• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

manor15

Super Moderator⭐⭐
Staff member
Well, that was a reality check. Appalling team selection from Brown, no idea at all how he can justify dropping Worrall again, he stood out on Tuesday and after coming on last week.

Way too narrow and they took advantage. They showed the difference and simply took the chances they had. We never really threatened first half and even after Mooney went off for Payne. At first that just made us more narrow and we struggled even more as there was no-one at all to stretch the play, apart from completely relying on Coker.

Second half was unfortunate that they scored early on as it put the game to bed, but it was an improvement, even if we only mustered a few chances. Payne got better and better as the game went on but was one of few to impress at all.

Bentley 7 Kept us in the game at times, nothing he could do about either goal, may be a tad disappointed with his distribution
White 7 Good battle with their winger and did offer something going forwards
Bolger 6 His off the line clearance was the only positive, too eager to hoof or head the ball anywhere and positioning was poor
Barrett 7 Leader at the back and dangerous at set pieces
Coker 6.5 Formation restricted his threat going forwards and under pressure at the back
Leonard 6 Ineffective, seemed to play the holding role but often went missing
Deegan 6 Awful choice by Brown, he tried hard but wasn't playing in the holding role and a much more creative all round player (eg Timlin) was needed as opposed to Deegan, particularly after Payne came on
Wordsworth 6.5 Poor defensively and guilty of not necessarily tracking back enough, some great passes and moves but at other times they didn't come off for him
Weston 7.5 Best player on the pitch for the first 15 minutes, they struggled with his pace but his usual inconsistencies crept back into his game later on
Pigott 7 If his first touch was better he could have had 1 or 2 great chances but that let him down, but he put himself about and is getting in good positions
Mooney 6.5 In the right positions but didn't work as hard as Pig and didn't really produce much

Subs
Payne 7.5 Anonymous in a deeper role until half time, massively improved after, just needed someone to pass to who could take a shot, most creative player by far
Worrall 7 Crying out for him and he put some good deliveries into the box
Hurst 6 Poor decision making to shoot when he should have crossed late on, didn't offer anything new

Ref 5 Inconsistent and some ludicrous decisions

Brown has to take the blame, awful tactical choices cost us today. Don't try to outsmart the opposition, just play to our strengths.

Last edited:
There's a decent striker at Cambridge.
Got another two today .......

Deegan is crap and so is piggot, Timlin should start without question, and if you've signed david mooney at least back him as your number 9!! Disgrace

Team selection awful in both formation and personnel. Weston looked good, but can't kick it, Deegan had rings run around him. Swap those two for timlin and worrall maybe? Come on brown, wake up

Wrong starting line up and wrong tactics. Only Weston, Payne and Worrall come out of it with any credit. Worrall and Timlin need to start games

Without wishing to overreact , several of our players looked out of their depth.
Need to learn very quickly.
Having said that , apart from the time wasting ( which all teams do ) , Walsall looked a decent team.

One tweet to summarise the game:

I am a big brown fan but what kind of message does it send out when individuals play well and then get dropped.

Worrall was class in tandem with coker on Tuesday and he decides to change.

The club moved seemingly heaven and earth to sign and convince timlin to stay and then brown decides to leave our best midfielder out of the team or on the bench. It's poor management.

I know deegan has his fans and I am one of them when your trying to defend a lead but he offers nothing in the system we played today and offers little going forward in general.

I am also aware that the pig can do no wrong but he was appalling today and offered zero and was completely dominated by there defence and highlighted how much we need a pacy experienced front man.

Why switch from a 442 to 433 against a team that use the wings really well.

I am also a massive Barrett fan but thought prosser plays better alongside bolger and should have started.

All in all a depressing afternoon were walsall hardly broke sweat for a win and that's what ****es me off the most.

We struggled with goals last season,so that should have been the number 1 priority to remedy.Brown does seem to struggle to put out the right formation at times.Just got to hope this is a repeat of our last promotion from this division when we were bottom after 6 games.Fortunately we had Freddy on fire then this time we're struggling in that department

The problem with SUFC is Brown take his ego out of the club and we might have sensible formations and pick the right players!!

Hes had his luck at Wembley otherwise he would of been out of a job!!!!!

Walsall weren't great, were they? That's the worrying thing. But they looked much better than us.

Like most, the team selection had me scratching my head. How can you have Deegan starting a home game ahead of Payne, Atko or Timlin? How can you start a home game without Worrall on the wing. How can you take off your new #9 after 30 mins. Again, like last season, I don't think Phil knows what his best eleven should be. Piggot is not League One standard, yet.

So, hopefully, lessons learned and mistakes won't be replicated. Though you don't really fancy our chances with Donny, Swindon and Coventry next on the list......

The Saddlers will not collect an easier three points,we were outclassed at times and proves this division will be one hard slog.

Strange choices today from Phil,when I realised Noel was injured we all sighed.

Deeg is not a league 1 footballer as he chased shadows today,well out of his depth sad to say.

My first visit this season so wasn't sure what to expect............whatever I thought I was going to see, I didn't. The side looked totally out of salts and Deegan and Weston for me should not have kept out Worrell and Tims, but there again I'm not the manager and don't pick the team. Manor15 hit it on the head with Weston, good for the first 15 then Straker deluxe for me. This was indeed a big wake up call for the team, and they will undoubtedly play better, hopefully when I'm watching. I'll leave others to award marks as truthfully I haven't seen enough of the team to arrive at a comparison of standards.

With Hunt injured and Mooney not quite the business yet, we are going to need another front man pdq without an injury history please Phil. Early days yet so lets not get too down hearted yet. We don't become a bad side overnight.

Bentley 7- Couldn't do anything about the goals.

White 7- Best defender by far.
Bolger 6- Poor distribution and a couple of defensive lapses.
Barrett 6- Fairly solid but almost gifted them a goal.
Coker 6- Not at his usual standard.

Leonard 6- Average, poor going forward.
Deegan 5.5- Can the obsession with Deegan please stop, overated and nowhere near as good as Timlin.
Wordsworth 5.5- Dissappointing apart from the goal (couldn't tell whether offside or not)
Weston 7- Brilliant start to the game but did fizzle out a bit.

Pigott 6- Did OK, but not as good as on Tuesday.
Mooney 5- He was poor but slightly harsh bringing him off (Unless i missed an injury)

Payne 6.5- Made a decent impact but never looked like scoring.
Worrall 7- Our best winger and showed that, absolutely no idea what he was doing on the bench.
Hurst 6- Was OK when he came on.

Absolutely awful performance, some serious changes needed on Wednesday both tactically and personnel wise.

Back