• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0-2 Peterborough United

At the end of the day it is simple. We have lost all four league games and scored one goal(an own goal). Trying to take positives from yet another defeat, although I understand it are pointless. The players as a team failed to perform, as did the management team.

Early days but I would pick Hamilton over Dru for this season.

But didn’t you say we were sure to take something from the game so long as Hutchinson wasn’t involved? Do you have a new scapegoat now?
No I didn't say that we would take something from the game. I said that as long as he wasn't playing we would be better. Facts right please!!!!!!

Early days but I would pick Hamilton over Dru for this season.
Careful young Sir you'll have the Dru fan club gunning for you and wanting your head on a spike outside Roots Hall for that sort of comment

We are not a Prem or Championship team. As much as it lovely to watch playing out from the back is not a good idea. We need to move the ball faster up field as we can and let the forwards run on to the ball.

Careful young Sir you'll have the Dru fan club gunning for you and wanting your head on a spike outside Roots Hall for that sort of comment

I was one of the first to join the Dru club but I see Hamilton as having more strings to his bow.

@rigsby young? yeah, whatever. Bottom line we have sold Dru for a decnt amount which contributes to the club's financial survival. In his breakthrough season he was showing immense promise. Injury and whatever meant that he didn't reach those levels again. Hopefully he will with Brentford. Comparisons will be made and pound for pound @rigsby has called it exectly right and anyone that was there last night will hopefully agree. As for some gunning for 'young rigsby, pretty stupid move.

I've noticed that Bond has us playing a high line (presumably to encourage the passing from the back mentality), unfortunately our centre backs are slow as hell so all the opposition has to do is play a ball over the top for the striker to run on to the ball and they'll be in on goal.

We seem to have one centre half playing a high line and the other playing a deep line.

Yep agree with that but stop at source is first rule of defending crosses and he was so far out of position toney had space to pull away with JW twenty yards higher up the pitch for second

And if you can't stop the cross, at least don't give the man time to pick someone out.

What also baffles me is the way that Bond drops players completely from the squad - last night it was the turn of Hutchinson and McLaughlin, but he’s already done the same to Robinson and Hyam this season.

Yes this is really weird. Some are for injuries but not all of them. Is it punishment for ignoring instructions?

White 5 One magnificent block to deny a certain goal in the first half.

After he'd given the ball away in the first place.

Really? We must have been watching a different player. Mantom doesn’t have anywhere near the ability or willingness to drive forward with the ball at feet like Hamilton did.

Which is why I said he was an upgrade on Mantom ?‍♂️??

Moreover, remind me of the last time anyone in a Southend squad had the vision and finesse to pull off that through-ball that he played to Goodship in the first half.

What like the ball into Shaughnessy at Coventry?

No I didn't say that we would take something from the game. I said that as long as he wasn't playing we would be better. Facts right please!!!!!!

If he wasn’t playing we’d at least have a “fighting chance of getting something from the game” were your words.....what you implied was different....

We lost 2-0 to the worst side we’ve played...

I thought Hamilton was superb last night. So positive. He just never stopped running as well. You could see by his reaction at the final whistle the loss really hurt. Great attitude and a massive plus for this season.

He did ok. Far from superb. An upgrade on Mantom/Hyam. I’m just reserving judgement a little for now on the basis that I’ll judge what I see rather than where he’s come from or that he’s a shiny new button.....

We still lost 2-0 to the worst side we’ve played.
He didn’t get a goal or an assist (neither did anyone granted!)
He didn’t create a clear cut goal scoring chance.
He didn’t force the keeper into a save.
His passing % in one game was still lower than Milligan’s and Hutchinson’s have been in 3.

He was excellent while we were on top.....he was anonymous for first 15 and last 15 (accept he may have been nervous and then tired).

I reserved judgement on Shaughnessy and I’ll do the same here....it was a good solid debut but some of the purring was a little OTT

I thought Hamilton was superb last night. So positive. He just never stopped running as well. You could see by his reaction at the final whistle the loss really hurt. Great attitude and a massive plus for this season.
Yep, was very impressed with him last night. A real positive and showed glimpses of sheer class.

He did ok. Far from superb. An upgrade on Mantom/Hyam. I’m just reserving judgement a little for now on the basis that I’ll judge what I see rather than where he’s come from or that he’s a shiny new button.....

We still lost 2-0 to the worst side we’ve played.
He didn’t get a goal or an assist (neither did anyone granted!)
He didn’t create a clear cut goal scoring chance.
He didn’t force the keeper into a save.
His passing % in one game was still lower than Milligan’s and Hutchinson’s have been in 3.

He was excellent while we were on top.....he was anonymous for first 15 and last 15 (accept he may have been nervous and then tired).

I reserved judgement on Shaughnessy and I’ll do the same here....it was a good solid debut but some of the purring was a little OTT

This is League One, it doesn't get much better than that. I can't think of a better debut in the last 10 seasons. We have had quite a few from the Premiership that have been lightweight garbage, so I didn't base it on where he's come from, or a shiny new button, as you put it. I was with 6 mates. We all had the same opinion that he was excellent. Most on here have rated him as our best player last night. Maybe some posters like to go against the grain and actually enjoy a difference of opinion. Fair enough.

Last edited:
Few comments.
Barry Fry looked well in the DB, naff pinstripe suit.
Neil Harris can't have been very impressed, left early.
Ref was okay, crowd did their bit before going quiet like Mr Bond did for the last 20 minutes.
Hutch wasn't in the stands either, shame as he is a nice lad and although we didn't have a single free kick in a decent position all game he would be best to put the ball to the right spot.

This is League One, it doesn't get much better than that. I can't think of a better debut in the last 10 seasons. We have had quite a few from the Premiership that have been lightweight garbage, so I didn't base it on where he's come from, or a shiny new button, as you put it. I was with 6 mates. We all had the same opinion that he was excellent. Most on here have rated him as our best player last night. Maybe some posters like to go against the grain and actually enjoy a difference of opinion. Fair enough. You've had the most arguments this week, if you want to go by stats.

Just my opinion mate that’s all. I only judge what i see and like it or not, you and your 6 mates judgement will have been influenced in some way or other by where he was from....

He played well. I haven’t said he wasn’t good, isn’t talented or didn’t play well....he did....but the best debut you’ve seen in ten seasons?? That’s kind of what I mean.....

He did well on the ball in deep areas in the spells of the game that were the easiest....while we had most of the ball and after they went 2-0 up and sat back.....against the weakest team we've played...nothing made me say wow.

He’s decent in the air, he passes well under no pressure.....he looks a little one paced to me....but like I say I’m not saying he’s not good I’m just saying I’ll see more before getting out my seat.

Few comments.
Barry Fry looked well in the DB, naff pinstripe suit.
Neil Harris can't have been very impressed, left early.
Ref was okay, crowd did their bit before going quiet like Mr Bond did for the last 20 minutes.
Hutch wasn't in the stands either, shame as he is a nice lad and although we didn't have a single free kick in a decent position all game he would be best to put the ball to the right spot.

Hutch was in the East blacks with his girlfriend.

Just my opinion mate that’s all. I only judge what i see and like it or not, you and your 6 mates judgement will have been influenced in some way or other by where he was from....

He played well. I haven’t said he wasn’t good, isn’t talented or didn’t play well....he did....but the best debut you’ve seen in ten seasons?? That’s kind of what I mean.....

He did well on the ball in deep areas in the spells of the game that were the easiest....while we had most of the ball and after they went 2-0 up and sat back.....against the weakest team we've played...nothing made me say wow.

He’s decent in the air, he passes well under no pressure.....he looks a little one paced to me....but like I say I’m not saying he’s not good I’m just saying I’ll see more before getting out my seat.

What are you talking about? So why did we say all those other Premiership players we had on loan were crap, going by your logic?

What are you talking about? So why did we say all those other Premiership players we had on loan were crap, going by your logic?

Because at the moment any sign of light will be grabbed and held on for dear life to....

Jesus all I said was I was reserving judgement and backed up with why I was doing that!!!

IN MY OPINION he wasn’t outstanding. He was good.

IN MY OPINION he isn’t the answer to our creative issues....Goodship is more likely to be that...but forward movement and players running behind the back line will actually be the key for several of our midfield to be creative...

IN MY OPINION he is more of a Mantom type player than a Jack Payne.

IN MY OPINION he may lack pace (I’ll wait til I’ve seen more)

IN MY OPINION he excelled in deeper areas with time and space on the ball

IN MY OPINION he was good while we were on top and also good when it went 2-0 and Peterborough dropped off (see above!)

IN MY OPINION Peterborough were the worst side we’ve played.

FACT he didn’t get an assist

FACT he didn’t have a shot on target

FACT (according to the OS) his pass % was below Milligan and Hutchinson

What is the problem?

Back