• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0-2 Carlisle united

Needed a win today. A draw would have not really been good enough. But we end up as the only one of the bottom five to not get a point. Carlisle were good but they are no better than Bolton, Salford or Newport yet our relegation rivals managed to get points off them yesterday. Failure to win at Morecambe on Tuesday (which we have never managed in the league) and we will be too far adrift I fear. Oh well............time to drink the hemlock.....

Oxley 5, could have done better for the first goal
Demi 6 - tried hard, ran well but should have insisted on taking the penalty.
Hobson 5 - a reasonable defensive performance but he can't pass for toffee...
Cordner 5 - poorer than at Harrogate. Disappointing.
Clifford 7 - didn't do much wrong. One particularly good free kick that our strikers should have done better with and a couple of good corners plus some well judged tackles.
RHF 5 - some good runs but either fails to get past the third man or hashes the pass
Macca 6 - started well I thought but quickly hampered with an injury that he may have carried intoi the match...?
Ferguson 4 - anonymous for much of the match
ANG 9 - the one shining light in our team today. Some great runs, good pace, good lay offs. my MOM by far.
Acquah 7 - a good performance with headers won for once and good lay offs. Excellent work to win the ball and pass it on perfectly for Akinola to be fouled in the area. Why on Earth was he taken off....?
Akinola 3 - has been poor of late and was even worse today BUT on top of that never, ever again must he be allowed to take a penalty. What was he thinking? Ridiculous showboating. The match could have taken a different aspect if he had scored that and he is definitely off my Christmas card list. Pillock.

Subs
Holmes 5 - tried hard I thought but not good enough I'm afraid.
Bwomono 7 - actually defended well in the 20 minutes he was on and can at least pass the ball accurately.
Taylor 6 - he started well but faded.
Mellis 4 - anonymous
Goodship 5 - one or two good touches but........

Foolishly, I went in to this game off the back of last weekends result with a fair bit of optimism and thought we'd get a good result, even more so after some results going our way yesterday. I expect to see a side with a bit of confidence that will take the game to the opposition given our need for points but instead what we got was a pile of ****. No effort, at 1-0 down we are strolling around the pitch as if we've already been promoted and were now just playing out the remaining fixtures, No passion.. even from the likes of JD and Macca, we almost settled for the defeat. No quality, we know it's a squad that lacks this anyway but last weekend we saw some quality, this weekend we saw none. We saw no management from the manager, the whole penalty debacle was a joke. I'm a fan of Sim, I like what he brings to the team even without the goals but today he put himself above the team and wanted to score for his own ego. A strong manager steps in at this point, or captain for that matter and shut this down. MM then plays his joker card, Ricky Holmes as a lone striker.. excellent decision again Mark. At this point, I'm just repeating all that I've said about the manager already. I still don't think he is up to the job and shouldn't be kept on when relegation is confirmed.

Sadly Ron has been blamed, MM has been blamed but I think we are where we are because we have capable players that continually make basic errors. We have been so close to a bundle of more points this season but that nous, that edge, that craft has been missing. These players are collectively taking us down and they don't seem to know it's their fault or that they can affect change.

Massive rebuilding job for MM or someone else?.

I think it's got to be someone else. I hate seeing people lose their jobs but the scars of this season will take a while to disappear. We can't afford to allow him to use the budget, build his team and then three games in without a win the fans calling for his head. Need someone who will at least get given time in the first 3 months by the fanbase. He won't if we get off to a bad start - which is highly likely I suspect.

Not sure where to begin. Given they were decent, you could tell in the first five minutes we were up against it, they moved the ball quickly and we didn’t get a sniff of the ball. When we did attempt to get into the match we looked disjointed (the kindest word I could think of). Three players went for the same header (when it skimmed of Cordner’s head for a near OG), too often we got in each other’s way, even colliding at times, while their forwards peeled off our central pairing at will. We did not react to the loose balls and their keeper did not have one save to make in open play. The right back was probably their weak-link, did we attack him? Did we hell. For their first goal Cordner went for a header he was never going to win, and for the second, it was a case of ‘play it round us statues at your leisure lads’. We had plenty of free kick opportunities, wasting them all, and I can’t wait to hear the explanation re the penalty taker (did the main two contenders bottle it maybe?). Holmes playing up top on his own summed this fiasco up for me. We have now not scored at Roots Hall in the last six games. Paul Clark summed it up at the end – NO KNOWLEDGE, NO PREPARATION, NO VARIETY.
Doomed.

Excellently put.

First 11 except akinola minus 10
Akinola minus 100
MM for the worst impression of a football manager in history and getting away with it months after he should of been sacked minus 1000

The last 5/6 games we could easily have won 3/4 of them with a more competent manager - the teams we played were that poor but we play for the draw.

Harrogate was actually the worst result of the season - it created so much false hope only for us to play like we did today. No one shooting, no effort, just nothing.

These players maybe poor but they are being told to play this overly defensive way....not one person left up field when we conceded a corner, no one attacking the box, passing 1000 times around the box or crossing to no one as most of our team are behind Mark Oxley they are that deep.

Sacking MM was the right decision about 10 games ago, its too late now - not even the most seasoned of managers could keep us up with 7 games to go.

At the end of this season there is probably no more than 4 players id want to see in a Southend shirt again and I never ever want to see MM ever again in football - the guy is a fraud of the highest order

the writing has been on the wall for a long time....sadly
and today the lid is on the coffin, Tuesday night the first nails start to go in for sure

its poor from the Top to the Bottom
Chairman....well we all know this one, so no point going there, time to move on
the Manager must be a magical story teller, because he spun a good tale to Ron that he was good , and yes I know some of you still find him blameless for this $hit but he isn't so wake and smell the coffee
the players also have to take a role is this season long Panto that we have been forced to endure again

As for the supporters we are left knowing that next season we should be back in the ground and watching because we love and will follow this club through anything and next season will be the test for us as well, some will stay away ,many will pay out again for their season tickets because we love to watch our team, there will be some grounds to re-visit again

it just breaks my heart to think we are going out of league football and it is not a easy league to get out of at the top but another one to fall out of at the bottom

If their was a game this season where from top to bottom to gives us indication where we are at its this 1......... out of are depth! Management team again clueless. Doesn't seem to know his own penalty taker (wtf). Players well their just pathetic to be honest. No urgency and quality to get themselves back into the game. Did we have a shot on goal? Apart from akinola **** poor penalty, their wasn't much else....

End of the day we just aren't good enough to stay up! We literally have no 1 in the final third who can create and score goals....... worst ever state iv seen this club in ?

They were better organised than us with attacking players who knew where the goal is. They pushed us back and when we cleared it was a generally a hoof straight to their defenders because we had no one up. MM's substitutions were completely ineffective. I thought ANG and Emile played quite well but you could see the way it was going to go within the first ten minutes. The better team won. I'm sorry for the guy but I think the Akinola penalty miss will come to be seen as emblematic of our worst ever season.

I will not, after 40 years of supporting the club spend another penny to support Ron Martin....the club i love is dead to me whilst that parasite it at the helm......i have had enough; suggest we put some money to good use and start a Phoenix. SOUTHEND FC

Oxley 5
Demetriou 4
Hobson 5
Cordner 4
Clifford 5
McCormack 5
Ferguson 4
ANG 5
RHF 4
Akinola 4
Acquah 6

Taylor 4
Holmes 4
Goodship 4
Mellis 4
Bwomono 5

I think it's got to be someone else. I hate seeing people lose their jobs but the scars of this season will take a while to disappear. We can't afford to allow him to use the budget, build his team and then three games in without a win the fans calling for his head. Need someone who will at least get given time in the first 3 months by the fanbase. He won't if we get off to a bad start - which is highly likely I suspect.

You may well be right, but I can't see Ron sacking MM. He really seems to believe in "the Project" and he can't afford to pay him and his assistants off anyway. Whilst MM could have been sacked ten games ago there's no point now, nor over the summer. If we're not in or very close to a play off position in the NL by Christmas then maybe RM will find the cash. Maybe.....

I reckon Akinola is the designated penalty taker - having had a recount he scored 6 for Barnet last season. However that was one of the most pathetic penalties I have ever seen. Didn’t James Walker miss one like that for us a good few years ago?

Akinola has been a complete let down Ron said he would be our saviour when he was fit and playing. Well he’s got just 7 games left.

When I read a headline on the Echo website “Shrimpers boss ready to face one of the league’s strongest attacking teams” I just feared that he would continue ultra negative - and so he did.

We didn’t have a clue - ANG and RHF on the wrong wings in the first half, everyone back at the slightest threat. Guess McCormack will be out for a few more games now.

The substitutions were like a pre season friendly just to give as many as you can a run out with no plan at all.

Taking Acquah off was a nonsense - probably having his best game and being a bit of a nuisance.

I hate the all dark blue kit - we need something a lot brighter so they can see each other. Our home record has been crap for years. Dump it and play in light blue.

Can’t see us getting out of it now unless we win all 4 away games. I can’t see us winning at home.

Back