• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What were our (unbiased) views on the McGlashan penalty shout? Looked a certainty to me.
I thought he dived, or at the very least stumbled over himself, he seemed to go down before the defender was anywhere near him from my view in the West. We didn't protest much which makes me think the players didn't think it was a penalty. I'd like to see it again though.

What I did like last night was Demi was allowed to go forward a lot more, causing problems. Full credit to Wright for dropping into the RB slot on numerous occasions to cover. Good link up between Demi and Wright too. Looking good

What I did like last night was Demi was allowed to go forward a lot more, causing problems. Full credit to Wright for dropping into the RB slot on numerous occasions to cover. Good link up between Demi and Wright too. Looking good

It was pleasing to see such an intelligent player out there....could be a very good signing.

It was pleasing to see such an intelligent player out there....could be a very good signing.

Yep. Has that bit of quality that makes him a better version of Will Atkinson.

I hear he takes a good penalty, as well! :winking::thumbsup:

Think he'll score a lot of goals, as well.

If McGlash had looked up for 2 seconds on that breakaway, he could have played him in for the second goal.

Think he'll score a lot of goals, as well.

If McGlash had looked up for 2 seconds on that breakaway, he could have played him in for the second goal.

I don't think he'll score many playing that wide, but when Woody gets injured again we'll see him score more from his favoured central midfield.

Oppo's summary ;

Neal Ardley believes that results will turn for his players if they can maintain the performance levels shown in recent matches.
Speaking after the 1-0 defeat at Roots Hall, Neal stated his satisfaction with the overall display, but expressed his frustration with a failure to take chances and the manner of Southend's winning goal.
"We played really well in the first-half with a game-plan that we had worked on the day before," said Neal. "Against a decent side in this league – a potential top-six side – we limited them in the first-half. We had our chances to go 2-0 up by half-time and that would probably have been about right. Then in the second-half they put a ball into our box, we clear our lines and the next part is a car crash. We do not deal with it, we try to flick the ball away and lose it, and then it is a skewed cross that goes in at the near post. That is the way for us at the moment.
"I cannot keep making excuses. The performance was very good and the game plan was carried out very well. We have to just keep going and it will turn for us. Goals will create confidence and we just have to keep doing the right things. Confidence will come when they start going in. In the last three or four games we have created loads of chances. There has been nothing wrong with the team performances - the effort and intensity - but it is just that finishing touch. It is better to be feeling that way, rather than searching for ways that you are going to get those chances.
"It is really tough to take (the goal conceded). I am furious, but it's difficult because they boys have given everything. They have given a good performance, but we are walking away with no points and that annoys me. I don't like losing."

To little to late?

Worked on just the day before = lastminute .com

Oppo's summary ;

Neal Ardley believes that results will turn for his players if they can maintain the performance levels shown in recent matches.
Speaking after the 1-0 defeat at Roots Hall, Neal stated his satisfaction with the overall display, but expressed his frustration with a failure to take chances and the manner of Southend's winning goal.
"We played really well in the first-half with a game-plan that we had worked on the day before," said Neal. "Against a decent side in this league – a potential top-six side – we limited them in the first-half. We had our chances to go 2-0 up by half-time and that would probably have been about right. Then in the second-half they put a ball into our box, we clear our lines and the next part is a car crash. We do not deal with it, we try to flick the ball away and lose it, and then it is a skewed cross that goes in at the near post. That is the way for us at the moment.
"I cannot keep making excuses. The performance was very good and the game plan was carried out very well. We have to just keep going and it will turn for us. Goals will create confidence and we just have to keep doing the right things. Confidence will come when they start going in. In the last three or four games we have created loads of chances. There has been nothing wrong with the team performances - the effort and intensity - but it is just that finishing touch. It is better to be feeling that way, rather than searching for ways that you are going to get those chances.
"It is really tough to take (the goal conceded). I am furious, but it's difficult because they boys have given everything. They have given a good performance, but we are walking away with no points and that annoys me. I don't like losing."

To little to late?

Worked on just the day before = lastminute .com

Ok,

Oxley - 7, looked assured and made himself "big" at the right moments. Kicking was more direct and less wastefully just pumped up for Ranger all the time
Demetriou - 8, being benched has worked some real magic, he's come alive and is showing much better awareness and ability. Linked very well with both Wright and McGlashan
Ferdinand - 5, needs to be rested, touch was poor and he was so slow. Maybe a season too far for him. With White, and soon Kiernan, I think we need to change things at the centre of defence
Kyprianou - 7, made a few mistakes but is still learning and definitely improving, easily the pick of the two central defenders - and stood out more by having Timlin the other side too
Timlin - 5, got mugged off a couple of times far too easily. He's not a LB and we shouldn't be using him there when we have two perfectly good options on the bench
Wright - 8, very impressed with his home debut, reminded me a lot of our last blonde CM
Lenny - 8.5, Ron needs to get breaking the bank to offer him a contract he can't say no to! Ran the show but in an under-stated way so that many won't have noticed fully. Thrives on having some others around him who can also defend (Wright) and create (Woody)
Wordsworth - 7, he's had that ice-pack on after every game so far when coming off. Was worried about him playing a 2nd game so close to the previous one. His usual work rate and passing accuracy, just missed with a great free kick in the 1st half
McLaughlin - 7, he always has that ability to pop up with a goal that you don't always see from McGlashan, suffering from not having Coker (or Hendrie) at LB to over lap with
Cox - 6, dropping far too deep far too often, it's just not necessary now with the midfield we have. Consequently, not where he should be for Ranger's flick ons
Ranger - 7, clearly refs don't like him, he got nothing out of the ref despite the constant shirt pulling, nudging and having one of their defenders make a clear back for him to go over

Subs:
Robinson for Cox - 7, thought he did ok, right change for me, stronger and more direct than Cox going forward
McGlashan for McLaughlin - 7, he does look up when he runs, it's just the final ball (judgement?) lets him down. As I said earlier in the thread, one text book brilliant track back and tackle
White for Woody - 7, soaked up a lot of pressure in the time he was on and definitely helped out Harry

Lady Luck was with us for once.

Those first 15 minutes were the best I've seen all season. It's a shame they couldn't be sustained but confidence is brewing. Fergie always said it's about winning games when you're not playing well... If that makes us 'lucky' oh well... A few mentions.

Kyprianou - He lost possession with some more difficult passes which was frustrating and then plays the pass of the match to feed in Robinson late on... Something tells me his got it in his locker he's just a bit hesitate, based on another thread and comments from GC the club are well aware of that.

Robinson - There's been a real improvement in Theo the last few home games. He manages to get into some good position, if he could just hit the target we might have a player on our hands.

Timlin - He is playing out of position but I would expect him to approach the game with more caution. A few times he dived in to tackles and was too tight and easily turned... In CM Lenny will most likely be covering, worst case they're running at the back four. In LB, they're in behind, Kyprianou needs to come over and that's going to make a space somewhere.

Wright - He had a great game, but one detail on top of everything he done wright was that he'd play a pass without needing the ball under control which is so important if you're trying to play at high tempo or raise the tempo of the game.

Wright - He had a great game, but one detail on top of everything he done wright was that he'd play a pass without needing the ball under control which is so important if you're trying to play at high tempo or raise the tempo of the game.

Good point.

We were in the East Greens and in the first half, able to see the one-touch passing and movement with Demi, which was top quality.

Back