• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-0 Scunthorpe

Great result today but cold! Was a workmen like performance but got the job done and a much needed 3 points! I thought macca run the show and olyinka oozed class.Defensively we look solid and all our defenders played well.If sam heart can make those kind of runs after not playing for several weeks then he is going to be a very valuable player for u.And from what I saw of akinola he looks pacey and skillfull and with more match time will come good.

Dieng and Hobson seem to click. Acquah was better, but for me still needs to use his height and strength more. There was 5 mins where he looked mustard.
Really? And there's no irony intended.
Maybe, I'm missing something, but I thought Akinola won more in the air, and he looks a good head shorter.
Dieng, very good, and Hobson improving, as you say.

Macca going into the book of SUFC legends swiftly, what a game that boy had
yes i must agree... i thought he played clever and looked strong ... i was against him to start with but that performance..spot on Macca

For all the Molesley doubters out there. That’s what you get when he has a better tool set!

A great effort from everyone today, not one player had a bad game and some really excellent performances.

As others have said Hart and Macca were excellent but Hobson for me was my man of the match! He looked unbeatable, solid, confident and comfortable.

Molesley was very humble in his post match interview and I really do see him pushing on now he has better tools and hopefully more chance to bring more in.

Thought Hobson looked the part as well. He reminds of Bolger, just needs to simplify his game when on the ball. I think he’ll continue to grow.

Massive 3 points for the shrimpers. Scrappy game with not many chances created and balance of play draw would of been fair result. With the embargo now lifted the season starts now. Hopefully another 3 points against grimsby. UTB!

Hart was excellent. He ran at players and tried to get into the box. They really didn’t like it.

As with others on the performance of macca JD and hobson. I think a few are a bit harsh on Clifford - I thought he was fab first half, even if it levelled off a bit in the second.

it was great to be back, and sitting in the front row with such a small crowd, it was great to be able to hear the players and ref talking to each other. Macca and Oxley really were very vocal moving the team around the pitch and giving bags of encouragement.

Really? And there's no irony intended.
Maybe, I'm missing something, but I thought Akinola won more in the air, and he looks a good head shorter.
Dieng, very good, and Hobson improving, as you say.
I thought he was slightly better today yes. The 5 mins I referred to he was tearing about, closing players down and I was like “yes, Emile” .... but then he stopped. I agree that Akinola looked the better “target man” and he wasn’t even match fit, nor apparently is it his game. I feel Acquah given his height & bulk should be a real pain in the arse for defenders. We definitely need to bring in another forward I think.

Oxley 7 Commanding
Bwomono 7 Improving
Dieng 8 Dominant
Hobson 8 Confident
Clifford 7 Tenacious
Olayinka 7 Classy
Demetriou 7 Captain
McCormack 8 Terrier
Hart 8 Inspired MOTM
Akinola 6 Rusty
Acquah 6 Trier

Taylor K 7 Missed
Taylor R 5 Nuisance
Egbri 6 Energetic
Goodship 5 Fleeting

God how I have missed this on a Saturday. We would have lost this 1-0 a few weeks back. Finally have a spine and hope, no longer men against boys. Still worry we are going to concede in dying minutes and next step would be 2 goal lead entering last minutes. Well done Blues, players and management team. Proud of you tonight.

Oxley 7 Commanding
Bwomono 7 Improving
Dieng 8 Dominant
Hobson 8 Confident
Clifford 7 Tenacious
Olayinka 7 Classy
Demetriou 7 Captain
McCormack 8 Terrier
Hart 8 Inspired MOTM
Akinola 6 Rusty
Acquah 6 Trier

Taylor K 7 Missed
Taylor R 5 Nuisance
Egbri 6 Energetic
Goodship 5 Fleeting

God how I have missed this on a Saturday. We would have lost this 1-0 a few weeks back. Finally have a spine and hope, no longer men against boys. Still worry we are going to concede in dying minutes and next step would be 2 goal lead entering last minutes. Well done Blues, players and management team. Proud of you tonight.

....and if you had to sum it up in one word?

It felt a bit special walking into the west today with my dad and my son.
Positive result now only 4 points from safety....so so pleased.
However I felt we didn't help ourselves from the start by playing players out of position. I know we missing a winger and all but olayinka not playing CM is a big error imo and easily fixed by moving Demi to RB (his best position also) and move Elvis to RM if he's got to play.
Good fight from all the lads sometimes macca takes the P..love to see it. Akinola clearly needs minutes added to the fact we didn't exactly give him the ball in the final third at all.
Hart also needs minutes but done ok out there. Dieng was my MOM...dominated

I will admit to be feeling a little apprehensive about going back today (I am 76) but can honestly say that if I develop Covid in the near future, it will not be a result of this afternoon. The Club have done everything possible to ensure social distancing and wearing of masks is adhered to. I was in the North Bank , but assume it was as good in the other parts of the ground as well. My only problem was my glasses misting up all the time, drove me potty!.......Great afternoon though.
Wash them with soap and water beforehand. The soap leaves an invisible film that stops them misting up - hospital trick.

Three vital points in our quest here's my rating from watching on I follow;

Oxley: 7 not much to do some wayward kicking, still managed to let them get a couple of free headers on goal near the end, couldn't do anything about the one that hit the post, but two clean sheets in a row!!

Elvis: 7 better going forward than defending, still lets too many crosses come over.

Clifford 6.5 struggled a bit second half I thought, struggled to find teamate , first half ok

Dieng 7.5 good in both boxes I thought, when he could get forward for a corner.

Hobson 7.5 getting better by the game, thought he coped with the tricky Long very well.

Demetriou: 7 didn't give the ball away as much as of late.

McCormack: 8, just knows the game, one of these days one of the speculate efforts will come off. wins a good free kick.

Olyinka :8 just for the goal alone, but some good moments.

Hart ;8.5 MOM best player on the field despite not being match fit.

Aqua: 7 doesn't put himself about as much as I'd like to see, but did have one or two good moments, not enough in my opinion.

Akinola: 7 Don't see what the fuss is all about myself, didn't get involved enough.

Subs; Kyle Taylor 7 not as influential as I have seen him. Rusty?
Egbree, 7.5 Thought he did quite well in the SHORT time he was on
Richard Taylor 7.5 Just the right sub at the right time, put their back four and keeper under pressure in the final moments with fresh legs.
Goodship 6.5 not enough time to rate, but did try to waste time a bit.

Overall boy did we need that victory, and I think on the balance of play we just about deserved it. It was a poor game with the first half better than the second, but I think that was down to the ref letting the game go more in the first, and the ball spending a lot of time off the pitch in the second.

Still, very happy tonight.

Wow, I agree with everything you have said and the ratings too. The only thing I would say is that it's too early to judge Akinola as he is clearly not match fit and seemed to be carrying an injury but despite that he showed enough to make me think he will score goals.

We may have been one of the worst run clubs in the country in recent years but looking at the table Bradford City must be in contention for that dubious accolade as well. And Bolton seem to be slipping back too. I think they may be in serious financial trouble again come the end of the season as I understand that they took out two very large 2 year loans just over a year ago.

Will be nice to be able to come out from behind the sofa to watch the Football League Show tonight:Smile:

It felt a bit special walking into the west today with my dad and my son.
Positive result now only 4 points from safety....so so pleased.
However I felt we didn't help ourselves from the start by playing players out of position. I know we missing a winger and all but olayinka not playing CM is a big error imo and easily fixed by moving Demi to RB (his best position also) and move Elvis to RM if he's got to play.
Good fight from all the lads sometimes macca takes the P..love to see it. Akinola clearly needs minutes added to the fact we didn't exactly give him the ball in the final third at all.
Hart also needs minutes but done ok out there. Dieng was my MOM...dominated

I would like see Olayinka play in a more advanced role, just behind Akinola. This would leave room in the side for Kyle Taylor to be in the starting XI in place of Acquah. Olayinka is at his best when running at the back 4 and I feel this role would allow him to do that more often; he is also capable of a quality pass which, in this role, could be the creation of a goal-scoring opportunity.

Back