• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0-2 Carlisle united

Not sure where to begin. Given they were decent, you could tell in the first five minutes we were up against it, they moved the ball quickly and we didn’t get a sniff of the ball. When we did attempt to get into the match we looked disjointed (the kindest word I could think of). Three players went for the same header (when it skimmed of Cordner’s head for a near OG), too often we got in each other’s way, even colliding at times, while their forwards peeled off our central pairing at will. We did not react to the loose balls and their keeper did not have one save to make in open play. The right back was probably their weak-link, did we attack him? Did we hell. For their first goal Cordner went for a header he was never going to win, and for the second, it was a case of ‘play it round us statues at your leisure lads’. We had plenty of free kick opportunities, wasting them all, and I can’t wait to hear the explanation re the penalty taker (did the main two contenders bottle it maybe?). Holmes playing up top on his own summed this fiasco up for me. We have now not scored at Roots Hall in the last six games. Paul Clark summed it up at the end – NO KNOWLEDGE, NO PREPARATION, NO VARIETY.
Doomed.

You know the worst part? There’s absolutely no end to this slide down the leagues in site

Not 2 weeks ago we all heard the chairman confess he has no plans in place because he doesn’t know what division we’ll be in!!!!

Well the writing is already on the wall for another slow start to a transfer window this summer because every single action we do is reactive rather than proactive

The clubs being run into the ground. The players are ****. I feel sorry for MM, I do, but he isn’t blameless. His subs are pathetic. We’re chasing a game today and we’ve made 3 like for likes

There’s evidence of ill discipline creeping in now too with the fiasco with the last 2 penalties. ANG scored at Scunthorpe so it got swept under the rug but clubs have designated penalty takers. Even U8’s teams can manage this. Akinola has made himself look a complete prick today in more ways than one, to take the pen in the first place and then roll in back to the keeper for the very definition of “throw your cap on it”

It is over. We are dead and we may never come back

I think most of the fault for this season lays with Ron but MM's subs today made absolutely no sense. Acquah was playing well for us yet he inexplicably got replaced with Holmes, who very clearly is not a target man and basically spent 30 minutes watching balls fly over his head. I know we lack a goalscorer but sticking a midfielder up front and hoping for the best is extremely desperate. I hope Olayinka isn't badly injured because we only seem capable of looking like a real football team when he's on the pitch.

Unforgivable.

No passion, heart or fight.
No winning game plan.
No attacking intent.
No togetherness.
No quality.
Ill-discipline.
Players arguing over who takes a penalty.
Players not knowing who should be taking the corner.
Aimless long balls forward to ****ing Ricky Holmes.
Carlisle defenders sweeping up all of our clearances without pressure or challenge.
Absolute pure, unadulterated dog ****.

I'm.usually positive and get behind things like the messages to the players through the Trust, and I get that it was worth a go, but I didn't do it because I knew in the back of my mind that this would happen today.

If the messages got through to them then they've been well and truly thrown back in everybody's face, with a middle finger thrown in for food measure. They don't give a ****.

Unacceptable.

I'm getting to the point now where I'd rather we just get put of our misery and then sack everybody off. And I mean everybody. The atmosphere and mentality stink to high heaven and there are players here who have been poisoned by what's been going on here for the last few years. We need freshness. Get rid of the lot and start with a completely blank canvas next season.

After Harrogate felt this game was winnable,but you dont win any game without committment and desire which was sadly lacking today.Big opportunity to close the gap which wasnt taken.We are rapidly running out of games and cant honestly believe we are going to escape the drop.

Realistically there is only one player today that I would expect to line up for us next season that played today and that is Clifford. A few will go because they are better than NL (just), a couple might decide to retire and the rest, well who knows/cares. Other clubs have established they aren't good enough already which is why they plying their trade with us. And the manager, nice guy I'm sure and I wish him well but like most of his players simply not good enough I'm afraid. May can't come quick enough for me.

In recent weeks I've been upset with our lack of bravery. Now that sadness has transformed into pure anger at our plight.

Akinola shouldn't kick another ball in a SUFC shirt for the arrogance he showed with that penalty. He has nothing to be arrogant about too, I think Theo Robinson is a class above him and he's bang average.

We had no energy or fight to go toe-to-toe with an attacking Carlisle team. Every time an SUFC player broke forward, nobody helped them out.

Hopeless long balls to nobody and Acquah gets taken off before Akinola, which was a farce in itself.

Sod the whole lot of them, the chairman, the management staff, the players. Put this club out of it's misery, Southend United is finished.

I wish there was a way for the fans to wrestle control from Ron's hands and for a proper management team to be appointed.

It's not going to happen. We are stuck with Ron and we are plummeting.

Today was another game where following southend is so painful. There have been far too many of late.

This is a fantastic club with really loyal fans but this feels like a death by a thousand cuts.

Worst still, we have to play Orient and Col u soon, who will both take great pleasure in relegating us.

I know this is League Two, but the lack of technique is breathtaking.
Corners, control, dead-balls, passing, speed, I can't comment about shots, there were none, despite the official stat claiming one more than the pen.
They don't believe in each other, do they?
There's no running off the ball worth a damn, and no real commitment.
The ball reached Holmes in the box at the end, and he looked at it like it was a grenade.
Cordner and Clifford, for the second match running was OK.
The rest 3/4/5 - 10 at best.
It will be a dereliction of duty if CP doesn't ask MM about the penalty taker decision.
If the manager, it says here, claims Akinola was the man for the job, the follow-up is why, bearing in mind ANG's last successful hit?

Oxley 5
Demetriou 5
Hobson 5
Cordner 5
Clifford 5
McCormack 6
Ferguson 5
ANG 6 MOTM
RHF 5
Akinola 4
Acquah 5

Taylor 5
Holmes 4
Goodship 4
Mellis 4
Bwomono 5

We can moan about the penalty all day, but if anyone thinks it would have a been different outcome, they are deluded. Carlisle like so many teams at Roots Hall were streets ahead of us. They had many more gears to go into if needed and they have I think the third worst away record in the division. Says it all, thank god we are away next game. Probably win at Morecambe and then lose at home to creepy. So sad UTB

Just got home from work & seen the score. Bollocks.

Seems that we’re not getting many opportunities to score anyway but when we do we balls it up.

Not going to get out of this are we?...☹?

First half an hour was awful and we looked like we had no chance to get back into the game. But for once we get a slice of luck and a questionable penalty is actually given to us and then our striker decides to try and be clever rather than just hit the ****ing ball properly. You are a League 2 striker, so take the penalty like one.

The substitutions were completely baffling. I can only imagine playing Ricky Holmes up front by himself hasn’t been practiced in training because then maybe MM would have realised it would have the same impact as being down to 10 men and having nobody up front. Seriously, what the **** was MM thinking swapping Acquah for Holmes?

For me we needed to win 2 of the 3 games before our trip to Col U to have a chance of staying up. Technically we can still do that but I won’t be holding my breath. Especially when one of those games is Morecambe.

Back