• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0-1 Boreham Wood

Considering some of the tackles flying in I thought the crowd was very quiet. Not sure why, but the atmosphere was flat.

You’re right about JD, he’s slated by many but he always gives his all and will always call out the ref and stand up for his own team mates. We need to find a few more like that. No good knocking the ball around nicely if we’re bullied on the pitch.

The atmosphere was flat because there has been a summer of ‘Kevolution’ nonsense.

That means the fans expect it to happen. A kind of you lead and we will follow attitude. Boreham Wood literal got away with murder. The tackle on Ralph was a a straight red and very similar to a season ender he got awhile back. The reaction of our team and fans is so weak and poor we just invite some more.

Any scouting report will say. Leave a foot in on Mooney and Bridge, you’ll get away with it and they are zero threat from the kick.

Always the same in August, lots of people on holiday and lots of day trippers in.

Also lots of we are to good for this league and we should sweep aside these tin pot clubs….. Those that roll their sleeves up get rewarded in the NL. Those that play it out from the back don’t.

You only have to watch their goal to know if we had swapped Evans for Kensdale we would have won that game.

I actually thought putting Hobson up top once they went down to 10 might not have been a bad idea, give us a presence up top, and I think he used to play there in his early career?

That would have been my choice anyway (see what I did there)
Funny. I suggested that too.

I haven't read any of this thread and rarely bother because you can be pretty sure what will be posted. After a loss it will be all doom and gloom and the obvious posters will be saying we're relegation fodder and after a win the obvious people will be saying we're going up.

Like most people I was really disappointed after the match, but my dad pointed something out that was interesting. Steve Arnold didn't have to make a save in the whole match. Goal aside he had pretty much nothing to do. Their goalkeeper on the other hand made at least 3 really good saves. As it turns out, probably the only decent pass of the match (from Brunt) led to their goal.

We didn't play well, and had nothing up front but it wasn't as bad as I initially thought. It's also not surprising that we had nothing up front given that Hyde went off injured and Wreh came on. Wreh isn't really up to it at the moment, and (as KM) said on BBC Essex, he's stepped up 2 divisions so it was always going to take time. My take on that is that KM wasn't expecting to be forced to play him so early on in the season, let alone Saturday's match.

The other point I would make is that, had we won on Saturday, the "doom and gloom merchants" would almost certainly have countered the "we're going up" brigade by rightly saying that you can't assume that after one match. However, the opposite is also true: you can't assume we're going to struggle just because we lost. (IIRC every time we've been promoted we've lost our first game of the season.)

So, let's keep a bit of perspective and try to avoid the extreme reactions.
Spot On ! COYB,UTB

The atmosphere was flat because there has been a summer of ‘Kevolution’ nonsense.

That means the fans expect it to happen. A kind of you lead and we will follow attitude. Boreham Wood literal got away with murder. The tackle on Ralph was a a straight red and very similar to a season ender he got awhile back. The reaction of our team and fans is so weak and poor we just invite some more.

Any scouting report will say. Leave a foot in on Mooney and Bridge, you’ll get away with it and they are zero threat from the kick.
That’s spot on. Until we look like we can score from set pieces, we will get loads of practice!!!

We have. We have sold our young player of the season. You know the one who was involved in about 40% of last seasons goals.

Lots of comments on here about not having enough ‘Roy’ about him and nonsense about lucky to get £100,000.

Apparently it’s the way forward. We should be the ‘Peterborough’ of the NL
What about the players them self's, if Wrexham come in for you they pay wages 5x what we pay, so eventually the players will force a move nothing the club could do only get the best price we can and 100k for a national league striker is about right.

What about the players them self's, if Wrexham come in for you they pay wages 5x what we pay, so eventually the players will force a move nothing the club could do only get the best price we can and 100k for a national league striker is about right.

100k is a zone myth. It may have been their first offer but Wrexham would never have been given permission if it was that low.

There are some on here who think the only way to play against a big back 4 is to have a bigger thug than them. last week I showed someone the highlights of Bromley away last season, as they were even bigger than Wood

Dalby has the assist of the season for Dennis equaliser. Then set up Murphy for a winner but he choked his shot.

Dalby at home to Bromley 2-0 and then against Wood 1-0 proves the answer is not winning headers but play as a 10 because block head CB’s are out of their comfort zone.

If you watch those three highlight clips you will then understand why Wrexham have a bargain and we have less of a threat than last season until loans or the injured return….. In the meantime the Dalby money will flow down the injury drain.

Agreed @rigsby , what you say about forward is also true regards a thug at the back, it isn't the answer either imo.
A leader, a reader of situations, an organiser; who is a more mobile Anton, would be more useful.
And getting concentration levels up at set pieces, and midfielders tracking back; AND then working to back up and make options for attack play.

Tbh i thought verses BW are problems were in the creating dept (Fonguk maybe an option) and the upfront department significantly (one down the middle not best suited to the role, and two wingers a taxi ride away even though we had wing backs).

I have criticised the back 3 in one or two friendlies but tbf I though their performance was one of the positives..

He will left his Chelsea tractor with his tacky plate in the car park then :Smile:
We started the 57/58 season winning 5-0, 5-2, but spoilt the sequence by beating QPR 6-0. That same season we drew 1-1 with Liverpool at Anfield in the cup, although we lost the return 2-3 on a sunny Wednesday afternoon, (no lights), at the brand new Roots Hall stadium.

Happy days.
Just clarifying: we’d been playing at Roots Hall for two and a half. seasons when second-division Liverpool came here again and avenged their 2-1 defeat of the season before.

Were still after him but would he really want a NL team. He's too good good for us im afraid

Breakdown of their goal? Sublime pass from Brunt inside Clifford, who got back into a half-decent position, but not enough to prevent the pull-back, both centre-backs (who did not check their shoulders once) made the same run towards the six-yard line and were therefore powerless to block their onrushing player.

Breakdown of their goal? Sublime pass from Brunt inside Clifford, who got back into a half-decent position, but not enough to prevent the pull-back, both centre-backs (who did not check their shoulders once) made the same run towards the six-yard line and were therefore powerless to block their onrushing player.

Take it back a bit more - Hobson was in possession - played a loose ball to Husin - their guy got to it before Husin and pushed it back to his full back who took two steps forward and played an accurate pass to Brunt who had got a yard and a half in front of Hobson - so no challenge - Brunt turned and played the best (only) long pass of the game.

Once they scored - they knew we wouldn’t.

BW were bigger, stronger and faster and bullied us.

My half time text to my wife was - “Losing 1-0 same old Southend“.

Nothing has changed - if fact we are far weaker than how we ended last season. And can someone tell Powell that when he is shooting - to keep his head over the ball - not lean back and sky it over the bar…

Back