• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0-2 Cheltenham Town

We be lucky to find a 1000 fans wanting to watch Southend United FC at this rate .... COVID done us a favour.

Oxley has to go, should have stopped that penalty, he guessed right but the shot was soft and he dived over it, 99% of keepers who guessed the same way would have stopped that, just not good enough for me.

We look so nervous on the ball we panic and keep playing negatively and passing back to the keeper, the average age and lack of experience shows on the pitch.

Don’t worry I’m going to two foot the mrs studs showing this evening take my frustrations out!

also speaking of studs how many times did our players end up on their arses! Joke!

Right, I may need to have waited a while to post to let the dust settle but i'll give it a go.

That was one of the most inept performances i've had the displeasure of witnessing.

From start to finish there was absolutely nothing there, anywhere, nowhere. We don't just have a team of young inexperinced players, we have a team of below par, young, inexperienced players. I think most of them would struggle to get anywhere near league football anywhere else than at this circus show.

I truly believe our club is dead and it's bordering on the criminal.

I am trying so, so hard to be patient and to see this as a medium-term rebuilding project. But that was such a hard watch today. Abject from start to finish. No passion, no excitement, no drive, no confidence, no real quality. We showed nothing today. Just lifeless, soulless, drab and ultimately inept.

There is just no energy going forward. We are completely devoid of creativity, of killer instinct, and of intelligent movement off the ball. I can't for a second believe that MM is TELLING them to keep passing sideways and backwards, so I can only put it down to a complete absence of anybody offering a good forward option. We desperately need a spark in there, someone who will make good runs off the ball and some players who have the balls to try that killer pass, or to swing a cross into the bloody mixer. We need to be braver, take more chances and stop overthinking things.

I can't see where goals or even decent chances are going to come from and that's what makes any light at the end of the tunnel disappear. 2 attempts, 1 shot on target, 1 corner and 1 successful cross. Honestly, just woeful.

Last edited:
Oxley has to go, should have stopped that penalty, he guessed right but the shot was soft and he dived over it, 99% of keepers who guessed the same way would have stopped that, just not good enough for me.

We look so nervous on the ball we panic and keep playing negatively and passing back to the keeper, the average age and lack of experience shows on the pitch.
Completely agree with that

Although we are lacking experience / quality all over , for me it’s up front that looks the most worrying.
We just don’t press quickly enough and we have no physical presence.
I’m not blaming Acquah particular , because apart from today , I think he’s tried to hold up the ball as well as he can.
But for someone that big , he doesn’t ‘make himself known’.
Maybe that will come with experience or maybe it’s not in his nature , but we need someone soon to at least give the opposition defence something to think about.
After Crawley and Exeter I was fairly confident we’d stay up - it’s still too early , but something needs to change very quickly.

Oxley 6
Bwomono 4
Hobson 5
Dieng 6
Lennon 6 MoTM just
Ralph 5
Demetriou 5
Taylor 4
Goodship 5
Acquah 3
Sterling 3

George 3
Egbri 6
Coker 5

Nothing positive from today. Players need to bust a gut. Loanees showed no desire to impress. MM has his work cut out and needs to show some passion and pass it onto the players sharpish.

I gave up watching after 80 minutes (rightly or wrongly). I can’t remember the last time I’ve seen a team look so blunt in attack. I’d like to say everything we tried just didn’t come off but ****, we didn’t even try anything today. All the good feeling as fans and I’m sure players after last weeks good performance, gone. Not a single player deserve anything less than criticism (not abuse, don’t get confused people) for that today. You can forgive a player as a fan for lacking quality but not giving 100% will never be acceptable.

The chasm between the two teams today was evident for all to see. Make no mistake about it, there isn’t anything special about Cheltenham. A team full of giants who kick it long and throw themselves to the floor at every opportunity. That said, they make fun of us today. They bullied us in to submission. Another low for a club that’s already on its knees.

I’m a big fan of MM and think under him, given time we’ll go places but today he has to take some of the blame. To change a team, formation etc that has got you two positive results just to try and match your opponents (never going to happen, we haven’t got the squad for it) was the wrong decision. So much so, once 0-2 down he resorted back to what’s worked for us recently. A strange decision.

I could give the players a rating but honestly, not one of them would get over a 4 from me today.

Just can't see where the turnaround will come from at the moment.1 shot on goal with zero threat for the the 90 mins shows where our most serious problems are .No player comes away from today's game with an acceptable rating ,all of them were simply lacking for even this poor level.

Bored now. No more excuses, can't play the "youth" card as only one youth player started today.

MM has had a pre season, been allowed to bring in 6 of his backroom staff, been allowed to make his own signings. I really don't want to hear his soft spoken niceties about how we're still learning. Or how he spends a few extra hours watching training back.

He got it fundamentally wrong today, changing the whole system off the back of 2 draws? Lol, would love CP or someone to ask him about that.

MM needs a result sooner rather than later, and yes, I really mean that. I seriously do worry that he is a bit too much of a nice guy.

Back