh, I don’t think he was brought in to lead the line in the first team just yet, desperately need at least one striker this week but you do fear it’s going to be a young kid from an academy somewhere, when we really need some experience and nous. Tbf I was quite impressed with flashes of wreh, particularly his movement off the last defender, always looked to make little moves to create space either for himself or for the attacker on the ball. Feels like he’ll be useful away from home especially.

As for the rest of it, Husin was really poor, thought Taylor showed excellent drive especially second half and wouldn’t mind seeing him given a go in mf based on that performance.

We really need to get Clifford out of the team as he doesn’t suit the wide role. Hopefully with lomas on the bench, he’s not far away and can get him in and Ralph out there.

Miley looked pretty decent and have no complaints there.

Biggest disappointment was Mooney for me. Comes with a big reputation and has played a lot of games at this level. Thought he was pretty anonymous and when he did get on the ball he tried Hollywood passes that didn’t come off. This isn’t like a rookie we’ve brought up from NLS or something, so yea, was worried he offered nothing so far. I’m sure he’ll come good.

Really sobering day all round, not helped by more awful refereeing and compounded by a 3 hour drive back to Colchester due to problems on the a12. Day to forget.
Next Game Drive home, via Old A130, Woodham Ferrers,Maldon, Heybridge,Goldhanger, Tolleshunt D’Arcy, Great Wigborough, Pelion, up into Colchester via Mersey Road, up to Tesco on A133 Big Roundabout, through Elmstead Market- turn Right for Brightlingsea. Much Quicker, no traffic xx

Next Game Drive home, via Old A130, Woodham Ferrers,Maldon, Heybridge,Goldhanger, Tolleshunt D’Arcy, Great Wigborough, Pelion, up into Colchester via Mersey Road, up to Tesco on A133 Big Roundabout, through Elmstead Market- turn Right for Brightlingsea. Much Quicker, no traffic xx
That is the way (ish) I ended up going. Joined A12 at Stanway. Chelmsford was a nightmare with people coming off at Springfield turn off. Wait a minute, I was one of them.

I haven't read any of this thread and rarely bother because you can be pretty sure what will be posted. After a loss it will be all doom and gloom and the obvious posters will be saying we're relegation fodder and after a win the obvious people will be saying we're going up.

Like most people I was really disappointed after the match, but my dad pointed something out that was interesting. Steve Arnold didn't have to make a save in the whole match. Goal aside he had pretty much nothing to do. Their goalkeeper on the other hand made at least 3 really good saves. As it turns out, probably the only decent pass of the match (from Brunt) led to their goal.

We didn't play well, and had nothing up front but it wasn't as bad as I initially thought. It's also not surprising that we had nothing up front given that Hyde went off injured and Wreh came on. Wreh isn't really up to it at the moment, and (as KM) said on BBC Essex, he's stepped up 2 divisions so it was always going to take time. My take on that is that KM wasn't expecting to be forced to play him so early on in the season, let alone Saturday's match.

The other point I would make is that, had we won on Saturday, the "doom and gloom merchants" would almost certainly have countered the "we're going up" brigade by rightly saying that you can't assume that after one match. However, the opposite is also true: you can't assume we're going to struggle just because we lost. (IIRC every time we've been promoted we've lost our first game of the season.)

So, let's keep a bit of perspective and try to avoid the extreme reactions.

Just seen the highlights, Ndlovu's first challenge is a straight red as I thought at the time, potential leg breaker.

The other challenges also deserved red cards which they did get.

Also just to add I would not shed a single tear if one of these Boreham Wood players gets some of their own treatment in their future games. ****ing disgraceful team.

sideways, backwards, backwards, sideways ..... crab football....Just like Maher used to play!
Oh, yes, I remember Maher playing now. One of the least effective midfielders we ever had. If I recall correctly, he only played a handful of games as a result, had no interest from other clubs and during the time he was here the club experienced no success whatsoever. Top post.

Just seen the highlights, Ndlovu's first challenge is a straight red as I thought at the time, potential leg breaker.

The other challenges also deserved red cards which they did get.

Also just to add I would not shed a single tear if one of these Boreham Wood players gets some of their own treatment in their future games. ****ing disgraceful team.
His 2nd was a straight red too.

That's my point.
Referee was dreadful. But we need to start dishing the same out to the opposition to protect ourselves because the refs won't.

We risked two broken legs and one potential head injury by not standing up for ourselves.

That first tackle from Ndlovu we should be all over the ref. Credit to Demetriou he never lets anything slide on a football pitch and hopefully he'll add some much needed voice to the team when he returns.

Have we two fit forwards to play up front?
Nope! hence the 'with what we have' bit. Its a very fair point but I just feel with our lack of depth, especially up front, injuries etc, its better to be strong at the back until we can get fit forwards back in the team. It may mean nicking quite a few games by hook or by crook and some draws and being a LOT more streetwise in our approach during the game, but Id rather that than be left floundering at the back defensively and conceding goals and confidence getting knocked at the start of a season.
I like all the views and opinions on here about what we should do. Lots of differing views. It will be Kev etc that decides and Ill be supporting him and when at the game the players he picks whatever...

Last edited:
That is the way (ish) I ended up going. Joined A12 at Stanway. Chelmsford was a nightmare with people coming off at Springfield turn off. Wait a minute, I was one of them.
When I got to it, Police blocked off access from that funky roundabout back down to the A12, so everyone was going through Boreham. I crawled along that round which was parallel to the A12 that was flowing nicely lol.

Got to a junction after about 45 mins with access to the A12 but only for traffic coming the other way through Boreham, did a bit of a naughty u-turn, A12 back up to that bloody chelmsford roundabout. Was gutted as I'd ended up where I joined a 45 min queue, but the police had gone and thankfully could rejoin the A12 from there.

Looked like there was another accident with a bike which is why the police were blocking it at the time. Annoying though!!

Back