• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tired minds and tired bodies, Millwall were first to every ball and out muscled us in the 50/50 challenges. Coker struggled from the outset and Barrett looked as though he had lead boots on. Can only assume Worrell was injured because he was at least giving it a go in the first half. Our tactics played into their strengths. If you are going to play into the corners you need to turn the centre backs. Instead they coped comfortably with Hunt and Mooney trying to work with scraps. A very bad day at the office in what has been an excellent year overall.

Coker - 3, probably worst game I've seen him have as well, very much off the pace and the dead ball delivery is becoming a real joke

I think he's been below his normal standards for several games now. Having a real bad run.

Payne started in the middle and was told to come out wide pretty early on when we were defending to try to cope with Millwall as they were all over us. He would then drift into the middle again when we had the ball.

Indeed, you dont get promoted with 80+ points then get to the top 7 the next season just by luck.

Today was awful but we are still in a good position in the league.

The point I'm making is since the change to 2 up front Payne is not playing in the hole but generally wide midfield. Personally I think that is where he started today but we can differ. He has certainly started wide against both Bury and Col U. I believe his best position is in the hole but having got hammered today can't see Brown putting him there unless he leaves out one of the forwards and bolsters midfield.

Its hard to envisage the same back four starting Saturday now. Conceding 4 at home you would expect to see a change or two, especially with options available to Brown.

What concerned me more today than the 0-3 score at half time after the horror show was the lack of fight immediately after the interval. There was no sign of the players having a go when you would have expected them to really push for a goal. I thought that a few of the players were feeling sorry for themselves and having a little cheat up. I find that baffling when you consider recent form, league position, bumper crowd and coming off the Col U win.

A bad day at the office indeed and plenty to ponder for Brown before Saturday's game...

perfect time to get those frustrations out , kick the cat up the arse and be done with it..... Works every time for me ....

Normally I think a shoeing for the cat would have been in order, but Mrs RHB was first on clean up detail (because I wouldn't do it properly apparently) and as she was at Roots Hall today as well, she took first swing at the cat. Two kickings may have been a bit overkill.

Play like we did today you might as well start your mascot whatever it is!

I think you'll bounce back on Saturday, though Rovers have a decent record at Roots Hall. We seem to be playing better away than at home. Will be an interesting encounter.

that was very poor today. shocking really.

i think the formation got found out straight away, it didn't work at all. Payne really looked like a boy at a man's game today. i would have subbed him for McLaughlin as early as possible as gone with 2 wingers but not sure it would have done much good

second half it was all too little too late. we started brightly with the changes but they were good enough to take the sting out of the fightback and we weren't good enough to take any of the half chances we made

overall i'd say everyone was poor apart from Thompson, White and Leonard. They were the only ones to come out with any credit to me and i'm afraid I include Big Phil in that.

I couldn't believe Millwall had lost like 3 in a row, they were too big, too strong and too streetwise for us.

hopefully this will shut up the people who think promotion is the least we should get this season. Millwall are clearly better than us and should be in the mix to go up while we're probably a bit short of that

i'd like to see Timlin back asap

Is Timlin still injured? Need him back with Deegan. Completely overrun in midfield today.
Prosser or Bolger to return against Donny?

On a positive note at least we wont play Millwall and their wayne kerr fans again, unless Play offs!

Wasn't going to comment but hey its what we do.

To be fair it was fairly even at the beginning of the game.

A few observations from the game:

Our passing was poor (being generous there)
Our movement of ball was too slow
Coker was being torn apart before coming off.
We didn't win the first, second or third ball !
We contributed to our own downfall with inept clearances and passing.
Bentley made one terrific save and apart from that was poor.
Why oh why did we keep pumping long high balls to the jolly green giants they had at the bag to gobble up.
Why do we float all our free kicks and corners in so that any decent keeper can come and claim them.
We were beaten in all areas of the field

On the plus side its one game and we should be able to chalk it down as a bad day at the office and move on.

I will happily take our league position and be content.

Just got home from watching 75 minutes of the best display of coaching I have seen in 46 years of supporting Southend United.
Well done Chops!
Knew the weak spots prior to the JPT win. Worked on exploiting them, because he must have realised that the Northern idiot has so entrenched his Clean Sheet Mentality in his team, that there is no Plan B. All from a manager that has less than 6 months experience.
I still believe that our team is as high in the League IN SPITE of Phil Brown and not because of him.

No need for that. Bad day at the office, get over it.

Just got home from watching 75 minutes of the best display of coaching I have seen in 46 years of supporting Southend United.
Well done Chops!
Knew the weak spots prior to the JPT win. Worked on exploiting them, because he must have realised that the Northern idiot has so entrenched his Clean Sheet Mentality in his team, that there is no Plan B. All from a manager that has less than 6 months experience.
I still believe that our team is as high in the League IN SPITE of Phil Brown and not because of him.

Where as the Northern idiot outdone Neil Harris when we went up to there place and they had no idea on how to get back in the game.....guess u missed that one hey.

Is Timlin still injured? Need him back with Deegan. Completely overrun in midfield today.
Prosser or Bolger to return against Donny?

On a positive note at least we wont play Millwall and their wayne kerr fans again, unless Play offs!
It was reported they needed to give Timlin a couple more games - well, he's had a couple, depends whether they actually mean a couple or more. I think we're missing him big time. I am not a fan of Deegan, Timlin and Leonard together though, it makes us too narrow, the same as it does with Atkinson. Would much prefer two CMs and two proper wingers, one each side.

Personally, I'd be tempted to change both Thompson and Barrett for Bolger and Prosser! I guess that depends on whether a loan deal may have already been agreed for Prosser.

brown impressed me after the game, came out and applauded the fans .... Yes a bad day, but at least realised the effect it had on us.....

Indeed. He always comes out (mostly) and say's he got it wrong. He did today and the players just didn't turn up, so as a club (collectively) we got it wrong. Millwall got it spot on, we must take our hats off to Bomber and Millwall who on the day were very good. Lets move on to the next game.........

Any news on weston,have to say we miss the options he gives us

I spoke with him last week and he is still injured & very frustrated asi it sounded like only rest and time will sort his foot out. I do think he has something about him that was good to have in the squad and at least on the bench.

Gutless, embarrassing display, it looked like none of the team had any belief that we could win today. Considering Millwall are below us in the table and we beat them away I've no idea why this was?

The one thing that did annoy me was the lack of shape defensively. For some reason today Payne seemed to have licence to roam wherever he pleased (to no effect I might add). This might be ok if he's playing as a second striker, but as one of the 4 in midfield :stunned:. Against Bury I was impressed by how he held his wide position when defending, today he was no where to be seen, whether this was Brown or Payne's fault is debatable but it left us constantly a man short defensively.

Absolutely no one scores more than a 6 today, a special mention for Bentley, Coker and Worrall, who all decided to produce their worst ever 'performance' in the same game.

Having said all that 37 points at half way is fantastic, it's how we bounce back from this that matters. I'm sure Phil will put a rocket up the teams arse and I'm expecting a much improved display on Saturday. What's for sure is we can't continue to play like today and expect the public to cough up £20 odd quid for the privilege.

Lost the game at the toss-up, MillYawn Captain changed ends and attacked their own fans first half.
Poor set pieces, appalling long throw routine, shocking all round.

i left when the 4th trickled in. First time I've left early since November 95 vs Stoke (the Petter Belsvik game...). I struggle to think of a worse home performance in the 20 years since. Honestly it could have been seven.

Back