• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-0 Scunthorpe

I said 7 games ago that we’d win at least 1 of our next 5 league games and that I could see improvement almost on a weekly basis. It’s not always in the same thing but generally speaking it was clear to anyone with half a footballing brain that MM was gradually getting there and given half a chance with a full squad he’d make enough progress.

The squad is now starting to take shape and as you say it’s now 7 points from our last 5 games the improvement continues.

I also said in October that I was nailing my colours very much to the MM mast and that he would still prove to be a good appointment.....I think we are starting to see some evidence of this now.

It is a process. I know it’s seemed a much longer one than we’d all like but change in football and football momentum is never an overnight thing.

Hopefully now, especially with fans back, the improvement can continue and we’ve well and truely turned an almighty corner. Plenty more bumps in the road to come I’m sure, but at least were now on the bloody road!!!

How do you get half a footballing brain?

Had to watch in TV as isolating but will be the Tuesday, all in all it wasnt the best game from either side. The first half was really poor for me, second half was better

Interesting comment on watching it on TV. After watching live today it reminded me how sterile TV coverage can be as opposed to being there. Nothing wrong with it being on TV but there is no substitute for being there. You see so much more than the cameras can show.

I said 7 games ago that we’d win at least 1 of our next 5 league games and that I could see improvement almost on a weekly basis. It’s not always in the same thing but generally speaking it was clear to anyone with half a footballing brain that MM was gradually getting there and given half a chance with a full squad he’d make enough progress.

The squad is now starting to take shape and as you say it’s now 7 points from our last 5 games the improvement continues.

I also said in October that I was nailing my colours very much to the MM mast and that he would still prove to be a good appointment.....I think we are starting to see some evidence of this now.

It is a process. I know it’s seemed a much longer one than we’d all like but change in football and football momentum is never an overnight thing.

Hopefully now, especially with fans back, the improvement can continue and we’ve well and truely turned an almighty corner. Plenty more bumps in the road to come I’m sure, but at least were now on the bloody road!!!

Best summation I’ve seen so far. Agree with all of that.

If we can add two or three contenders in January, then we’ll have more than half a chance to survive in this dire division.

I’d still settle for 22nd place, but the good news is we’re improving gradually, and we’re not far short of being able to compete.

Survive this term - consolidate next year - push for promotion the following season, ready to begin life in our new stadium in Lg1.

Easy

Best summation I’ve seen so far. Agree with all of that.

If we can add two or three contenders in January, then we’ll have more than half a chance to survive in this dire division.

I’d still settle for 22nd place, but the good news is we’re improving gradually, and we’re not far short of being able to compete.

Survive this term - consolidate next year - push for promotion the following season, ready to begin life in our new stadium in Lg1.

Easy

It really is a dire league isnt it. Any of the bottom 12 possibly even further up the table are just as bad as one another. Especially after tonight, 22nd + seems to be more than achievable.

Add a couple of faces in Jan and dare I say it, even 18th+

Out of interest, do any of you statto's know the last time Macca lasted the full 90+ minutes on two successive games?m
29/12/18 and 1/1/19 at Luton in L1. Also played 90 minutes against us in a run of 9 90 minute games in 13 appearances.

29/12/18 and 1/1/19 at Luton in L1. Also played 90 minutes against us in a run of 9 90 minute games in 13 appearances.

Slightly more recent than that I make it: Soccerbase has him doing 90 mins in a 2-0 home win against Rochdale on the 2nd of March 2019 then 90 mins away at Plymouth on the 9th of March

Felt great t be back at RH. a long 9 months and what a way to return. It wasn't pretty and at times it was short of quality, but slowly MM is getting this side playing and more importantly tighter in defence.

Elvis is looking much sharper, Clifford oozes quality on the ball and Hobson and Dieng were supberb today, don't think either missed a header. Oxley had one shaky moment and commanded his area well and came out when he needed to. I also think he got fingers to the shot that hit the post, if he did it was a great save

In midfield I thought we were excellent and marshalled so well by Macca. Many doubted his return but for me he was head and shoulders the best player on the pitch and his leadership was evident to see today, non stop talking and organising. If he stays fit, we stay up, it really us as simple as that for me.

JD worked hard and set up the goal, but I would rather see either Taylor or Olyinka next to Macca. Hart was brilliant, a shaky first 10-15 mins but thereafter was excellent both in defence and going forward. He could be a really important part in our survival. Olyinka I still think is wasted outwide but he did his job and did it well and what a classy finish to score

Upfront. Akinola showed glimpses without really having any proper service. But he has a good leap and won some hearders and also showed some neat touches. Emile, not sure. He is a big lad but really needs to use his muscle more. He gets knocked off the ball way to easily. Yes he is young and needs more game time but if we could find a more experienced head up there then I think we will be ok.

So we returned, the atmosphere was good, the organisation in the ground excellent and good that we applauded to drown out the odd boo when the players kneeled.

Is MM right for the job? Absolutely. He is slowly starting to turn things round. The squad looks stronger with White and ANG to return plus hopefully 3 or 4 additions. 4 points from safety with a game in hand, we have a chance and a good one at that. We have hope and belief and that's key. Being in the stadium meant you could see the unity the togetherness in the squad and the connection with MM. He hasn't given up, the players haven't given up and neither should we. Now onto Tuesday UTB

Scunthorpe came here against a team with 5 points intent on playing for a draw and therefore got exactly what they deserved.

Long way to go, it's still a real struggle going forward. But in terms of organisation, battling qualities, aggression and general physicality, we're a world away from where we were a couple of months ago.

I am well behind Mr Molesley but I would question the decision to play James Olayinka on the right. Clearly though I understand if ANG was fit, this might be resolved.

Honorable mentions for Hobson, Dieng, McCormack and Hart, who was clearly delighted to be back playing and his enthusiasm is infectious. Even if he did look a little rusty at times.

To wake up to so much good is hard to take ,this is SUFC and shrimpermoan it just dosent happen, first a win , 2ndly enmbargo lifted, 3rdly someone praised RM for his part in that ,4th AKinola ,Hart finally get to play, and lastly praise for Oxley and many others including MM, im going back to bed ,my heart cant take all this positivity.

We were first in the West just on 2 o'clock, all a little strange and the aisle we sit by turned out to have the arrows a different way to what had been shown on the plans published by the Club, so that was a bit confusing! There looked to have been a recent cull of pigeons as there were remnants of wings, feathers and God knows what else on much of the floor plus loads of pigeon poo, which wasn't very pleasant, but the space between us meant I could put my stuff on the chair next to me rather than on the grossness on the floor. Lots of wet, mossy stuff on the ground on the front row meant that was a bit slippy - ground could have had a jet wash down in the time we've had to get it ready in my opinion.

I do think that, with the space available, we could have had staggered seating along the rows, so that there was no need to wear a mask in your seat. What I mean is, our seats were 96 and 97, if the people behind and in front of us had been put in 100 and 101 for instance, we'd have been far enough away for masks not to be a necessity when in your seat. In our row, there was only us one end and @Tinks and family the other so plenty of room for spacing like this. It was lovely not having to keep getting up and down to let latecomers, toilet goers and burger munchers in and out!

Lovely to see and hear our supporters in the North Bank!

North Bank 12th Dec 2020.jpg

I'd disagree with anyone saying that was a poor match - I note a few comments of that nature - certainly didn't feel that way watching in person. Three stand out performers for me - Macca, Hart and Dieng, with Hobson not too far behind. Considering Hart has been out of competitive games almost as long as Akinola, you wouldn't have thought so the way he hit the ground running. He was a bit leggy to begin with but soon settled down and he and Clifford seemed to have good communication between them down the left. He played a lot longer than I expected and just didn't stop the whole time, continually offering himself as an outlet and getting in the mix with some feisty tackles too.

I think Akinola will be fine, he's obviously quite match rusty, and he played a lot deeper than I expected, but he has the same springy leap that Nathan Ralph has and will win a lot of headers for us.

Oxley - 7, lucky that one shot of theirs hit the upright as had that gone in we'd potentially have had a different game. Much more vocal than I remember noticing, some good punching, would prefer more route one goal kicks.
Bwomono - 7, Elvis seemed back to form, maybe he just needed fans back in the ground! Some good runs and good defensive work too.
Dieng - 8, been very complimentary of him the previous two games as well, very solid, great heading, marshalled the defence well.
Hobson - 7.5, best performance from him in a Blues' shirt, looking very comfortable alongside Dieng.
Clifford - 7, the youngster did ok, some great corner kicks, one early on would have gone straight in the goal if uncontested - the ref blew for a foul on it anyway. Good inter-play with Hart.
Olayinka - 7, well taken goal, not standing out as much because others have upped their game, still really like him so hope we can extend his loan spell.
Demetriou - 7, see Demi, that's what happens when you go forwards and don't keep playing backwards - a great cross and assist for the goal! Much more positive from the captain.
McCormack - 8.5, MOTM again, leads by example, does the dirty jobs so well, wins some good free kicks and orchestrates much of what goes on. Can pick a pass and direct and encourage others. Get that contract extension on the table!
Hart - 8, welcome back! Great first game for us, properly involved, didn't stop running the whole time, and the Scunny defence didn't like it.
Akinola - 6.5, as already mentioned, obviously lacking in match sharpness but could develop a good understanding with a CF, not sure if that's Acquah or not.
Acquah - 6.5, still needs to learn to not be bullied and to use his build and athleticism better. Bring in Barry Corr to give him some lessons! Did hold the ball up well on occasions.

Subs:
K Taylor for Akinola - 7, thought he showed the kind of form we'd been used to, got stuck in and seemed to be ready for the fight.
Egbri for Hart - 7, works really well with Elvis when they're allowed to, made a real nuisance of himself.
R Taylor for Acquah - n/a
Goodship for Olayinka - n/a

Let's hope someone has bottled that feeling and they really can believe that their season starts now. Tuesday will be interesting, not sure Macca can play another full game so soon, so wouldn't be surprised to see him and Kyle Taylor reversed for that game.

Twitter has been a great place following the game, with Akinola entering into discussion with supporters and I'll just leave you with this tweet which some may not have seen:

Last edited:
Back