• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0-2 Wycombe Wanderers

As I said in a Tweet last evening, I thought the post match comments by Mr Bond were very interesting in as much as he was referring to players missing training and their fragile nature. For a year or so now I have thought that there is a very comfortable feeling about being a player at our club. Almost as though it is a great place to be, among agreeable mates, and the results really don't matter that much because the clubbable feeling makes them largely irrelevant.

I hope that my comments are wide of the mark but there is something very wrong at the heart of this team when, week after week, we see them beaten by teams around us in the relegation dogfight who turn up to play committed football who want it more than Blues.

I do not think the comments by some on here about double relegation are scaremongering. We have seen it in the past and the signs at present are not at all encouraging.

.....I thought Hart was superb and he’s a loanee. If we had eleven like him we might be ok. Need a proper keeper, not a boy or a poser. A brand new midfield....obviously keep Yearwood who can’t get a game. Kiernan looks decent and can only get better. Kightly is an embarrassment and should be on McDonald’s wages rather than relieving us of thousands every week. Coxy deserves better. This lot will struggle to muster enough energy to get another point and 8/13 is a steal to go down....should be 1/6 and Wycombe were by far the best team out there.

Almost spot on, the only quibble being the keeper.

Am away for the weekend so watched on iFollow. Wycombe were by far the most committed and deserved to win. Mantom looked better without the captaincy, but the midfield was absent. I remember a midfield in the mid 1980's that was pretty rubbish but this one takes the biscuit. Appalling.

So much has been said about the game on this thread already, I'm not going to repeat it. It's just too depressing. Instead I'm thinking about what can happen from now - not necessarily this season but maybe for next and the future. Let's remember; professional footballers cannot be rubbish at the game; there are too many selection processes to go through. However, they can play rubbish. It's just a question of getting the right blend.

Let's look at the squad -

Keepers

Oxley - This guy was our POTY last season. We know what he can do. We also know his failings, but any L1 or L2 team is going to get a keeper with flaws. We could get far, far worse. In any event, unless someone buys him, he's here for next season.

Bishop - Has been thrown in too early. But he is in the England set up and must have something about him. In 2 or 3 seasons time he could be similar to Bentley.

Smith - Injury has really hampered a very promising career for Ted. I have no idea whether he will be able to get back on track but I think his contract is up. What to do? We have invested so much into him it seems stupid to let him go. But he is behind the other 2 and we don't need 3 keepers like that. But an injury free Ted Smith would be perfectly adequate for our level of football. Whoever is in charge at the end of the season has a tricky decision in this area.

Defenders

White - one of our most committed and the longest serving player. Hasn't been used as a full back for some time and I think has probably reached the end of the road.

Coker - Contract expires before his recovery from injury and I doubt we will see him again. It all started to go downhill when he got injured as we had no replacement.

Demetriou - He has his faults but is an international player. Gave us a better balance yesterday before the injury and really has been missed. He'll be solid.

Kiernan - He is a quality defender. Get him in the middle at the back alongside a tall, dominant player and we will be fine.

Turner - Too old, contract up at the end of the season. Bye and thanks.

Lennon - Hasn't played enough really but looks decent. My concern is over the number of penalties he may give away as he doesn't seem to know when not to challenge in the box.

Kyprianou - Another long term injury. As much as I want our own to come through the ranks, I was never quite sure about Harry. Undecided.

Bwomono - Again, one who has come in too soon. Not sure he is either ready or fully up to League football. Another season or two should decide. Did well enough yesterday when he came on, mind.

Hendrie - Had forgotten he was still here. We won't be renewing his option, of that I'm sure. Massive disappointment.

Hart and Moore are loanees and will go back. I wouldn't keep either - a new broom sweeps clean and all that - but I doubt either would want to stay in a relegated team.

So for next year, we have Demi, Lennon, Kiernan, Kyp and Elvis as a base. We need a decent left back and cover, plus 2 tall centre backs.

Midfield

Where to start?

Kightly - Has there ever been a player who was once a favourite and who everyone wanted to see come back and perform screw it up so badly? He is here for another year, stealing a living.

McLaughlin - Another one who has the talent but not always the desire. We have him for another season as well.

Mantom - Take the captaincy off him, have him as a ball winner and he's ok. But I doubt he's happy here and he certainly plays like he's terrified.

Dieng - Typical sulking French footballer. Has obvious class that rarely gets used.

Hyam - Mantom in someone else's body, usually an injured one.

Please note - these are the problem players in our problem area. I'd be shot of them all except that they are all under contract for another year, so I doubt will be going anywhere.

As for the rest -

Yearwood - A bright hope if he can recover last season's form.

Klass - Not up to a starting place in my opinion but could be a decent squad member.

Barratt - So unlucky, was a real prospect. No idea if we will take out our option on him for another season. I'd like to, but somehow suspect we won't.

Batlokwa - Hasn't featured, I suspect will be allowed to leave.

Hutchinson - Not sure he is the answer. Not sure we will renew his option either.

Gard - Apparently a real prospect before his injury. See Barratt.

Bunn will go back as he's on loan. I suspect finances will dictate that. I don't expect the other kids to feature.

This area is a real problem for us because we are pretty much stuck with what we have unless we can sell a player or two. The midfield blend is all wrong.

Forwards -

Cox - we have already taken out the option for next year on him. This year's POTY by a distance.

Hopper - Will he come back well after his injury? Let's hope so because our season went down the pan when he got injured.

Humphrys - A decent striker that gives hope for the future.

Robinson - Yes, he's still our player for another season. Will Swindon buy him? If not, back he comes.

Ba - Who? Has sheepishly disappeared. No idea where he is, who he plays for and I doubt we will take up the option on him.

Kelman - Exploded onto the scene in a cameo that gave every home supporter a bit of hope. Must be given a chance.

Acquah - Has come in way too soon but was thrown in when Hump was injured because he was the only fit forward at the club over 5'8". Nowhere near league football standard in my opinion.

Wabo - If he hasn't shown enough to have a chance in this injury hit shower, there's no prospect for him really. But there's presumably no harm in taking up the option.

It's actually this area that I wouldn't make many changes too. These forwards are perfectly good enough for L1 and if Theo comes back, well, so be it.

This will leave us with Cox, Hopper, Humphrys, Kelman, Wabo and possibly Robinson.

All in all, if the midfield can be sorted, then things may not be too bad. However, I think next year we could be in for some real testing times.

Why are we starting with Lennon and White; Kiernan and Moore should be our centre backs?

As for the midfield, it was far too defensive; may be a useful tactic away, but not at home!!

Surely Dru, Klass and Hutchinson can't do worse than the lot that played.

And stop playing players out of position. When are we going to get a manager who doesn't do this :Angry:

I'm pretty sure that the contracts will have a clause for a wage reduction when we are relegated....you won't see a number of them for dust if so.
What a blo**y mess and to make it worse you could see this coming months ago.

I'm pretty sure that the contracts will have a clause for a wage reduction when we are relegated....you won't see a number of them for dust if so.
What a blo**y mess and to make it worse you could see this coming months ago.

And I remember people saying we weren’t in a relegation battle!

More than entitled to any opinion you may have but it does annoy me when people ignore actual facts....Hutchinson has already had his option taken up and had an extension to his contract taking him up to 2021 with another option on that! That tells me someone at the club has high hopes...

It’s also a bug bear of mine (I’ve made no secret of the fact I rate him) that the last three times he featured, for any decent length of time, we picked up 5 points including our last home win and last home clean sheet!!!

Simply cannot understand why he’s been ignored, or not played in his best position?

Along with Wabo a side that’s desperate for goals has ignored 40 of them from two players!! Add in Dru and Taylor Moore and those 4 players give us pace, energy, fitness, enthusiasm, creativity and goals! I’ll ignore a little inexperience for that and I’m willing to be patient to see it!

He hasn't ignored facts, just didn't realise or forgot about Hutchinson in an otherwise decent post.

We have others on here who love to play school marm so no need to join them grapevine otherwise you spoil your own decent post.

Last edited:
You know, for about the 3rd time this week I’ve deleted my own post....I just can’t be bothered with it anymore.

Am away for the weekend so watched on iFollow. Wycombe were by far the most committed and deserved to win. Mantom looked better without the captaincy, but the midfield was absent. I remember a midfield in the mid 1980's that was pretty rubbish but this one takes the biscuit. Appalling.

So much has been said about the game on this thread already, I'm not going to repeat it. It's just too depressing. Instead I'm thinking about what can happen from now - not necessarily this season but maybe for next and the future. Let's remember; professional footballers cannot be rubbish at the game; there are too many selection processes to go through. However, they can play rubbish. It's just a question of getting the right blend.

Keepers

Oxley - This guy was our POTY last season. We know what he can do. We also know his failings, but any L1 or L2 team is going to get a keeper with flaws. We could get far, far worse. In any event, unless someone buys him, he's here for next season.

Bishop - Has been thrown in too early. But he is in the England set up and must have something about him. In 2 or 3 seasons time he could be similar to Bentley.

Smith - Injury has really hampered a very promising career for Ted. I have no idea whether he will be able to get back on track but I think his contract is up. What to do? We have invested so much into him it seems stupid to let him go. But he is behind the other 2 and we don't need 3 keepers like that. But an injury free Ted Smith would be perfectly adequate for our level of football. Whoever is in charge at the end of the season has a tricky decision in this area.

Defenders

White - one of our most committed and the longest serving player. Hasn't been used as a full back for some time and I think has probably reached the end of the road.

Coker - Contract expires before his recovery from injury and I doubt we will see him again. It all started to go downhill when he got injured as we had no replacement.

Demetriou - He has his faults but is an international player. Gave us a better balance yesterday before the injury and really has been missed. He'll be solid.

Kiernan - He is a quality defender. Get him in the middle at the back alongside a tall, dominant player and we will be fine.

Lennon - Hasn't played enough really but looks decent. My concern is over the number of penalties he may give away as he doesn't seem to know when not to challenge in the box.

Kyprianou - Another long term injury. As much as I want our own to come through the ranks, I was never quite sure about Harry. Undecided.

Bwomono - Again, one who has come in too soon. Not sure he is either ready or fully up to League football. Another season or two should decide. Did well enough yesterday when he came on, mind.

Hendrie - Had forgotten he was still here. We won't be renewing his option, of that I'm sure. Massive disappointment.

Hart and Moore are loanees and will go back. I wouldn't keep either - a new broom sweeps clean and all that - but I doubt either would want to stay in a relegated team.

So for next year, we have Demi, Lennon, Kiernan, Kyp and Elvis as a base. We need a decent left back and cover, plus 2 tall centre backs.

Midfield

Where to start?

Kightly - Has there ever been a player who was once a favourite and who everyone wanted to see come back and perform screw it up so badly? He is here for another year, stealing a living.

McLaughlin - Another one who has the talent but not always the desire. We have him for another season as well.

Mantom - Take the captaincy off him, have him as a ball winner and he's ok. But I doubt he's happy here and he certainly plays like he's terrified.

Dieng - Typical sulking French footballer. Has obvious class that rarely gets used.

Please note - these are the problem players in our problem area. I'd be shot of them all except that they are all under contract for another year, so I doubt will be going anywhere.

As for the rest -

Klass - Not up to a starting place in my opinion but could be a decent squad member.

Barratt - So unlucky, was a real prospect. No idea if we will take out our option on him for another season. I'd like to, but somehow suspect we won't.

Hutchinson - Not sure he is the answer. Not sure we will renew his option either.

Bunn will go back as he's on loan. I suspect finances will dictate that. I don't expect the other kids to feature.

This area is a real problem for us because we are pretty much stuck with what we have unless we can sell a player or two. The midfield blend is all wrong.

Forwards -

Cox - we have already taken out the option for next year on him. This year's POTY by a distance.

Hopper - Will he come back well after his injury? Let's hope so because our season went down the pan when he got injured.

Robinson - Yes, he's still our player for another season. Will Swindon buy him? If not, back he comes.

Ba - Who? Has sheepishly disappeared. No idea where he is, who he plays for and I doubt we will take up the option on him.

Kelman - Exploded onto the scene in a cameo that gave every home supporter a bit of hope. Must be given a chance.

Acquah - Has come in way too soon but was thrown in when Hump was injured because he was the only fit forward at the club over 5'8". Nowhere near league football standard in my opinion.

Wabo - If he hasn't shown enough to have a chance in this injury hit shower, there's no prospect for him really. But there's presumably no harm in taking up the option.

It's actually this area that I wouldn't make many changes too. These forwards are perfectly good enough for L1 and if Theo comes back, well, so be it.

This will leave us with Cox, Hopper, Humphrys, Kelman, Wabo and possibly Robinson.

All in all, if the midfield can be sorted, then things may not be too bad. However, I think next year we could be in for some real testing times.

I would get rid of the entire squad as per 2010....other than the forwards Cox, Hopper, Humphreys....if they want to stay.

We need to re build big time....no point carrying a load of dross into League 2...it’s a tough league and we need players with the right attitude and mindset

Just hope contracts have the correct clauses in to force the underperforming injury prone dross to go....my fear is some will stay to collect their fat pay packets.

It is with regret that I believe this is the worst team I can remember. We have been poor before but we battled. Cox, Humpreys aside (and john White to an extent) those that started were not up to it.
We are all ready to criticise the manager and give our team selection as the answer. The problem is with this team I cannot !
The biggest issue I have is Kightly. An ex prem player my arse !

Out of interest, what happened to that guy from Walsall that we almost signed on January transfer window day? Any chance he will come back to haunt us on Friday?

Out of interest, what happened to that guy from Walsall that we almost signed on January transfer window day? Any chance he will come back to haunt us on Friday?

Morgan Ferrier, wasn’t even in the squad for their game yesterday.

I would get rid of the entire squad as per 2010....other than the forwards Cox, Hopper, Humphreys....if they want to stay.

We need to re build big time....no point carrying a load of dross into League 2...it’s a tough league and we need players with the right attitude and mindset

Just hope contracts have the correct clauses in to force the underperforming injury prone dross to go....my fear is some will stay to collect their fat pay packets.

This. Incredibly concerned for the future of this club.

Please God have these players on relegation deductions in their contracts. We can barely survive with the 5th highest budget in league 1 whilst we are actually in league 1!

E.g. Kightly need to be carted out next year. He is our highest paid player and up there amongst the worst performing. He’s past it. But he is contracted for another year... These are the contracts which are going to kill us and unfortunately I can’t see him accepting a mutual consent termination without being paid off (who honestly would?) And no one in their right mind will take him on at current wages.

Other players evidently being overpaid judging by 5th highest budget comments.

Very similar situation to Bury last year going for it budget wise then gettin relegated and, whilst in a reasonable position on league 2, haven’t paid players for several months.

Clubs f****d

Keepers

Defenders

Midfield

Where to start?

As for the rest -

Forwards -

Well, I can't disagree with any of that, particularly where the midfield is concerned!! I was saying that back in August when it was clear we had no replacement for Timlin or Wordsworth.

Despite our injury list, which has been extensive, and has led to burnout for some, contributing to overall poor fitness levels, the midfield has not really been affected - yet has been our poorest performing midfield for a very long time. The rot began about 3 seasons ago, culminating with the loss of Leonard, Wordsworth and Timlin. In theory, the guys we have now SHOULD be running rings round opposing midfields at this level, yet since the start of the season, even before we started getting hit by injury, they haven't been at the races, and I have no idea why!

Yesterday's game proved this yet again, and worse still, they were all given ridiculously long contracts, so looks like we are stuck with them all. As individual players, there is talent there, but we don't have the balance of creativity and grit anywhere, which means we are using out of position defenders to supplement - which isn't good at all.

Time for some serious loss-cutting to happen - it must be more cost effective to terminate contracts than risk a drop out of the football league next season! This was possibly something Ron wouldn't have considered last year, but when Anton was let go, really Kightly, and possibly Macca should have gone as well to free up some space on the wage bill and would have allowed us to keep Timlin and bring someone else in. I got the impression that Chris Powell wasn't able to make as many changes in midfield as he wanted to because of contracts and wage constraints, so was having to settle for what he had. Dru is the exception, but as a youngster who impressed initially, then very quickly because the first name on the team sheet before his injury and subsequent loss of form, but people forget he is still a young lad, and under normal circumstances would be nurtured and taken under the wing of an experienced and well rounded midfield. Not anyone's fault in particular, but Chris Powell and now Kevin Bond seem to be trying to protect him a bit by leaving him on the bench, even though he has the most obvious ability. Same for some of the other youngsters - Kelman, Hutchinson etc. All have bright futures, but I am sure that non of the coaching staff at the club would want our inexperienced and highly talented young stars of the future to be tarnished with the same brush as Kightly, Macca, Dieng and Mantom - our current experienced pickable midfield who are just not interested enough or good enough!

I think KB would have had a bit of a shock yesterday, particularly after the Fleetwood game! He may be thanking his lucky stars that he is only here till the end of the season after that s**t shower yesterday!

I think there is no doubt now that we are going down. You can't lose to teams like Wycombe and have a hope of beating Walsall, and Sunderland! We now need a minimum of 6 points from 12...

We were doing ok yesterday until half time, even losing JD for Elvis wasn't that much of an issue, as young Elvis brought a different energy and some intelligence into the right hand side, and he looked ok for the most part. Sam Hart was MOM yesterday, thought he had a terrific game, but he can't defend, run the midfield and supply decent crosses and win the game on his own. Kienan had another decent game, Coxy ran and ran, but i think the battery may need changing soon - he looked knackered and defeated at the end, not his best game, but still 100x better than most! I don't think Humphreys was comfortable in his super-hero mask, he kept trying to adjust it, and it did seem to affect his peripheral vision - did okay while he was on the pitch, and if I am honest, while he looked good he probably still shouldn't be playing yet!

Overall, I just want to get this season done now, and write it off as a bad job. We need a serious rethink and a rebuild of the squad now, then we need to pick up our bootstraps before we go again in league 2. Depressing, but that's how it is.

Last edited:
You know, for about the 3rd time this week I’ve deleted my own post....I just can’t be bothered with it anymore.

I'm assuming the one you deleted was the one rigsby quoted re Hutchinson.

If so, I haven't ignored the facts, I wasn't actually aware we had taken up the option on him. Ok, good if we have, as you say someone at the club who sees him far more often than I do sees some potential there for the future.

Back