• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-0 Fleetwood Town

Fleetwood were not a bad side or a weak team, I think they will be around the play offs. They are a senior team with lots of experience and will be hard to beat but also won't score very many from open play. We have played worse sides and lost (Donny) so let's take the points, NO further injuries and a few lessons learnt. I was disappointed with Cox's yellow card and I suspect he got it from the ref just to make a point that keeping being mouthy was annoying him (the ref).
I sit near the dug outs and watching Joey, he was imo better than most managers in his attitude to the game and the officials.

Very pleasing result and IMO a better performance than some have suggested.

At 2pm on the train I was a bit worried as I thought it was potentially a big risk to change systems, especially given that presumably Bunn's injury happened late in the week and I always think 3-5-2 needs working on in training before implementing it. On the odd occasion when Tilly and Sturrock tried it at short notice, it was hopeless, and it was a stop-gap solution for PB.

But by the time I got to the ground I realised it was a fairly logical decision based on Bunn and Kightly being out, McLaughlin being out of form, and Demi and Coker being suited to playing higher up the pitch.

In the early period Fleetwood threatened to hurt us with counter-attacks and dangerous balls into the box and Turner had to stretch every inch of his 10 ft frame to clear one of them when it looked a certain goal. Largely, though, we were in control and played some good stuff. The tempo was slower but on most occasions our patient possession got us into good areas albeit without reward or conviction. Presumably Joey Barton didn't realise we were going to change shape so it was no surprise when he made a half-time sub to sort things out.

Nevertheless, we were largely dominant in the second half as well and even though we had to rely on a gift from Bolger we still deserved to win. I can't deny being nervous in the last 10 minutes or so as we dropped off but we weren't severely tested.

Pleased for Stockdale to end his spell with a clean sheet and I can't think of any real negatives. Our back three were commanding and Moore looks a quality player. Demi and Coker carried out their roles calmly and effectively, Cox slotted into the attacking midfield role easily, with both Mantom and Dieng enjoying great games and Theo and Hopper ran themselves into the ground.

The McClousky sub may have seemed pointless but it's a good way to break up the game in the closing stages. Klass looked promising, has great potential.

Whether we stick with 3-5-2 is another question but it's a good option and perhaps a solution for when Dru returns. Bring on Wycombe, the beast that is Akinfenwa, the cocky git Jacobson, and er, our third strip. :Whistling:

Really liked the change in formation. I'm a fan of the 352, think it's fluid and works well with great wingbacks and was impressed by both, especially Coker.

As others have said, the 3 players who stood out head and shoulders above the rest were down the spine, Moore, Dieng and Cox. Just like the Peterborough game, Cox was on a different wavelength to most on the pitch. I know he's never really been a clinical 20 goal a season striker, but his awareness of others around him, runs and creativity really are fantastic. Pleased he got a goal. Was hoping to get a glimpse of Drew, but Klass showed some nice touches. Good blend of experienced players coming back and to have youngsters like Drew and Klass knocking on the door too. A decent result on Saturday to build and suddenly things are looking a hell of a lot brighter.

I think its their keeper we should thank rather than Bolger. Why give that ball to your CB in that position. Even more credit should go to Theo for his sharp work.

The full interview was on YouTube for a short while yesterday. About ten minutes of it. Then it got deleted. He talked a lot about the team's preparations being ruined, etc and the sickness bug, with a fair bit of humour.. yes he thought they should have had a point, but he refused to blame his players for the combined error. The defender who suggested with a gesture to the goalkeeper that he should roll the ball to Bolger, or the goalie who did it, or Bolger who was not awake to the marauding Theo. He said it was a team mistake. Decent non blame culture, which one of their supporters had pointed out is one of the teams strengths this year. I thought it was a decent interview. No sour grapes... A bit different to a lot of managers' post match comments. I was quite impressed...

SOUTHEND United striker Simon Cox silenced his critics by firing the Shrimpers back to winning ways against Fleetwood Town on Saturday.

More...

One thing I would add is that although we were happy to defend for the last ten minutes, we did so by defending high up the pitch. We weren't camped in our own half struggling to get out, we pressed them well and didn't allow them to build any sustained pressure.

SOUTHEND United’s narrow win against Fleetwood Town was certainly not the prettiest of victories – but it could yet be remembered as one of the most precious.

More...

Back