• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Taters123,

It's 5.

6 if you include Robinson.

Actually we have scored the same as Blackburn (6th) we would have bettered them, if they did'nt smack Pompey 3-0 today!

Also scored more than than Scunthorpe in (8th).

It's conceding goals, that's our problem.

Agreed that defence is a major problem, but my point is out of 19 goals scored in the league, only 4 have been scored by strikers. At this rate, the strikers will score around 16 in 46 games, which is poor what every way you look at it. It also puts more pressure on the defence in turn

Two moments of brilliance actually:

1. Leonard's 70 yard sprint to deny an almost certain Bury goal.
2. Leonard's second half winner.

Just how good is he and, without him, where would we be?

Keep saying it - break the bank in offering him a contract he can't refuse. Probably the best all round player I've seen at Roots Hall.

One way and another, I didn't see too much of the game, but what I did see, apart from Lenny, I thought Wright, Demi and Fortune seemed to have a fair bit about themselves out on the pitch. The fact Oxley again delivered a confident performance means we might have a tendency to overlook his contribution - if he was Bentley no doubt we'd all be positively orgasmic, hey ho, that's the problem with following someone who is "one of our own".

Can't give scores today, didn't see enough.

Oxley 7 - did fine, though not a notable save to make.

Demetriou 7 - Did well going forward, Bury's lack of threat helped defensively.
White 7 - Did nothing wrong and he got stuck in when needed.
Ferdinand 6 - Seemed under orders to play safety first and did that okay.
Timlin 5 - Whilst better than Tuesday he still looked out of place. That poor free kick that led to a clear chance was unforgivable.

Wright 7 - Impressed with him defensively, he offers naff all going forward though.
Leonard 9 MOM - Won us the game today, a fantastic challenge after Timlin's F Up, plus a cracking goal too :Worthy:
Wordworth 6 - Played some nice one touch stuff without any real impact.
Kightly 5 - First half, largely anonymous, second half, messed up two good chances by overplaying. You're not Messi Kights, just shoot!

Cox 5 - Terrible first half, every touch seemed to go to a Bury player. Much better after the break, probably should have scored from that corner, the chance from the edge of the box was an awful shot too.
Fortune 7 - Best player in the first half, he looked full of energy too, odd that he was subbed.

Subs

Ranger 6 - Put himself about and won a fair few headers. Did well eating up time in the corner too.
Robinson - no time to rate.
McLaughlin 7 - So much better than Tuesday, put in two great low crosses that no one gambled on. Good stuff playing out time with Ranger too.

Horrible game, dominated by the wind and poor pitch. Having said that, there were some positives.

Ferdinand was back and was... well, as he should be. No sign of any injury, looked back to how he was last year.

Leonard was back in his proper position and illustrated the benefit twice - once with a huge run back over 3/4 length of the pitch to block a shot and then the winning goal.

We won and got 3 points and despite being 13th, are only 3 points off the play offs.

We aren't Bury. What a mess they are in.

However - on the flip side -

Timlin is still left back and although he was a tad better, Hendrie now isn't anywhere near the team (wasn't even on the bench). I've heard it is a severe mental/confidence problem.

Kightly's much lauded return by PB - "He's been unlocking so many doors in training this week it was a no brainer not to put him straight in" - was a disappointing affair and consisted of an unfit MK frequently not beating the first man with a cross, overplaying it and trying to be too clever and take that extra touch.

The pitch - playing worse than ever. Bumpy, spongy, huge divots and lumps being ripped up... embarrassing.

Not much to report on the game other than the fact that a cracking goal won the game and deservedly so.

Ratings

Lenny 9
Ferdinand 8
Kightly 4
Timlin 5

Everyone else 6

Update - have now heard Hendrie took a knock in training which was why we wasn't in the squad.

Last edited:
Knew when walking in to the ground that it was going to be a dreadful game of football today, with the wind the way it was. Damn near impossible to play a decent match with that weather + the pitch. On days like this all you can hope for is to get the 3 points, which we did! :clap:

It was hard enough walking back to the car let alone playing a match in that weather! Clearly had an effect on our game so think that people are being a bit over the top with criticisms of the way we played today.

Leonard was brilliant as usual and Fortune was probably our best attacking player until Ranger came on, who really made a difference off the bench. Was disappointed to see Fortune come off but I think the substitutions today had a positive impact in the end.

Nowhere near as bad as some have made out when you consider the conditions. Plenty of positives. Thought Anton marshalled Beckford very well, Chris Maguire had very little influence. Bury looked a poor side but let's not pretend these aren't players that can hurt you.

We have been suffering all season from a lack of confidence throughout the team, which stems from the lack of a settled defence and the subsequent cheap goals we've been conceding. Today we looked far more robust, didn't concede and won in strong winds.

It wasn't a classic but all who were there will have enjoyed a great, late winning goal. It's 4 points out of 6 from a week where we continue to have a makeshift back line (I happen to think a draw vs a top-6 Posh side on Tuesday with two midfielders in the back line is not a bad result).

Like it or not, we are treading water while the defence is like this. We still have an unsuited left back (Timlin was poor today but he remains a fish out of water, and why was Hendrie not on the bench?), we are down to the bare bones in defence and it is affecting the whole team. The rest of the side will never reach its full potential while we have square pegs in round holes and ever-shifting personnel at the back.

For now, every win takes us closer to 52 points. And personally if you can't enjoy an 85th minute winner from 25 yards and go home happy, you should probably support someone else.

Keep saying it - break the bank in offering him a contract he can't refuse.

Perhaps we can do that mind rubber thing from Men in Black where he can't remember anything and we can tell him we're a Championship side. Because until we are, he won't be signing anything and rightly so, he deserves a shot at a higher level.

For players like Lenny, it's not about the money. And even if we do break the bank, any Championship club can offer twice what we can, given the spread of the TV money.

Chump, why mention Barcelona. You know exactly what I mean by better opposition so stop making yourself look stupid with pathetic responses

Chump!!!? Ever heard of hyperbole? - Exaggeration to make a point?

P.S. You really need to change your name. I knew David Webb and his family quiet well, he was never a Dave.

Clearly no brain and little knowledge.

You seemed to be. I was asking for entertainment; you replied if I want perfection watch Barcelona.
Win or lose without entertaiment less people will be going to support SUFC ,they probably figure they get more entertainment watch local football at Southchurch Park.Goals are what makes a game more exciting ,sod the blank sheet idea ,win 4-3 play attacking football not defensive.

I've seen one entertaining 1-0 game against Bury in my lifetime. I can treasure that at the same time as enjoying 3 points yesterday. Plenty have proven in the past at all levels of the game that you can have the best squad but that guarantees nothing. Using the injury excuse works while the squad has injuries but means that sooner or later PB needs to push on. Wins breed confidence so we will see if it happens now.

Two moments of brilliance actually:

1. Leonard's 70 yard sprint to deny an almost certain Bury goal.
2. Leonard's second half winner.

Just how good is he and, without him, where would we be?

cant disagree with all the comments re Lenny, without doubt our most influential player for a number of seasons. Can't see him staying unless a few small miracles happen and we are a championship team in May.

a few observations from me on yesterday's game.

I dont think the wind wind and the state of the pitch helped, for me our lacklustre showing is more fundamental. Still a very welcome 3 points, and probably the goal of the season!

With the the notable exception of Timlin, who is a fish out of water at LB, I thought our defence looked pretty solid yesterday. Oxley made some super saves again, I had Demi as my MOM, White put in a typical unassuming and very impressive performance and the quality we know Anton can deliver is back! Pretty good show.

our much bigger issue is midfield. Not in the quality of our players, as we have a very talented group. I think the far bigger problem is one of positioning. Timlin kept wandering into his preferred left of midfield, leaving a huge hole on the left flank, and was crowding out Wordsworth and to an extent, Kightly. We ended up with all our midfield tripping over one another, chasing the same balls, and leaving us with very few options to get the ball out to the wings and forward to Cox and Fortune / Ranger. It also explains why Cox keeps dropping deep, to try and retrieve the ball and take it in the right direction. I suspect that is why we end up resorting to the hopeful hoof up the field, almost bypassing the middle and freeing up some space. The problem with this is we don't really have an effective target when Ranger isn't playing, and he is better with the ball at his feet anyway. This problem was obvious yesterday, as the contrast between Tuesday night showed that we had a better balance in the middle on Tuesday.

Which then leaves the huge dilemma - you can't possibly leave Lenny out of the side, and we ought to be building the midfield around him. If he leaves in the transfer window, we have enough talent to survive (i am not saying he wouldn't be missed, because it would be a bit of a disaster if he goes). However, while we have the luxury of having Lenny, Wordy, Kightly, McLaughlin, Josh Wright and young Yearwood coming through we do need to create a system that allows them to really thrive, when what we are seeing is them all tripping over each other. Much as I like Timlin as a player, his extended run at LB is becoming increasingly ill-conceived and I don't think there is space in the midfield for him now, regardless of whether Lenny leaves or not. To my mind, if you fix the issues in midfield, you also get a system that also delivers decent service to Cox and Ranger that they can get on the end of.

i personally think that this will get sorted, apparently Coker's recovery is on track, so hopefully we will have him back by Christmas. He is actually the key to balance, and I think the reason we haven't managed to get a grip on a settled system.

I certainly think that we played better in the 2nd half and did create some good 1/2 chances without really looking too great.

Lenny as man of the match was an easy and sensible choice. Good play from MAF, Wright is improving (better fitness perhaps), Oxley looks reliable, Demmy came forward well and a mention for Whitey (even if he did fluff a free header).

Strange to see (and hear) 2 managers side by side micro-managing their respective teams.

Just a small complaint that we spent the last 5 minutes in the corner instead of going for a 2nd goal.
This hits the nail on the head for me.

Being micro managed is awful to experience and takes away all ambition as well as creativity and willingness to be supportive.

I was micro managed in my last job and found it stifling.... and I wanted away. The manager was replaced, the replacement was much better and achieved more, but the damage was done as I and others had fallen out of love with company. We no longer work for them, perhaps this is the case with Lenny and others too?

Last edited:
I was in the centre circle lounge, so didn't have 100% eye on the match at times. I prefer to do ratings if I've seen the whole match.

That said, I agree with a lot of the above and the two highlights of the match definitely came from Lenny.

The game reminded me of the home game against Chesterfield around the same time last season where we looked a little disjointed and Adam Thompson popped up with the only goal. Ironically, that result was after a 1-1 draw at home to Peterborough in the previous match, as well.

From there, we went to MK Dons and won 3-0 and went on a run of great form. Hopefully the omens are good.

13th and unbeaten at home, for me, makes up for some poorer results away from home, but it would be good to push on from here now.

The game wasn't great. Not helped by various factors, but a win is a win. The clean sheet was very timely.

One last thing. Chris Maguire, why oh why did you join Bury?! :facepalm:

I was in the centre circle lounge, so didn't have 100% eye on the match at times. I prefer to do ratings if I've seen the whole match.

That said, I agree with a lot of the above and the two highlights of the match definitely came from Lenny.

The game reminded me of the home game against Chesterfield around the same time last season where we looked a little disjointed and Adam Thompson popped up with the only goal. Ironically, that result was after a 1-1 draw at home to Peterborough in the previous match, as well.

From there, we went to MK Dons and won 3-0 and went on a run of great form. Hopefully the omens are good.

13th and unbeaten at home, for me, makes up for some poorer results away from home, but it would be good to push on from here now.

The game wasn't great. Not helped by various factors, but a win is a win. The clean sheet was very timely.

One last thing. Chris Maguire, why oh why did you join Bury?! :facepalm:

Same as Adam Thompson......for the money.

Agreed, but he is good enough to hold out and play at Championship level and certainly in a side that utilizes his strengths.

FWIW, I thought Bury, with the exception of Greg Leigh, were pretty poor and were exactly the same last season.

Although we never made anything of it yesterday, one positive for me compared to previous seasons, is that on a few occasions when Kightly or Demi had it out wide , we had 4 in the box. 2 strikers , plus Wright and Wordy.
As I say , it came to nothing yesterday but think we now have a midfield that can get forward to support the strikers

Back