• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

TV Highlights Southend United 0-1 Wimbledon

Two things.

Turner has got to take charge there as an outfield player in windy conditions and just clear the stand.

I feel that if Bishop was in goal the ball, turner and pigot would’ve been in the stand...

Shocking.
Assuming that Oxley didn't shout that there was a man running behind him I don't see how it's Turner's fault. He wouldn't have known someone was behind him, as far as he was concerned he was stopping so that he could get out of the way of Oxley's kick. Oxley is in a better position to kick it upfield than Turner, who would have to pivot on the ball first before he could play it out. Defenders stop all the time when they see the keeper running out because that's the sign that the keeper wants the ball, once Oxley started he shouldn't have stopped.

If Turner’s not aware of piggotts whereabouts then he needs to clear the ball
I've watched it again and Turner actually does turn to look where Piggott is and only stops after seeing him, unfortunately he turns to look whilst Oxley is still running. He likely stopped because he realised a running Oxley was easily getting to the ball first, not realising Oxley had put the brakes on.

Two things.

Turner has got to take charge there as an outfield player in windy conditions and just clear the stand.

I feel that if Bishop was in goal the ball, turner and pigot would’ve been in the stand...

Shocking.
...providing he didn't slip as for 3-1 at Scunthorpe on Tuesday night.

As said, the problem is Turner looks around rather than concentrating on Oxley and the ball.
Why turn? Did he intend to foul Pigott if needs be? I doubt it.
What did he expect to see? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon, to borrow from Basil Fawlty.

I know it's no excuse for two senior pros not taking charge of the situation but what's that white stuff on the pitch that the ball hits as it lands on the ground? Toilet roll? Appropriate if it is. Whatever, it certainly seems to hold the ball up and stop it from going through to Oxley as quickly as it would otherwise. Must mention that to CP … another excuse. Seems harsh to single out Macca for failing to score thanks to a desperate block. Was Bunn's chance that he put wide early in the game just as easy? Simple fact, as has been said, we didn't create enough chances.

I blame Turner more than Oxley, even if Turner thought Ox was coming for the ball he should have followed it through and shielded it from Pigott

Anton was slow, but at least he could read the game!

I thought at the time that Turner should have reacted quicker and just whack it clear. The video footage just confirms it. Did Turner think Oxley was coming for it, was there a call? I do wonder whether Bishop would have been out of his box quicker and made the clearance. At the end of the day it really doesn't matter as none the things I wanted to happen did.
Hope all the critics have seen one of the best Premiership keepers and THE best premiership central defender re-enact this scenario in the same swirling-wind conditions for Liverpool this afternoon.

Having looked at the incident several times, it is clear that the one thing that is totally blameless is the wind (or rather the lack of it at that particular moment). To me it looked like the sort of goal you see conceded by teams spiralling towards relegation........although in our case we had better options to play instead of both guilty parties, so the blame should be apportioned between Oxley, Turner.....and Powell.

Despite family season tickets, couldn't be arsed to go as had better committments, but looks on the video evidence that the goal has to be 100% down to Oxley

I think Oxley is 99% to blame. He started to come, and would of got there easily, so Turner stopped.

He had one save to make which he ballsed up and was lucky to get away with, messed up for the goal and did a couple of punches.

Terrible decision to bring him back after zero football since December.

I was in the 50/50 camp, but having seen it several times, Oxley definitely comes and then stops for some reason. Turner slowed up seeing that Oxley could easily make it.

So yes, my final answer is Oxley and don't get me started about his inclusion ahead of Bishop.

I was in the 50/50 camp, but having seen it several times, Oxley definitely comes and then stops for some reason. Turner slowed up seeing that Oxley could easily make it.

So yes, my final answer is Oxley and don't get me started about his inclusion ahead of Bishop.
Sorry Andy but Powell was absolutely right to restore Oxley as soon as possible.Our goose would probably have been cooked a lot earlier if young Bishop had had to try and cope with those conditions.
As for the goal-it happened-almost exactly the same for world-class Allison and Van Dijk at Fulham yesterday,though I do think it was a big mistake to choose Turner instead of Moore.
And if Dieng was going to start,there was only one position for him,up front ,ahead of Cox ,to win some headers.

It was similar to the Alison/Van Dijk mix-up in Liverpool's game on Sunday, the panel on Sky were all of the view it was the keepers responsibility, rather than the centre half with his back to play. Having looked at it again, I can see why turner stops, he's expecting Oxley to deal with it, put it in the stand if needs be, personally I think Oxley is more to blame , although a quicker centre back could of done a better job in shielding the ball back to him.

Sorry Andy but Powell was absolutely right to restore Oxley as soon as possible.Our goose would probably have been cooked a lot earlier if young Bishop had had to try and cope with those conditions.

I'd have agreed with you last season, but for me Oxley hasn't performed to his high standards of last season throughout the campaign and on Saturday had very little to do but for the goal and a free-kick which he parried back out into the danger zone.

Bishop has made a couple of errors, but which keeper doesn't, yet he single handedly won us our last home victory and was growing in every aspect of his keeping.

He can hardly be blamed when the defence play musical statues while the likes of Marquis and others have free headers from six yards out or we even head them in ourselves!

Back