• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0-4 Harrogate town

I wasn’t aware that’s how the ruling works, it makes sense though as to why Michael seems to have been frozen out though at the moment. Is it a numbers game though? If it is I don’t see how giving Gard/Phillips a squad place and number over Klass makes any sense.

Gard and Phillips played last season in the first team. Therefore registered. Michael Klass didn’t make a first team appearance last season so he isn’t currently registered to us as his last club was out on loan

We play him now = we have to register him and he takes a spot in the squad we can’t really afford to give him right now

One crumb of comfort is that we play Carlisle next Saturday. Their start to the season has been just as bad as ours......

Although Goodship and Ralph were not necessarily the worst performers yesterday they are very limited in their ability. Both played just a few league games for Yeovil before being released and dropping to lower levels. They do nothing to suggest that they would show up well even in this division. What a weak and lightweight squad we have at the moment, very worrying.

Evening All,

On a day which was supposed to be enjoyed & live up to an expectation of new hope and promise, went rather sour very quickly. However I must say first off im glad to be bringing back the "vlogs" which made my channel where it is today & hope to entertain you lot with my sometimes questionable and surprising correct content, & im glad to see that we can still actually watch our team week in and out play the beautiful game whether its a positive result or not. Today I did a live reaction video to the game and how it all played out from the 1st-90th, If you have a spare few minutes head over to the channel and show your support in the comment section, If you enjoy leave a like and Subscribe!

Sad times indeed,i'm ****ing worried.

Was reading the comments on Facebook and noticed someone mention that of course our last league match before yesterday was a well deserved 3-1 win against Bristol rovers with plenty of youngsters playing. It does show they are probably more capable than we are thinking. Hope yesterday was just one of those days!!
What we did in that game was play tactics and a formation that suited our limited and young resources. So we forgot about tippy tapping at the back and went 451 with the midfield given license to get forward. We over ran then in midfield and it worked- with our current squad and to stabilise things we should probably consider same.

I must have been the only fan who couldn't stop laughing at our 4th goal.....Let me explain.

I was heading round to the house of Mr Lee Venus as a guest to watch it on iFollow. I made rare trip to the bookies, as there was no Railway, Spread, cabs or any chance of ending up out-out.

I phoned him and let him pick a bet for the day...3-0 Harrogate. That was only 22/1 so I suggested 4-0 at 66/1 but he decided to stick on 3-0. There was another patron listening in to our phone call and our treachery seemed to really annoy him....So just to keep a complete stranger happy, for my bet I abandoned 4-0 to Harrogate and went 2-1 Southend.

At 3-0 I said to Lee that they weren't even bothered about a 4th but we were likely to do something really daft and concede another......Then Oxley put the ball down by his feet.....You know the rest

I had been getting more annoyed with each free-kick that went short and we ended up in trouble. Not only kicks but short corners and square throws that Shane Warne would be proud of as some where unplayable......The 4th goal broke the tension and just made me laugh. There are times when that is all you can do.

Last edited:
We actually started the game reasonably well, with Green looking lively and Hobson having a snapshot that admittedly was straight at the keeper. Gradually Harrogate enforced their energy and physicality and their first goal was no surprise.

Unfortunately the second goal more or less killed us off. Really, really poor from Oxley who, having got both hands to the shot, should have parried it at the very least. In contrast their keeper made a wonder save to deny Kelman early in the second half, in which we had our best spell of the game, and Gard was unlucky with his cross/shot ending up hitting the post, but once Harrogate woke up again they bossed the rest of the game and, while we were unlucky not to get a free-kick for the third there were no excuses for the fourth, Play to the bloody whistle! Hobson's brainless error was bad enough but what was Oxley doing? Their player had practically the whole goal to aim at.

I just hope MM doesn't rigidly stick to 4-4-2. With Humphrys and before him Hopper and Cox gone it doesn't work at the moment. As @kentblues rightly points out, our victory against Bristol Rovers was based on playing a fluid three-man midfield with Demi allowing Gard and Kinali the freedom to play in the opposition half. Gard and Hutchinson were horribly exposed yesterday.

Hopefully the likes of White, Dieng, Demi and Lennon will be available next week to give us a bit of experience and leadership.

According to the Official site the Ref has apologised re head injury to Taylor and 4th goal striker was still in the area when goal kick was taken - wouldn't have made any difference!

Well hopefully Ron’s got the loud wake up call that if he can’t somehow find the money to get the embargo lifted quickly there’s a definite possibility of another relegation.

I knew we were in for a tough match when I saw that team sheet, no White or Dieng meant only Elvis, Ralph and Green had any notable league experience. I was therefore expecting a defeat but I didn’t expect it to be quite that bad!

Collectively there was no care in possession, we gave the ball away cheaply far too often. I don’t want to be too critical of the youngsters but I expected better from those with a bit more experience, Elvis and Hutch, I’m looking at you! Hutchinson is never going to work in a midfield 4 for me, if he’s going to play he needs to be further forward, either the most attacking of a midfield 5 or as an alternative to Goodship as no 10.

Oxley was the biggest disappointment though. I’ve always defended the guy despite some shaky performances but enough’s enough. If we can get him off the wage bill and bring in a replacement it would be best for both parties IMO. I can forgive the mistake for the second goal but not his second half performance. Why did he not scream at Hobson to clear the ball after that ‘goal kick’, and why did he then make little to no effort to get back in position, allowing the Harrogate player a more or less open goal to shoot at? Worrying signs that he just doesn’t care any more, he also continued to take no care at all with his short distribution putting the defenders under immediate pressure.

Were there any positives... I though Hobson looked decent until about the 60 min mark and with an experienced player alongside him could prove a decent signing. Green had a couple of good runs but we just couldn’t get him into the game enough. At least the effort could not be faulted (apart from Oxley anyway), that at least was an improvement on some of last seasons horror shows such as the Rochdale game.

I’m now praying that White, Demetriou and Dieng will be fit by next Saturday, I never thought a I’d say that about Dieng! Also some new signings would be nice, :Smile2:hopefully one at least to replace Humphrys anyway.

I must have been the only fan who couldn't stop laughing at our 4th goal.....Let me explain.

I was heading round to the house of Mr Lee Venus as a guest to watch it on iFollow. I made rare trip to the bookies, as there was no Railway, Spread, cabs or any chance of ending up out-out.

I phoned him and let him pick a bet for the day...3-0 Harrogate. That was only 22/1 so I suggested 4-0 at 66/1 but he decided to stick on 3-0. There was another patron listening in to our phone call and our treachery seemed to really annoy him....So just to keep a complete stranger happy, I abandoned 4-0 to Harrogate and went 2-1 Southend.

At 3-0 I said to Lee that they weren't even bothered about a 4th but we were likely to do something really daft and concede another......Then Oxley put the ball down by his feet.....You know the rest

I had been getting more annoyed with each free-kick that went short and we ended up in trouble. Not only kicks but short corners and square throws that Shane Warne would be proud of as some where unplayable......The 4th goal broke the tension and just made me laugh. There are times when that is all you can do.

I was laughing too.... it was one of those if you don’t laugh you’ll cry kind of moments.

I think that’s gone to the top of my list for ‘worst goal conceded’. I always had the Mark Prudhoe howler at number one but I think this topped it!

There’s been worse games.
We’ve all been more depressed than this before.
Bad loss, but no season is lost on game one.
Even though this is probably a sign of things to come, we still don’t know.
We know we’ve got got some raw talent.
We know the embargo will hopefully be lifted one day soon, maybe.
I’ll give it a couple of more thrashing’s, before I concede where total rubbish and the seasons a loss.

There’s been worse games.
We’ve all been more depressed than this before.
Bad loss, but no season is lost on game one.
Even though this is probably a sign of things to come, we still don’t know.
We know we’ve got got some raw talent.
We know the embargo will hopefully be lifted one day soon, maybe.
I’ll give it a couple of more thrashing’s, before I concede where total rubbish and the seasons a loss.

We're this season's basket case club, like Leyton Orient in 2017, Chesterfield in 2018, and Notts County in 2019.

Back