• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

McLaughlin suffered from Timlin's lack of confidence during the first half as the latter tended to favour the hoof up to the forwards rather than try and link up with Macca.

You could see the difference on the flanks, Demetriou and Wright link up well, and Wright allows Demetriou to get forward. Theres nothing in comparison on the left.

This felt a really strange game to me.

We had far better players than Wimbledon but nothing seemed to come off especially in the first against what was a really hard working side.

How the referee allowed their constant pushing and shoving (nothing dirty - just irritating) without pulling them up or booking a player for continuous fouls was beyond me. I am sure that he called their captain and a 'culprit' together in the first half to give them a final 'last' warning but it just continued after that all game. Added to that was their time wasting which started in the first half but miraculously disappeared when they were 1-0 down and their game plan seemed to be work hard, irritate and try and disrupt the flow.

I felt that we deserved the win based on our overall play and should certainly have added to the goal as the game wore on.

I agree that the substitution of Cox for Robinson was spot on. Cox played well but kept dropping in to an already packed midfield which allowed their back 4 to come forward and condense the play even further. Bringing on Robinson (oh if only he could hit a barn door with a banjo) and then later McGlash forced their back 4 back and allowed a little more time in midfield - so good stuff PB.

RATINGS :

Oxley 7 - Great save when Timlin decided to chest a ball back to him and their player got there first. Looks assured and confident but would like to see him command his box more especially as we are not tall at the back

Demetriou 7 -best I have seen him play for ages, have always loved his enthusiasm but have previously questioned his defensive work - the emergence of Elvis seems to have improved Demi.

Timlin 2 (first half) 6 (second half) - First half is best forgotten, free kick after free kick given away - diving in, wrong side - you name it he did it - but HE NEVER DESERVED ABUSE FROM AN IDIOT IN THE SOUTH UPPER. Pretty sure that PB got in his head at half time and 2nd half was so much better (chest moment aside) and great work for the goal.

Ferdinand 5 - I am finding it painful watching him at the moment, was never fast, but now seems so slow. Almost fell over in first half trying to shield a ball back to Oxley that was never going to make it to him but recovered. Best thing is that he is guiding Harry through matches and seems to improve any player that he plays alongside. Hope he gets back to last season's form soon.

Kyprianou 8 - Very solid and growing in to the CB position, seems a natural. His calling and interception followed by a great pass to put Theo through was great.

Wright 7 - Good debut, neat and tidy and linked well with Demi. Looked for early passes and worked hard throughout the 90 - good stuff to come fro him I think.

Leonard 8.5 - Were there two Lennies on the pitch? My MoM by a mile, trouble is that we all expect great performances by him so when he plays as well as he did again last night no one is surprised. Some great defending to help out the CBs

Wordsworth 6 - Good to see him back on the pitch. Pretty hard in a congested midfield, but he adds height, creativity, goals and class to any Team that he plays for............and didn't get injured.

McLaughlin 6 - Solid game, lacks the pace of a top class wide man, but works so hard and is integral to our balance. Always likely to create or score a goal for us.

Cox 7 - Worked really hard but is dropping back in to midfield too much for me presumably as part of team orders. I like to see him up on the last man personally and playing closer to Ranger.

Ranger 7 - Looked really fit and up for a battle - and a battle he got. I thought that he was continually being fouled but didn't get many free kicks awarded to him. Worked really hard without much ball, hardly received a quality pass all night. Was excellent in our own box when defending set pieces and making interceptions.

SUBS :

Robinson 6 - Used his pace to good effect and did what PB wanted by keeping their back 4 occupied. If only he could score from the positions that he gets in to, but then again if he could do that regularly then he wouldn't be with us. A really good impact substitution from PB.

McGlashan 6 - Must be a Manager's delight. In and out of the side but never heard to complain. Puts huge effort in when he comes on and terrifies full backs with his pace as well as working back for the Team.

White n/a - Not on long enough to get a rating either way, but wonder if he will start at LB on Saturday.

Final word for the moron in the South Upper - P**S OFF and don't come back - our club doesn't need morons like you.

Really enjoyed last nights game. A real battle between 2 well matched teams. I thought we slightly edged it and deserved the 3 points, but at the same time very relieved to bag the win.

Wimbledon never seem to change despite the years, they are always a difficult side to play against and come at you from the first to last minute, always hated their little digs and pushes, which were persistent and unpunished last night, Nile must have their No5's handprints embedded in his shirt!

Thought we started brightly, but got pegged back as the 1st half progressed and struggled against the Dons direct in yer face style of play - couple of scares; the one that came back off of our post and the mix-up between Anton and the Ox (I thought Anton was at fault !).

2nd half we improved, as we managed to knock the ball about on the slightly improved, but slippery pitch... I expected 'next goal' would win it, luckily for us we scored, neat play by Demi and well taken goal, albeit by deflection. He's one player that doesn't seem to be afraid to have a shot on goal when others are reluctant - Coxy, you listening?? The introduction of McG and Robinson caused them a few problems, and we really should have put the game to bed, but for a horrendous miss by Theo which meant a nervous final 5 mins.

Few player comments;
Ox - solid display, seems to be developing into a good shop stopper, but maybe needs to work on comms (see Anton comment)..
Demi - Marmite player for a lot of fans, personally I think he's great - had a good game last night and never stops running
Anton - Looks completely shot, needs a rest. Indecision almost cost us a goal. He now worries me, but who comes in? John White maybe...
Wright - First time I've seen him, and very impressed I am too. He has that 'Lenny-esque' determination about his game and like Lenny covered a lot of space last night.
Ranger - Persistantly had his shirt tugged by their No5, without any help from the ref. Didn't really have a lot of success going forward, but did actually defend well with a couple of crucial headed clearances. Personally I think he's most effective coming from deep with the ball at his feet than in the air.

So, onto Blackpool - which will be another tough old game.

Only 5 points off the playoffs!

UTB!

A scrappy, low quality game which we were fortunate to win.

But hey, who cares?!?! 3 points and 2 wins in a row, onwards and upwards from here.

What were our (unbiased) views on the McGlashan penalty shout? Looked a certainty to me.

From the camera angle on iFollow it looked inconclusive, factor in the lack of appeals from any other blues player and it made the decision relatively straight forward from the referee.

I am extremely happy to have not played the best last night but to come away with 3 points. We deserved a bit of luck. That being said I felt we could drawn that or even lost it. When we went 1 nil up, straight away Brown changed the system and turned us into ultra defensive. This was extremely risky and we were fortunate to have not conceded. This was Browns instructions and IMO he nearly cost us the game by making this call. We can't defend that well at the best of times so I have no idea why he decided to go down this route.

Well if there was ever a case of win ugly...

that said, I thoroughly enjoyed the game last night. Battles going on all over the pitch, some interesting refereeing decisions again, and it could have gone either way. Wimbledon are a big, frustrating and slightly intimidating side, really hard to play against, and they did exactly what I expected. They came as spoilers, they disrupted, hassled and pushed, pulled and manhandled, annoyingly they can also play a bit which showed when they started to get a toehold on the game. We started out well, then got sucked in to their tactics and resorted to hoofball at times. More positives than negatives, we need to sort out some of the silly mistakes at the back, and we are good. Just as well Lady Luck stayed on our side! Let our season begin.

Oxley 7 not much to do really, made a couple of decent saves, solid. Did have to laugh when a vicious shot came out of nowhere and smacked him square on the chest. Not sure he saw it coming, and it
looked as though it could have taken a smaller man into the net with it! Just as well he is big and strong...!

Demitriou 8 looks dangerous going forward, and looked like he has been playing with Josh Wright forever. The two of them were causing all sorts of problems. Edged MOM with a well deserved goal!

Anton 6 may be suffering a bit with niggling injury, but more importantly I still think he is going through the motions and it's his emotional state that isn't right. That is totally understandable, but his performance is suffering as a result. Doing a great job with little pointers and encouragement for young Kyps, who is improving every game.

Kyprianou 7 looks assured and confident, a few mistakes, but is learning quickly. He will be giving Brown a serious selection headache when the rest of the defence is fit! Definately a contender for most improved young player.

Timlin 6 much as I love Tims, he is not a full back! Their no 33 was running rings round him. Some good tackles, definately up for the battle, and did as much as he could. Disappointed that he wasn't making inroads to exploit the huge gaps that McLaughlin was finding, but he invariably sent the ball over to the right towards Wright rather than slot the ball straight ahead to use the space. But he looked much better when he went back into Midfield. Sadly, think he will start to be missing from the lineup when Coker is fit, as no room for him in midfield when you have Wordy, Kightly, Leonard, McLaughlin and Wright all fit!

Wright 7.5 excellent home debut, and a great addition to the team. Looked as though he has been playing with us for a long time, fitted straight in and instantly started creating problems for their defence. I think he could be an even bigger signing for us than Kightly

Lenny 8 usual powerhouse performance, solid, dependable and put himself on the line. He faded a bit into the background because he is not having to do all the work himself in midfield, but that isn't to say he faded out of the game, just meant that he could quietly get on with doing a fantastic job of controlling the midfield.

Wordsworth 7 adds that special something to the team, even though he is not yet fully match fit. Noticed he had an ice pack strapped to his thigh when he came back onto the pitch after the final whistle. Precautionary hopefully.

McLaughlin 7 faded in and out, was consistently in the right place, but wasn't being given the ball as often as he should have, particularly by Timlin. Shame, as there was a lot of space on that left flank, as their defence was being kept busy by Ranger. Strong runs, and good defensive cover.

Cox 7 played a bit deep for my liking. Like the Duracell bunny, he just keeps on running. Was a bit baffled by the early substitution for Theo, as he was doing okay but just not getting through to get on the end of some lovely knock downs from Ranger. The substitution makes sense in hindsight as we have another big game on Saturday, and Theo's speed gave their defence something else to think about.

Ranger 7 spend most of the game as a magnet for 3 of their defenders, who were clinging to him like ivy on a tree! Very strong in the air, big and imposing presence, and made some powerful challenges. Was a bit surprised that he stayed on for the full 90, but figured that the best way of him building his match fitness is by playing full games. Think he had a bit of a talking to after Saturday, as he seemed a bit subdued- maybe it was the new, more tidy hair braids give a better, more in control impression!

Subs -

Theo 7 very fast, seems to be lacking confidence with his final touch. Hopefully this will come back soon!
MgLashan 7 that was a penalty every time. Why the ref didn't give it is one of life's bigger mysteries.
White 7.5 still can't quite figure what John White is doing on the bench. Very versatile defender, vastly experienced and can play anywhere on the back line. We looked far more solid when he came on, his downfall, like many big defenders is a lack of speed, but positioning is spot on.

Oppo's summary ;

Neal Ardley believes that results will turn for his players if they can maintain the performance levels shown in recent matches.
Speaking after the 1-0 defeat at Roots Hall, Neal stated his satisfaction with the overall display, but expressed his frustration with a failure to take chances and the manner of Southend's winning goal.
"We played really well in the first-half with a game-plan that we had worked on the day before," said Neal. "Against a decent side in this league – a potential top-six side – we limited them in the first-half. We had our chances to go 2-0 up by half-time and that would probably have been about right. Then in the second-half they put a ball into our box, we clear our lines and the next part is a car crash. We do not deal with it, we try to flick the ball away and lose it, and then it is a skewed cross that goes in at the near post. That is the way for us at the moment.
"I cannot keep making excuses. The performance was very good and the game plan was carried out very well. We have to just keep going and it will turn for us. Goals will create confidence and we just have to keep doing the right things. Confidence will come when they start going in. In the last three or four games we have created loads of chances. There has been nothing wrong with the team performances - the effort and intensity - but it is just that finishing touch. It is better to be feeling that way, rather than searching for ways that you are going to get those chances.
"It is really tough to take (the goal conceded). I am furious, but it's difficult because they boys have given everything. They have given a good performance, but we are walking away with no points and that annoys me. I don't like losing."

Oppo's summary ;

Neal Ardley believes that results will turn for his players if they can maintain the performance levels shown in recent matches.
Speaking after the 1-0 defeat at Roots Hall, Neal stated his satisfaction with the overall display, but expressed his frustration with a failure to take chances and the manner of Southend's winning goal.
"We played really well in the first-half with a game-plan that we had worked on the day before," said Neal. "Against a decent side in this league – a potential top-six side – we limited them in the first-half. We had our chances to go 2-0 up by half-time and that would probably have been about right. Then in the second-half they put a ball into our box, we clear our lines and the next part is a car crash. We do not deal with it, we try to flick the ball away and lose it, and then it is a skewed cross that goes in at the near post. That is the way for us at the moment.
"I cannot keep making excuses. The performance was very good and the game plan was carried out very well. We have to just keep going and it will turn for us. Goals will create confidence and we just have to keep doing the right things. Confidence will come when they start going in. In the last three or four games we have created loads of chances. There has been nothing wrong with the team performances - the effort and intensity - but it is just that finishing touch. It is better to be feeling that way, rather than searching for ways that you are going to get those chances.
"It is really tough to take (the goal conceded). I am furious, but it's difficult because they boys have given everything. They have given a good performance, but we are walking away with no points and that annoys me. I don't like losing."

Can't argue with that. An extremely tough, hard-working and well-organised side albeit lacking a cutting edge (not that we can talk). On that performance they will finish comfortably mid-table

Good to read something where the oppo manager doesn't blame all and sundry for the defeat! :thumbsup:

Absolutely delightful ball from Kyprianou to Robinson late on, shame Robinson couldn't finish.

I really like Kyprianou, does a great job at CB, always so composed and gives 100% into everything. Sometimes his passes don't meet the target but he has good vision in the passes he makes

As his confidence increases, Kyprianou is really growing into the role. He's still liable to make the odd mistake, but so are we all. He could be a real asset to this club.

Yeah you must have been at a different game, Ranger was good and deserved an 8..he got fouled all over the place and he kept going and worked hard.

It's funny because (on the field) his temperament is exceptional. He gets dealt some pretty poor treatment and just soaks it up without any real complaint...

As his confidence increases, Kyprianou is really growing into the role. He's still liable to make the odd mistake, but so are we all. He could be a real asset to this club.
agree with this... without mistakes he would be at a higher club...

Think you were at the same game as me to be honest mate. I agree that some of the ratings for Ranger for last night are ridiculously generous. I was shocked when Cox came off as I thought he’d played pretty well last night and Ranger wasn’t winning enough of his headers. I also thought Cox and Robinson might work better as a partnership at that stage of a game. Cox was dropping deep and playing some nice balls through but Ranger hasn’t got the same pace as Theo and I would like to have seen how they got on.

One thing’s for certain, we definitely need to exploit the pace of Glash and Theo more. Play more balls inside the full backs and give those two something to chase.

I understand why you think that, but I think it was the right decision. Cox was being forced to come deep for the ball, and was then surrounded by yellow shirts, making it difficult for him to be effective. Taking him off and bringing on Robinson meant that the Wimbledon defense was stretched, therefore giving Ranger more of a chance of winning his headers. Up until that point they always had someone in front and someone behind him, making it very difficult for him to win any headers.

After that they didn't. However, we also scored about 5 minutes after the substitution so the game was stretched at that point anyway as Wimbledon had to venture forward in greater numbers. That meant we didn't really have time to see if the substitution was successful.

Back