• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0 - 4 Oxford United

I feel very sorry of young Taylor, he must feel terrible after yesterday, but the third goal was down to sloppy Cox in midfield, and then within minutes Cox gets sloppy again goal number four, he is one of several players who should know better been around long enough TOTAL RUBBISH, Sol may have experience in the prem, but this is league 1 with incapable players

Is it me, or has Kiernan got off relatively lightly? Maybe, I've missed earlier bile on him in the thread?
He must be three yards off the 3-0 goal supplier after his dreadful header.
And then he keeps backing away from Agyei for 4-0. Cox got a portion of blame for that last goal, but Haircut 100 just looks and stares.
Taylor must have been under the strictest of instructions before kick-off.
It was pretty clear a hoof down the left channel was his only option before 1-0. Even then, surely he could see Taylor out of the corner of his eye?
Can't see why he didn't take that Wimbledon performance with him into this?
Totally different level of opposition. I felt sorry for young Taylor, he shouldn’t have started in my opinion. Oxford came into the game on a great run of form and Matty Taylor is a savvy, experienced striker who knows this level of football. As for Kiernan I’ve said it all season, his heart doesn’t seem to be in it for me.

Last edited:
To play the system he wanted, Sol was forced to play Taylor as there were no other fit and available CBs. Dieng works as the centre of a 3, but I am not sure about him in a solid flat back 4.

Can't answer why the Oxford player didn't get sent off - a different day, a different ref and he may well have been.

He was going to be sent off Yesterday. The ref sprinted over reaching for his pocket but the Oxford players out muscled us and blocked the ref. Time is your friend when you need it to be a yellow instead of a red.

Unlike Doncatser who were in the refs ear after that Hamilton tackle, we looked like an unconvincing LBW appeal.

By the way OBL I was going to say hello in the CC bar but you looked to be in a rush

He was going to be sent off Yesterday. The ref sprinted over reaching for his pocket but the Oxford players out muscled us and blocked the ref. Time is your friend when you need it to be a yellow instead of a red.

Unlike Doncatser who were in the refs ear after that Hamilton tackle, we looked like an unconvincing LBW appeal.

By the way OBL I was going to say hello in the CC bar but you looked to be in a rush

Oh you should have, which group were you in? I saw @AndyT and had a chat!

I thought the ref had the yellow card out from the off, so wasn't even considering a red.

Oh you should have, which group were you in? I saw @AndyT and had a chat!

I thought the ref had the yellow card out from the off, so wasn't even considering a red.

I was in the And T group.

The ref was reaching for his back right pocket in the first second but I'm sure the yellow came out of a different, lets not upset Oxford because their the big boys, pocket.

I was in the And T group.

The ref was reaching for his back right pocket in the first second but I'm sure the yellow came out of a different, lets not upset Oxford because their the big boys, pocket.
Even more reason you should have then, lol!

Well, what an embarrassing inept mess that was. Yep, yours truly had just finished his prediction league scores in the morning when he got distracted by something and forgot to press the button. Thankfully I looked at last week's table when I got back and was relieved to see that I was safer from relegation than I thought. Shame about our team...

We couldn't have started worse. After 12 seconds a slice into the crowd and the effers and blinders around me were already in action and with not even a minute on the clock a disastrous backpass by the debutant Taylor saw us one behind. Fair play to him, though; the crowd and his teammates got behind him and he grew in confidence.

Dieng was a tad unlucky with the second. He spotted a good run into a pocket behind their midfield and although it looks absolutely awful on the highlights from my view in the SU it was the right ball but executed poorly.

I actually thought we played quite well in the second half, controlled possession and got into good areas but our final ball was poor.

Just a few points. Hutchinson is getting better every game. Why on earth didn’t he start? We looked far better with him on the field. The problem is, this system suits him perfectly, 4-4-2 not so much. When he played on the right earlier in the season he looked totally lost and I don’t think he is suited to playing in a two-man central midfield, and likewise I don’t think it would suit Dieng either; he and Hutch have been two rare positives in recent weeks.

Finally, I think Cox is getting some unfair criticism. He ran his backside off again and was still at the heart of our best moves despite playing in a deep position. The question is whether he is doing this deliberately or whether he is under instruction from Sol. He and Hopper are totally disconnected at the moment but I don’t think that’s his fault.

Sorry if Iv;e missed some posts. Just wanted to say a couple of things.
In another thread I think I said we should just play 4-4-2 in our current situation. Why havn't we?
Please no more stats how bad we are. Even more depressing!
How will Xmas sales of merchandise etc effects our finances?
I still believe in Sol, but he's probably thinking wtf have I got myself into here? Rich enough to say I'm off don't need this s*** in my life.

Well if that's how it goes then so beit. True fans stick with the team through thick and thin. I've been going for 39 years and my son now in his ninth season. Yes it's desperate and dire but it's our football club. Got tickets for Bristol Rov and weekend booked for Bolton. If people want to stay away then let them, their choice but not one we will be taking. Southend til we die

Commendable but not for everyone - I'm going to give my lads a break from going for a couple of games, as I don't want them to end up hating it and never wanting to go ever again. The problem isn't losing, they're used to that - it is the fact we are not remotely competitive.

Just heard Alan Shearer say on Match of the Day that the Arsenal defence isn’t good enough to play out from the back. Why would Sol think that our players have that capability? I actually thought there were some good performances from some of our players today including Hutch, Macca, Dieng but individual mistakes in areas where you don’t want to be playing the ball cost us. Another positive was the way the fans responded to Taylor making the mistake. it must’ve been a terrible start for the lad’s career and would’ve helped to know the fans were on his side.

I'd add that to be fair to Taylor he didn't hide after his mistake, and actually played OK afterwards - a few might have crumbled.

As for tactics, it doesn't matter what system you play, if you pass the ball direct to their centre forward (as we did twice), you're in trouble.

Agreed, but they were both the direct result of playing a passing tactic across the back-line.

And much as I love and respect him your mate is also at fault
Without going into too much detail, and between ourselves, CP found something of an 'atmosphere' in the squad the day he arrived.
From another higher-up at Roots Hall: 'they weren't always trying under CP'.
Now, you might blame him for failing to crack the whip. But remember, he had but seven days to do something in the January transfer window, and therefore didn't have a proper handle on the squad.
What I find interesting is certain players were unwilling to give a chance to ANYONE who took on the job - and including CP and Ricky Duncan, that's four different coaches.

Last edited:
For the first time in ages we have a decent centre forward who can head a ball..... In 90 minutes did we manage one decent cross into the box?

Without going into too much detail, and between ourselves, CP found something of an 'atmosphere' in the squad the day he arrived.
Now, you might blame him for failing to crack the whip. But remember, he had but seven days to do something in the January transfer window, and therefore didn't have a proper handle on the squad.
What I find interesting is certain players were unwilling to give a chance to ANYONE who took on the job - and including CP and Ricky Duncan that's four different coaches.
Which begs the question should PB have been cleared out the trouble makers to save himself before CP....Fergie getting rid of Keane being the perfect example

Did we provide one decent cross?
Well we did actually, late in the first half, from Elvis, on a plate for Hopper (the decent centre forward?) to deliver a diving header like Billy Best would have done. He got the timing wrong and the header ballooned harmlessly ... goal kick if I remember correctly

Which begs the question should PB have been cleared out the trouble makers to save himself before CP....Fergie getting rid of Keane being the perfect example
If the bad apple theory is correct it doesn't take much effort to work out the names of the culprits if only four of them who were here under Brown are still around.

What I find interesting is certain players were unwilling to give a chance to ANYONE who took on the job - and including CP and Ricky Duncan that's four different coaches.

Which is strange, because a 1/3 of the way through last season we were sitting in 9th place with 7 wins from our 15 games....? Then the injuries kicked in...Would be interested in knowing which ones weren't always trying..

Back