• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-0 Fleetwood Town

We ground out a win, I like the shape of the team, but somewhere the balance is not quite right. We need players back to give CP some more options. A win breeds confidence, so onwards and upwards. Did not expect much from the ref and some of the decisions by him and the West Stand lino were laughable. However if we'd lost perhaps they would not have been so laughable.

It really wasn't pretty to watch and we weren't great, but 3 points and a clean sheet, so we've got to be happy. Everyone worked hard though and we fully deserved the win against a surprisingly poor Fleetwood side. Dieng was the best player on the pitch by a country mile. Great to get back to winning ways before two tough away games.

Great result team. My beer will taste so much better. And its nice not to have a rant this week. Keep up the good work lads.

Stockdale 6
Demi 7.5
Coker 6.5
Turner 6.5
White 6.5
Moore 7
Mantom 6
Dieng 8
Robinson 6.5
Cox 7
Hopper 7

No one had a bad game. Great 3 points

I think Stockdale must have been a very popular character with the other players as I noticed they all were making a point of hugging him at the end of the game which of course was his last for us.

We ground out a win, I like the shape of the team, but somewhere the balance is not quite right. We need players back to give CP some more options. A win breeds confidence, so onwards and upwards. Did not expect much from the ref and some of the decisions by him and the West Stand lino were laughable. However if we'd lost perhaps they would not have been so laughable.

East stand lino was poor too and failed to notice several fouls, especially on Hopper, which went on right in front of him.

We didn't seem to have much a game plan and the wing-back system was strange as we just seemed to surpass them completely by hoofing the ball either wide for Robinson to chase or to Hopper's head.

The "game plan" was to target Bolger and force errors - I'd say it worked perfectly! One of the players told us this before kick off.

Interesting to see a different formation, one which suited Coker, in particular, really well. I had him our MOTM first half. Good to see our three central defenders coping well with the wiles of Ched Evans and great to see three forwards chasing things down at the other end.

One thing that really irks me is when the opposition has a corner, if Theo is staying up then let him stay up, and let's keep him moving on the half way line to confound the defenders staying with him - make them work, make them wonder.

Stockdale - 7, best game I've seen him have for us
Demetriou - 7, energetic and battled hard
White - 7, solid
Turner - 7, also solid
Moore - 7.5, impressive performance, set up really suited him. He was composed and confident throughout
Coker - 8, best performance for some time, never stopped probing and taunting
Mantom - 7, did ok, still need someone to put some tackles in in the middle
Dieng - 8.5, MOTM, classy performance, winning headers everywhere, great player to have defending the goal line too
Cox - 7.5, good performance, dogged and determined, deserved his goal
Hopper - 7, worked very hard, pummelled and squashed and foulled constantly
Robinson - 7.5, his energy and speed scared Fleetwood and you could see this tactic was employed really well

Subs:
Klass for Robinson - 6, thought this really unsettled us as it made us change formation, which threw a few of our players
McCoulskey for Hopper - pointless substitution, no time for him to do anything

Officials - so-so, some good, some bad. Some frustrating decisions, some baffling.

Kightly, and Bunn available next game? Any changes do we think?

Absolutely not, especially away from home. Today's formation worked. It strengthened our defence and we weren't overrun in midfield. I thought Demetriou and Coker took to their wing back roles well. None of our wingers have actually torn apart any defences so far this season and have all been lightweight in their defensive duties so I'd persist with this. This formation allows Cox to play deeper so we get the best from him. Theo was a real annoyance for the Fleetwood defence … especially for the goal! Hopper had a typically frustrating game, being pulled and held but getting no help from the officials. Dieng was my MoM, really dominant in midfield and got better as the game went on. Mantom was fine first half, apart from messing up that gift of a goal-scoring opportunity, but his lack of fitness showed up second half. An astute substitution bringing on Klass … he played well, didn't look out of place at all. Of the back three, White and Turner did a good tidy job but Moore caught the eye with that bit of extra pace and some useful passes. Stockdale couldn't have had an easier game for his last one with us. I bet he's relieved not to have been here for three defeats out of three.

Stockdale 6 (only cos he had next to nothing to do)
Demi 7
Coker 7
Turner 7
White 7
Moore 8
Mantom 6
Dieng 9
Robinson 8
Cox 7
Hopper 6

Subs
Klass 7
McCoulsky How can you give a rating for someone who comes on 2 mins into added time?

Special mention for the West Stand lino who took the standard we witness each match to an all time low.

Yes he milked the foul on him near the end really well and threw himself to the ground after making routine catches which used up valuable seconds. Perhaps 6 was a bit harsh as he looked very confident apart from one crazy punch first half.

Ok, just back...a messy game, no way a classic, probably just what the team needed..3 points.

My stars, Demi, Moore ....looking good.. :Think:...Dieng and Cox.

Theo ran his legs off.

Klass looked confident and McCaulsky should've been given longer than 4 mins of injury time IMO.

Ref and West side Lino had a mare...throw ins given to the wrong team, Hopper has to be the Fleetwood captain's BFF...the amount of times he climbed all over him in a public place was obscene !

Was there a decent penalty shout for them towards the end ...handball? Looked like it to me...

I get 3 points are vitally important, but CP, we were living very dangerously by shutting up shop with 10 mins to go.

2 opportunities corner and free kick, to put it in the box, apply some pressure...or to sky it into row Z were declined and we gave the ball away cheaply..putting us under undue pressure....not good for the nerves !!

And finally, a big thank-you to ;

Rebecca in Commercial dept :Worthy:
Shelley in the Club shop :Happy: &
OBL for her helpful advice..:Highfive:.

These ladies helped me to get a Dru Yearwood signed home shirt (all done within 72 hours), for my son for his birthday...plus selfies of the geezer himself....all picked up today...:Clap:

You were all great :Smile:

Stocky 6.......thought he'd be better than that with his pedigree, no better than the Ox although his quick kicks to the lone forward is maybe something for Ox to work on as he is a natural kicker but a slow one.
Cokes 6.5.....got up and down and didn't miss Macca
Mary Tyler Moore 8.5....at last a defender that can also play a bit
Dimi 6....done ok up and down but is he really that paceless?
White 6.5 doing a decent job...keeep hoofing
Turner 7....a decent defender when not making vital mistakes
Mantom 8 unlike some, thought he was everywhere and back to his best
Dieng 8.5....some amazing defensive headers and usual quality elsewhere.......has Yearwood being nearly fit spurred these two on?
Theo 6....squared back for the goal but just don't get him....even got easily outpaced by a defender and i thought pace was his game
Coxy 8.5....unsung hero, as Paul Clarke said before the game, he's our BEST player on the team sheet but got to be used right. Scuffed the goal in as well so in the right position.
Hopper 7...a good player, good flick ons but must be a job to play up front for this team...hopefully the Bunn supply line comes back soon

Subs.....not on long enough.......McCoulsky next week surely?

Clean sheet was paramount today and we got just that. Solid at the back and restricted Fleetwood to very little. Wing backs both performed their role well and Dieng was exceptionally good defensively this afternoon.

I was pleased Powell switched formation as the 442 with the players we had available clearly wasn't working. With Cox in behind the strikers we suddenly had an option centrally in the latter third and it worked reasonably well. Too often in the 442 we don't get bodies forwards from midfield to join in the attack. Today Cox bridged that gap and Powell should get credit for the change,

We did the job required well today, yet I'm not getting carried away. Lots of work to do for the management team and with Kightly, Oxley & possibly Yearwood all back next week, hopefully today has seen us turn a corner.

Back