• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0-2 Portsmouth FC

Ricey

I’m a Mod, that’s unpossible⭐⭐
Staff member
Embarrassing,

You know what to do people.

At least with the win lose sequence, we might win the next match and it is in the league... Wishful thinking perhaps...

Southend United......... nul points. SCP must be livid that his team were played off the park by Pompey's reserves. Surely this was an opportunity to give some keen U-23 players a start...?

Only Yearwood sounded interested.

A shower of **** quite frankly.

Our Southend "Top Guns" best eleven got proper spanked by the pompey yoot, probably half of them havent even taken their GCSE's yet.

Our season is officially over, 10 points off the play off's.... 8 points of the relegation zone..... and we have all the consistency in form of the Mrs Mattito's Custard.

Currently Plymouth looks like a tough ask for 3 points on Saturday considering our current form and added injuries.

Southend 0- 2 Portsmouth B .

That was a terrible performance. Never got going and don’t remember a decent effort on target.
I think the players should be embarrassed tbh. Lacked any quality and guile and basically just looked disinterested. Once we conceded never looked like getting back in it.
Moore went off injured which just adds to the misery.
Don’t see any positives at the moment. Can’t imagine that did Ted’s confidence much good.

Kightly and McLaughlin can both leave ASAP.. both just so off form and think it’s time to move them on.
I don’t think we should worry about Dru leaving, can’t imagine anyone will take a punt on him based on this seasons performance’s.. I think he still has to prove himself at this level... strange decision to make him captain.
Theo... another bad night.. starting to get annoying.

We need a few players in desperately.. most of these players just aren’t up to it.

Anyway onto Saturday where we will definitely win to continue our form of WLWLWLWLWL

UTB

I’m trying to think of something positive to say, but it eludes me.

Only players with any credit are Dru and Dieng in the 2nd half. Bunn did OK but just lacks the killer ball. Everyone else can take a cold bath.

Yearwood looked decent, Bunn at least tried things (even if very little came off) the rest didn't look bothered.

Theo was especially bad, usually Theo's role is making runs but today he played with his back to goal which only highlights how bad his passing is, I don't know if that was a bad tactical decision or if Theo just didn't want to run today.

Kightly did nothing and highlighted that Elvis isn't actually very good at defending and badly needs a winger that will cover for him.

Yearwood 7
Hutchinson 5
Theo 2
Everyone else 4

Would rather have stuck a load of the under 23’s out there. At least they might’ve looked like they gave half a ****.

Well, I've had better nights. Cold, miserable, soulless.

Nothing positive to say at all. It was over as a contest after 84 seconds. I don't think we had any tactics or shape. In fact, I'd go as far as saying we weren't overly bothered....

Yearwood 7
Hutchinson 5
Theo 2
Everyone else 4

Would rather have stuck a load of the under 23’s out there. At least they might’ve looked like they gave half a ****.

Hindsight is a wonder thing.

But I couldn't have put it better myself, we should have rested our deadwood and gave the U23's a chance to show what they are all about in terms of pushing for a start or a place on the bench in the next following games.

Well, I've had better nights. Cold, miserable, soulless.

Nothing positive to say at all. It was over as a contest after 84 seconds. I don't think we had any tactics or shape. In fact, I'd go as far as saying we weren't overly bothered....
I'm starting to wonder whether money, or the lack of it, is behind our lacklustre showing.

Thoroughly deserved win by Portsmouth. They were different class especially the first half. Dru I thought was nearly back to his best and never gave up. Elvis gave his all and at least tried. The negatives were our best player this season getting injured. God help us. Theo was incredibly bad again. Kightly the same. McLaughlin possibly our most inconsistent player ever at Southend, had one of his bad games. When he's bad he's really bad. When he's good he's really good. Hyam kept passing backwards. Our forwards were woeful with shocking shooting.
I think we might need at least 4 in this transfer window as this lot look shot.

A shower of **** quite frankly.

Our Southend "Top Guns" best eleven got proper spanked by the pompey yoot, probably half of them havent even taken their GCSE's yet.

Our season is officially over, 10 points off the play off's.... 8 points of the relegation zone..... and we have all the consistency in form of the Mrs Mattito's Custard.

Currently Plymouth looks like a tough ask for 3 points on Saturday considering our current form and added injuries.

It may have been a much-changed Portsmouth team but they still had the likes of Burgess, Dennis, Wheeler, May, Green (who scored the winner on Saturday vs Norwich). So perhaps not the bunch of kids everyone will assume.

Was a very poor display though. Lacked tempo and urgency in the first half particularly, and we seemed to want to overplay the ball (which is a classic sign of a lack of confidence). As poor as we were it is only the Checkatrade Trophy, and by far the most significant moment of the evening was losing Taylor Moore. We have to pray that is not a bad one.

We tried lots of intricate stuff when we don't really have the players to do it. Bunn gave the ball away a lot as did Theo. Kightly was never in the game, Hyam looks like every game is a testimonial to him and his passing is not slick enough.

Positives were the performances of the young players. Yearwood was the best player we had and Hutchinson showed lots of energy when he came on. He seems to be bedding into first team football and that is a great sign. Elvis was always an outlet, some things came off for him and others didn't. Great to see Ted Smith back, he didn't have much to do but it will do him good to be back out there.

I don't care who they put out, that looked like a Portsmouth team on top of the world at the moment. Very confident and loads of self belief. Never looked in trouble. Great display by them, credit where credit is due. This wasn't a league game, but it looks like a real gap between the top few in the division and the rest this year. Big, big clubs like Sunderland and Portsmouth obviously they're going to have many more resources, but it is clear that with the money stretching everything out in football, it's not going to be long before it is very, very tough to break into that League One top 6 for a club like us.

A night to forget, fortunately it is a nothing game and Saturday is far more important. I trust CP will be handing out a tremendous bollocking and he will have them up for a huge game which we need to win to take one more step towards ending this cursed season still in League One, which considering our decimated squad, is not to be sniffed at.

Thankfully I still boycott that trophy.

Pompey made 10 changes, we made 6. Maybe unfair to say it was our first team vs their reserves. Throw in our injuries and think about who would have been our planned starting 11 back in August. Maybe dru, Cox. Possibly Taylor and maybe one or other of bunn or kightly. Not exactly our strongest team

Thanks Jai for a good and fair report. The positives for this season so far, and as some have said it hasn't been good, are that the youth have shown that they have some skill and good attitudes (in the main). Ted, Elvis, Moore, Dru, Hendrie, Hutch are still young and will hopefully keep on making progress. In tonight's game only the young'uns and Bunny looked comfortable on the ball & interested to try proper football.
Timlin was in the DBox and in seeing him I wonder if CP is regretting letting Dru's best partner move on as Dru & Hyem is NOT a midfield to create chances/opportunities for our forwards.

It may have been a much-changed Portsmouth team but they still had the likes of Burgess, Dennis, Wheeler, May, Green (who scored the winner on Saturday vs Norwich). So perhaps not the bunch of kids everyone will assume.

Was a very poor display though. Lacked tempo and urgency in the first half particularly, and we seemed to want to overplay the ball (which is a classic sign of a lack of confidence). As poor as we were it is only the Checkatrade Trophy, and by far the most significant moment of the evening was losing Taylor Moore. We have to pray that is not a bad one.

We tried lots of intricate stuff when we don't really have the players to do it. Bunn gave the ball away a lot as did Theo. Kightly was never in the game, Hyam looks like every game is a testimonial to him and his passing is not slick enough.

Positives were the performances of the young players. Yearwood was the best player we had and Hutchinson showed lots of energy when he came on. He seems to be bedding into first team football and that is a great sign. Elvis was always an outlet, some things came off for him and others didn't. Great to see Ted Smith back, he didn't have much to do but it will do him good to be back out there.

I don't care who they put out, that looked like a Portsmouth team on top of the world at the moment. Very confident and loads of self belief. Never looked in trouble. Great display by them, credit where credit is due. This wasn't a league game, but it looks like a real gap between the top few in the division and the rest this year. Big, big clubs like Sunderland and Portsmouth obviously they're going to have many more resources, but it is clear that with the money stretching everything out in football, it's not going to be long before it is very, very tough to break into that League One top 6 for a club like us.

A night to forget, fortunately it is a nothing game and Saturday is far more important. I trust CP will be handing out a tremendous bollocking and he will have them up for a huge game which we need to win to take one more step towards ending this cursed season still in League One, which considering our decimated squad, is not to be sniffed at.

Have not moved an inch since Phil Brown.....in fact probably worse!

I can really see a massive clear out at the end of the season .

Back