• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0-1 Gillingham FC

I get the point.
But if you're knocking Mantom because you don't hear his name mentioned - it does suggest he wasn't in the game, and, consequently, was poor.
You're surely poor if you don't tackle, shoot, pass head or tackle, and therefore contribute little or nothing, no?

Reading that you could be describing another squad member...

I thought Mantom had a pretty effective game … positioned himself well and cut out some Gills passes. Some neat short passes. I didn't appreciate it at the time but having watched the youtube highlights Mantom flicked the ball on for Rush's late chance. That could have been a really telling contribution. Brief highlights here if you haven't seen them:

Thanks, and much obliged for the reminder.
But after 95 minutes of the real thing, the highlights are just too many lights for one person to endure!
End to end it was; some Blues approach play was very good; but the summary was frequent hoofball from both sides - and it was another defeat!

I was at the same game, I saw him mi**** passes; one in particular in the first half on the left side of the box that looked a promising attack for a second.
You're right: shoot, he didn't!
Head? OK, maybe I forgot a couple. Tackles, as in successful tackles? Ditto.
*I love the way the censor thinks mis-hit is something else!

The censor is automatic, just goes to show how important a hyphon can.:Smile2:
Great! Now all we need is a spellcheck, and there will be no more Humphrees and Shagnastys!

It was a lousy night but the football wasn't bad and pleased me.

I left home at Gillingham at 4.50pm and got into my seat at 8,10p.m along with a few other Gillingham supporting stragglers, A mere 45 miles taking over 3 hours, not helped by having to park over a mile away because we were delayed, Normally arrive early, have a pint get some food, programme and start to get more excited as the build up begins. Not this time, nothing , but starvation and a dry throat, but walking at a lung bursting pace in the rain to get there for some football, plus the 2 hour journey back and we LOST, brilliant

But I did like what I saw of the first half, our young boys steaming into the Gills giving them no time on the ball to settle, dominating midfield and some lovely quick interpassing.. Seeing a back 4 with Kyp, Bwomono and Mitchell whose years add up to less than the time I have been making this trip, shocked me a bit

I had already made the point to my 12 toed Gills mate that we were ripe for the taking and that we would fly around early on but tire by the 70th Minute and the game would be likely won by one mistake.

He thought Southend won the first half, well the bit we saw , and we agreed Evans would steam into his side a bit at half time and strengthen the midfield. M y mate with just one eye in the centre of his forehead said Gills were gaining control in the second half and Southend legs slowing. In the East stand where we chose a range of seats he said Gills were being given a lot of room down the right hand side ( with the big gap between Clifford and Kyp, and forecast that such space would create a number of crosses from the right wing which would probably lead to a goal in or around the 70th minute. He wasnt far out and I wondered why this wasnt being addressed

I said we should bring on fresh legs sooner and this is a common pattern ,and usually one of our lads follows up makes a simple faux par from which all our 18 young children now available to the squad would learn from through bedtime stories

At midnight I sipped the first of a determined approach to my first whisky

I have read most of the match reports above and have very little to add to many of them.
I think the players out there put in great efforts all round and no-one had a "mare".
The team selection was unexpected and settled down well, but lacked creativity and also had too little backing for the lone, very hard working Charlie K.
The goal was hesitation and inexperience.
Sol's leadership from the sidelines ought not to be disparaged, nor the new and current work ethos, fitness, discipline and playing to a plan; however there is only so much that can be done with the limited player availability, AND to not use Hutch is decidedly puzzling when a "spark" is needed.
Another day and Kettle would have carded the early professional foul on Charlie in the 17th minute which would have altered the Gills defending; he (Kettle) would/should have been aware of some of the regular Evans rotational fouling tactics BUT not last night, imo not a good reffing display and with the soft free kick leading to the goal.
Mantom? okay atleast last night, typical Mantom, not a game winner but when is he more than a 6/10 or less than a 6/10?
Milligan is a new player in 2020.
Harry Kyp is a welcome return but 3 months too late to change our fall into Div2.
A Rush goal and a point would have been nice BUT too little.
Joe Shaunhessey looks like he might be a "reborn" player under this regime.
Hopefully Demi will be back for Saturday and we go again.

Back