• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0-2 Carlisle united

When morale is low, as it is; then the persons' or players' thoughts aren't so much on the next match but focused on the next defeat.
Losers will be losers.
Play for a draw and you ( we) won't win.

Fair point, but it was symbolic of what is so very wrong at the moment. A lackadaisical approach to what was a potential key moment in the game, confirmed to a lot of people how little relegation means to many of these players. As I have intimated elsewhere there are very few of the current squad that I would want alongside me in the trenches, and for whatever ability he might have, sadly Akinola is not one of them.
I'm not sure his cack penalty was indicative of someone who doesn't care about relegation.
It was crap, but I suggest you Google the 'Panenka' attempt by Ademola Lookman for Fulham against West Ham last November.
In the very last minute he actually chips the ball into Fabianski's open arms.
It cost his side a point, and maybe their Prem League place.
Does he care? Of course, he does.
Akinola probably hoped the ground would swallow him up at that moment he missed.
He's still the best forward we have.
That might not be saying something, but he wins balls in the air, no one else does. He generally looks more threatening than anyone else.
Sure, it was a pivotal moment, but in the end, we would have lost anyway perhaps?
After all, remind me of all those shots on target we had or other near misses?

Far more fun then reality, you playing goodship and acquah upfront? Hows that working out ?
Been playing a counter attacking 4-4-1-1 with Akinola leading the line and Olayinka up for support. Goodship went out on loan to NL and Acquah is our backup target man.

Playing Sam Hart as LM in front of Clifford at LB, which is proving to be a solid and fearsome partnership getting forward and back.

I've given the wingers a licence to run at their opposite numbers, ANG has been rather impressive in that respect.

Shaun Hobson and Johnny White in the centre creating a rock solid defence.

Getting this squad to score consistently is like trying to press water out of a stone I must admit!

I'm not sure his cack penalty was indicative of someone who doesn't care about relegation.
It was crap, but I suggest you Google the 'Panenka' attempt by Ademola Lookman for Fulham against West Ham last November.
In the very last minute he actually chips the ball into Fabianski's open arms.
It cost his side a point, and maybe their Prem League place.
Does he care? Of course, he does.
Akinola probably hoped the ground would swallow him up at that moment he missed.
He's still the best forward we have.
That might not be saying something, but he wins balls in the air, no one else does. He generally looks more threatening than anyone else.
Sure, it was a pivotal moment, but in the end, we would have lost anyway perhaps?
After all, remind me of all those shots on target we had or other near misses?
Yes, I was initially very angry at him but now realise that anger is misplaced. The fault surely lies in the organisation of the side, sending them out not having a designated penalty taker and a series of command after him. The anarchy of the one who was fouled or the first to grab the ball taking resposibility for the spot kick is not, I think, how most clubs do it?

Akinola has shown himself to be your typical thick, arrogant footballer, who is more interested in getting likes on Tik Tok than winning a game of football.

I’d like to retract the above comment I made yesterday. Akinola is not the reason behind our current predicament, and by all accounts is a pretty decent guy.

But I make no apology for being angry, because I still am.

I still feel the set up was from the outset naive and bordering on the kamakazi

It seemed like, right we desperately need to score, so we will bung on the equivalent of 4 forwards and hopefully they will do something. Nothing defensive about the line up at all, in theory it was packed with attacking intent. Getting Acquah, ANG, RHF and Akinola on the pitch together is throwing everything it appeared at lady luck, given they seemed as a pack confused about their roles
Whilst RHF has been improving a bit on the cover side he looked completely lost this time out , seemingly unsure whether to go forward or track back, especially with the other 3 lined up with him. that lack of confidence in key moments led him to give the ball away 9 times, Equally ANG had a good game in many respects trying to get forward but again if you think of him as potentially one of 4 operating with RHF , and Mac and Ferguson offering some defensive duties, that wasnt happening either
That left Mac and Ferguson to cope mostly on their own. Mac started well, I couldnt quite believe how much ground he attempted to cover and then as a consequence the inevitable happened
It was obvious from the outset we would be run through and as such I immediately predicted we would go one down and subsequently commented they would score again given our line up where our team seemed pretty confused about their positioning. It was, and this is my first direct criticism of Mm, naive in the extreme

Yes, I was initially very angry at him but now realise that anger is misplaced. The fault surely lies in the organisation of the side, sending them out not having a designated penalty taker and a series of command after him. The anarchy of the one who was fouled or the first to grab the ball taking resposibility for the spot kick is not, I think, how most clubs do it?
MM said he was the designated penalty taker in the post match interview (apparently he had a very good record for penalties last year taking them exactly like that), the reason it wasn't apparent is because we've only had 3 penalties the entire season and he wasn't on the pitch for the other 2.

Regards to the penalty incident. MM talking ****! He just covering for Akinola...... jd is sufc penalty taker! When ang went to take the penalty against scunthorpe, jd wanted to take the penalty and the same thing yesterday.

For JD to let someone else take it is worrying , for it to happen twice in 3 weeks is shocking and I’m not sure what it says about the characters we have on the pitch
Totally agree, Says everything about leadership and team morale...or lack off and the total lack of leadership by both the manager and captain on the pitch, totally embarrassing and people are suggesting MM should be here at the start of next season! He clearly does not have it for professional football league management.

For JD to let someone else take it is worrying , for it to happen twice in 3 weeks is shocking and I’m not sure what it says about the characters we have on the pitch
Think it shows just how useless MM is managing his first league team. Egos come first sadly and MM just rolls with it.

MM said he was the designated penalty taker in the post match interview (apparently he had a very good record for penalties last year taking them exactly like that), the reason it wasn't apparent is because we've only had 3 penalties the entire season and he wasn't on the pitch for the other 2.
On that basis, If Akinola is the designated penalty taker then ANG must be number two as, in the absence of SA, he took responsibility for the Scunthorpe (just did enough) penalty. Where exactly does that leave JD, one of the most senior players and IIRC one of our most successful takers of spot kicks last season? He was on the pitch when the Scunny one was awarded

Back