• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0-2 Wycombe Wanderers

theory, the guys we have now SHOULD be running rings round opposing midfields at this level, yet since the start of the season, even before we started getting hit by injury, they haven't been at the races, and I have no idea why!

I thought Dieng looked great early in the season, and I liked Mantom from the outset, but he wasn't ever going to be a like for like replacement for Timlin. I have always been a fan of Macca's, but he has lost that attacking edge he used to have. Kightly, sad to say, has had his day - he is a shadow of the player he used to be.

Wasn't knocking either Dieng or Mantom as individual players, but between these two, Macca and Kightly, as the four most experienced and fit midfielders, they should be performing a whole lot better than they have done all season. The balance is wrong, and it isn't working. So we need to change things.

I see the weather was true to my forecast earlier in the pre-match thread. The only slight tweak I would now make to that was that I froze my nuts off from about half time onwards. For a very sunny day it was bloody cold in the West. I must be getting old I suppose.

Not sure its going to be that easy to have a 'complete clear out' as many of those posting before, want. However as bleak as things were last night, in the cold light of day all is not lost. Beat Walsall (yes I know that doesn't look likely after yesterday, but why can't we do to them what Wycombe did to us?) and suddenly the picture changes. I'm sure we will see a reaction from Bond as he'll have no choice but to go more positive. If fit I hope Demi will play out wide with Elvis at RB and with Dru and maybe Hutchinson we'll have more energy and give it a go. We may be down.....but we are not out (yet).

I see the weather was true to my forecast earlier in the pre-match thread. The only slight tweak I would now make to that was that I froze my nuts off from about half time onwards. For a very sunny day it was bloody cold in the West. I must be getting old I suppose.

From boiling in front of the East stand with the Junior Blues, I couldn't believe the change in temperature in the West - my fingers had gone numb by the end!

Did you put Mantom in that list as a spot the odd one out or some kind of red herring?? I'm confused.
Yes, I take your point but I think there is a decent player somewhere in Mantom. Recent form, that is most of this season, makes his inclusion questionable I agree, but I think he could prove to be the experienced head in the midfield 4 I would play. Could I wish for Timlin or Wordsworth instead? Yes.

I'm pretty sure that the contracts will have a clause for a wage reduction when we are relegated....you won't see a number of them for dust if so.
What a blo**y mess and to make it worse you could see this coming months ago.

Trouble is where will they go - with a couple of exceptions, other League One clubs are unlikely to want them so we are probably stuck with most of them.

KEVIN Bond opted not to name Taylor Moore in Southend United’s squad for Saturday’s 2-0 defeat to Wycombe Wanderers.

More...

My MOM yesterday was the brave Father on the mic (despite the poor speakers/tannoy) telling the crowd how his young daughter Katie was cruelly diagonosed with terminal illness and what a great job Little Havens Hospice did (and still do) providing her with quality and compassionate end of life care. He showed more guts than anyone in a Blue shirt.

Get along if you can on 20th May.

Last edited:
Yes, I take your point but I think there is a decent player somewhere in Mantom. Recent form, that is most of this season, makes his inclusion questionable I agree, but I think he could prove to be the experienced head in the midfield 4 I would play. Could I wish for Timlin or Wordsworth instead? Yes.

When Walsall reached the play offs in 2015/16 Sam Mantom was their second top scorer with 8 goals from 33+4 games. Demetriou was at right back in the same team. That’s just three seasons ago.

I’m sure he is a lot more attack minded than he has been allowed to be this season.

I'm pretty sure that the contracts will have a clause for a wage reduction when we are relegated....you won't see a number of them for dust if so.
What a blo**y mess and to make it worse you could see this coming months ago.
The same should apply regarding season ticket prices... but I doubt it!!

There are a lot of posts about the poor poor midfield, mine included, and for balance I need to add that I do see some good things from them, some of the time, but certainly not regularly enough, and not in a combination with the others as mentioned.
Kites is not the player he was and thanks but better luck elsewhere.
Macca is not match fit, might be good again if he trains well and gets fit.
Mantom can be a central holding midfielder but not a wide player nor in a combination with Dieng, Hyem, or Kiernon.
Similar for Dieng but he also needs to learn to concentrate and that a full match is nearer 100 minutes not just an hour.
Fitness, mental strength, passion, belief, awareness, drive and bottle required immediately for all then maybe 1, or 2 have a future at The Hall, maybe.

My MOM yesterday was the brave Father on the mic (despite the poor speakers/tannoy) telling the crowd how his young daughter was cruelly diagonosed with terminal illness and what a great job Little Havens Hospice did (and still do) providing her with quality and compassionate end of life care. He showed more guts than anyone in a Blue shirt.

We couldn't hear this at all, it was just a long ramble with the odd word you could pick out - a real shame.

We couldn't hear this at all, it was just a long ramble with the odd word you could pick out - a real shame.

That's a shame though I've been accused of worse than rambling! A mate of mine said he heard it loud and clear in the West Bank.

My MOM yesterday was the brave Father on the mic (despite the poor speakers/tannoy) telling the crowd how his young daughter was cruelly diagonosed with terminal illness and what a great job Little Havens Hospice did (and still do) providing her with quality and compassionate end of life care. He showed more guts than anyone in a Blue shirt.

Thank you, that's nice to hear. Just for the record I was asked by Havens to mention the Barclays match at Roots Hall on May 16th which like Chris's match on the 20th is also in aid of Havens. Both will be great nights I'm sure.

Back