• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0-2 Portsmouth FC

Have not moved an inch since Phil Brown.....in fact probably worse!

Aside from the fact that Chris Powell has about half a squad at his disposal at the moment, most of whom were signed by Brown. Last night's starting eleven contained three players signed by Powell (two on loan).

What's our strongest team if everyone's fit? Hard to say given we haven't really seen Kiernan, Sam Barratt or Lennon at all, but given Powell seems to rate Lennon very highly then you have to assume he'd be a starter. So if Powell had everyone available to him, he'd probably pick:

Oxley
Demetriou
Moore
Lennon
Coker
Bunn
Mantom
Yearwood
Dieng
Cox
Hopper

So therefore we probably had about four of Powell's preferred eleven starting last night.

The worst i have seen us play all season in my opinion. It's very rare that i leave roots hall so deflated. Very poor.

Portsmouth made 10 changes to the team that won against Norwich, and i know i have read people on here say we made 6 changes also, but SCP put a team out there last night more than capable of at least giving this Portsmouth team a decent match, but they did not. I believe these players need to take a long hard look at themselves after that performance.

For me the only players to come out with any credit were Dieng and Hutchinson when they came on (Dieng wins and retains possession for us so often, and Hutchinson got us moving forward more with the ball than any other player) and again Taylor Moore who hopefully his injury is not too serious, otherwise that is another massive blow.

Robinson will get stick but i thought he was unlucky to be honest, the two Portsmouth center backs played very well and for most of the game Robinson had very little support with him, it looked like he was being marked by two players the whole game.

SCP must do some recruitment in January, and i would say there is a fair bit of deadwood in our squad who could do with being moved on......

embarrassing

You think the quality of the competition affected the players? Everyone thinks this cup is tinpot, so maybe the players do and see it as an inconvenience.

A bad night all round with the worst news being the injury to Moore. The main feature for me was that we were so lightweight, Pompey had players who were much taller and stronger. This meant that they were always dangerous with free kicks and corners. When we had set pieces it was so easy for the opposition to deal with. Every long ball up to Robinson was dealt with by guys who were five inches taller. In 50/50's they usually outmuscled our lads.

Smith 6
Elvis 6
White 6
Moore 6
Hendrie 4
Kightly 5
Hyam 4
Yearwood 8
Bunn 6
Cox 5
Theo 5

Subs
McLaughlin 4
Dieng 6
Hutchinson 5

We desperately need more height in the team

Have not moved an inch since Phil Brown.....in fact probably worse!

Indeed, we haven't moved an inch since PB.

We are still in the top half of League One! :Thumbs up::Cool:

Including CP?

In my opinion you don't sack a manager who took over a side 20th in the table and finished 10th in less than half a season, has lost half a squad including most of his own signings to long-term injury yet still has us 10th in the table, above where our budget says we should be, gets further in the cups (although that's not saying much) than any season in the last five years and is widely regarded as very popular in the dressing room and in the stands. Not to mention a fine ambassador for SUFC.

Yes last night was bobbins but given the bigger picture, I just can't understand why anyone would consider getting rid of the manager.

In my opinion you don't sack a manager who took over a side 20th in the table and finished 10th in less than half a season, has lost half a squad including most of his own signings to long-term injury yet still has us 10th in the table, above where our budget says we should be, gets further in the cups (although that's not saying much) than any season in the last five years and is widely regarded as very popular in the dressing room and in the stands. Not to mention a fine ambassador for SUFC.

Yes last night was bobbins but given the bigger picture, I just can't understand why anyone would consider getting rid of the manager.
Popular in the dressing room and the stands is wearing thin .Odd selections with no effort by some players and some of the most negative play I've seen in years

You think the quality of the competition affected the players? Everyone thinks this cup is tinpot, so maybe the players do and see it as an inconvenience.

There is definitely some mileage in this statement....I’m not saying it makes the performance excusable in any way but it’s important that everything is given context....

If as fans we talk about a game with limited enthusiasm, we dismiss a competition as a waste of time, we talk of boycotting it, not interested in it, are vocal about playing reserves / 23s, express a real fear of losing players to injury....how do we think the players approach the game?

Do we think they may be concerned with picking up an injury? Do they view it as a poor competition? Would they prefer to be be “rested” for it? Is it hard to motivate yourself properly when you know you’re on a hiding to nothing playing someone else’s reserves...a win and no real credit yet a loss is humiliating? You turn up and are used to playing in front of 8000 and you walk out to 1500 with 3/4 of the ground entirely unpopulated?

I’m not making excuses or saying it’s acceptable as they are pros and it is their job but let’s be realistic, it’s a game based on Adrenalin and enthusiasm, effort and physicality....we all have days at work where we feel uninspired and have a day ahead of mundane tasks....don’t those days drag? Aren’t they met with far less enthusiasm than usual?

I’m not sure where, but I’m sure I read that checkatrade games don’t even carry the usual bonuses etc so at the risk of missing Saturday injured where I get an appearance fee a win bonus a clean sheet bonus or a goal bonus....why would I risk this by competing and risking injury in a game where I get none of that?

Rumour has it theres a lackof commitment because the players havent been paid for 2 months , this comes from a player who played last night so this person says.

What's our strongest team if everyone's fit? Hard to say given we haven't really seen Kiernan, Sam Barratt or Lennon at all, but given Powell seems to rate Lennon very highly then you have to assume he'd be a starter. So if Powell had everyone available to him, he'd probably pick:

Oxley
Demetriou
Moore
Lennon
Coker
Bunn
Mantom
Yearwood
Dieng
Cox
Hopper

So therefore we probably had about four of Powell's preferred eleven starting last night.

You have to deal with it. You have to overcome adversity and to be honest Powell has been sulking since Hopper got injured and its pathetic. We've seen his interviews and if thats how he addresses team talks then would you wanna play for him?

Getting away with murder because he used to play for us

Their movement and technique was clever, encouraged and caused us no end of problems. In contrast, when we were in possession of the ball we looked like we lacked belief, ideas and ability.
The midfield four was extremely flat and there was very little obvious options open for the forward pass. Where were the angles? The movement? Support for the man on the ball?
Individually, collectively and tactically it was poor.

Rumour has it theres a lackof commitment because the players havent been paid for 2 months , this comes from a player who played last night so this person says.

Rubbish. I’m not having that. If that were true there’d be some far more informed and serious rumours than this. Be very careful as nothing would unsettle the fans more than this type of rumour and unsettled fans leads to very nervous footballers and very nervous footballers really find it hard to perform....

There is definitely some mileage in this statement....I’m not saying it makes the performance excusable in any way but it’s important that everything is given context....

If as fans we talk about a game with limited enthusiasm, we dismiss a competition as a waste of time, we talk of boycotting it, not interested in it, are vocal about playing reserves / 23s, express a real fear of losing players to injury....how do we think the players approach the game?

Do we think they may be concerned with picking up an injury? Do they view it as a poor competition? Would they prefer to be be “rested” for it? Is it hard to motivate yourself properly when you know you’re on a hiding to nothing playing someone else’s reserves...a win and no real credit yet a loss is humiliating? You turn up and are used to playing in front of 8000 and you walk out to 1500 with 3/4 of the ground entirely unpopulated?

I’m not making excuses or saying it’s acceptable as they are pros and it is their job but let’s be realistic, it’s a game based on Adrenalin and enthusiasm, effort and physicality....we all have days at work where we feel uninspired and have a day ahead of mundane tasks....don’t those days drag? Aren’t they met with far less enthusiasm than usual?

I’m not sure where, but I’m sure I read that checkatrade games don’t even carry the usual bonuses etc so at the risk of missing Saturday injured where I get an appearance fee a win bonus a clean sheet bonus or a goal bonus....why would I risk this by competing and risking injury in a game where I get none of that?

^
Good post, that.

"I’m not sure where, but I’m sure I read that checkatrade games don’t even carry the usual bonuses etc so at the risk of missing Saturday injured where I get an appearance fee a win bonus a clean sheet bonus or a goal bonus....why would I risk this by competing and risking injury in a game where I get none of that?"

How about "Because I want to start on Saturday?"

"I’m not sure where, but I’m sure I read that checkatrade games don’t even carry the usual bonuses etc so at the risk of missing Saturday injured where I get an appearance fee a win bonus a clean sheet bonus or a goal bonus....why would I risk this by competing and risking injury in a game where I get none of that?"

How about "Because I want to start on Saturday?"

I haven’t got any answers mate I’m just trying to offer some thought process that goes beyond “that’s ****”, “he’s ****”, “they’re ****”!

Let’s just take one example....Cox will defo start Saturday yes? Our only forward? A risk to play him last night? Maybe....just maybe he was risked for what he can offer with the ball but was well aware he was to steer clear of too much physical contact and was to “get through the game”?

Do you think that may have affected his performance? Will he still play Saturday?

Of course.

Additionally, we don't know how much pressure SCP was under from RM regarding selection, so some of the players may well have played against SCP's better judgement.

Definitely possible.

Take Kightly for example. I have no idea if anyone wants him off the wage bill or not but that’s a hard enough task in itself.....it’ll be nigh on impossible to do if he’s not seen playing and seen as fit....

It's from the Southend United Facebook group, which is mainly populated by very strange people. I wouldn't pay much attention to it.

I haven’t got any answers mate I’m just trying to offer some thought process that goes beyond “that’s ****”, “he’s ****”, “they’re ****”!

Let’s just take one example....Cox will defo start Saturday yes? Our only forward? A risk to play him last night? Maybe....just maybe he was risked for what he can offer with the ball but was well aware he was to steer clear of too much physical contact and was to “get through the game”?

Do you think that may have affected his performance? Will he still play Saturday?

Of course.

Very good point about Cox. Probably why he was taken off at half time.

Back