• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mohnsi - 8 MOM. Brilliant again and the best player. Competent at the back, great skill and brilliant in the air, our main goalscoring threat. Problem is he is our best defender and best striker, wish we could clone another one from somewhere. A quite wonderful footballer and a delight to watch. Probably the most versatile player that I have ever seen.

While I agree with your points about Moshni, there is no way that describes his performance last night. Thought he was poor by his own high standards.
Nobody on that pitch last night wearing a blue shirt was anywhere near an 8 and that includes the fan favourite.

Firstly, a massive 10/10 for the efforts of all involved to get the pitch cleared and the game on. Was lurking on the OS and BBC Sport websites all day to see if I had to leave work early to get there or not. In hindsight, maybe some snowmen would've helped, especially on the goal-line...:smile:

Was utterly p**d off and bloody freezing when I got home last night, and I think I have a bit more perspcetive today, so will try to reflect on positives as well as the obvious!

There are loads of behind the scenes antics rumoured again (sound familiar anyone??), and I think that this has had a massive impact on the morale of the manager and the whole squad. On paper, we have a fabulous manager, good backroom staff and squad of talented and decent players for this level - good people dont suddenly become useless overnight for no reason... there is definately more to this than poor tactics and playing hoofball! We have gone from a squad that was too small to suddenly almost having too many to pick from, which isnt helpful. Add in a drop in form for Hall, who was our most creative player earlier this season, and a distinct lack of confidence all round and suddenly we are in quite a bit of trouble. Yes, we are still third, but only because we had such a good run before Christmas - we have just dropped 11 points out of a possible 12, which in my book is relegation form! It would be so bad if we had been playing to the best of our ability and lost, or we had a run of bad luck and a few bad results, but we just dont even look interested! I have said it before, the coincidence between TB leaving and the dramatic drop in form is quite astounding. Sadly, if we even make the playoffs now, I will be surprised!!

Morris - 6. Poor guy is never going to be the same standard as Daniels, and its unfair to make that comparison as he is a good keeper at this level and did well at the start of the season before his injury. He did what he could competently and couldnt do much about either goal.

Clohessy - 6. Showed a lot of character last night, he probably shouldnt have played as he wasnt well, and he was the best of the crop in defence (again!), maybe just not quite to his usual standard.

Gilbert - 5. I dont think he is as bad as he is portrayed, to be honest. He plays "direct" no nonsense balls and looks for the safe(ish) clearance, which combined with a non existent midfield and no credible target man up top makes for a lovely display of hoof!

Barker - 4. Was involved in both goals, so not the best performance of the season! I still dont think he is fit after his injury, I tend to agree that the captain shouldnt be an automatic selection. I would have had him on the bench and Baldwin out there last night.

Mohnsi - 7 MOM. Put in a lot of effort last night, and is always entertaining. I am still not convinced about his positioning, he does tend to "wander" into other player's zones but very strong in the air and was our only creative outlet. Definately an asset as he is so versatile and because he is unpredictable it makes him a bigger threat. One of these days, one of the lobs over the opponents goalkeeper from the halfway line will go in!

Kalala - 4. Not doing it for me, may as well have stayed in the dressing room for the amount he contributed.

Grant - 4. Ditto

Timlin - 5. Out of position and trying to do his own job as well as Grants & JPK's... just not effective on any level.

Hall - 5. Unlucky with 2 reasonable efforts, but didnt do much else. We shouldnt be relying so heavily one one player.

Benyon - 6. Some good touches and awareness, but not able to deal with the long high ball. Needs a decent strike partner.

Dickinson - 1. The manager must be seeing something on the training ground that we arent seeing. I just dont get it - another awful display from a player who was highly rated at his last club. Why he was in the starting line up regularly is totally beyond me, he is not a target man, he ducks when a head height ball comes anywhere near him (which is a lot of the time), he seems to have lead feet and his attempts to control the ball end up further away than any of his (wayward) passes, which mostly go straight to the opposition. Apart from the odd penalty, I cant see what he adds. I would have Blair out there in his place any day of the week, because at least you know what you are getting. In fact, I would go as far to say I would prefer Drewe Broughton...

Subs - Left far too late, esp Sampson & Harris. changes should have been made at half time. Still, the team looked far more balanced, the ball was suddenly back on the deck and we looked more ready to attack when the three of them finally came on.

Martin -7 Looks positive and brought some decent touches. Linked in well with Timlin and looks like the starts of a good understanding with Gilbert.
Sampson - 6 Should be starting over Dickinson. Looks strong and positive, and would be a better partner for Benyon.
Harris - 6 experience showed last night, some good runs and lots of intelligence but the poor old legs are not what they were.

Firstly, a massive 10/10 for the efforts of all involved to get the pitch cleared and the game on. Was lurking on the OS and BBC Sport websites all day to see if I had to leave work early to get there or not. In hindsight, maybe some snowmen would've helped, especially on the goal-line...:smile:

Was utterly p**d off and bloody freezing when I got home last night, and I think I have a bit more perspcetive today, so will try to reflect on positives as well as the obvious!

There are loads of behind the scenes antics rumoured again (sound familiar anyone??), and I think that this has had a massive impact on the morale of the manager and the whole squad. On paper, we have a fabulous manager, good backroom staff and squad of talented and decent players for this level - good people dont suddenly become useless overnight for no reason... there is definately more to this than poor tactics and playing hoofball! We have gone from a squad that was too small to suddenly almost having too many to pick from, which isnt helpful. Add in a drop in form for Hall, who was our most creative player earlier this season, and a distinct lack of confidence all round and suddenly we are in quite a bit of trouble. Yes, we are still third, but only because we had such a good run before Christmas - we have just dropped 11 points out of a possible 12, which in my book is relegation form! It would be so bad if we had been playing to the best of our ability and lost, or we had a run of bad luck and a few bad results, but we just dont even look interested! I have said it before, the coincidence between TB leaving and the dramatic drop in form is quite astounding. Sadly, if we even make the playoffs now, I will be surprised!!

Morris - 6. Poor guy is never going to be the same standard as Daniels, and its unfair to make that comparison as he is a good keeper at this level and did well at the start of the season before his injury. He did what he could competently and couldnt do much about either goal.

Clohessy - 6. Showed a lot of character last night, he probably shouldnt have played as he wasnt well, and he was the best of the crop in defence (again!), maybe just not quite to his usual standard.

Gilbert - 5. I dont think he is as bad as he is portrayed, to be honest. He plays "direct" no nonsense balls and looks for the safe(ish) clearance, which combined with a non existent midfield and no credible target man up top makes for a lovely display of hoof!

Barker - 4. Was involved in both goals, so not the best performance of the season! I still dont think he is fit after his injury, I tend to agree that the captain shouldnt be an automatic selection. I would have had him on the bench and Baldwin out there last night.

Mohnsi - 7 MOM. Put in a lot of effort last night, and is always entertaining. I am still not convinced about his positioning, he does tend to "wander" into other player's zones but very strong in the air and was our only creative outlet. Definately an asset as he is so versatile and because he is unpredictable it makes him a bigger threat. One of these days, one of the lobs over the opponents goalkeeper from the halfway line will go in!

Kalala - 4. Not doing it for me, may as well have stayed in the dressing room for the amount he contributed.

Grant - 4. Ditto

Timlin - 5. Out of position and trying to do his own job as well as Grants & JPK's... just not effective on any level.

Hall - 5. Unlucky with 2 reasonable efforts, but didnt do much else. We shouldnt be relying so heavily one one player.

Benyon - 6. Some good touches and awareness, but not able to deal with the long high ball. Needs a decent strike partner.

Dickinson - 1. The manager must be seeing something on the training ground that we arent seeing. I just dont get it - another awful display from a player who was highly rated at his last club. Why he was in the starting line up regularly is totally beyond me, he is not a target man, he ducks when a head height ball comes anywhere near him (which is a lot of the time), he seems to have lead feet and his attempts to control the ball end up further away than any of his (wayward) passes, which mostly go straight to the opposition. Apart from the odd penalty, I cant see what he adds. I would have Blair out there in his place any day of the week, because at least you know what you are getting. In fact, I would go as far to say I would prefer Drewe Broughton...

Subs - Left far too late, esp Sampson & Harris. changes should have been made at half time. Still, the team looked far more balanced, the ball was suddenly back on the deck and we looked more ready to attack when the three of them finally came on.

Martin -7 Looks positive and brought some decent touches. Linked in well with Timlin and looks like the starts of a good understanding with Gilbert.
Sampson - 6 Should be starting over Dickinson. Looks strong and positive, and would be a better partner for Benyon.
Harris - 6 experience showed last night, some good runs and lots of intelligence but the poor old legs are not what they were.

I don't know why Morris keeps getting mentioned since his one bad game. Handling was sound, kicking found a blue head 19 times out of 20 unlike Daniels and far more blame should be apportioned to Sturrock for hating anyone that drives forward i.e Sawyer and Martin, Barker for giving yet another 2 goals away and Gilbert who would struggle in Conference South!

I don't know why Morris keeps getting mentioned since his one bad game. Handling was sound, kicking found a blue head 19 times out of 20 unlike Daniels and far more blame should be apportioned to Sturrock for hating anyone that drives forward i.e Sawyer and Martin, Barker for giving yet another 2 goals away and Gilbert who would struggle in Conference South!

Sturrock's view is that Sawyer does drive from the midfield, just that unfortunately it's always sideways. I'm as much a fan of Sawyer as the next man, but, for the most part, Sturrock's right!

As for Martin, one of the few players last night to come out with credit.

Funny, I didnt think I was blaming Morris for the defeat, both their goals were down to the defence and he couldnt do much about either of them... what I was getting at is that trying to compare Morris and Daniels, as some have been, isnt fair!

Funny, I didnt think I was blaming Morris for the defeat, they were both down to the defence and he couldnt do much about either of them... what I was getting at is that trying to compare Morris and Daniels, as some have been, isnt fair!
But you was implying Daniels is a superstar compared to Morris but if you cared to see them both training then Morris looks far superior to the other bloke!

Er no... they are very different players - but its not worth the effort of arguing because the goalkeeper (whoever is between the sticks) isnt the issue!

well Mondays game will be my last for a while! If I hadnt already got the tickets I would certainly think twice before making the 170 mile round trip to get to a game thats being televised! .

170 mile round trip from Rayleigh?. Suggest you use a sat nav, and save yourself a lot of wasted miles!

What amazes me is that fans actually think the players try to not be good!

1st half was quite good and not bad. 2nd half wasn't great but we still created.

We need Phillips back in SHARPISH. (I see on his twitter that he is close to being fully fit).

I would then actually drop Barker and bring in Phillips. Barker is a classy player, but every player has a dip in form.

The joke is that they didn't really create anything all night, although looking at the stats they had 11 attempts on target (cannot remember those).

Majority of games called off today which will mean a lot of games in short space of time for some of the teams around us. We could still be 3rd by this time 6pm today, we then if we win on Monday could go top.

It really is not as bad as some of you are saying. The best thing about this is Sturrock. He will not take any **** and he will drop players.

Mohsni was outstanding last night, a real touch of class. Clohessy again good, never had a bad game for us.

I actually think since Leonard has been out the side we have lost the width that is important.

I would actually play on Monday night

I really don't think that's a good idea.

Well I got the score right in the pre match thread, also the late second goal after a tight game and both strikers scoring. The trouble is the teams swapped kit at the start and the reds won and looked more like a top seven side. What has happened since I saw us win so comfortably 4-0 at their place and their manager was berating their inability to keep the ball out of their net and woeful defending. It shows it can be turned around but will it in time to rescue our promotion campaign? do not feel to confident at the mo. Barker at fault for both goals not clearing his lines, poor Morris who has rightly had some stick had no chance with two clinical finishes, something we lack currently.

Morris 6.5 - Did nothing wrong , no chance on both goals
Clohessy 6 - Solid as ever even with food poisoning negating his forward forays a bit
Mohsni 7 - MOTM, must play every week in any position, natural footballer with a will to win
Barker 5 - Looked better than of late, but at fault on both goals for dallying instead of hoofing the ball into row Z ( ironic!)
Gilbert 4.5 - Hoofing without looking, one such went straight to their centre half with no blues player within 20 yards
Hall 6 - Strangely quiet, if Hall off his game, so are we, no other has his assista
Kalala 5.5 - OK, does not work with Grant, too negative
Grant 4.5 - What has happened to the confident, foul winning, ball winning, free roaming goalscorer of early 10-11 season
Timlin 6 - Struggling with our lack of options and others not wanting the ball when in possession
Benyon 5.5 - Tidy but ineffective as per a lot of our strikers in recent years, is it the service?
Dickinson 4.5 - When he is good he is good, when he is bad, he is bad, did not chase everything and turned his back a couple of times when could have forced errors out of the back four, like Harrad & Revell for their goals

Martin 7 - Undoubtedly should have started, if not picked Monday will be seriously worried about PS
Sampson 6 - Not much time, also deserves a start
Harris 6 - Felt sorry for him, ran & ran for time on just as pitch had frozen over and could not keep his feet

As PS said in after match interview, needs to make several changes on Monday, hope he keeps to it. Amazingly could still go top again before Tuesdays games but this has not inspired us to achieve in the last few weeks, hopefully the 11 selected, if game on, will make us proud of their efforts. We are due one now, surely.

Anyone else notice how after half time Moshni kept launching it into touch, down the line, etc, as opposed to him trying to dribble it out from the back? Don't think he did it once in the second half.
When PS spoke of players not carrying out instructions and clearing their lines from the back, I'd imagine he was talking about Moshni. Luggy isn't a fan of ball playing central defenders, especially at this level, and I'd be surprised if he starts at centre back Monday.

Spot on.

Clearly the instructions are hoof the ball and don't try and play football.

Friday night was clearly a major success.

Are you seriously criticising Mohsni for tonight ??
Hardly at fault' for the goal as you put it , but please feel free to elaborate..........
He is THE ONLY PLAYER trying to do something , THE ONLY PLAYER who seems to care , THE ONLY PLAYER who tried to think about the pass he was going to make ( sure it never always came off , but it was rarely aimless or without fault.
I could write for hours about Gilbert , but what's the point........
Sturrock said two would be dropped as they were out of form , yet he wasn't one of them - WHY ????
When I complained 'again' about Gilbert tonight , someone pointed out that Prosser was no better.
Ok , but Prosser gets 2 or 3 games then 'out' if he doesn't play like Roberto Carlos.
Gilbert gets 20-30........ Give Prosser a decent run at least before making judgement.
Gilbert is clueless

Failed to clear his lines properly, rebounded to Harrad who scored. Other than that, he was good although he seemed to slice a lot of clearances out of play. As I've said elsewhere, Gilbert was not a problem on Friday. Both goals came from our right and Rotherham's right winger barely had a kick. I think people are going to have to realise that the promotion bid is not collapsing solely because Peter Gilbert is in the team. There are problems elsewhere too. It's actually annoying me that I find myself defending him because I'm not his biggest fan either, but Friday night I actually thought the problem was our midfield. Way too static and why Grant played is beyond me.

Back