• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

manor15

Super Moderator⭐⭐
Staff member
What a load of ****. How Brown couldn't see the need for changes I don't know, and the system we started with didn't work at all, while the performances of the players were poor Brown will have to shoulder a lot of the blame as well. I was fortunate enough not to be at the Millwall game but that's the first time I've seen Barrett struggle as much, but that's probably just as much down to playing so many games without a rest.

The timing of the goals conceded was what killed us, just before half time changed a lot and then two rapidly after changing formation and before there was a chance for it to make a difference. Very, very poor and never looked like improving.

Bentley 5.5 At fault for the third, possibly could have done better at his near post for the first but hard to tell from my view.
White 6 Struggled when part of a back three and looked off the pace first half.
Thompson 7 The only one to come out of it with any credit, worked hard and won almost every tackle and header.
Barrett 5 Lacked the pace and almost became a liability at times because of it.
Coker 6 Still doesn't look fully fit and seemed hesitant compared to normal.
Rea 5.5 Sloppy passing and in possession, didn't offer the protection the back four needed.
Atkinson 5 Didn't really attack and didn't really defend, Worrall's introduction was an improvement
Leonard 6 Worked hard but was almost doing the work that Rea and Atkinson should have been doing at times.
Payne 6.5 Best attacking threat but was up against some big lumps who just blocked him off or kicked lumps out of him, dangerous with the ball at his feet.
Hunt 6 Won his headers but barely ever got the ball to his feet to do anything with it.
Mooney 5.5 Similar to Hunt, just spent half of his game offside as well.

Subs
Worrall 6.5 Added width and pace which was much needed but would have hoped to get more of the ball on the break.
Deegan 6 Held things up in the middle, a stupid yellow and didn't make much difference going forwards, would rather have had Timlin in the situation so hopefully he'll be back soon
Pigott 5.5 Didn't really show anything to suggest he'll be missed, but struggled with having the ball hoofed towards him as usual.

Several changes needed for next week, and the sooner Timlin is back the better for me. Bolger/Prosser for Barrett and McLoughlin/Worrall to start in midfield please.

Last edited:
An improvement on Millwall though! Fortunately there's enough quality in our squad to make those changes - Bolger and Prosser certainly, and I don't think Bentley sitting out a couple of games would do him any harm either - he seems a confident chap so I'm sure his ego could cope.

Bigger picture, we're doing massively well all things considered. I wonder how long before someone wants a change of manager?

Snogging Barrett at the Millwall game? No wonder we were loose at the back!

Terrible! An absolutely shocking display by all.

Snogging Barrett at the Millwall game? No wonder we were loose at the back!
Adds a whole different dimension to that sentence! Thanks autocorrect.

I had to swerve this one, probably a wise move in the circumstances. I couldn't even listen to it on the radio so although the result was grim at least I didn't suffer the 90 min radio agony. Two superficial things spring to mind, Brown's CV may not be quite so inviting to Bolton now and Daniel's value may have dropped a few quid, we shall see. Bring on the rest of the match reports.

Defence needs a complete change. Pray Timms can get back very soon. Admit Mooney is lifeless and invest in a decent euthanasia clinic for his football ability. Hope the people we get in during the transfer window will deliver. Then we might just stay up.

I was worried when I heard Brown give his team on BBC Essex. He was rambling on about how Ferguson tinkers with his team so Brown seemed to be trying to set up to counter that. I'd much rather he just sent out our strongest team set up to play to our strengths. That's two bad days at the office in quick succession so hopefully we can.pick up again quickly. Whilst I don't want to see performances & results like that, for me at least it may temper talk of promotion. I've always thought we need at least a season in L1 & try & build towards a further promotion. We're going very well but I believe we've slightly over achieved so far this season. Had hoped the Pig might bang in 4 second half crackers as a farewell.........

Match report: Southend United 0, Doncaster Rovers 3

SOUTHEND United started 2016 with a depressing 3-0 defeat against Doncaster Rovers at Roots Hall this afternoon.

More...

I was worried when I heard Brown give his team on BBC Essex. He was rambling on about how Ferguson tinkers with his team so Brown seemed to be trying to set up to counter that. I'd much rather he just sent out our strongest team set up to play to our strengths. That's two bad days at the office in quick succession so hopefully we can.pick up again quickly. Whilst I don't want to see performances & results like that, for me at least it may temper talk of promotion. I've always thought we need at least a season in L1 & try & build towards a further promotion. We're going very well but I believe we've slightly over achieved so far this season. Had hoped the Pig might bang in 4 second half crackers as a farewell.........

That's known as a bad week:winking:

Barret thomson are not good enough simple as that and Bentley has been poor for a while now

Well, there we go.......... fifteen more points needed to secure our place in L1 next season.

Walsall 0 Rochdale 3 was a stunning result, as was Chesterfield's 7-up...

Poor team set up again by Brown,Rea in front of the back four seemed to unsettle ,also we defended deep and we were on the back foot the whole of the first half.Instead of the team coming out with aggression and wanting to take the game to Doncaster after the Millwall disaster we again looked second best .Typical that the good gates are rewarded with the worst displays of the season.

Brown has said how well Thompson played. He did get on a few blocks and decent clearances, but was at fault for the first, and flicked on 2 minutes later to nearly set up a second. I'll forgive him the penalty as I thought he got something on the ball and it was harsh. I'm not saying he was to blame for this, but he shouldn't be singled out for praise.

Brown has to change the defence after shipping 7 goals in 2 games. Barrett is showing his age and can't be expected to play numerous games in a short space of time. Prosper or Bolger if fit back in for me. And it might give Bentley a kick up the backside if he was dropped for a few games and bring Ted in

On BBC Essex afterwards, Adrian Clarke said, "a couple of bad results don't make a bad team".
I couldn't agree more. Today's showing was proof positive of POOR MANAGEMENT, POOR TACTICS, POOR COACHING and POOR CAPTAINCY. Seems to me our biggest problems are located at the top end of the crumbling structure.

I just listened to PB on the radio, he doesn't sound happy at all. He stated that changes need to be made and he'll bring in at least 3 more faces...

I reckon we're looking at a big shake up and a lot of players going out......

Back