• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0-2 Wycombe Wanderers

So left a while before posting. If I had posted when I got back from the game Sat it would have been a much longer post and not in a good way. Devastating..

Bond is in a very tough situation trying to turn around a collapse in confidence and performance. We can ask why start with players who aren't 100% fit but when those on the bench in many cases aren't fit either it isn't easy.

Humprys was a correct decision- he was up for it, effort was excellent and he was one of the better players on the pitch- when he went off and Acquah came on this was not an improvement.

Knightly's selection is understandable- when the options you have includes so little quality then the is a strong temptation to go with it especially a more experienced player. He wasn't the worst player on the pitch and its not easy to shine when all around you aren't. To get the best out of Kightly you want to be getting him good procession and space in the final third- that probably happened zero times.

Demi over Elvis- worth the gamble and Elvis came on and was probably MOM so either way

Kiernan did well against Fleetwood, as good (or bad ) as most sat- he is not a CM - he is playing there for the team and I would be sure he would prefer to be at CB.

But the midfield incl wide players were the biggest single problem- zero creativity and zero drive and energy (oh to have Dru and Tims in there again..). For me it has to be Dru & Mantom.

Definitely on-side.

The through ball is at 1:34. The out of position Kiernan getting turned in midfield - he should have passed the man off to Elvis and held his ground - at 1:32

White may actually be our deepest defender and doesn't track the run or step up. A half-hearted effort to chase doesn't then prevent the cross.

Heads then drop and because Bond picked 3 unfit players to start in Demetriou, Kightly and Humprhys we have no subs left to freshen things up.
Like the thoroughness of your report.
'Half hearted' was exactly what I thought. You would be bursting a lung to stay in the game, but the fight's been taken out of this lot.
Am checking the journeys to FGR, Newport, Macclesfield (maybe) and MK Dons: the only League Two grounds I've not yet done.
Anybody from Cornwall planning the same trips? Looking for equally deluded comrades in blue.

For season upon season, decade upon decade I’ve never ever ever considered not renewing my season ticket but today.. I feel like I’ve fallen out of love. I’ve seen worse teams but always saw a light at the end of the tunnel. With this shower of **** I think we would finish bottom of League Two. Plenty of talent but zero belief and zero application.
I don’t think I can do this next season. Unless there is a mass clear out.
I for l have had enough with the **** being dished up and a chairman and lies

Feared the worst when I saw the team sheet. If you're bang out of form come to roots hall for your free three points. Fitness definitely an issue. Full staff shake up needed in summer, coaches players backroom staff. Would keep Cox and Hopper the rest can go.
What about Humphrys?

Due to a late change in plans I found d myself in the East Reds and many thought their first goal was off-side. It did look very tight but not helped by Lennon? who ran back rather than stepping up a yard and making sure the incompetent lino on that side made a decision.
In the first half he looked at the ref for even the most basic throw in decisions. fans and players alike should have been on alert, I don't think our defenders gave a proper shout or arm up.

Maybe the incompetent lino got this one right.

ww.jpg

Maybe the incompetent lino got this one right.

View attachment 7881

I didn't call it off-side but the lino was still incompetent. Frightened of his own shadow and waited for the ref every time.

That picture is a good example of why we have failed against 3 relegation strugglers at home.

Lennon and White should be where Dieng is and he should have been challenging their 22
Elvis had cleared the ball about 8 seconds before and they were back peddling to win the header. We have hardly moved up.....Freddy scored in 7 seconds,

John White has never had a good game against Akinfenwa and the only recent "success" defenders against him for us have been Adam B or Mark Phillips, everyone else seems to bottle it.

...everyone else seems to bottle it.

Tackling is one of the reasons we're struggling at the moment, there's no-one can regularly put a decisive tackle in, it's certainly not an aspect of Rob Kiernan's game, which is something you do need in the role he's currently playing.

Definitely on-side.

The through ball is at 1:34. The out of position Kiernan getting turned in midfield - he should have passed the man off to Elvis and held his ground - at 1:32

White may actually be our deepest defender and doesn't track the run or step up. A half-hearted effort to chase doesn't then prevent the cross.

Heads then drop and because Bond picked 3 unfit players to start in Demetriou, Kightly and Humprhys we have no subs left to freshen things up.

Not sure I agree on the comment In kiernan. If he simply holds his ground then they would have a 2 on one vs Elvis - and we would have been moaning at kiernan giving them the space. Kiernans decision making was correct, the execution was poor

John White has never had a good game against Akinfenwa and the only recent "success" defenders against him for us have been Adam B or Mark Phillips, everyone else seems to bottle it.
If I recall correctly Phillips was brilliant against him

Agreed, Phillips is the only Southend player I've ever seen contain Akinfenwa. Too many get dragged in to a battle of trying to beat him in the air. Let him win the header or bring it in to his body because he's going to do that anyway. Just don't let him turn because that's what he can't do because he's built like a truck

I'd be interested to see what his contract situation is like at Wycombe as despite his age I would still have him here in a heartbeat next season (providing it's League Two)

Why are we starting with Lennon and White; Kiernan and Moore should be our centre backs?

As for the midfield, it was far too defensive; may be a useful tactic away, but not at home!!

Surely Dru, Klass and Hutchinson can't do worse than the lot that played.

And stop playing players out of position. When are we going to get a manager who doesn't do this :Angry:
Leonard Right Back to Centre Midfield?

Not read all the posts on here so may have been mentioned but apparently Bond had the players in training early on Sunday morning. Too right.

CHARLIE Kelman joined Southend United’s fans in the Roots Hall stands to watch the Shrimpers’ 2-0 defeat to Wycombe Wanderers on Saturday.

More...

Not sure I agree on the comment In kiernan. If he simply holds his ground then they would have a 2 on one vs Elvis - and we would have been moaning at kiernan giving them the space. Kiernans decision making was correct, the execution was poor

Sorry, don't think I expressed that very well. Kiernan needs to hold the inside. If the player goes by him on the outside then he's got Elvis to stop him getting to the byline to cross, whilst Kiernan stops him/the other guy coming back infield. As long as Kiernan doesn't commit it's two on two.

Kiernan however lunges insteads of tracks him and gets taken out of the game.

I think the main thing it highlights though is how we miss Dru who is our only player who'd beat a man like that and then pick the pass.

Agreed, Phillips is the only Southend player I've ever seen contain Akinfenwa. Too many get dragged in to a battle of trying to beat him in the air. Let him win the header or bring it in to his body because he's going to do that anyway. Just don't let him turn because that's what he can't do because he's built like a truck

I'd be interested to see what his contract situation is like at Wycombe as despite his age I would still have him here in a heartbeat next season (providing it's League Two)

I'm not sure you want Akinfenwa if you intend to be an automatic promotion challenger. In an automatic promotion challenge you want to be consistent. He changes the way you play but is he able to play all the games - because if not how are you going to replace him every fourth match as he is unique? Resting him is going to be a big disruption and we've seen this season how disruptive not being able to play a consistent line-up is.

For that reason he may be a better fit in a squad trying to stay up, when you save him for winnable matches.

You keep blaming the wrong man for that goal.

The only person who tried to get near Acquah was the much over criticised Mantom. he done enough to make their left back head it out blind

It was Dieng who should be challenging for the next lose ball and the defence should be much higher.

Kiernan who should be covering behind Dieng was at least trying to apply some pressure as per the mangers instructions.

All through the first half it was the same scenario.....One Southend forward challenging with the other forward over the far side and no mid-field support.

I'm not sure you want Akinfenwa if you intend to be an automatic promotion challenger. In an automatic promotion challenge you want to be consistent. He changes the way you play but is he able to play all the games - because if not how are you going to replace him every fourth match as he is unique? Resting him is going to be a big disruption and we've seen this season how disruptive not being able to play a consistent line-up is.

For that reason he may be a better fit in a squad trying to stay up, when you save him for winnable matches.

Promotion is the last thing on my mind if we go down to be honest. With the players we still have under contract I'm very alarmed we could actually go again!

Sorry, don't think I expressed that very well. Kiernan needs to hold the inside. If the player goes by him on the outside then he's got Elvis to stop him getting to the byline to cross, whilst Kiernan stops him/the other guy coming back infield. As long as Kiernan doesn't commit it's two on two.

I think the main thing it highlights though is how we miss Dru who is our only player who'd beat a man like that and then pick the pass.

Plays three games in every four? That's around 35 games a season. Wouldn't that win the highest number of appearances for us this season? Sign him up!!!!!!

Plays three games in every four? That's around 35 games a season. Wouldn't that win the highest number of appearances for us this season? Sign him up!!!!!!

Ha!

The 3 in 4 turns out to be optimistic as he's played more like every other game this year. We have 7 players who have made more league starts than him this season.

Back