• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Official Match Thread Southend United 0-6 Spurs XI

It KO 15mins ago. There is an Ifollow match centre...........but what for, I'm not sure? There's no info on line-ups or game. It just shows the score which still stands at 0-0. Doesn't look as if CP is there..........no news from his twitter page.

Match Report: Tottenham Hotspur 6-0 Southend United

Medium

Medium

previous
next

ExtraSmall

ExtraSmall

ExtraSmall

ExtraSmall

ExtraSmall

ExtraSmall

@SUFCRootsHall
Blues were beaten 6-0 by a strong Spurs side on Wednesday in a behind closed doors pre-season friendly.
Erik Lamela scored a first-half hat-trick to put Mauricio Pochettino’s side 5-0 ahead at half-time.
Blues responded strongly in the second-half but they couldn't help Tashan Oakley-Boothe adding a sixth in the second 45.
Blues went behind in the seventh minute with Lamela getting his first after a low cross from Lucas Moura was side-footed home by the Argentine.
It was soon doubled by Fernando Llorente who pounced on a loose ball inside the area after Auriergot beyond Stephen Hendrie and delivered a fizzing ball into the Blues penalty area.
It was only half cleared and the Spanish striker controlled a first-time finish from 10 yards past Mark Oxley.
Blues’ first attempt on goal came from Sam Barratt’s excellent 30-yard free kick which was tipped over by Michel Vorm in the 19th minute.
Moments later Spurs added a third after low ball from the right-hand side by Aurier was met by Lamela running from deep and he poked the ball past Oxley at the near post.
Shortly before the half an hour mark Lucas Moura got himself on the scoresheet after some good build-up play from the left hand side involving Ben Davies and Lamela, with the latter pulling the ball back for the Brazilian to convert.
Sam Mantom had an effort which went wide before Oxley made a good save from Moura, but just before half time Spurs got their fifth.
Aurier made a driving run down the right wing and forced Oxley into a save, but the Blues Player of the Year last season could only parry it into the path of Lamela who scored his hat-trick with an easy finish.
Blues made 10 changes at half time with Mantom the only one to carry on from the first half.
There were some bright spells in the second 45 for Chris Powell’s side - Turner had an effort on goal from Hopper’s cross after a short corner and McLaughlin whipped a low free kick on target.
Klass replaced Mantom after an hour and Blues were able to keep the Tottenham chances to a minimum.
However they did add a sixth as Lamela, who played an instrumental role throughout the game, picked out England U18 midfielder Oakley-Boothe with a through ball and the striker he rounded Nathan Bishop and slotted home.
Blues are next in action on Sunday when Championship side Leeds United visit Roots Hall.
Southend first-half XI: Oxley, Bwomono, White, Lennon, Hendrie, Batlokwa, Klass, Mantom, Barratt, Robinson, Ba.
Southend second-half XI: Bishop, Demetriou, Turner, Kyprianou, Coker, McLaughlin, Hyam, Mantom (60’ Klass), Kightly, Cox, Hopper.
Reaction from Chris Powell to following later.

https://www.southendunited.co.uk/news/2018/april/match-report-oldham-southend/

At least we spared Spurs blushes by playing different sides in each half. If we had played a full strength side for 90 minutes it might have been embarrassing.

Anyone know why Dieng didn't feature? Mantom and Klass had to share the second half.

A good warm up for Leeds on Sunday. nothing like a good thwacking to gee you up for the next game. Mind you, Spurs line up was pretty scary.

We were outclassed by the Spurs players in and around their first team. Mind you, it sounds like we got roasted down our left side in the first half.

SAM Mantom feels Southend United will be boosted by today’s pre-season friendly with Tottenham Hotspur - despite suffering a 6-0 defeat.

More...

It's always good (well, it hasn't been proven) to have some problems in pre-season friendlies ...... keeps the players in the right frame of mind for when the season starts.

To be fair, you'd expect spurs to be that far ahead of us just like you'd expect us to brush aside great wakering. No surprises really when Lamela's £70k a week could pay our entire playing staff bill. Good bit of fitness work against a decent side, sure we would have taken some lessons away from the encounter.

Many people going to Bishops Stortford on Tuesday? I know it's advertised as an under 23 but I've been told that CP is taking charge rather than Maher so I'd guess there will be 1st teamers involved?

Even though Spurs put out a really strong side I was still a bit disappointed with 6-0. Then I saw the side we had out in the first half and it’s no real surprise. Our strongest XI would have found it a difficult match so a team full of new signings and youngsters stood no chance.

All pre-season games are mainly about building fitness but I do wonder what the point is of playing such strong opposition when it’s not even a money spinning game where we could fill Roots Hall with local Spurs fans?

"I never want to see Roots Hall filled with local Spurs fans. Ditto West Ham or Chelsea."

I dunno, I think I'd bite that bullet and take their money.....

Back