• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0-2 Ipswich Town

We looked very lightweight up front I thought. Grant and Sawyer looked good to me as did Moussa.

..., moussa was excellent but does need to hold that touchline more on the left at times he left our left back 2 v 1 cos he went inside and when the ball did come wide he werent there making us very narrow....

Thought Moussa was pretty dire myself. His constant wandering inside left us in all sort of problems on the left and overcrowded in the center.

If this was some sort of 'toys out of pram' exercise to play central, it wasnt smart.

Other than that, he was sloppy on the ball, pulling out of challenges and generally on the peripheral.

Thought Rigters looked like he had something about him without expending himself. Hope we get the chance to get a few more looks at him and fingers crossed sort a deal out.

But of course priorities lie elsewhere. We have been joking and moaning about the situation over the last few weeks, but enough really is enough.

I (have to) believe there is SOME money there from the rumours that come out about bids we have put in for players.

Fraid to say that at the moment, my finger of blame lies with Tilson. Quotes of "we are waiting for players to panic" is not helping anyone and he needs to sort this out before Saturday with a minimum of 2 bodies - frees, loans, trials, ANYTHING. We are (supposedly) a professional club and what I saw tonight would shame an amateur side - I dont care what anyone says.

Fair play to the players tonight as they gave what they could (Moussa aside for whatever reason) and cannot be held accountable for the shambles off the field.

Thought Rigters looked very promising. For someone so short and stocky, he was so strong against the likes of McAuley. He had good movement, knew where the goal was and had blistering pace. If anything I'd say he looked an upgrade on Theo due to his strength and the fact he actually looks quicker. My fingers are crossed that we get something sorted there.

Bakayogo, no thanks. No way is he any better than Johnny Herd. He didn't seem to want to overlap Moussa, which left a gaping hole down the left. He looked average to me.

For the fear of feeling the wrath of a certain poster, I thought Lee Sawyer outclassed McCormack in every single department tonight. He can do everything McCormack can't, and everything he can, better. On that game tonight you'd build the team around Moussa and Sawyer because they look head and shoulders above most.

The defence is a shambles and surely, despite the "no panic" lines that Tilly is coming out with, he must be worried. If Christophe lines up at centre half for any competitive game, we can kiss a clean sheet goodbye in it.

Thought Moussa was pretty dire myself. His constant wandering inside left us in all sort of problems on the left and overcrowded in the center.

If this was some sort of 'toys out of pram' exercise to play central, it wasnt smart.

Other than that, he was sloppy on the ball, pulling out of challenges and generally on the peripheral.

Yeah other than the fact he showed more ability on the ball then any other player bar Sawyer, he was dreadful......

Moussa is not going to stay wide. He's not going to bomb down the line. If we play him there we've got to expect that, which is why he shouldn't be played there long term unfortunately. He's wasted out there somewhat, but I think you're being stupidly harsh on him tonight.

JFC looked like a midfielder at centre half but held his own just about, he will struggle at CH with the more direct league 1 sides.

The trouble with playing JFC at centre back is that we are wasting probably our best central midfield player but with an unbalanced squad Tilly will be trying to fit Moose, JFC, Macca and Sawyer all into the same side but for me only two of those can play - preferably JFC and Sawyer.
We need wide players to play wide and central defenders to play in the centre of the defence.

Considering our strength in midfield and abundance of "Strikers turned Wingers", I'm amazed we haven't even tried a Chelsea or Barcelona style 4-5-1 in pre-season.

A midfield line up something along the lines of:

----------------------Sawyer JFC Moussa
Rigters/Laurent/Revell -------------------Laurent/Scannell

With Barnard up top not only utilises our greatest assets, but would solidify the midfield and take some pressure away from our back line. Obviously, this is all down to whether or not the formation actually works but I fail to see the harm in trying it.

Pretty disgraceful that we may be going to into a League one game in two weeks without a centre back. Only Southend United...

Yeah other than the fact he showed more ability on the ball then any other player bar Sawyer, he was dreadful......

Moussa is not going to stay wide. He's not going to bomb down the line. If we play him there we've got to expect that, which is why he shouldn't be played there long term unfortunately. He's wasted out there somewhat, but I think you're being stupidly harsh on him tonight.

Just didnt see it tonight at all. Dont appreciate being called stupid either.

If you read it back, I wrote that what you said was stupidly harsh, as in it was harsh, not that you personally were stupid. There is a mass of difference, so chill. :nope:

If you read it back, I wrote that what you said was stupidly harsh, as in it was harsh, not that you personally were stupid. There is a mass of difference, so chill. :nope:

"stupidly" harsh - insinuating I was "stupid" in being harsh.

Anyways, stand by my feeling with Moussa today. Cannot think of many good things he done and lots of our attacking play broke down as we had no outlet on the left. Appreciate what you are saying about him playing out of position, but he normally holds the left side far better than tonight.

Just an off-game I hope as I'm happy to see him given that left sided berth, as long as we get some width on the right - which is where I was please with Laurent (again) tonight as he is a box of tricks and some of the skill he showed tonight was outrageous.

Only problem with Laurent of course is 9 times out of 10, whatever he tries doesnt come off, but I'd rather have a player that tries something out of the ordinary, rather than a plodder. I think Laurent will make (and score) more goals this season than Betsy or Scannell, so that makes him a bit of a shoe-in for that spot at the moment.

I agree Paul, thought Moussa was dire until the kids came on. At least we got the chance to see Sawyer and Macca and I thought they did ok as a pairing. Failed completely to understand the subs, Franno played the full game on Saturday and looked quite in control I thought last night so keep him on. Considering he was playing alongside Jeff, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt - also didn't understand taking Rigters off, or Macca for that matter. Laurent had been kicked, shoved and fouled to hell and back - his ankle is definitely going to be in a bad way today and he should have been allowed to come off.

Fwiw, I though we did reasonably well, Ipswich scored practically their only two chances and for a game that was mainly played out in the middle of the field and with us having a makeshift back 4, I thought it was ok. I like the little no.3, and I'd certainly like to see him given a chance in a few more games. A central defender has to be the top priority though and the sooner the better.

Officials were terrible, there were some awful challenges going in from the Ipswich players.

Sawyer looked at home for the first time, must be something to do with Roots Hall, he's looked distinctly average in the other games so far.

SZ crashed for me at about 9.15 last night .......couldn't connect. More difficult getting news out of Roots Hall than getting out of Colditz.
Gleaning what I can from reports I come up with the following. We seem to have the basis of a decent squad and possess a strong midfield. We are very thin on numbers and seriously need additions. Rigters looked as though he could be a decent signing but desperately needs goals to gain confidence. For this reason a move down to the third tier may not be a stupid idea........for him and for us. We could do with a winger but the real problem, as we all know, is at the back. Bakayogo would be better if he could change himself into Juan or even Jean. However central defence is where the need is greatest...........and patience aside,it needs sorting out sooner than later.
Thus, we need to avoid getting too wound up..........especially around the 29th of the month........with a couple of additions and a bit of luck with injuries, we should be able to hold our own in this division.

Last edited:
I thought we looked ok last night. Ipswich weren't particularly impressive and it was a very even game until the first goal. JFC did ok , not helped by the back four changing 3 or 4 times during the evening. He certainly looks comfortable in possession , may struggle against League 1 route one teams. Grant continues to impress me as the holding CM player , best challenge of the night on Andy d'Urso ! Looking forward to Grant/Sawyer as the CM pairing , Grant allowing Sawyer license to get forward.
Rigters looked decent up front , strong and holds the ball up well , definitely worth another look.

Back