• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-0 Scunthorpe

I forgot to mention it yesterday ....

But that was the best referee we have had for a long time.

He let the game flow, both sets of players were falling over from a shoulder to shoulder and he didn't blow ...

Pleasantly surprised. Even at 0-0 I said to myself that this is a good ref.

That's I wanted to say

Yes, I agree, forgot to mention him in my match report.

He let the game flow, both sets of players were falling over from a shoulder to shoulder and he didn't blow ...

That's I wanted to say
What about the second half ??

That's I wanted to say

I agree with reference to his first half performance, but it was as if someone had a word in his ear at half time and said that a ref should be blowing his whistle and breaking up play regularly because that 's what he did in the second half. Or maybe it was a different ref for the second half?

I would like see Olayinka play in a more advanced role, just behind Akinola. This would leave room in the side for Kyle Taylor to be in the starting XI in place of Acquah. Olayinka is at his best when running at the back 4 and I feel this role would allow him to do that more often; he is also capable of a quality pass which, in this role, could be the creation of a goal-scoring opportunity.
Like.

We were first in the West just on 2 o'clock, all a little strange and the aisle we sit by turned out to have the arrows a different way to what had been shown on the plans published by the Club, so that was a bit confusing! There looked to have been a recent cull of pigeons as there were remnants of wings, feathers and God knows what else on much of the floor plus loads of pigeon poo, which wasn't very pleasant, but the space between us meant I could put my stuff on the chair next to me rather than on the grossness on the floor. Lots of wet, mossy stuff on the ground on the front row meant that was a bit slippy - ground could have had a jet wash down in the time we've had to get it ready in my opinion.

I do think that, with the space available, we could have had staggered seating along the rows, so that there was no need to wear a mask in your seat. What I mean is, our seats were 96 and 97, if the people behind and in front of us had been put in 100 and 101 for instance, we'd have been far enough away for masks not to be a necessity when in your seat. In our row, there was only us one end and @Tinks and family the other so plenty of room for spacing like this. It was lovely not having to keep getting up and down to let latecomers, toilet goers and burger munchers in and out!

Lovely to see and hear our supporters in the North Bank!

View attachment 13645

I'd disagree with anyone saying that was a poor match - I note a few comments of that nature - certainly didn't feel that way watching in person. Three stand out performers for me - Macca, Hart and Dieng, with Hobson not too far behind. Considering Hart has been out of competitive games almost as long as Akinola, you wouldn't have thought so the way he hit the ground running. He was a bit leggy to begin with but soon settled down and he and Clifford seemed to have good communication between them down the left. He played a lot longer than I expected and just didn't stop the whole time, continually offering himself as an outlet and getting in the mix with some feisty tackles too.

I think Akinola will be fine, he's obviously quite match rusty, and he played a lot deeper than I expected, but he has the same springy leap that Nathan Ralph has and will win a lot of headers for us.

Oxley - 7, lucky that one shot of theirs hit the upright as had that gone in we'd potentially have had a different game. Much more vocal than I remember noticing, some good punching, would prefer more route one goal kicks.
Bwomono - 7, Elvis seemed back to form, maybe he just needed fans back in the ground! Some good runs and good defensive work too.
Dieng - 8, been very complimentary of him the previous two games as well, very solid, great heading, marshalled the defence well.
Hobson - 7.5, best performance from him in a Blues' shirt, looking very comfortable alongside Dieng.
Clifford - 7, the youngster did ok, some great corner kicks, one early on would have gone straight in the goal if uncontested - the ref blew for a foul on it anyway. Good inter-play with Hart.
Olayinka - 7, well taken goal, not standing out as much because others have upped their game, still really like him so hope we can extend his loan spell.
Demetriou - 7, see Demi, that's what happens when you go forwards and don't keep playing backwards - a great cross and assist for the goal! Much more positive from the captain.
McCormack - 8.5, MOTM again, leads by example, does the dirty jobs so well, wins some good free kicks and orchestrates much of what goes on. Can pick a pass and direct and encourage others. Get that contract extension on the table!
Hart - 8, welcome back! Great first game for us, properly involved, didn't stop running the whole time, and the Scunny defence didn't like it.
Akinola - 6.5, as already mentioned, obviously lacking in match sharpness but could develop a good understanding with a CF, not sure if that's Acquah or not.
Acquah - 6.5, still needs to learn to not be bullied and to use his build and athleticism better. Bring in Barry Corr to give him some lessons! Did hold the ball up well on occasions.

Subs:
K Taylor for Akinola - 7, thought he showed the kind of form we'd been used to, got stuck in and seemed to be ready for the fight.
Egbri for Hart - 7, works really well with Elvis when they're allowed to, made a real nuisance of himself.
R Taylor for Acquah - n/a
Goodship for Olayinka - n/a

Let's hope someone has bottled that feeling and they really can believe that their season starts now. Tuesday will be interesting, not sure Macca can play another full game so soon, so wouldn't be surprised to see him and Kyle Taylor reversed for that game.

Twitter has been a great place following the game, with Akinola entering into discussion with supporters and I'll just leave you with this tweet which some may not have seen:
Love the shirts , brilliant

Very pleased with the win today...….however lets be serious for just a few minutes, we need to carry this momentum on to Tuesday and away to Mansfield on Saturday if we don't then the 3 tough looking games over Christmas could end up putting us further in to trouble

go in to Christmas on the back of 2 or 3 wins on the bounce and it will make us and the players all feel more confident …….screw up Tuesday and Saturday and those 3 games are going to seem a lot harder to get anything out of.

SOUTHEND United manager Mark Molesley was keen to highlight Emile Acquah’s part in the 1-0 win against Scunthorpe United.

Read more on this story

Help with Echo links

I'm glad Molesley singled out Acquah for praise. He's incredibly young to be leading the line up front alone and the way we're set up means that he has to do all the unglamorous work whilst fans think he's playing the most glamorous position and so expect him to score goals and so judge him by a different role to the one he's asked to play. The reality is that he's always outnumbered and his role in this side is not to score goals but to occupy the central defenders and hold the ball up and stop it coming back with interest. On the few occasions he got balls he could realistically do something with, he held the ball up well - a clever little backheel being the highlight, but he also won free-kicks, throws etc that gave us a platform higher up the pitch.

We do need to sign someone else who can perform that role to spell him from the bench as it is an incredibly physically demanding position. It's just not realistic to expect him to play every minute between now and the end of the season. Richard Taylor at a push can maybe do a job against tired defences but if Acquah gets injured/suspended you wouldn't want him starting.

I think the job for Akinola now is to realise he isn’t going to be blessed with chances. It was good to see him going for every header possible and he’ll have to get used to that. He’s going to spend a lot of time doing some not so glamorous work. What will really make the difference for us then is his head not dropping, staying alert and taking that one chance in each game. Going to be a mental game for him this season but he has the power to make an enormous difference.

MM has got some good options for the game vs Grimsby. Can Akinola play up top by himself as we have a lot of good midfield options now with Hart, McCormack, JD, Taylor, Olayinka. I’d probably like to see Olayinka play in behind Akinola as I’m not a fan of our other forward options. Not sure if it’ll be a bit too soon to ask Akinola to do that much work though but Olayinka would certainly give him some good service. Will JD move to right midfield? I hope not as I think we’ll miss his work rate and tenacity in the centre. Finally we have options which is great to see!!!!

Don't think Akinola is the type to play up top alone. I see us in the medium term playing 4-2-3-1 with three skillful attacking players behind Acquah running from deep in Akinola, Olayinka and Nathaniel-George.

Add in Egbri from the bench and maybe Kyle Taylor and we've finally got some depth. Maybe for the first time this season we have genuine attacking options off the bench.

I think we will see something similar to YBs suggested set up eventually.

Macca and Taylor in a two.
ANG Olayinka and Demi as a dark horse up there.
Akinola up top.

Noticed after the first sub demi pushed more advanced yesterday and evidently that paid dividends providing the cross for jimmys goal.

A bitter/sweet day for me yesterday. I was very much looking forward to the game and I was lifted by the team selection, meaning the embargo had obviously been removed.

Even though there was only 2000 in the ground, the way it was set out meant there were fans in all parts of the stadium, giving it a "full" feel and the noise was very welcome. In my 51 years of supporting, it was the longest I have been away from the ground. The effort put in by the players was certainly up a notch and how great to actually hear the sound of the tackles, the thump of the ball, my word what a difference.

15 minutes gone and my phone rings - it's the hospital advising that my 85 year old Mother (she had been in there for a week) had rapidly deteriorated having tested positive for Covid just 2 days prior (the day she should have come home).

After a couple of quick phone calls they agreed to let me in to see her, as she was unresponsive. I left the ground and went to the hospital where they gave me full PPE. I saw her and was able to say a few things I needed to. I'd like to think she could hear me.

I sadly ventured home, got out of my potentially Covid infected clothing and into the shower, turning on iFollow just a minute or so before Mr Olayinka stroked home the winner. I like to think Mum had a hand in that! I will miss the Grimsby game as I am now in isolation, but I'm so glad I had that time with her. Unfortunately she passed away at 6:30 this morning but I wouldn't swap those few minutes for the world.

So for me, it will be 2021 before I get back to the Hall (can't make Boxing Day) but with a repeat of the effort yesterday, I'm confident we will stay up.

Blue Army!

Last edited:
A bitter/sweet day for me yesterday. I was very much looking forward to the game and I was lifted by the team selection, meaning the embargo had obviously been removed.

Even though there was only 2000 in the ground, the way it was set out meant there were fans in all parts of the stadium, giving it a "full" feel and the noise was very welcome. In my 51 years of supporting, it was the longest I have been away from the ground. The effort put in by the players was certainly up a notch and how great to actually hear the sound of the tackles, the thump of the ball, my word what a difference.

15 minutes gone and my phone rings - it's the hospital advising that my 85 year old Mother (she had been in there for a week) had rapidly deteriorated having tested positive for Covid just 2 days prior (the day she should have come home).

After a couple of quick phone calls they agreed to let me in to see her, as she was unresponsive. I left the ground and went to the hospital where they gave me full PPE. I saw her and was able to say a few things I needed to. I'd like to think she could hear me.

I sadly ventured got home, got out of my potentially Covid infected clothing and into the shower, turning on iFollow just a minute or so before Mr Olyinka stroked home the winner. I like to think Mum had a hand in that! Unfortunately I will miss the Grimsby game as I am now in isolation, but I'm so glad I had that time with her. Unfortunately she passed away at 6:30 this morning but I wouldn't swap those few minutes for the world.

So for me, it will be 2021 before I get back to the Hall (can't make Boxing Day) but with a repeat of the effort yesterday, I'm confident we will stay up.

Blue Army!

Sorry for your loss. Puts life in perspective

I sadly ventured got home, got out of my potentially Covid infected clothing and into the shower, turning on iFollow just a minute or so before Mr Olyinka stroked home the winner. I like to think Mum had a hand in that! Unfortunately I will miss the Grimsby game as I am now in isolation, but I'm so glad I had that time with her. Unfortunately she passed away at 6:30 this morning but I wouldn't swap those few minutes for the world.

Blue Army!
I'm so glad you had the chance to see your mother before she went @fbm and that you were able to say your farewells. Amazing that you have been able rationalise the situation and no doubt your mum had a hand in you seeing Olayinka's goal. Good luck in isolation and please have as good an Xmas as you can.

Blue Army!
Sorry to hear that but she would have loved it that you saw her.

Blue Army!

genuinely sorry for your loss pal, a real tough day for you

Blue Army!
Oh no!! so sorry to hear that. I'm so pleased you managed to have that time with your mum. I'm sure she heard you.

Back