• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0-1 Gillingham FC

****e West Stand Lino and ref two games in a row. Good game, on to Saturday.

Surprised by the generally positive comments so far - I’m pretty annoyed if I’m honest. Not with the players, but Campbell.
Yes, I know we are down, and yes, I know his hands are tied, but I still think he has a duty to at least try and win each game, otherwise why should we bother?
Baffling team selection and baffling tactics, especially after going 1-0 down, and this against a team we could just about compete with. It was if he couldn’t care less.

Sol seems to have his favourites IMHO which results in us not playing our strongest team. Makes no sense to me why he starts Egbri who offers so little when Barratt and Hutchinson who both seem to have more about them as well as being more physically equipped for the challenge.
Also even with our lack of options there were several ways to give Mitchell Nelson a rest who at the moment looks a liability to me.

Apart from the result, I quite enjoyed the game. We played some really nice one-touch football at times..........with Oxley we probably would have got at least a point...........and with Hopper/Humphrys, all three? Having said that your heart really goes out to Rush....he'll find it difficult to get to sleep tonight, going over and over in his mind what he should have done and kicking himself. He'll know, from that position you've got, at least, to get it on target. IF it had been Kelman I think he may well have buried it.
On to Burton and maybe..........just maybe, with the money from the two home games, we'll be able to get the two Macclesfield lads in (if money is the only thing holding up their signing???)

I've had a quick glance at some these posts so far and I'm wondering whether I was at the same game. The kids did all that was asked of them in the first half. They are all learning and they will make mistakes but we played some very good one touch stuff at times in the first half and fully deserved to go in level at half time. For all those that don't like Sam Mantom, I thought he had a pretty solid performance today and one pass in the first half was sheer class. It was only the Gills defender taking out Kelman that stopped him being in on goal from that Mantom ball. Another that gets mixed reviews, Milligan, was cajoling and encouraging throughout the game. He always wanted the ball and kept the team working together. The two chances that fell to Kelman and Rush were the killers as they did all the hard stuff to get their shots away but sadly neither hit the back of the net.

The home crowd was a bit disjointed tonight and there were some large gaps in the West, but the Blue Voice keep the noise going for the whole game, well done guys. Also a vote of thanks to Trever Kettle. I reckon thats the most number of decisions given our way that I have witnessed from him.

So, did I enjoy the game? absolutely yes, especially the first half. In the second we just lacked that edge to break free from the Gills defenders and punish them, but there were still encouraging signs and I will definitely be back on Saturday for more.

Gills were awful, and were there for the taking, but we had no cutting edge. As I've said before, Charlie seems better and more likely to score as a sub. Egbri's batteries only lasted for the first half in both his games. After that, an experienced goalie is a must. This embargo has killed us. These kids are doing their best, but have been thrown in too soon, with not enough experienced players around them to guide them through.

Surprised by the generally positive comments so far - I’m pretty annoyed if I’m honest. Not with the players, but Campbell.
Yes, I know we are down, and yes, I know his hands are tied, but I still think he has a duty to at least try and win each game, otherwise why should we bother?
Baffling team selection and baffling tactics, especially after going 1-0 down, and this against a team we could just about compete with. It was if he couldn’t care less.
Go on then I’ve bit , tell us how you would have won that ? Let’s have your line up and tactics

Travelled home with 3 Gillingham fans - their view was it was not a goalkeeping error for the goal, just a really good cross.

Thought Sol should have changed things earlier than he did. Egbri had visibly run out of steam 15 minutes before he took him off - Barratt or Hutchinson would have offered both fresh legs and a bit more height in the area too.

Why or why do we persist on bringing everyone back for corners? Surely he might as well leave Egbri on the halfway line - he's hardly going to beat any other players to a header anyway and would offer an outlet and occupy a couple of defenders.

I've had a quick glance at some these post so far and I'm wondering whether I was at the same game. All the kids did all that was asked of them in the first half. They are all learning and they will make mistakes but we played some very good first touch stuff at times in the first half and fully deserved to go in level at half time. For all those that don't like Sam Mantom, I thought he had a pretty solid performance today and one pass in the first half was sheer class. It was only the Gills defender taking out Kelman that stopped him being in on goal from that Mantom ball. Another that gets mixed reeviews, Milligan, was cajoling and encouraging throughout the game. He always wanted the ball and kept the team working together. The two chances that fell to Kelman and Rush were the killers as they did all the hard stuff to get their shots away but sadly neither hit the back of the net.

The home crowd was a bit disjointed tonight and there were some large gaps in the West, but the Blue Voice keep the noise going for the whole game, well done guys. Also a vote of thanks to Trever Kettle. I reckon thats the most number of decisions given our way that I have witnessed from him.

So, did I enjoy the game? absolutely yes, especially the first half. In the second we just lacked that edge to break free from the Gills defenders and punish them, but there were still encouraging signs and I will definitely be back on Saturday for more.

Absolutely agree - I too was wondering if I was at the same game as some posters.

Felt really proud of our players tonight especially the youngsters , was proud to be among great support at the Hall, get home read this thread and hear so many negative comments from our resident experts and I’m *ucked off. Get a check of reality or support a premiership club

Travelled home with 3 Gillingham fans - their view was it was not a goalkeeping error for the goal, just a really good cross.

Thought Sol should have changed things earlier than he did. Egbri had visibly run out of steam 15 minutes before he took him off - Barratt or Hutchinson would have offered both fresh legs and a bit more height in the area too.

Why or why do we persist on bringing everyone back for corners? Surely he might as well leave Egbri on the halfway line - he's hardly going to beat any other players to a header anyway and would offer an outlet and occupy a couple of defenders.

Of course they will say that. As the cross came in, Seaden jumped back rather than move forwards to meet the ball, giving the defender the chance to get there first and head home

I've just watched it again on Sky News. It was a bad one. Young Harry waited for the ball to hit his gloves. He only had to move towards the ball, rather than let their player head it in. I heard Paul Clark on the way home, he said the same, but he said Harry will learn from it.

Go on then I’ve bit , tell us how you would have won that ? Let’s have your line up and tactics
I can’t tell you how I would have won that, but I can tell you how I would have tried. Two up front or some level of support for Kelman to begin with, and start with Hutchinson over Egbri (who should be nowhere near the first team just yet - not a dig at him, just the way I see it).
We would have probably still lost, but I found the approach really negative today, and unnecessarily so.

Well it becoming very predictable.Against a very poor Gillingham we kept our shape but creativity and goalscoring sadly missing.When the opposition score....game over .Can't fault the effort but a number of these youngsters should not be playing until they are ready.Not one player up front who is tall and can head a ball or even someone who can hold the ball and link up play.
How can Hutchinson not be playing in our current position .
Well 0 points from the last 15 shows we're consistent.
The nightmare season continues!

I've just watched it again on Sky News. It was a bad one. Young Harry waited for the ball to hit his gloves. He only had to move towards the ball, rather than let their player head it in. I heard Paul Clark on the way home, he said the same, but he said Harry will learn from it.

Charlie alone up front.

Ridiculous.

Campbell never ever even tries to win a game.

Thought Harry did well on his debut at 18, must be very nerve racking especially in the second half with 800 Gills supporters goading him. Find your comments normally positive SNB, not this time, easy to sit in the stand and see what he should have done, the pressure on him was immense. Saw him 3 times for Great Wakering last season the lad has a future

I’m with Rootshallbloke! I enjoyed the game and felt each one of our team put in a shift. Youngsters will make mistakes, won’t carve out the same opportunities as more seasoned professionals might but this team is learning and will improve. We are more competitive now than we were and are playing some decent football by drawing on the enthusiasm and willingness to work hard and learn of our young players. Matching player to player on paper Gillingham should have cantered home against a team with only three wins all season- and they didn’t. They lucked out to win a game that we deserved at least a draw from. We are playing the players we have and as long as they give of their best and put pride into their team and mine then I will back them all the way.

Oh, and our fans may moan and wail at times but a crowd of over 6,000 shows the great support and supporters we have.

I've had a quick glance at some these post so far and I'm wondering whether I was at the same game. All the kids did all that was asked of them in the first half. They are all learning and they will make mistakes but we played some very good first touch stuff at times in the first half and fully deserved to go in level at half time. For all those that don't like Sam Mantom, I thought he had a pretty solid performance today and one pass in the first half was sheer class. It was only the Gills defender taking out Kelman that stopped him being in on goal from that Mantom ball. Another that gets mixed reeviews, Milligan, was cajoling and encouraging throughout the game. He always wanted the ball and kept the team working together. The two chances that fell to Kelman and Rush were the killers as they did all the hard stuff to get their shots away but sadly neither hit the back of the net.

Completely agree. Some of those knocking Mantom and Milligan in these threads are doing it based on not hearing their names mentioned. FFS If you are listening to the game on the radio don’t even think about reviewing the game!!!!!!!!

All the players put in a shift and while there were some errors from the youngsters we know that will happen and we are competitive in matches.
My biggest gripe is Sol. Why not make changes earlier? Why not try and attack at 1 0 down. Egbri wasn’t getting anything out of them second half and we had options on the bench. Even Barrett having a dangerous long throw would have been a benefit. Really worry that he is not the footballing genius I hoped but bearing in mind what he has to work with I’ll still give him the benefit of the doubt.

Back