• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0-2 Peterborough United

If you count passing in triangles in areas of the pitch that don't matter, yeah, terrific.

How many points do you get for that, exactly?

Can someone tell this clown to win you need to put the ball in the oppositions goal

WESTY it’s 7 in the morning mate do we really need abuse already at this time ?

He knows you’ve got to score to win. But it’s about trying something new. At half time we could see it. Before the goals we could also.

I have faith in this way of playing and I can see it coming good. But I think we’ve all got to be accepting of it. Change the football culture or just do what we’ve always done.

When we put good moves together we looked dangerous.

But that still didn’t keep the ball out the back of the net or put it in the other one.... for now any way.

When I saw the team, I assumed he was playing 3-5-2 with Elvis and Ralph as wing backs. However after a few minutes it was obvious that John White was playing RB and Elvis as RM and Goodship as LM so it was more of a 4-1-4-1

What also baffles me is the way that Bond drops players completely from the squad - last night it was the turn of Hutchinson and McLaughlin, but he’s already done the same to Robinson and Hyam this season.

He clearly doesn’t know what his best formation is, who are his best players and what system to play.

I really think he’s lost the plot. Can’t see Ron tolerating this for much longer.

Coco Kevin the Clown.

So in one comment he says that we lack a cutting edge, but in the next days that he may play none up front in the search for a clean sheet.

This buffoon needs to either wake up to reality or leave.

How long do you wait if the system doesn’t work?

Personally I think it’s got to be 10 games.
But if we haven’t picked up a single point in the next 3 then it might be time for either a) swallow his tactical pride and play a different way or b) get someone else in.

Which I would see as a shame because I think after time it’d work. But can we risk going back into league 2? Not sure.

Right... the positives.

After 20-odd minutes of the game and with it still somehow at 0-0, I turned to my mate and said that if I were a Peterboro fan I'd be concerned that they were not ahead because we can't continue to be that bad. Cue something happening to change our performance and for the rest of the half we played the best passing football under Bond and gave us a glimpse of what he is trying to achieve.

Hamilton looks very good.

The crowd really got behind the team at times.

Lennon looked better with the ball at his feet than I ever thought he would.

Can't think of much more.

But let's not kid ourselves; in the first 20 minutes we were as woeful and disorganised as I have ever - and I mean ever - seen. Passes were going to white shirts or into touch. No-one seemed to know what they were doing. It was shambolic and the fact that Posh weren't out of sight by then was just lucky.

Cue second half with both sides coming close, their terrific long range effort coming off a post and Goodship firing inches wide after a great move.

And then it all went wrong. I can't even be bothered to comment.

We were unlucky at the end with Milligan's header hitting the bar but in the end we got what we deserved... nothing.

@Onion_Bag_Dave is doing a great 1 man "Give Bond a Chance" rally on this and other threads and usually I'd be right there with him, but the fact is that we are not going to win any games playing like this. I'm normally all for giving managers time but we are now P4 W0 D0 L4 GF 1 GA 10 Pts 0.

How much time does he want?

As I said on another thread, we could be at zero points at the end of September. If we cannot shoot, we will not score.

As for his post match comments... he is seriously not sure if he could play none up front in an attempt to keep a clean sheet So an option for him is to play 10 at the back with a keeper. We have the players. the team would be

Oxley/Bishop (doesn't matter)

Bwomono White Shaughnessy Lennon Ralph

Milligan

McLaughlin Mantom Hyam Blackman

There you go. 5-1-4-0. Macca is the only person on the team sheet with any attacking instinct and that hasn't been seen for 2 seasons at least.

We could play endless triangles at the back, getting to the midfield and then... passing it back again. It would be a delight. There would only be 2 strikers for the opposition so even we could get around them and when their midfield pushes up, we could pass our way around them as well.

We could have 80% possession, all in our own half. The football would be terrific.

0-0 all the way, as long as we didn't manage an own goal. And as the other team got desperate and pushed the keeper up, Oxley could catch them out with a drop kick and score. So maybe it would matter if Oxley played... yeah, put the Ox in. He'd have a chance at being top scorer.

Listen, the fact that Bond even stated "none up front" means he's thinking about it. HE'S ACTUALLY THINKING ABOUT IT!

He is like Theresa May and her Brexit deal, trying to play the same style despite it not working again and again and again and again. Madness.

Enough is enough. We cannot give the rest of the league such a start. Forget Bury and Bolton, we have to start getting points on the board NOW. A 0-0 would be nice but it's not going to get us anywhere.

The formations and changes are too frequent, no-one knows what they are doing.

Football is a results business. He acknowledged that at least at the end of his interview and also stated that he has no concerns regarding Southend and "where THEY'LL be" at the end of the season.

They.

THEY!

These are the words of a man who knows that if the game isn't up yet, then the fat lady isn't just clearing her throat but the orchestra are playing the intro twice round while she gets a glass of water.

For the love of God, please, no more. To continue the Brexit analogies, get him out with no deal and make it before October 31st. In fact, before August 31st would be preferable.

Last edited:
Personally I think it’s got to be 10 games.
But if we haven’t picked up a single point in the next 3 then it might be time for either a) swallow his tactical pride and play a different way or b) get someone else in.

Which I would see as a shame because I think after time it’d work. But can we risk going back into league 2? Not sure.

The answer you are looking for is NO

When I saw the team, I assumed he was playing 3-5-2 with Elvis and Ralph as wing backs. However after a few minutes it was obvious that John White was playing RB and Elvis as RM and Goodship as LM so it was more of a 4-1-4-1

What also baffles me is the way that Bond drops players completely from the squad - last night it was the turn of Hutchinson and McLaughlin, but he’s already done the same to Robinson and Hyam this season.

He clearly doesn’t know what his best formation is, who are his best players and what system to play.

I really think he’s lost the plot. Can’t see Ron tolerating this for much longer.

Macca wasn't fit, apparently.

Right... the positives.

After 20-odd minutes of the game and with it still somehow at 0-0, I turned to my mate and said that if I were a Peterboro fan I'd be concerned that they were not ahead because we can't continue to be that bad. Cue something happening to change our performance and for the rest of the half we played the best passing football under Bond and gave us a glimpse of what he is trying to achieve.

Hamilton looks very good.

The crowd really got behind the team at times.

Lennon looked better with the ball at his feet than I ever thought he would.

Can't think of much more.

But let's not kid ourselves; in the first 20 minutes we were as woeful and disorganised as I have ever - and I mean ever - seen. Passes were going to white shirts or into touch. No-one seemed to know what they were doing. It was shambolic and the fact that Posh weren't out of sight by then was just lucky.

Cue second half with both sides coming close, their terrific long range effort coming off a post and Goodship firing inches wide after a great move.

And then it all went wrong. I can't even be bothered to comment.

We were unlucky at the end with Milligan's header hitting the bar but in the end we got what we deserved... nothing.

@Onion_Bag_Dave is doing a great 1 man "Give Bond a Chance" rally on this and other threads and usually I'd be right there with him, but the fact is that we are not going to win any games playing like this. I'm normally all for giving managers time but we are now P4 W0 D0 L4 GF 1 GA 8 Pts 0.

How much time does he want?

As I said on another thread, we could be at zero points at the end of September. If we cannot shoot, we will not score.

As for his post match comments... he is seriously not sure if he could play none up front in an attempt to keep a clean sheet So an option for him is to play 10 at the back with a keeper. We have the players. the team would be

Oxley/Bishop (doesn't matter)

Bwomono White Shaughnessy Lennon Ralph

Milligan

McLaughlin Mantom Hyam Blackman

There you go. 5-1-4-0. Macca is the only person on the team sheet with any attacking instinct and that hasn't been seen for 2 seasons at least.

We could play endless triangles at the back, getting to the midfield and then... passing it back again. It would be a delight. There would only be 2 strikers for the opposition so even we could get around them and when their midfield pushes up, we could pass our way around them as well.

We could have 80% possession, all in our own half. The football would be terrific.

0-0 all the way, as long as we didn't manage an own goal. And as the other team got desperate and pushed the keeper up, Oxley could catch them out with a drop kick and score. So maybe it would matter if Oxley played... yeah, put the Ox in. He'd have a chance at being top scorer.

Listen, the fact that Bond even stated "none up front" means he's thinking about it. HE'S ACTUALLY THINKING ABOUT IT!

He is like Theresa May and her Brexit deal, trying to play the same style despite it not working again and again and again and again. Madness.

Enough is enough. We cannot give the rest of the league such a start. Forget Bury and Bolton, we have to start getting points on the board NOW. A 0-0 would be nice but it's not going to get us anywhere.

The formations and changes are too frequent, no-one knows what they are doing.

Football is a results business. He acknowledged that at least at the end of his interview and also stated that he has no concerns regarding Southend and "where THEY'LL be" at the end of the season.

They.

THEY!

These are the words of a man who knows that if the game isn't up yet, then the fat lady isn't just clearing her throat but the orchestra are playing the intro twice round while she gets a glass of water.

For the love of God, please, no more. To continue the Brexit analogies, get him out with no deal and make it before October 31st. In fact, before August 31st would be preferable.

GA is 10 and the one GF was an OG

So now Bond says he might play 11 at the back and try and play for the 0-0. Great idea????
The man has not got a clue. He is so deluded, he thinks we played terriffic last night. :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

The tactics and the players inability to follow them correctly is what did for us last night. Individually we have some talented footballers out there but as a unit, it's not happening at the moment. Pleasingly, for me. Sam Mantom showed that he is a good footballer and ran his heart out last night. Goodship could have had two on another night and Hamilton looks a real plus for us. We need a goalkeeper that the team have confidence in, I don't see that from either of our two at the moment.

Subbing one Left Back for another at 0-2, particularly as Blackman was ****-poor just about summed it up, clueless.

So now Bond says he might play 11 at the back and try and play for the 0-0. Great idea????
The man has not got a clue. He is so deluded, he thinks we played terriffic last night. :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

I was of the opinion to give him time but after last night....no thanks. Yes he’s bought in some half decent players but he ain’t got a clue what to do with them. Can’t believe a lot of people said it was much better as I sat there bored and couldn’t wait for the final whistle. Every opposition keeper has a day off playing against us as we never have a shot. He keeps banging on about clean sheets, how bout another method, they score 2 and we get 3? He knows his methods could never achieve that so he’d rather barricade the goal up. Also it doesn’t help having a second rate pair of keepers if your gonna play this way.....one is a bottle job and the other is inexperienced and doesn’t know wether to stay or go.....shambles all round.

Thanks for the potentially decent players you’ve bought in (especially Hamilton).....now hand it over Ron to someone that can utilise them.

I missed the first 15 mins due to traffic( sounds like an got a result) Just a couple of small things no one else has mentioned

Do our guys know the new drop ball law?
First half we win a drop ball in their half in front of the east stand. We had the sum total of TWO. players ahead of the ball -

When bishop had the ball and waved everyone forward not once did one of our defenders stop his run and turn and call for the ball. Their forwards were not looking and would not have turned as well. Clearly not something we had practised and would have worked at least a couple of times.

Personally I don’t think Mantom has got enough credit, I thought he was excellent.

Goodship and Hamilton both impressed me and I think in time we will see both as excellent signings.

As soon as we concede you can see the confidence drain and another immediate goal is on the cards. Everyone starts making basic mistakes, it’s painful to watch and I actually feel sorry for the players.

If we don’t either change the way we play, or change the mindsets of the players , then we are in trouble. Yes for 20 minutes we looked very very good, and at ht I thought we would win. We had made our last standard awful defensive mistake (bishop out of goal and headed back) and it hadn’t resulted in a goal.
The gods were with us, unfortunately as soon as they scored we fell apart , and the second at the time just looked awful.

I don’t know if I want bond in or not. I am naturally against sacking people and I like the majority of the players he has brought in. I also get it that it can time to turn things around, and for 20 mins we looked very very good.

But at the same time ultimately over 90 mins we simply are not good enough, and with zero confidence and will continue to ship goals (22 or something similar since a clean sheet ?

Well, a bizarre team selection. The first 20 minutes left us lucky not to be 3 or 4 goals down, but luckily they were just as bad as us and didn't quite know what to do with being able to do whatever they wanted in the final third. Then we had a decent 10 minute spell before half-time, Goodship created a nice chance for himself. Started evenly after the break, until we conceded and fell apart. 2-0 and I've never seen a team look so disinterested, the full-time whistle might as well have gone after 60 minutes.

The defensive issues are the same week in, week out. Can't defend set pieces, can't defend crosses, positioning all over the place. So obviously, Bond the genius changes the line-up and the formation each week. Bloke hasn't got a clue. All very nice playing the ball around as we are, but the issue is that we're incapable of defending and we haven't seen a single sign of any improvement there. 4 league games, 10 goals conceded and 1 scored.

As for his post match comments, he's living on another planet. With each week he looks more out of his depth and you just have to wonder how much longer it can go on for.

Bishop 5 Nothing he could do about either goal, didn't really have too much else to do but nearly set up Lennon for an own goal with a crazy run out.
White 5 One magnificent block to deny a certain goal in the first half, then who knows where he was off to for the second goal.
Shaughnessy 3 Looks like a competition winner, his positioning is all over the place, he barely wins anything in the air, at fault for both goals.
Lennon 5 Not much he could have done about either goal but never looked particularly comfortable.
Ralph 6 The best in defence, got forward and put some crosses in, didn't look too weak defensively.
Elvis 5 Not a right winger, couldn't cope without the space to run into. Worked harder than anyone, but it didn't come off for him.
Mantom 5 Lucky not to be sent off for a needless tackle after 5 minutes, then gave possession away continually.
Hamilton 6 Looked to have something about him and get forwards, just suffered as he would often end up alone with Cox once he got into the final third.
Milligan 6 Not bad, but at times he was doing the job of a 4 man midfield single-handedly.
Goodship 7 So much better when he drifted central, really can't fathom why we persist with him out wide.
Cox 6 Did his best with no service.

Subs
Humphrys 6 Too little too late.
Blackman - Contributed nothing.
Ndukwu - Not long enough to make an impact.

If Bond can't see that we need Goodship in the middle, that Humphrys should be starting or that we need wingers on the pitch, we're hopeless. The signings on the whole are good, Ralph, Milligan, Hamilton, Goodship all looked like some of the best players in blue last night, but Shaughnessy is a disaster waiting to happen and Bond is misusing the whole squad spectacularly.

Last edited:
Back