• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0-2 Cheltenham Town

What is genuinely depressing is the chasm in quality between even the first few games of last season and this, and that was when Kevin Bond was deemed to be the anti-Christ.
I remember in those early games, two very spirited and close away games I went to, against two sides now in the Championship, 0-1 at Coventry, and 3-4 at Wycombe. Both performances absolute light years away from what we are now producing.
And four players that we released from that time, who all had their critics and faults would walk into this side, Mantom, McLaughlin, Milligan and yes even Theo Robinson.
I truly cannot believe how bad we have become in such a short space of time.

but wouldent u agree certain individuals deserve to be singled out? And the point of this site is to have a opinion on the game and the players.Right now thats incredibly easy to do.
if we played well apart from one poor performance that's one thing. But the whole team were ****e today. And it's clearly not as simple as just saying can't run, can't jump, can't dribble. He is what we have. and the game is so much more detailed than just saying he's just **** and then picking someone else and saying he's just ****.

Nope, and FWIW;

At least he (Emile) can spell and understands grammar. Also you need to understand that names start with a ‘capital‘ letter.

Have a day off mate!
Unfortunately this isnt about grammar and it dont need to be perfect on here lol why u sticking up for emile? U actually rate him then??

I wonder whether the manager has fallen into the old England trap of trying to shoehorn players into the team. He's brought in Hobson and Sterling and maybe feels like he has to play them even if it upsets the balance of the side. We certainly didn't look or play like a balanced side today.
And I don't think Goodship and Sterling wide offer anything

Bored now. No more excuses, can't play the "youth" card as only one youth player started today.

MM has had a pre season, been allowed to bring in 6 of his backroom staff, been allowed to make his own signings. I really don't want to hear his soft spoken niceties about how we're still learning. Or how he spends a few extra hours watching training back.

He got it fundamentally wrong today, changing the whole system off the back of 2 draws? Lol, would love CP or someone to ask him about that.

MM needs a result sooner rather than later, and yes, I really mean that. I seriously do worry that he is a bit too much of a nice guy.
I am now questioning MM's ability at this level. He doesn't seem to have a Plan B. He plays a Donkey up front with full backs in midfield, players don't seem to want to close down opponents or maybe they have been told not too. Even the Loanees are looking pants

And I thought I hated last season. We so need a White, Akinola and McCormack out there. We also need to bring in more recruits to strengthen the spine of the team, experienced league 2 players. Let’s be honest it’s not like we couldn’t see where our problems are.

I felt pretty deflated in a good(?) sense after last week but this is another level deflation.
Anyone who's saying tactics don't matter needs to snap out of the 1960s for a second and realise that the right tactics will optimize the players' skill sets and the wrong ones will blunt them beyond all recognition.
That wasn't the same Southend out there as last week: we weren't as comfortable on the ball, we weren't working enough balls up to the front and we were relying far too much on last ditch defending (the noticeable success though was Lennon's block keeping the ultimate deficit to two goals).
MM knows he made some bad tactical picks and Egbri's absence was glaring. Sterling ought to be cut some slack as this was second start. Demetriou wasn't anywhere near being the leader we need out there today and Goodship had a bad day at the office.
I think MM was more at fault for the ref playing well into 90+5 last week than K Taylor's awful waste of some excellent time wasting play and I'd be howling at the ref if the pen challenge had been made against us and wasn't given, so K Taylor needs to pull his socks up too in my book.
Finally, Cheltenham will be up there at the end of the season. They're going to make chumps out of teams like us, hold us at arms length as they coast on just their ability and luck on the day because teams like that can get away with that. They were delievered a stirring wake up call after Grimsby and they clearly made a lot of our flaws visible today. We're going to stink against teams like that so don't write us off just yet. Who knows how our luck may change as we come up against a team whose manager just might be worse than Tony Adams, Kevin Bond and Gary Neville combined.

Last edited:
I wonder whether the manager has fallen into the old England trap of trying to shoehorn players into the team. He's brought in Hobson and Sterling and maybe feels like he has to play them even if it upsets the balance of the side. We certainly didn't look or play like a balanced side today.
And I don't think Goodship and Sterling wide offer anything

This has credence.

Since coming in, MM has been dedicated to the 442 formation... just as he was at Weymouth.

It was always going to be risky playing 532, because it wasn’t a system we’d ever tried, or even worked on before.

I can only assume that MM wanted to bamboozle Cheltenham, who would have likely scouted & sussed our formation and style of play.

It feels to me that he took a punt, and it didn’t work.

Just a few emotional thoughts, maybe not logical but....

Sol got better out of the squad and had a plan and a plan B, sometimes.

This is very Bond esque in lack of spite and bite and guile and spirit.

MM stood on touchline looking on as Chris Powell did towards his end with no idea how and what we needed to do.

Bench is SO weak it wouldn't have been answer to any question.

This has credence.

Since coming in, MM has been dedicated to the 442 formation... just as he was at Weymouth.

It was always going to be risky playing 532, because it wasn’t a system we’d ever tried, or even worked on before.

I can only assume that MM wanted to bamboozle Cheltenham, who would have likely scouted & sussed our formation and style of play.

It feels to me that he took a punt, and it didn’t work.
I'm sure they worked on it in training, I'd bloody hope they did. But didn't look comfortable with it, struggled to establish any passing lines plus on top of that they closed us down very effectively.

Also until we can keep a clean sheet, we are not going to win many matches...
It's an unfashionable view but it's true. In fairness though, I don't think Chelternernernerham caused us loads of problems. The pen was a mistake. Jesus, tripping a guy as he is going away from goal. The second was a good goal. I think our defence isn't so bad, the goalkeeper I don't like very much.

This from Cheltenham board;

We won't get a more comfortable second half than that all season. The second goal just completely killed their spirit going forward. They tried to battle but I actually feel a little sorry for Southend. If they don't get wound uo then they're already down. Saying that, solid and professional performance from us. Up to third, a point behind.

Now...2 home games in a row...Scunny just hammered at home...you know what's coming.

Thinking about this abysmal performance a little more, it strikes me as the sort of performance you would expect to see from a bunch of players who have been told they haven't/won't be paid.

I hope someone can prove me wrong..........please!

Our so called Messiah, Mm and his disciples need to start producing some of the magic they promised. He has a worse record than Kevin Bond. 6 League games and 3 cup games and we havent looked like winning any of them. Ron has invested in another team who cant produce anything.

We are a million miles from being competitive in this league. You can't plug massive gaps in the squad with a prem loanee. They work best in a confident successful team.

Back