• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0 - 4 Oxford United

Why are my post the only ones you’ve commented on all week ???

You don’t have to read my opinions and I’m entitled to not read anyone else’s too....the fact I do read them and in turn reply or respond to them seems to be lost on you. ?

I beat you to it.

Wrong again (see above).

?‍♂️?‍♂️ I honestly don’t know what you’re on about or what your point is.

But hey it’s a discussion forum so fair enough

True. I went to the pub in Rayleigh after the game. Only myself and my mate (who beats me by going to every away game too), had gone to the game.

There were a fair few 'fair weather' fans in there, none of who had gone, including a group who had season tickets under Brown. They couldn't understand why we still go! I guess we're showing who the true fans are now!
Couldn't even give away the free ticket offered to ST holders....It's great saying we stand by our club... but financially the effects of this season is an absolute disaster and come Jan where is the money going to come from to turn this around .This whole situation and an end to the season of maybe 3 months of knowing we are relegated .The resulting clear out and cut backs must seriously question Rons and the clubs whole future .

The effect on income in the coming months will see the club suffer in the future. Who will want to buy a half season ticket now ? How much merchandise will sell in the run up to Christmas and beyond.
When we were in the championship/div2 we at last saw local kids in Southend shirts in numbers instead of plastic Cockney and Manc shirts and increased ST numbers...which shows the effect on future support which takes time to build.What kid wants to support a joke of a club,and unfortunately that's the comments being made to us supporters now.
Having seen Ron nearly destroy us before with non payment of players and double relegation does anyone seriously think he is still in his position other than the fact we have no other choice .Seriously am concerned that this current situation could take the club under

Just heard Alan Shearer say on Match of the Day that the Arsenal defence isn’t good enough to play out from the back. Why would Sol think that our players have that capability? I actually thought there were some good performances from some of our players today including Hutch, Macca, Dieng but individual mistakes in areas where you don’t want to be playing the ball cost us. Another positive was the way the fans responded to Taylor making the mistake. it must’ve been a terrible start for the lad’s career and would’ve helped to know the fans were on his side.

32 years of flowing the blues, probably around 20 of those as a season ticket holder..over 70 grounds up and down the country....never have I been so embarrassed to support Southend until now.

My 11 year old son’s patience is being severely tested...why support your dads team and hometown club, when many of the players don’t even care

Sol won’t see out the season....league 2 here we come.....can AB stabilise our slide to the conference.... a completely new team next season.....if we still exist!!!

Well if that's how it goes then so beit. True fans stick with the team through thick and thin. I've been going for 39 years and my son now in his ninth season. Yes it's desperate and dire but it's our football club. Got tickets for Bristol Rov and weekend booked for Bolton. If people want to stay away then let them, their choice but not one we will be taking. Southend til we die
As you say it's their choice, which for some will be an easy choice when Ron wants £400 for a season ticket renewal in February next year!

So far we have only won 3 home and 2 away league games in 2019 and one of those games should really have been a draw (Gillingham). I doubt we have ever had a worse year in our history.

Trying very hard to take some positives from yesterday.

We didn’t concede from a set piece, so Sol and Co. look to have tightened up there.

Er..... that’s about it!

When Sol played 5-3-2 at the beginning of his reign I supported it because we had a few fit senior CBs and not much else. However yesterday he had to play a young kid as a 3rd CB so it didn’t make much sense to me.

Time to go back to a back 4 - not sure who the CB pairing should be, but maybe time to give Milligan a go there - he doesn’t seem to cut it as a CM any more but he should have the experience and positional sense to play alongside Kiernan who I thought did OK yesterday. Ralph had a better game and perhaps the time has come to play both Demi and Elvis on the right.

A team of:

Bishop​

Elvis Kiernan Milligan Ralph​

Demi Dieng Hamilton Macca​

Hutchinson​

Hopper​

[QUOTE="OldBlueLady, post: 2201710, member: 2622"]I happen to agree with that - cutting off our noses to spite our faces, forcing us to play a youngster who didn't look to me as if he was ready for blooding.

You know, we are short of confidence, low on ability and relying on a mix of players who still don't look fit and youngsters who are being exposed to a toxic atmosphere.

Says a lot when we concede 4 and yet our young goalkeeper is one of a few to come out with credit.

I struggle to understand why our wing backs were further forward than our two forwards for large portions of the game, and I also struggle to see why our best CF was played wide and deep for so much of the time - including making a great tackle late on deep in our own half.

Individually, I thought a number of our players looked positive - Ralph seemed to get forward a lot; Dieng, mistake apart, continued to be our most impressive CB; Hamilton had the best game I've seen him have yet for us and McLaughlin continued to put full effort in. Elvis also did ok, and, when he came on (why did he not start?), Hutchinson looked the pick of the team.

I've got a lot of time for Simon Cox, who is always brilliant at any JB event, but he is simply not the player he was last season, and I don't think him and Hopper look to be on the same page at all.

Sol needs to go back to basics, play L2 football which includes hoofing and hitting it long, dropping the ridiculous backwards and sideways passing which is absolutely killing us, and letting our forwards play in the right place on the pitch.

Another thing I just thought of, we need to play dirty. I am fed up with getting penalised by officials when we've really not done anything. So, if we're going to get punished, let's deserve the punishment.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, we were not forced to play a youngster, what Sol should have done is ditch the stupid 5 at the back at home (and against weak opoition away!!).

Problem, we play dirty and get booked for every foul, or even sent-off and if Maccys foul a few weeks ago was a red, then how come the Oxford guy didn't go!!!

Sorry, we were not forced to play a youngster, what Sol should have done is ditch the stupid 5 at the back at home (and against weak opoition away!!).

Problem, we play dirty and get booked for every foul, or even sent-off and if Maccys foul a few weeks ago was a red, then how come the Oxford guy didn't go!!!

To play the system he wanted, Sol was forced to play Taylor as there were no other fit and available CBs. Dieng works as the centre of a 3, but I am not sure about him in a solid flat back 4.

Can't answer why the Oxford player didn't get sent off - a different day, a different ref and he may well have been.

Why are my post the only ones you’ve commented on all week ???

You don’t have to read my opinions and I’m entitled to not read anyone else’s too....the fact I do read them and in turn reply or respond to them seems to be lost on you. ?
If you were to replace the 'everyone' and 'no one' in the the post concerned with more accurate words you may find other posters more interested in your self proclaimed expert views.
Meantime, back on 'ignore' you go.

Total dog **** performance.

Look clueless and talentless.

On paper cox and hopper should be top class in league 1. They aren't. Cox has been a great servant to the club but it's time for him to go.
I can't help but think Robinson and hopper would be much more effective.

We haven't played with two wingers in forever.

We are narrow, slow and predictable.

The midfield are pathetic.

Milligan the international captain. I've genuinely seen better at billericays level. He is a joke. Offers nothing.

Hamilton. On the books of United. Looks lost for a majority of the game. He will never make it at pro level if he can't cut it in league 1.

Elvis is decent going forward but he can't defend. Maybe he is the answer on the wing?

Don't get me started on Ralph. Can't defend and can't get forward either.

In short we are total **** in all areas.

To say Sol had no choice but to play Taylor is simply wrong.
He had a decision to make and it didn't work. We went 442 in the end, was he genuinely expecting Taylor to play 90 mins? if 'yes' that was beyond naive, if 'no' then he was going 442 at some point based on the fact that is what he did.

what was interesting today was that when we had our decent 20 minutes and pressed then they made mistake after mistake- easily as many as us. it shows what happens when you press. BUT they didn't make mistake right in front of their goal

I thought dieng did well , except for the second of course, BUT you can't see it on the highlights but you could see what he was trying to do, we had ONE player up for the pass.
We just don't seem to understand percentage football, that type of pass is not going to work every time- so don't do it. ps watch Kiernan for the second goal, i'm not blaming him but his positioning and choice of which player to go to was all wrong.

For their fourth why does Elvis give the ball to Cox who has players all round him - I don't know but I would guess no one else was showing for it

I thought Issac was great when he came on, everything seemed to go thru him . Was he really good, or did the rest of out players make him look good?

I was also impressed that Taylor showed for the ball all match, which indicates he has confidence and character- but he did nothing that suggested to me he is ready yet

Bishop made a lot of saves- I am a long way from the East stand goal so I don't know how good they were, but I counted 8 in the first half ! Well done young man

ps- i know we were crap, but didn't seem any point repeating what has already been said.

Is it me, or has Kiernan got off relatively lightly? Maybe, I've missed earlier bile on him in the thread?
He must be three yards off the 3-0 goal supplier after his dreadful header.
And then he keeps backing away from Agyei for 4-0. Cox got a portion of blame for that last goal, but Haircut 100 just looks and stares.
Taylor must have been under the strictest of instructions before kick-off.
It was pretty clear a hoof down the left channel was his only option before 1-0. Even then, surely he could see Taylor out of the corner of his eye?
Can't see why he didn't take that Wimbledon performance with him into this?

Back