• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

How did the referee not give a penalty for the guy pulling at Prosser?!?

Payne doesn't release the ball quickly enough and ends up running into trouble most of the time.

I disagree with this score. There's a player in Jack definitely, he's very good with the ball at his feet and he's quick to turn, but there's just no end product and no impact on the game for me, and there hasn't been for some time. He runs around a lot, looking skilfull with the ball at his feet, but he doesn't get his head up and do anything with it. It may come with experience, and I hope it does, but i'm just not sure about his footballing brain. He's a luxury player, and for me this is not the time to be playing luxury players.

It may be a slightly controversial view, though I know i'm not the only one who thinks this. In L1 you simply have to take you chances and 12 yards out and unopposed he fluffed the best chance of the match. We have to judge him against the standards of other players not go soft on him because he's one of our own. it was the same last week, he looked good, but what did he actually do? What impact did he have on the game? None.

He needs to learn and learn quick, and I really hope he does because it would great to see an academy prospect really flourish at our club for a change.
You're not alone, I agree with all of this. He makes some amazing runs but gets pushed off the ball so easily. If he had Deegan's physique, he would be an excellent prospect.

I disagree with this score. There's a player in Jack definitely, he's very good with the ball at his feet and he's quick to turn, but there's just no end product and no impact on the game for me, and there hasn't been for some time. He runs around a lot, looking skilfull with the ball at his feet, but he doesn't get his head up and do anything with it. It may come with experience, and I hope it does, but i'm just not sure about his footballing brain. He's a luxury player, and for me this is not the time to be playing luxury players.

It may be a slightly controversial view, though I know i'm not the only one who thinks this. In L1 you simply have to take you chances and 12 yards out and unopposed he fluffed the best chance of the match. We have to judge him against the standards of other players not go soft on him because he's one of our own. it was the same last week, he looked good, but what did he actually do? What impact did he have on the game? None.

He needs to learn and learn quick, and I really hope he does because it would great to see an academy prospect really flourish at our club for a change.
Agree with you, and my score is probably generous for his performance today, he's just one of the few players who actually offer a bit of excitement when he gets the ball and runs at people.

With the right coaching he'll be a great player but he does need to work on when to keep going and when to look for a pass. He's improved massively on his tackling and strength but that's got to be the next step. And you're spot on, he had to score that chance and had it been Mooney/Weston/Leonard they'd be getting the blame for a defeat.

Driving home I thought about the plus points from today. A big improvement from last Saturday, and the effort was there. Prosser had a solid game but the main thing that stuck in my mind as a plus? Noel Hunt getting 90 minutes on the pitch without getting injured or substituted. He will have benefited from that on the confidence and sharpness front and the Hunt moaners will be without their fix for a week. I'm not going to bother with the negatives apart from the fact that we still urgently need a bit more class in the side. Hopefully that will happen over the next week or two.

I am starting to think that Ryan Leonard is Phil Brown's love child !
Never gets substituted and both Atkinson and Timlin were taken off both having better games than him.

Atkinson might have been doing the grafting stuff but he was absolutely useless in the final third.

He got clean through and froze. When he had the ball in wide positions failed to do anything with it. I knew he was going to be taken off for Weston.

I think we got found out through the middle today. All game I was saying that Barrett and Prosser were just letting the payers come onto them and that was essentially what went wrong as we allowed their centre half to run from his own half unchallenged, then pass to a pacy forward who ran on further unchallenged before slotting it wide to someone who scored.

Hunt I thought was immense and very unlucky. Payne played very well, a step up from last year, but still got caught on the ball and lacks the clinical finishing ability. He should have scored in the second half when Hunt knocked the ball down for him.

Hopefully the ball will start going in before confidence drops.

I thought they both did well today.

Thought Hunt looked class for most of the game and faded later on, which seeing as he hasnt been playing and it was very hot was unsurprising. His link up play and leading the line was excellent at times. If he can stay fit think he is going to do well.

Payne was much better as well, used the ball better and ran into dead ends less, although frustratingly tried to do too much in the last minutes to lose the ball. Much better though, shame he couldnt hit the target though, that goes in and its a different game.

Just very very unlucky today think our season will depend Hunts fitness and partner up front,at times his neat flick ons we're just not read by the players around him.

I would like to thank all the players for their efforts, unfortunately the best team lost.

All that shooting practice before the game and no b&gger shoots during it! (by the way Piggott never missed a shot during the warm up)

Managers game plan in the final third seems to be ... get it wide cross and hope (as it is with corners)! How about actually playing the ball into the channels for a change and creating real quality chances for players... I know we can do it that way as we did so against Brighton and it looked really threatening too.

When was the last time we scored from a corner or free kick? I think the blame for this ineptitude lays firmly at the coaching staff's door!

Much better today. Thought we were nice and compact first half and really got at them in the second. The obvious problem was the fact that we couldn't put the ball in the net through either bad luck, poor finishing or the goalkeeper. At this level its clear we need to take these opportunities as teams will take theirs more often than not. (Hunt, IMO, was excellent and will get better.)

Last week I bemoaned the fact that we never competed vs. Walsall and felt we had to earn the right to win games by being in them first and foremost. Today we were extremely competitive and, like Weds where I felt we could've won the game, we can count ourselves unlucky.

Looking at the bigger picture of one goal in five games and only a return of two points from twelve it obviously doesn't make good reading, but judged solely on today I think there was encouraging signs. Depends on what you want to focus on I suppose. Tonight, after four league games, I'll take the positives from the great effort from the team that could've beaten the last years play off finalists by three or four goals.

A good performance today against a team that is likely to be automatically promoted, but good performances are no good without some goal scoring............ come on PB, bring in a striker - don't worry about 20 goals per season, even 10 goals per season would be nice.

Swindon won because they could open up our defence and we were not clever enough to open up theirs. Time and time again we simply crossed balls into the box more in hope than anything else.

Well,that's phill brown for you. ,your not going to get anything else so get ready for a long season and just hope we finish fifth from bottom

Thought we looked ok today, way better than against Walsall, and we played some decent stuff. I don't think we deserved to lose, we looked the better of the two sides for a lot of the game, and we created more chances than them. But, they took the chance to score and swiped the 3 points. Didn't help that the ref had a shocker!

i really don't buy the 'need a striker and a winger' stuff, because really I don't think that will solve the problem. We had (and lost) BBBC, who also couldn't hit a barn door until he got some support, then he goes up the road to Cambridge, who play him with a partner, and guess what? For the record, we have a number of creative players, Coker, Barrett, Hurst, Worrall, Payne, Weston, Hunt... Need I continue? I very much get the feeling that their creative edge is stifled by the defensive focus, and that is undermining confidence going forward.

For me, we urgently need an attacking coach, specifically to help build confidence in front of goal and to inspire more creativity, and Mr Brown needs to stop fiddling about with the formation and stick to a 442 or he needs to find a better way of executing 451 so that the strikers gave half a chance of being fed.

No big surprise today, unless we can start getting the ball in there final third, with players that can take the chances that come to them we will continue to lose by the odd goal however we play. It sounds like we didnt play to bad, but ones again we come away with nothing. Today we signed a right back, he may be very usefull, but we need someone who can put the ball in the back of the net, not a right back.

Swindon won because they could open up our defence and we were not clever enough to open up theirs. Time and time again we simply crossed balls into the box more in hope than anything else.

Swindon won because they took their one and only real chance and nailed it. The number 10 was dangerous but we coped with him most of the time.

Absolutely gutted to have lost today as I felt we dominated much of the game, I question the subs as Worrall was more effective on the left with Coker. Bringing Weston on forced Worrall to the right so we lost his impetus. Felt Pigott should have come on earlier too. Wordsworth continues not to live up to his pre-season form.

Bentley - 6.5, didn't have to do much at all so hard to mark higher. If he's going to go up for corners near the end, then the least we can do is aim for him. Was a totally pointless move
White - 7, solid, battling performance, got forward lots and crossed several times
Prosser - 7.5, thought he did really well, confident and played the ball around a bit too
Barrett - 7, determined performance and coped well with the forward threat
Coker - 7.5, great play in the 1st half with Worrall
Atkinson - 6.5, lots of energy as usual but doesn't really get the forward movement going
Leonard - 7, some nice play, the throws are getting nearer the danger area
Timlin - 8, silly booking, typical Tims' performance
Worrall - 9, star man, again. This guy is just amazing, should be first name on the team sheet. Delivered consistently, looked our most dangerous player
Payne - 6.5, worth a go with Hunt but I didn't feel they had any understanding, should definitely have scored
Hunt - 8, full of energy, lots of determination. Gets up really well for headers against taller opponents

Subs:
Weston for Atkinson - wasn't the answer for me today, weakened our best provider
Worsdworth for Timlin - presumably to protect Tims after his yellow card. Didn't bring much to the table
Pigott for Barrett - brave move but felt it was too late

Officials:
The ref is one who always irritates me, when are we going to get some consistency and someone to clamp down on time wasting?

This is part of the problem. We are very one-dimensional. We never get behind the opposition or attempt to penetrate through the middle. Just spread it slowly to the wings and take an age to swing a hopeful cross into the area, by which time the opposition defence are set and able to deal with it easily. Get Wordsworth into the number 10 role that Payne was in, get him on the ball through the middle and get someone making some intelligent runs off him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get Wordsworth into the number 10 role that Payne was in, get him on the ball through the middle and get someone making some intelligent runs off him!
I think this would work well, might break Worsdworth free of whatever shackles seem to be inhibiting him at the moment.

Swindon won because they took their one and only real chance and nailed it. The number 10 was dangerous but we coped with him most of the time.

Absolutely gutted to have lost today as I felt we dominated much of the game, I question the subs as Worrall was more effective on the left with Coker. Bringing Weston on forced Worrall to the right so we lost his impetus. Felt Pigott should have come on earlier too. Wordsworth continues not to live up to his pre-season form.

Bentley - 6.5, didn't have to do much at all so hard to mark higher. If he's going to go up for corners near the end, then the least we can do is aim for him. Was a totally pointless move
White - 7, solid, battling performance, got forward lots and crossed several times
Prosser - 7.5, thought he did really well, confident and played the ball around a bit too
Barrett - 7, determined performance and coped well with the forward threat
Coker - 7.5, great play in the 1st half with Worrall
Atkinson - 6.5, lots of energy as usual but doesn't really get the forward movement going
Leonard - 7, some nice play, the throws are getting nearer the danger area
Timlin - 8, silly booking, typical Tims' performance
Worrall - 9, star man, again. This guy is just amazing, should be first name on the team sheet. Delivered consistently, looked our most dangerous player
Payne - 6.5, worth a go with Hunt but I didn't feel they had any understanding, should definitely have scored
Hunt - 8, full of energy, lots of determination. Gets up really well for headers against taller opponents

Subs:
Weston for Atkinson - wasn't the answer for me today, weakened our best provider
Worsdworth for Timlin - presumably to protect Tims after his yellow card. Didn't bring much to the table
Pigott for Barrett - brave move but felt it was too late

Officials:
The ref is one who always irritates me, when are we going to get some consistency and someone to clamp down on time wasting?

Agree with most of that.

Thought Payne actuall did quite well today, still lost the ball a few times by trying too much but a much better performance than last Saturday.

Interested to see how Wordsworth would do though in that position.

What's worrying is that we are playing so well but still losing , I can't wait for us to play badly and nick a lucky win , then I think our fortunes might change

Back