• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-0 Fleetwood Town

Ok, just back...a messy game, no way a classic, probably just what the team needed..3 points.

My stars, Demi, Moore ....looking good.. :Think:...Dieng and Cox.

Theo ran his legs off.

Klass looked confident and McCaulsky should've been given longer than 4 mins of injury time IMO.

Ref and West side Lino had a mare...throw ins given to the wrong team, Hopper has to be the Fleetwood captain's BFF...the amount of times he climbed all over him in a public place was obscene !

Was there a decent penalty shout for them towards the end ...handball? Looked like it to me...

I get 3 points are vitally important, but CP, we were living very dangerously by shutting up shop with 10 mins to go.

2 opportunities corner and free kick, to put it in the box, apply some pressure...or to sky it into row Z were declined and we gave the ball away cheaply..putting us under undue pressure....not good for the nerves !!

Get your coat!!!

Yes he did....a resonant Drewe rang around the stadium...:Clap:

Was great to hear, it's hugely gratifying to hear so many ex-players having such good memories with our club.
And finally, a big thank-you to ;

Rebecca in Commercial dept :Worthy:
Shelley in the Club shop :Happy: &
OBL for her helpful advice..:Highfive:.

These ladies helped me to get a Dru Yearwood signed home shirt (all done within 72 hours), for my son for his birthday...plus selfies of the geezer himself....all picked up today...:Clap:

You were all great :Smile:
Ah, you're welcome, glad it all got sorted for you.

I thought the formation worked really well and we never looked outnumbered anywhere and attacked in numbers.
Theo demonstrated why CP decided to start him, chasing lots of lost causes, giving us an outlet and being 90% responsibile for our goal
Dieng real quality all game, and some excellent headed clearances from crosses/corners 2nd half.
Mantom- did ok but as others has said is he fit?
Demi and Coker got forward well, and the three centre backs looked in control most of the game.
Hopper fouled all match but did part of his job well.
Cox was cox
Stockwell little to do, but an awful kick in the first half could have resulted in a long range goal but their guy bottled it.
Clean sheet!!!!!!! And to be honest they didn’t look like scoring

Negatives
Our shooting is still dog poo.
10 mins to go, we took it into the corner twice, and took a 5 yard corner. ALL THREE TIMES we gave the ball away within 3 seconds ( yes I counted). What is the point! What is the point If we can’t do this properly ( and personally I hate it) , then don’t do it- who knows we might even score another goal if we tried.

I meant more about fitting wingers into that system.
Yearwood though may also struggle to get in too I guess

Yeah I got the wingers bit, but I mentioned Yearwood because that may be where he has to play to get a game. I can't see Mantom or Dieng being benched for him.

That was absolutely what was needed today! Very strong side (under the circumstances), good formation, which worked very well vs Fleetwood, and a clear game plan that we stuck to. Cue 3 points, a climb of 2 places up the table, and a goal for a certain Simon Cox, who thoroughly deserved to get the goal! My MOM, not just for the goal, but workrate, and some vey creative little touches and tactics that left Fleetwood flat footed,

The defence looked far more solid than it has in a few weeks. John White is far better at RB than CB, and I personally think that with Jason in right midfield, that combo worked well, and allowed us that attacking flair and the overlaps on the right. JW is too good, and too versatile a player to be on the bench, and I think is often scapegoated unfairly. Today, I thought he was superb! Ironic that our goal came from a spectacular Bolger **** up, when I was saying earlier this week that we should have never let him go!

Can we keep Stockdale? He made some lovely saves, when he spent most of the game as a spectator. Also, specials shout out for Dieng, he looked brilliant today, calm, controlled and tidy play.

There is still a lot to do, and a way to go yet, and I feel that we are now much closer to that elusive 'groove', and after today confidence must have grown significantly.

And another upside - was lovely to see Joey Barton complain bitterly to the 4th official right through the game, for all the things he used to do and get away with as a player. serendipity is lovely!!

I thought for a while three at the back suited us, very glad we kept a clean sheet moore looked great, Cox excellent, dieng excellent as well. Good in patches but not yet fluent

League one at its worst today, but a welcome three points. Dieng & Cox our best players by a mile. Referee was not that great, barely gave Hopper a foul, even when his shirt was trying to be exchanged? I saw two foul throws in front of me, one players foot was well over the line? Do Lino’s just not watch anymore.
Winning ugly described today!

I thought the formation worked really well and we never looked outnumbered anywhere and attacked in numbers.
Theo demonstrated why CP decided to start him, chasing lots of lost causes, giving us an outlet and being 90% responsibile for our goal
Dieng real quality all game, and some excellent headed clearances from crosses/corners 2nd half.
Mantom- did ok but as others has said is he fit?
Demi and Coker got forward well, and the three centre backs looked in control most of the game.
Hopper fouled all match but did part of his job well.
Cox was cox
Stockwell little to do, but an awful kick in the first half could have resulted in a long range goal but their guy bottled it.
Clean sheet!!!!!!! And to be honest they didn’t look like scoring

Negatives
Our shooting is still dog poo.
10 mins to go, we took it into the corner twice, and took a 5 yard corner. ALL THREE TIMES we gave the ball away within 3 seconds ( yes I counted). What is the point! What is the point If we can’t do this properly ( and personally I hate it) , then don’t do it- who knows we might even score another goal if we tried.

Absolutely spot on with your negatives.

You could see the relief with the win at the end of the game by the way the players reacted.Not pretty but a hard ground out win which the team and supporters needed.The substitutions and timings still seem strange to me ...but today I think it had more to do with CPs desperation for that win

Can we keep Stockdale? He made some lovely saves, when he spent most of the game as a spectator. Also, specials shout out for Dieng, he looked brilliant today, calm, controlled and tidy play.

I don't recall him having to make an actual save during the match, according to the stats they had 2 shots and none on target.

Dieng MOTM for me, was superb.

Yeah I got the wingers bit, but I mentioned Yearwood because that may be where he has to play to get a game. I can't see Mantom or Dieng being benched for him.
Reading all the threads makes me think that perhaps Dieng could be that decent CB we need ,he good defensively ,good with his head and has pace ,can tackle, if so then that frees up a spot in the midfield for Dru or Klass or the other midfielder we signed when hes available again .Just a thought.!!!!!

Credit to Chris Powell for changing things up today. A change in formation was just what we needed after 3 straight defeats. As others have said it’s the formation that lots of us have been calling for because of Demetriou and Coker’s obvious attacking qualities and Cox’s tendency to drop deep.

Overall I felt it worked quite well. There were were obviously a few hiccups along the way as the players adjusted. I still fear we’re vulnerable if the opposition hit the ball into the channels between the wing backs and the centre backs. I think that formation can cause indecision as to who should deal with balls coming into those areas. But today the lads dealt with it well and considering it was their first game playing this way it worked great and we looked more solid than we have in weeks.

Chris Powell will be delighted with stopping the rot, a clean sheet and 3 points. There is still work to do but today is something to build on.

Last edited:
As others have said, a win we desperately needed. Not just for the 3 points but also to get confidence back that seemed to have vanished against Shrewsbury last week.

The defence looked a lot more assured and I didn't get that feeling of doom every time Fleetwood had a corner or free kick that I was getting the past few games. Admittedly, Fleetwood's set pieces were as bad as ours.

Dieng was immense for us in the midfield and also in defending free kicks and corners. I think he cleared three times in succession late in the second half with decent headers that removed the ball from danger as opposed to going straight up in the air or across the box like a lot of "clearances" in previous games.

I'm not sure bringing Klass on for Theo was the best option as it seemed we lost our way a bit after the substitution and bringing on McCoulsky for 2 minutes was again pointless. Bringing on McCoulsky for Theo would have been a better option and better suited the formation and probably kept the team balanced.

Continually running the ball into the corner (unsuccessfully) with 10 minutes left in the game rather than trying to kill the game off with a second goal probably reflects the mentality of the team at the moment.

Anyway, a win and a clean sheet is what we needed and it is what we got so can't complain!

Reading all the threads makes me think that perhaps Dieng could be that decent CB we need ,he good defensively ,good with his head and has pace ,can tackle, if so then that frees up a spot in the midfield for Dru or Klass or the other midfielder we signed when hes available again .Just a thought.!!!!!

A point well made! My Oldham supporting brother-in-law said when we signed Tim that when on loan there a while ago he played CB and was superb.

Takes a while to turn things around when you have been on a run and this was a good solid start leaving something to build on next week at Wycombe. I thought the game typifies our season. On the whole we have looked a good passing team who mix it up a bit and go long on occasions too. Lovely. Problem is at each end of the pitch. Today we looked a lot more solid at the back and looked less likely to concede in open play or set pieces. Top end if it hadn't been for a horrendous error it would have been 0-0 and had it been so, I think the sentiment today from fans would have been different about players and tactics. We are not creating enough clear cut chances and when we do we don't seem to want to capitalise. Demonstrated beautifully by Cox (who I thought closely followed by Dieng and Moore) was our best player but almost goofed up what was literally an open goal. Don't be surprised if this formation is used rarely. We looked comfortable but lacked much threat against a team lacking in attacking intent. And with Kightly, McLoughlin, Bunn and Barratt (when fit) CP has already signalled his preferred set-up. For me though the key to our success this year is finding our best 2 CB's and our most prolific combination up front. Oxley, Demetriou, Coker, Dieng, Mantom, Yearwood (when fit) and Hopper are for me always in the starting Xl if fit. Perm another 5 players. Partner for Hopper, 2xCB's, and a wide player who can play left or right and help chase long balls when we go long - beyond Hopper.

For me that is - if fit - Cox, Moore and Lennon, Bunn. Suddenly you also have a very strong bench with experience in defence and attacking players I have always felt were better as impact players.

Well I really hope that was a "Stop the rot" performance.

Both teams started with a high tempo and Fleetwood showed immediately why they have been a bit of a surprise package with a fast break down their right and always looked dangerous in the first half on the - it has to be said, rare - occasions they got the ball into our half.

But for some reason we just cannot score at the North Bank end at the moment and yet again we were waiting for the sucker punch to come and deliver yet another knockout blow.

But today, thankfully it wasn't to be. Earlier in the game, we were wishing we still had someone like the aerially dominant Cian Bolger and actually discussed why he was let go. "Because he wanted to be guaranteed a place every week, and Brown didn't agree, " I said. "The trouble is that he's great in the air, just don't give him the ball on the deck."

Et voila. The Fleetwood keeper obviously didn't know that, rolling the ball to him across the box. He didn't let us down, miscontrolling it and allowing Theo to get the ball, square it to Cox and then watch as Coxy seeks to make a hash of it. But 1-0 it was, thank goodness.

Cheers Cian. Always a Shrimper at heart.

Not mush happened after that except that with about 20 minutes to go Klass came on for Robinson and we started time wasting, sitting back, taking the ball into the corners and not going for the 2nd. We just aren't good enough to do that and the best way to kill the game is to get 2 or 3 goals in front. That bit was disappointing although I can understand it, given the fact we'd lost the previous 3. But we will get caught out more than not doing that and we need to start scoring when we are top - and fast.

Yesterday we were as defensively sound as I have seen us this year and the Fleetwood attack was surprisingly ineffective. Despite their pressure, we held firm.

Ratings -

Stockdale - 8 - Great communication, commanding keepers performance. Mr Oxley, please take note. Many thanks David.

White - 7 - Stood up well against the constant niggling by Ched Evans.
Turner - 7 - Looked better in a 3, maybe this is the way forward?
Moore - 8 - Superb performance, MOM contender.
Coker - 8 - Another MOM contender, great link up play and solid defending.

Demitriou - 7 - Lots of space, especially in the first half, but final cross needs work
Mantom - 7 - Tidy, I wish he'd shoot a bit though!
Dieng - 8.5 - MOM - Superb performance and gives us some extra defensive height, playing the role just in front of the defenders really well.
Robinson - 7 - An assist but didn't do much other than that really.

Hopper - 7 - No real chances but hard working and is deceptively good in the air.
Cox - 8 - The goal capped a hard working and unselfish performance

Subs

Klass - 7 - Did ok, certainly not out of place.
McCoulsky - Not on long enough

SOUTHEND United manager Chris Powell singled out the impressive Timothee Dieng following the Shrimpers’ 1-0 win against Fleetwood Town.

More...

What a relief to get a win, it certainly wasn't a classic but the team worked hard and ground out a much needed result.

Stockdale 7 - Didn't really have a meaningful save to make, I was very impressed with his communication.
Demitriou 7 - I think playing as a wing back will suit him. got forward well at times.
White 7 - Didn't really notice him that much which probably means he his job efficiently.
Turner 6 - A couple of shaky moments early on but improved as the game progressed, I feel we need him to play due to his strength in the air, a White/Moore duo has a real lack of height.
Moore 7 - Looks very impressive, calm and composed. I would have given him a 8 but he did dwell on the ball to long a couple of times and got caught out on one occasion.
Coker 8 - Flourished in the wing back role, his best performance for some while.
Dieng 8 MOM - Very impressed, he played the holding role very well and helped to protect the defence, he used the ball well too.
Mantom 6 - Looked more mobile today which is a big plus, but didn't have his best game. Work rate was impressive though.
Cox 8 - Worked really hard and deserved his goal, pleased for him after the knives were out from some.
Hopper 6 - Strugged to make much of an impression, wasn't helped by the ref though, he was constantly fouled when challenging for long balls but I don't think we got one free kick.
Robinson 6 - Got an assist (mainly thanks to Bolger!) and worked hard, never really looked like scoring. I'd still like McCoulsky to be given a chance in the next game.

Subs
Klass 7 - Didn't look out of place and got himself involved.
McCoulsky - Not enough time to rate (again!)

My biggest niggle was the time wasting when we had a corner in the 87th minute. Including injury time there was 8 minutes left! I don't mind us doing it with a minute to go but that seemed misguided.

Back