• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0-2 Carlisle united

The issue is, as one opposition commentator pointed out, is we play low risk football, which is why we are now tight at the back, but it gives us very little in attack.

Look at today's game, we left no-one forward for their throws or corners; that just shouldn't happen unless you are winning 1-0 with a minute to go.

The amount of times we got forward, and there was no one busting a gut to get in the area. When crosses came in, at best we had 2 in the box.

It's completely irrelevant if you have a proven goalscorer or not, but if you don't get in attacking positions, guess what, you won't score.

This is down to our tactics and how we are set up and that falls to the manager and coaches.

Yes I agree, I make reference to that in my post too. That is my major criticism of MM - he has stabilised us but as you say regarding the Scunthorpe summariser who described us as playing ‘low risk football’, I believe that to be very much an accurate statement. But again, whilst ultimately MM is responsible for ensuring the front players take more risks, as I mention above its also down to the players in question to actually be brave and take the risk. As I was also saying, in time of MM can get the front players more confident in doing that, we’ll score more goals. If we do that, scouting reports will focus more on shutting us out, if we do that we will probably see more of the ball, not have to resort to the direct ball from the back and ultimately the front players will get better quality chances on a more consistent basis. By the law of averages, we will score more goals.

MM will, in my opinion at least, get us there like he did with improving our defence. The question is can he get us there in time to keep us up or is the damage already done? Well whilst there are points to play for, there’s still a possibility it can be done.

An even better post than the first and an excellent read. Some of which I agree with as well. Despite being the opposing camp, I do accept the fact that as a team, especially as a defensive unit we have improved compared to how we were at the start of the season but I don’t think MM persisting with us playing from the back helped. I do also have a great deal of respect for MM and his staff for taking on the job. At Weymouth they were in a comfortable job but they challenged themselves by coming here despite our problems so hats off to them for that.

My two biggest problems with MM though are a) other than Clifford (who looked good when he broke in to the team under Campbell) not one player can claim to have improved as a player this season. Winning football matches is of course the main aim as a football manager but player development is an big part of management. The other is that with 7 games of the season to go, I still don’t know what his way of playing is. As already said, he started the season wanting to play possession football, that didn’t work. He then opted to play hoof ball to Akinola with no body in support of him, again it didn’t work. He then gave Emile a run of games up front on his own and instead of playing hoof ball to him, a game plan that suited him better.. he asked Emile to run in behind defences.. surprise surprise it didn’t work. These are just a couple of reasons as to why I wouldn’t be comfortable with him keeping his job, relegated or not.

This is a very good point and at this level, you need players improving.

Some have looked even worse now that they did when we first got them (Taylor and HF for example).

David Webb was excellent at improving players; what I would give to have a manager like that now.

Yes I agree, I make reference to that in my post too. That is my major criticism of MM - he has stabilised us but as you say regarding the Scunthorpe summariser who described us as playing ‘low risk football’, I believe that to be very much an accurate statement. But again, whilst ultimately MM is responsible for ensuring the front players take more risks, as I mention above its also down to the players in question to actually be brave and take the risk. As I was also saying, in time of MM can get the front players more confident in doing that, we’ll score more goals. If we do that, scouting reports will focus more on shutting us out, if we do that we will probably see more of the ball, not have to resort to the direct ball from the back and ultimately the front players will get better quality chances on a more consistent basis. By the law of averages, we will score more goals.

MM will, in my opinion at least, get us there like he did with improving our defence. The question is can he get us there in time to keep us up or is the damage already done? Well whilst there are points to play for, there’s still a possibility it can be done.

It's a fair point and I was hoping after the Forest Green game we had turned a corner in a attacking sense, but we seem to have gone backwards again, which is why I just can't see MM turning it around this season, or even next.

Another example is the home game against Colchester; we looked so good taking the game to them, but again we went backwards.

I really do hope I'm wrong though, and we're playing in League Two next season.

Congratulations Sim - your penalty was our 50th shot on target in our 20th home league game this season (source Soccebase) . Even I can work out that is a massive 2.5 shots on target per game - that’s one every 36 minutes.

What a boring game football has become - devoid of goalmouth action. I’m just grateful that Covid has spared me the hours and cost of travelling to witness such dross. At least with IFollow I can multitask when the game is on.

Pathetic, spineless, gutless and simply dreadful performance. 40 years supporting for me and I’ve seen some rubbish in that time, but today is way worse due to what was at stake. A great three points last week, our rivals drawing yesterday so a huge chance to claw back 3 points. Carlisle were better but nothing special. We allowed them to play the way they did and I’m not sure they got out of first gear but then they didn’t need to. How a set of players with so much at stake fir the club and their own personal pride can play like that is beyond me. 4 shots all game at home in a must win game and of those only one on target, a pathetic back pass of a penalty. Blame Ron all you like and rightly so, but MM and the players need to carry the can. Another defensive formation with no support for the forward line who mostly fed off long lumps forward, really? We’ve had all week to prepare and get ready for this game and that what gets served up. The substitutions were bizarre and made no difference at all.

we go (me and my son) home and away, the past few years we’ve visited the likes of Sunderland, Pompey, Bolton, Wigan etc. Next season it will be Maidenhead and Kings Lynn, let that sink in.

what’s worst is there are what 8/9 pages of views from supporters who all love this club. A vast majority negative and of course it would be under the circumstances but with little argument anymore. We all feel it, we all see it and the reality of relegation as it gets closer is becoming a very genuine prospect. I’m 48 years old and the thought of that breaks my heart. To think also that it could be at the hands of Orient or Col Utd where the final nail is placed in the coffin and that in itself is a horrendous thought

a very very sad situation for the club at the centre of so many lives, just not sure the players get it though. Some will of course be here next season, some will go back to their parent clubs (good riddance Reece) and the rest may well find themselves unemployed as can’t see many clubs interested in most of these. Not sure MM is the right man for next season, hard to not think that this season could have a damaging impact on his career.

we will be there next season as always but it isn’t got to be easy that’s for sure

I think you'll find he's had 1 game and missed 1 chance. I would actually love someone like Goodship to get into a position where he missed a chance!!
Goodship is probably worse but he has scored first team goals and a few in league 1.

Negative is far easier then positive.

Nor is your attraction with Holmes.. although I'd take a punt on Rush scoring that one on one now, rather than Holmes. Not to mention the age difference and future potential for a big club like Southend dropping down to national league. I'd rather judge players for what they do on the pitch to be honest.
We have seen rush in the first team'hes been given chances to impress and failed! He then goes back to the 23s cause that's his level!

Pathetic, spineless, gutless and simply dreadful performance. 40 years supporting for me and I’ve seen some rubbish in that time, but today is way worse due to what was at stake. A great three points last week, our rivals drawing yesterday so a huge chance to claw back 3 points. Carlisle were better but nothing special. We allowed them to play the way they did and I’m not sure they got out of first gear but then they didn’t need to. How a set of players with so much at stake fir the club and their own personal pride can play like that is beyond me. 4 shots all game at home in a must win game and of those only one on target, a pathetic back pass of a penalty. Blame Ron all you like and rightly so, but MM and the players need to carry the can. Another defensive formation with no support for the forward line who mostly fed off long lumps forward, really? We’ve had all week to prepare and get ready for this game and that what gets served up. The substitutions were bizarre and made no difference at all.

we go (me and my son) home and away, the past few years we’ve visited the likes of Sunderland, Pompey, Bolton, Wigan etc. Next season it will be Maidenhead and Kings Lynn, let that sink in.

what’s worst is there are what 8/9 pages of views from supporters who all love this club. A vast majority negative and of course it would be under the circumstances but with little argument anymore. We all feel it, we all see it and the reality of relegation as it gets closer is becoming a very genuine prospect. I’m 48 years old and the thought of that breaks my heart. To think also that it could be at the hands of Orient or Col Utd where the final nail is placed in the coffin and that in itself is a horrendous thought

a very very sad situation for the club at the centre of so many lives, just not sure the players get it though. Some will of course be here next season, some will go back to their parent clubs (good riddance Reece) and the rest may well find themselves unemployed as can’t see many clubs interested in most of these. Not sure MM is the right man for next season, hard to not think that this season could have a damaging impact on his career.

we will be there next season as always but it isn’t got to be easy that’s for sure

Spot on.

Nor is your attraction with Holmes.. although I'd take a punt on Rush scoring that one on one now, rather than Holmes. Not to mention the age difference and future potential for a big club like Southend dropping down to national league. I'd rather judge players for what they do on the pitch to be honest.
Look I'll admit holmes isnt the player he was! I'm still trying to see how hes becoming so poor overnight? Hes 32 so should still have alot to offer us!! Maybe if he had a pre season he might be better.

I know I have banged this drum a few times but it really grates on me.

We have been here before but because we survived it is never really recognised. Luggy had to sign 18 plus players a day or two before the season started and let's not kid ourselves, on paper they were a mish mash of journeymen and nobodies and yet as a manager who had been around the block he got them playing a tune and even got players who had previously vastly underwhelmed in their career to date to be better versions of themselves. I'm willing to bet every single penny i have that if we had appointed a more experienced manager we would have more points than we have now.

Would we be top of the table, hell no but we would at least be lower mid table and have survived to rebuild next year. We are now in real danger of a triple relegation because MM will still be in charge next season and will feel almost bullet proof after this season when evey other chairman in the land would of kicked him and his YMCA entourage into touch long long ago

We are so predictable.

We can comment on the fergusson throw in routine being an example of such, where teams know what’s going to happen

But the offside goal today. Since the start of the season, 2 players over a free kick. One holds it aloft. When he actions to put it on the ground it’s the signal to our forwards. When it is put on the ground Clifford hits it straight away into the box. We were offside today with the defenders running out on the signal as we ran in. It’s just so obvious. Why not get a new signal after 40 games?

These things naive at best, but probably more correctly, amateur.

I always wonder when there is a new manager bump why this is. I wonder if it’s just the predictability of the previous regime just disappears.

Cant score in open play ,cant score from a penalty . What hope is there ,just relegate us please EFL put us out of our misery.get a new owner ,new board off directors,just keep our academy youngsters and those from the senior squadand lets start anew,as it is we are not Southend UNITED,.

We are so predictable.

We can comment on the fergusson throw in routine being an example of such, where teams know what’s going to happen

But the offside goal today. Since the start of the season, 2 players over a free kick. One holds it aloft. When he actions to put it on the ground it’s the signal to our forwards. When it is put on the ground Clifford hits it straight away into the box. We were offside today with the defenders running out on the signal as we ran in. It’s just so obvious. Why not get a new signal after 40 games?

These things naive at best, but probably more correctly, amateur.

I always wonder when there is a new manager bump why this is. I wonder if it’s just the predictability of the previous regime just disappears.

Same as any new boss in any job, suddenly your future is in question unless you prove yourself.

And if its a good manager tactics and style will change for the better.

And yes complacency will settle back in if the manager is crap or doesnt garner respect.

It's just a waste of a player. We all know Clifford is the better dead ball taker, so Demi can FRO from there! Same with corners.

Back