• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0-2 Ipswich Town

"Appreciate what you are saying about him playing out of position, but he normally holds the left side far better than tonight.

Moussa has never stayed wide and played as an orthodox winger. He comes inside constantly and thats fine if there is a winger on the opposite flank so that we don't get too narrow. Will agree with you in that I didn't think he played well tonight, but nothing to do with him coming inside, just didn't have a good game tonight.

I've spoken before about Tilly's weakness when it comes to sticking with players he knows well rather than picking the best 11 possible. We can't afford to do the same this year... If Sawyer is putting Macca to shame like I expect he will, and Tilson continues to favour Macca, then don't expect the supporters not to voice their opinion.

Said that last night. I thought Sawyer was a different class when he came on and surely must start in the centre against Huddersfield. Whether Macca will be good enough to hold is another matter, but I'd prefer JFC or Grant to do that role.
I do agree with you though, I think Tilly will have Macca playing instead of Sawyer...on last nights performances, big mistake!!!

If Tilly aint on the phone today getting a winger, centre half and left back in today then he aint doing his job.

Oh I know. let's get on the phone and sign up a winger, centre half and a left back. There's loads out there that would just fit right in here at Southend. Why didn't we just do that when the window first opened, it's clearly that simple.

It's done daily on FM, must be able to do the same in real life surely :dim:

Moussa has never stayed wide and played as an orthodox winger. He comes inside constantly and thats fine if there is a winger on the opposite flank so that we don't get too narrow. Will agree with you in that I didn't think he played well tonight, but nothing to do with him coming inside, just didn't have a good game tonight.

I disagree!

I know Moussa isnt an out and out winger - he's the closest thing we have to a 'Pettefer' (scary thought), but every player has to have a starting position - especially when we are defending.

I'm sure Tilly didnt give Moussa license to roam when we were being attacked down the left, so our left back is constantly left 2 v 1.

All Moussa did last night is confirm what many of us are saying - he isnt mature enough to play center mid (yet).

Sorry if most of what I'm about to say has been covered but I'm gonna add my two cents worth.

I felt is was a decent game last night, and a good test against a decent Championship side. Both their goals where from good passing moves. I felt it had a good edge to the game with tackles flying in left, right and centre including Grant on the ref. Their no 3, Delany I think, was the biggest mug I've seen in a long time. His shove on Laurent was disgraceful. If it was a league game we would have been sent off, not just for that, but the other bits as well.

In spells, I thought we played quite well, and Ipswich will be the best team we play this season baring any cup runs.

Now, the trialists. The left back, no thanks. Caught out of position too many times for my liking, although did have the pace to recover. No better than Herd in my opinion, and hopefully in Tilson's as well. The striker, whose name escapes me for the minute, looked to have something about him. Very quick, like I said before the game yesterday. One moment in particular showed what he was all about. Sawyer played a ball with the outside of his right foot down the left flank, now any of our other strikers this would have proved to be a wasted ball but he was onto it like a flash and beat his man on the byline. Worth another look for sure.

Now the defence. We started with Francis JFC Barrett Trialist then when Barrett went off we have Grant JFC Francis Trialist then to finish we had Grant JFC Trialist Herd. Neither of them back four are League One class, thats for sure. JFC proved himself as no centre half last night, but Francis "did a job" in there. Grant could play right back, but I'd have Francis and Sankofa above him. This showed how much we need a centre half and a left back in. Obviously, we all know that.

In terms of our best players, Sawyer and Laurent. Sawyer was a class above anything on the pitch when he came on and has to be a shoe in for the first game of the season ahead of Macca (More on him in a bit). Trotter for Ipswich run him close, but Sawyer is awesome. Laurent was brilliant, tricks and flicks aplenty, and also put in a couple of decent balls. Maybe a future right winger, but I'd rather see him through the middle.

Now Macca. He was awful last night, and I lost my rag with him. I can put up with him playing 3 passes blind which their strikers intercepted, Sawyer even did it once. What I can't put up with was his cowardly tackle in the first half. He lost the ball in the middle of midfield, and we could all see what was coming, he lept off the floor, two footed into the back of their player. Was lucky not to break his leg. It was cowardly, pathetic and disgusting. He really can be a liability. His one of our best players, I'm actually a big fan of his, but tackling like that will put us down to 10 men and cost us points. If I was Tilson I would have been fumming. I hope we don't see any more tackles like that. Coward.

Oh I know. let's get on the phone and sign up a winger, centre half and a left back. There's loads out there that would just fit right in here at Southend. Why didn't we just do that when the window first opened, it's clearly that simple.

Grow up idiot!!

Hows does Tilly contact other clubs then, perhaps he has a well trained pigeon we dont know about!

Yes, maybe...

As with any fox in the box, you need service though. That has been non-existant for a while now. Since Marky left actually.

Other than the need for a central defender to replace Prior, this has been our biggest priority for some time. We've got enough forwards who could score given good supply.

Said that last night. I thought Sawyer was a different class when he came on and surely must start in the centre against Huddersfield. Whether Macca will be good enough to hold is another matter, but I'd prefer JFC or Grant to do that role.
I do agree with you though, I think Tilly will have Macca playing instead of Sawyer...on last nights performances, big mistake!!!

McCormack is nowhere near good enough, or most importantly, disciplined enough to play the holding role. McCormack's strength is running around like a headless chicken, or as Colin Murphy would have it, a derranged ferret. The holding role requires reading of the game and discipline. Someone like Grant or Christophe has that, but McCormack doesn't, he just chases after the ball (or maybe the player who has just tackled him/intercepted his pass) like a school boy.

I disagree!

I know Moussa isnt an out and out winger - he's the closest thing we have to a 'Pettefer' (scary thought), but every player has to have a starting position - especially when we are defending.

I'm sure Tilly didnt give Moussa license to roam when we were being attacked down the left, so our left back is constantly left 2 v 1.

All Moussa did last night is confirm what many of us are saying - he isnt mature enough to play center mid (yet).

Moussa and Pettefer are very different players. On the evidence of what I saw the second half of last season, Moussa is more than capable of playing the left-sided midfield role, the only issue being that you'd get more out of him in the middle of the park.

As for his positioning, we don't know what role Tilson gave him. As a team we tend to defend quite narrowly, making sure teams don't get through the middle. The wide midfielder (they aren't wingers) job is often to stop his man going inside and force him out wide. As a manager I'd be far more concerned with teams going straight through the middle, than getting space out wide.

Personally I don't think Moussa roamed more than normal, but with Bagayoko not really up to it, it was more telling when they attacked our left side than when we had Harding or Barrett there.

Personally I don't think Moussa roamed more than normal, but with Bagayoko not really up to it, it was more telling when they attacked our left side than when we had Harding or Barrett there.

I thought Bagayoko did well considering the exposure he was getting. He spent most of the match either facing an onrushing forward who'd had the chance to build up a head of steam after breaking free of any midfield challenges, or else he was facing two men alone. Can't ask full backs to do much in those cases other than stay on their feet, try and make themselves big, and hope to get a chance to steal the ball.

Grow up idiot!!

Hows does Tilly contact other clubs then, perhaps he has a well trained pigeon we dont know about!

Read my post again. The sarcasm in it wasn't directed at the use of a phone to get the players in or contact their agents, which you evidently believed it was, but more over at the fact that you believe it's just a simple matter of phoning around and plucking out exactly the type of players we need and at the right price, which is the impression you gave in your first post. Well, it's not that easy .................... idiot :p

Well too much analysis on each player given, people are forgetting its only pre-season, it takes 5-10 games in the league for teams to start taking shape, and players to start hitting a bit of form, tilly has it under control

Back