• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0-2 Carlisle united

OK......the morning after. I went to bed so angry with Akinola. However, following a surprisingly good night's sleep I've woken up refreshed and able to consider yesterday's game more calmly and rationally, put everything into perspective and move on. After all Easter Sunday is a day for forgiveness and joy. I can say with hand on heart that I am no longer angry with Akinola. No, I am bleedin' furious with him.....

I know we're all frustrated about the penalty but let's not paint Akinola the villain in all of this. Yes, he is the focus of yesterday's disaster because of the penalty but up to now, we've been reasonably happy with his efforts apart from a goal dearth.

I don't think heaping blame on one individual player is helpful, even now.

Two ways of taking a penalty;

1. Alan Moody styleee. Low and hard into a bottom corner.

2. Dave Cusack styleee. Whack it as hard as possible.

Simeon Akinola styleee? - er, no.

I know we're all frustrated about the penalty but let's not paint Akinola the villain in all of this. Yes, he is the focus of yesterday's disaster because of the penalty but up to now, we've been reasonably happy with his efforts apart from a goal dearth.

Fair point, but it was symbolic of what is so very wrong at the moment. A lackadaisical approach to what was a potential key moment in the game, confirmed to a lot of people how little relegation means to many of these players. As I have intimated elsewhere there are very few of the current squad that I would want alongside me in the trenches, and for whatever ability he might have, sadly Akinola is not one of them.

Though picking on individual players is not very helpful, upsetting the little darlings is beyond most fans concerns at the moment our league status is ebbing away fast with this club in turmoil, most of these players will be gone soon for various reasons and won't give a monkeys for SUFC.

I know you're right OBL, but sometimes ........sometimes it's very hard not to focus one's fury and despair on the most blatant irresponsibility. At the same time I'm perfectly happy to praise ANG and Acquah for their good performances yesterday. So you're forgiven Simeon, but please do not take a penalty for us again. Please.

Simeon ought to be devastated by the penalty blunder and the likely consequences following on from that.
How he reacted in the dressing room after would be interesting to know, AND he is perhaps lucky that there is a no crowds away game so soon.
How will he be on Tuesday? And if he has a niggle injury how will be he play with that too as crying off would finish him here, possibly.
He owes his team mates, MM and us, a performance.
But yesterday's defeat wasn't down to just his error, and the others involved need to know that and respond, support Sim, and go again.

i now how you feel mate 2 season tickets in my house £ 500 plus . southend still my club but paying that next season ?????????????? i lot to think about . supporting the blues is one thing but giving chairman ron £ 500 when he keeps telling us how good his management team is and he`s behind the players at the club . and they all want success !!! didn`t see that today . keep smiling .
Unfortunately I feel the same. Over 50 years as a Blues supporter and although I can't exactly say I am overjoyed by what MM has brought to our club our issues are far deeper and go back to long before he arrived.

RM has Fantasy farm as his agenda and in the mist of all the excitement of creating his legacy our beloved football club has become secondary and this is the result.

It's so hard to take, I am devastated watching us slide in to non league football and only one person to blame for this whole shambolic disgraceful mess ?

OK......the morning after. I went to bed so angry with Akinola. However, following a surprisingly good night's sleep I've woken up refreshed and able to consider yesterday's game more calmly and rationally, put everything into perspective and move on. After all Easter Sunday is a day for forgiveness and joy. I can say with hand on heart that I am no longer angry with Akinola. No, I am bleedin' furious with him.....
i was ok this morning until some tosser cambridge fan accused us of being murdering so and so s
and now to read bloody smug colu fans saying how good their new manager assisant is

Thinking about the penalty I wonder when if it was in his contract that he has has to take them to boost his final goal tally, look at Harry Kane if it wasnt for penalties his final amount for Spurs and England would be average

i was ok this morning until some tosser cambridge fan accused us of being murdering so and so s
and now to read bloody smug colu fans saying how good their new manager assisant is
Col U fans shouldn’t get too smug. Grimsby can still escape and can see them going on a run. Could yet be an Essex double.

In fairness that's not the case away from home. Our performances at Newport, Cambridge, FGR, Cheltenham, Oldham, Scunthorpe and Harrogate showed a gutsy team who are behind the manager and able to dig out results. 12 points from a possible 21 there.

At home we are utterly hopeless and that's where MM deserves some blame. Our game plan works more effectively in away matches because the opposition defence plays higher up the pitch, so playing direct football or knocking the ball over the top allows us to put more pressure on the opposition and squeeze higher up the pitch. At home the opposition defence sits a bit deeper and any ball over the top is either lapped up by the keeper or is comfortably nodded back.

If we have to play the direct game at home and/or go over the top, we need to spray the ball wide, meaning the defender has to either put it out for a throw or corner, pass the ball blindly up the line, or play the ball back to his keeper using his feet so the keeper isn't able to pick it up. We need a plan B to put the opposition under pressure. We are horribly predictable. Of course we could try passing it...

Today was beyond useless, possibly our worst performance of the season. We started nervously and only started to wake up after their first goal. Then the penalty that probably wasn't - Akinola collapsed theatrically and I'm not sure there was any contact. It was obvious he was going to miss as soon as he ambled up to the ball. If the keeper goes the wrong way it looks cool, calm and collected. If he goes the right way, it looks clumsy, calamitous and careless. Generally I like Akinola - he works hard, is good in the air and has a good first touch - but that penalty was unacceptable and I can't understand why Demi or ANG didn't take it.

And that was that. If we had gone in level at half-time we would have been able to manage the second half more calmly but we were clueless and showed no composure at all.

Carlisle do deserve credit. They were a constant threat in attack and clearly their midweek win injected much-needed confidence to get back on track after a very dodgy run. Their second goal was classy and you only have to look at the fact that he was only a sub to reflect the massive gap in quality.

I'm still behind MM but next season it will be his team and that's when I'll start judging him properly.

Far far far bigger problems than Akinola, he would fit in any decent League 2 side, wasted in Mark’s Misfits.
As has been well documented, Ron takes the blame till Christmas then hands over the baton to the even more useless Mark Molesley and his two assistant jokers.....they really do look like the type of track suited big mouths on the sidelines of an U13’s kids match.
They have got to go....not to survive this year but to give someone a head start on Non League next year ???

Far far far bigger problems than Akinola, he would fit in any decent League 2 side, wasted in Mark’s Misfits.
As has been well documented, Ron takes the blame till Christmas then hands over the baton to the even more useless Mark Molesley and his two assistant jokers.....they really do look like the type of track suited big mouths on the sidelines of an U13’s kids match.
They have got to go....not to survive this year but to give someone a head start on Non League next year ???

......and Ron, leave the next manager selection process to other well informed people, Xfactor style.
My three, OBL as Sharon Osbourne
Dagenham Kev as Simon Cowell
Our missing Louis Walsh as.....Louis
Walsh
Could they do any worse?

Back