• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0-2 Carlisle united

I think you could be right. The financial implications of getting relegated would test a financially stable club let alone a club which is riddled with debt like us.
If, as seems likely that we do go down then I can see us being in the Conference(if not worse) for some time.
I agree. Take a look at the National league table. I don’t think our current team would finish in the top half of it. If we continue the way we are going we will be battling a 3rd successive relegation next season. Our club seems to be fundamentally broken from top to bottom with no hope of a turn around. I can’t see any positives at all and have lost any remaining hope for the future of our club. It feels as if we are dead and buried. Genuinely gutted tonight.

Surely the reasons ie the results become more apparent every week as we slide inevitably to relegation and loss of our league status for the the first time ever in our history?

Oh for a 'Judas Fry' manager, who motivated from the touch line, installed confidence in his players, some of whom punched above their status, due to his enthusiasm.
And wasn't bothered about substituting a player after 1/2 hr ( Joe Allon & Andy Edwards for example ) if things weren't going to plan?.

Sorry disagree with u regarding matt rush!! He always scores for the under 23s because it's the under 23s!! Hes been given chances in the first team and not delivered when given a first team chance! Hes not good enough ! I recall him missing a few sitters.His level is the 23s that's why he is there!!
And MM is there because he is flourishing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh for a 'Judas Fry' manager, who motivated from the touch line, installed confidence in his players, some of whom punched above their status, due to his enthusiasm.
And wasn't bothered about substituting a player after 1/2 hr ( Joe Allon & Andy Edwards for example ) if things weren't going to plan?.
And set out to win football games.

No mm is the problem!! But matt rush isnt the solution
Nor is your attraction with Holmes.. although I'd take a punt on Rush scoring that one on one now, rather than Holmes. Not to mention the age difference and future potential for a big club like Southend dropping down to national league. I'd rather judge players for what they do on the pitch to be honest.

Sorry disagree with u regarding matt rush!! He always scores for the under 23s because it's the under 23s!! Hes been given chances in the first team and not delivered when given a first team chance! Hes not good enough ! I recall him missing a few sitters.His level is the 23s that's why he is there!!

I think you'll find he's had 1 game and missed 1 chance. I would actually love someone like Goodship to get into a position where he missed a chance!!

Firstly, good post. I would like to know why you believe MM is the right man for the job though. It’s easy to come on here and say “MM in” or “out’ but very few actually give reasons as to why they belong to those sides of the argument.

Thanks for the kind words ? It’s a very fair question and completely agree, lots of people seem to be pro or anti MM without going into too much detail as to specifically why.

The truth be told, I try to judge any manager against how I would judge myself in the same position, and I tend to be quite self critical of myself and set high standards.

Whilst I acknowledge it’s not exactly a crucial part of the job, I like the way he puts himself across. I like his philosophy to self-improvement both of himself and the team. I do feel he has improved the culture of the club, I feel that he’d made us hard to beat and overall given the club some much needed stability.

I don’t think he’s completely blameless - far from it. In fact anyone who is pro MM who thinks that isn’t being objective about it. But what I would say is most weeks, when I see the line up and formation, I think ‘fair play, I would have done the same’. I don’t necessarily think the same with subs - he often leaves it too late to inject some attacking impetus for me.

I suppose the point I was making today was today is the first time I’ve thought ‘ I’m sold on the way he conducts himself in the press, I’m sold on his team selection for the most part, and I think his signings have been fairly good too. However, yes we’ve made strides, yes we’ve improved the culture/pride/integrity of the club, yes we can defend now... but ultimately we’ve plateaued in our improvements.’

The next thing to fix once we’d sorted the leaky defence was to find a way to utilise that strong anchor to give our attacking players the freedom to take more risks and score some much needed goals. Not many either - with the 9 clean sheets in 19 games, we didn’t need to be free-scoring like Man United in tgrWe simply haven’t done that. ‘There’s no hiding from it’, as MM rightly says.

So my next thought is well, whose fault is that? After all we were all getting upset that Akinola couldn’t play because of the embargo etc. But the lad, for all his obvious talent and trickery on the ball, has only managed 2 goals (I think!?). Same for Reeco, except it’s 1 goal. Same for ANG, I think it’s 3 goals for him, 1 penalty. Nothing against these lads btw, good players. I like them. But I don’t see them beating a player and whipping a decent cross in very often. I don’t see them stinging the keepers palms from range and I don’t see them getting in behind defenders. Well, ultimately that’s down to MM. He signed the chaps, and he’s the manager so the buck stops with him ultimately.

I know our reputation precedes us and we probably didn’t have a plethora of players desperate to play for us (before we get into that). But that’s the professional game isn’t it? Maybe, I’m conflicted on that one. The signings he’s brought in certainly look better than waft we had, but ultimately haven’t produced the goods in front of goal.

What I will say however, is that no can get away from the fact HE HAS improved us and we are more competitive. The improvement I’ve seen defensively from the start of the season to now is exceptional. Therefore, I’m confident that MM will eventually get us scoring goals too and if we do, it will change the psychology teams will deploy against us. They will have to play more defensively, and in turn our midfield will see more of the ball, and our defenders will be able to play from the back as opposed to the pressured clearance, which will in turn mean the strikers aren’t just living off scraps... so on and so forth.

So to summarise, it’s small incremental improvements compounded over time that deliver the foundation for big results. It’s a philosophy I subscribe to in my own life and career and it’s a philosophy MM subscribes to too.

So yes, I’m behind MM because I believe in the long term he’ll get the sinking ship floating, even if in the short term we are sinking.

The big problem we have right now is if we want to retain our football league status, we need to hope those small incremental improvements are finally going to pay dividends very, very quickly.

Amazed at the meltdowns. Really. We are a rubbish team all the eay through. What do you expect?- the sooner everyone accepts relegation the easier it is. The fact that i am saying that relegation is happening hurts me a lot.

Amazed at the meltdowns. Really. We are a rubbish team all the eay through. What do you expect?- the sooner everyone accepts relegation the easier it is. The fact that i am saying that relegation is happening hurts me a lot.

I expect a team and a manager to give everything they can to preserve our league status and look like they really care - do you think that happened today for most of them ?

Thanks for the kind words ? It’s a very fair question and completely agree, lots of people seem to be pro or anti MM without going into too much detail as to specifically why.

The truth be told, I try to judge any manager against how I would judge myself in the same position, and I tend to be quite self critical of myself and set high standards.

Whilst I acknowledge it’s not exactly a crucial part of the job, I like the way he puts himself across. I like his philosophy to self-improvement both of himself and the team. I do feel he has improved the culture of the club, I feel that he’d made us hard to beat and overall given the club some much needed stability.

I don’t think he’s completely blameless - far from it. In fact anyone who is pro MM who thinks that isn’t being objective about it. But what I would say is most weeks, when I see the line up and formation, I think ‘fair play, I would have done the same’. I don’t necessarily think the same with subs - he often leaves it too late to inject some attacking impetus for me.

I suppose the point I was making today was today is the first time I’ve thought ‘ I’m sold on the way he conducts himself in the press, I’m sold on his team selection for the most part, and I think his signings have been fairly good too. However, yes we’ve made strides, yes we’ve improved the culture/pride/integrity of the club, yes we can defend now... but ultimately we’ve plateaued in our improvements.’

The next thing to fix once we’d sorted the leaky defence was to find a way to utilise that strong anchor to give our attacking players the freedom to take more risks and score some much needed goals. Not many either - with the 9 clean sheets in 19 games, we didn’t need to be free-scoring like Man United in tgrWe simply haven’t done that. ‘There’s no hiding from it’, as MM rightly says.

So my next thought is well, whose fault is that? After all we were all getting upset that Akinola couldn’t play because of the embargo etc. But the lad, for all his obvious talent and trickery on the ball, has only managed 2 goals (I think!?). Same for Reeco, except it’s 1 goal. Same for ANG, I think it’s 3 goals for him, 1 penalty. Nothing against these lads btw, good players. I like them. But I don’t see them beating a player and whipping a decent cross in very often. I don’t see them stinging the keepers palms from range and I don’t see them getting in behind defenders. Well, ultimately that’s down to MM. He signed the chaps, and he’s the manager so the buck stops with him ultimately.

I know our reputation precedes us and we probably didn’t have a plethora of players desperate to play for us (before we get into that). But that’s the professional game isn’t it? Maybe, I’m conflicted on that one. The signings he’s brought in certainly look better than waft we had, but ultimately haven’t produced the goods in front of goal.

What I will say however, is that no can get away from the fact HE HAS improved us and we are more competitive. The improvement I’ve seen defensively from the start of the season to now is exceptional. Therefore, I’m confident that MM will eventually get us scoring goals too and if we do, it will change the psychology teams will deploy against us. They will have to play more defensively, and in turn our midfield will see more of the ball, and our defenders will be able to play from the back as opposed to the pressured clearance, which will in turn mean the strikers aren’t just living off scraps... so on and so forth.

So to summarise, it’s small incremental improvements compounded over time that deliver the foundation for big results. It’s a philosophy I subscribe to in my own life and career and it’s a philosophy MM subscribes to too.

So yes, I’m behind MM because I believe in the long term he’ll get the sinking ship floating, even if in the short term we are sinking.

The big problem we have right now is if we want to retain our football league status, we need to hope those small incremental improvements are finally going to pay dividends very, very quickly.

The issue is, as one opposition commentator pointed out, is we play low risk football, which is why we are now tight at the back, but it gives us very little in attack.

Look at today's game, we left no-one forward for their throws or corners; that just shouldn't happen unless you are winning 1-0 with a minute to go.

The amount of times we got forward, and there was no one busting a gut to get in the area. When crosses came in, at best we had 2 in the box.

It's completely irrelevant if you have a proven goalscorer or not, but if you don't get in attacking positions, guess what, you won't score.

This is down to our tactics and how we are set up and that falls to the manager and coaches.

We're not a rubbish team though. I've seen worse this season and certainly not seen that many teams that I would say were far better than us.

There are enough poor sides in this division that we should have been able to finish above.

Dream on.

The big BIG lesson from this and the last half dozen home games MUST be that GOALS have to be THE No 1 priority.
Okay I get the keep it tight, recycle the ball , keep shape stuff BUT all is useless unless nil nil draws are the aim.
Why are our corners so rubbish, just the one good free kick today, no shots from anyone.

An even better post than the first and an excellent read. Some of which I agree with as well. Despite being the opposing camp, I do accept the fact that as a team, especially as a defensive unit we have improved compared to how we were at the start of the season but I don’t think MM persisting with us playing from the back helped. I do also have a great deal of respect for MM and his staff for taking on the job. At Weymouth they were in a comfortable job but they challenged themselves by coming here despite our problems so hats off to them for that.

My two biggest problems with MM though are a) other than Clifford (who looked good when he broke in to the team under Campbell) not one player can claim to have improved as a player this season. Winning football matches is of course the main aim as a football manager but player development is an big part of management. The other is that with 7 games of the season to go, I still don’t know what his way of playing is. As already said, he started the season wanting to play possession football, that didn’t work. He then opted to play hoof ball to Akinola with no body in support of him, again it didn’t work. He then gave Emile a run of games up front on his own and instead of playing hoof ball to him, a game plan that suited him better.. he asked Emile to run in behind defences.. surprise surprise it didn’t work. These are just a couple of reasons as to why I wouldn’t be comfortable with him keeping his job, relegated or not.

The big BIG lesson from this and the last half dozen home games MUST be that GOALS have to be THE No 1 priority.
Okay I get the keep it tight, recycle the ball , keep shape stuff BUT all is useless unless nil nil draws are the aim.
Why are our corners so rubbish, just the one good free kick today, no shots from anyone.

I’m only guessing because I don’t know you but I would hazard a guess that you’re not a ‘modern’ coach.

An even better post than the first and an excellent read. Some of which I agree with as well. Despite being the opposing camp, I do accept the fact that as a team, especially as a defensive unit we have improved compared to how we were at the start of the season but I don’t think MM persisting with us playing from the back helped. I do also have a great deal of respect for MM and his staff for taking on the job. At Weymouth they were in a comfortable job but they challenged themselves by coming here despite our problems so hats off to them for that.

My two biggest problems with MM though are a) other than Clifford (who looked good when he broke in to the team under Campbell) not one player can claim to have improved as a player this season. Winning football matches is of course the main aim as a football manager but player development is an big part of management. The other is that with 7 games of the season to go, I still don’t know what his way of playing is. As already said, he started the season wanting to play possession football, that didn’t work. He then opted to play hoof ball to Akinola with no body in support of him, again it didn’t work. He then gave Emile a run of games up front on his own and instead of playing hoof ball to him, a game plan that suited him better.. he asked Emile to run in behind defences.. surprise surprise it didn’t work. These are just a couple of reasons as to why I wouldn’t be comfortable with him keeping his job, relegated or not.

We lost the first game playing tippy tippy crap and losing 4-0.

My grandmother could have improved on that.

Corners, crosses, passes, throw ins, control, off the ball movement, shooting, formations..

These are just couple of small things we are utter rubbish at.

Back