• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0, Coventry City 2

Evening Echo

The News
SOUTHEND United’s struggles continued with a 2-0 defeat to high-flying Coventry City at Roots Hall this afternoon.

More...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, we lost of course but our young lads are performing quite well against a high flying team for an hour again. We cannot expect much more. Will Sol stay to try to keep us in L2 next year, or are we going out of the League? Will Ron find money for new players? Will the sun ever shine again on Southend United FC?

Well, we lost of course but our young lads are performing quite well against a high flying team for an hour again. We cannot expect much more. Will Sol stay to try to keep us in L2 next year, or are we going out of the League? Will Ron find money for new players? Will the sun ever shine again on Southend United FC?
Yes, I truly believe it will.

1581787294657.jpeg

Oxley was having a solid game, couldn’t blame him for the goals again.

Elvis is desperate to play a more attacking role, he can not wait to get forward.

Clifford and Egbri have clearly got good control and touch, with some experience around them to help with learning positional elements they could be bright talents.

Mantom and Milligan put a shift in but need to talk and lead more considering the youngsters around them.

I thought Barratt was doing well in the 10 minute spell before their 1st goal. We were on top and pushing them back.

Sadly the 0-2 scoreline reflects the difference in quality in front of goal, but I thought we matched a top side in this league for large parts of the game. Gives me hope against some lesser sides.

I’d also like to see us deliver a corner onto Dieng’s head rather than the working an angle routine, I think we need to be a little more direct right now with set pieces.

Mantom is awful, really awful. He literally never takes a second touch, he can’t wait to get rid of the ball. No composure about him at all

Milligan on the other hand has really turned things around since all these senior players left in Jan so I wonder who he wasn’t getting on with. He actually looks like he’s dropped a bit of weight too

Aside from one fantastic bit of skill nothing else really happened for Barratt. To have any chance we needed to score in the first half and it should have been Goodship early doors. Really good chance.

First the pluses :-
  • A gate of 7.278 hopefully aded some much needed dosh into the Club's coffers.
  • The players now wear their shirts with pride and compete for 90 minutes.
  • Our younger players continue to gain competitive match experience.
  • Our younger players are improving bit by bit, some quicker than others.
  • Tom Clifford is starting to look the real deal at left back.
  • Terrell Egbri created far more in this game than he did against the Posh.
  • We developed some one touch passing in the first half that had me clapping in appreciation.
  • We weren't afraid to have a shot from range when the opportunity arose.(not very often)
  • We're just back home and the fence panels are still in tact.
And so the minuses:-
  • Our cutting edge up front lacks a cutting edge. It ain't no good expecting Kelman to do anything exciting without support.
  • Too many times our moves break down when we pass the ball to the opposition.
  • We seriously missed McLaughlin and Demi but again it does give the kids another opportunity.
  • The Ox goes off injured which was disappointing as he was my MoM before his departure.
  • We have another game on Tuesday
  • Coventry were very lucky that Dabo didn't get the red card he so richly deserved.

Too many in the West expected more from the side today, but hopefully as the experience is gained so the team performances will move from just hanging on at times to giving it a good go.

I expected us to get a serious tonking today and we didn't. Maybe that was because Coventry didn't need to try very hard. That said we drew another first half. And so on to Gillingham.

Stand out performances from Clifford and Dieng. Thought Mitchell-Nelson played really well also apart from the one obvious mistake. Great that both Elvis and Dieng went to him straight after their goal to offer encouragement.. Need a keeper for Tuesday night....

I enjoyed the game and thought the result a tad harsh (despite Cov hitting woodwork thrice).
The kids are doing manfully and growing all the time.
If, IF, the Goodship had slotted his chance, or the ref had some balls it might have been a close thing and a point.
Watching a TEAM put in a shift is happening in 2020, so different from before the "outs" and a few "ins" plus a fit again Kyp, Demi, Macca and we might win a few more.
No duffers out there today, as said above Milligan is NOW looking close to the player his reputation suggests. Mantom is an enigma and underwhelming but seems to be more involved.
Was the 2nd goal a tug/shove foul? It looked to be from the East.
Goodship worked hard and gave some menace but tired, as did Barratt.
Subs didn't work although it was a shame Hutch didn't get put on earlier.
Good crowd and the 1500 Cov fans ought to have put £30k into the war chest.
In the stand were JW, sitting with Hyem and Shaunhessey, will those two be back soon and will they be improved versions like Milligan seems now?

Everyone put in a shift today, seniors and youngsters alike. Oxley deserves a mention, commanded his box today and came out smartly for a couple of one on ones. Hope his injury isn’t too bad, we could really miss him on Tuesday.
Good to see the whole squad acknowledge the fans after the game. Sol has had an effect, hopefully we can keep the remaining squad intact for next season.

Men against boys of course. Coventry have 11 players who have appeared in 30 or first ten games this season. Half our team haven’t played 30 games between them. At least we gave them a decent
game. They’ve only lost 3 all season and will I guess win the division.

In the end we didn’t get a shot on target - Coventry were very quick to close down and worked hard all the game.

Oxley did well particularly first half but looked in pain every save.

Clifford did well again but why has it taken so long to get him in.

Anyway it was a lot more enjoyable than the dross we had in 2019.

The Ref - spineless. 10 yellow for Dabo - should have been made his second red.

We are going down but in League 2 we could be the surprise package. We have some really exciting talent and we must hang on to them. Don't despair. Just like Arnie "I'l (We'll) be back" !

Wasn’t there. But looking at that teamsheet, and comparing it to the team sheet when we lost to Doncaster at Home, I’d say we have much to be pleased with.

(Cov fan) I don't mean to sound demeaning but it looked like men against boys (I understand you had a lot of young lads on - so do we). That's the worse we've played for a while, so many unenforced errors.

Good luck going forwards guys and gals.

Would I be right in thinking the Ox has, or is having, a resurgence - not unlike Milligan - since the recent clear-out ?

Oxley - 8 - Some good saves and is commanding his area more and more, hope the injury isn’t serious

Elvis - 7 - Some good driving runs but needs to improve his final ball

Mitchell-Nelson - 7 - Good solid display apart from the mistake, from my angle it looked like he was pulled down but perhaps not

Dieng - 7 - Very calm and another assured performance

Clifford - 8.5 - Looks very good, won’t need a new left back next year, calm, good in the tackle and drives forward well.

Egbri - 6 - Tried his best but worry his height will cause him to be brushed aside too easily, as was the case today.

Milligan - 7 - Good. Much better than earlier in the season. Tackled well, intercepted, passed properly and forwards.

Mantom - 6 - Only a 6 because he puts a foot in, his passing is shocking and he’s very slow.

Barratt - 4 - Not sure whether its fitness or quality but he couldn’t trap a ball and didn’t look like he knew where to be when we didn’t have the ball. Hopefully he’ll improve

Goodship - 6 - Should’ve done better with his chance and worked hard, not much involvement though

Kelman - 5 - Not his fault but very isolated and had a quiet game

Ref was crap, they should’ve had a red card for their RB.

Coventry playing the best football I’ve seen this season at times, eventually their quality shone through.

Keep this up against Gillingham and Burton and we might be able to nick something.

Would I be right in thinking the Ox has, or is having, a resurgence - not unlike Milligan - since the recent clear-out ?

the senior players that are left are leading. probably by necessity, but the reason doesn’t matter. to be fair it looks like we’ve cleared out the right ones.

the senior players that are left are leading. probably by necessity, but the reason doesn’t matter. to be fair it looks like we’ve cleared out the right ones.
Yes, hence my question as to what the change may be with the likes of Hyem and Shaunhessey if they get fit.

Ok, i'm gonna pretend they are not kids, apart from Coker who really is as he is still at school ffs ! The lads have terrible habit of not getting stuck in when the other team break, especially when we have our tails up. The second goal, Mitchell mate just boot the ball out, other than that i thought the lad done really well. Mantom needs pushing out of the centre cos he cant play alongside Milligan, both too much reactionary play and not anywhere near positive enough. Kelman needs a battler alongside him to shine, yes a Ranger if you must, but was rubbish today up against three centre halfs. Egbri needs to focus on getting past his man and whipping the ball in, which he couldnt do today, was a poor man's JCR out wide. Barrett had some really poor touches and some real good touches, so an average game but he looked overawed. Elvis done well, steady and has a panache about him and seems wasted at right back. Ox was in top form, great decision making, reaction saves and kicking. Coker done well to stop their full back getting time on the ball as they love to play wide, but couldnt conjour up anything attacking of note which is his job really. Goodship needs to up his game, his workrate and just didnt show he wanted it badly enough. Dieng still looks like he is learning to play at the back, looked good today as Coventry went sideways and wings, until they hit through the middle and Dieng just doesnt read when its coming to his man quick enough. Clifford, very tidy player with a bit of aggression about him, impressive. All in all, we are good technically, comfortable on the ball and will play nice triangles and importantly everyone on the team wants to try and do well. Which despite all these faults, i'll pay my £25 a game and support them. Get Mclaughlin back out wide, get Barrett in the middle, get a ball winner up top next to young Charlie and get Elvis in at centre back (he is ready for it) with Demi back in at right back. And lets get in that box when the ball arrives. More crossing and turn those defenders of theirs around and more chances will come. Really enjoyed todays game against a team that should win the div. I love watching the kids develop in League One UTB.

Last edited:
Back