• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

OBL, I will say about Oxley's kicking was that in the first half it was good and flat but second half too up in the air which meant it barely crossed the half way line and we struggled to win those. That's my only criticism

Well, I quite enjoyed it all, but maybe that was due to being able to sit on my new season ticket perch in the East Stand and get to know the good folk around me. Don't often do match day ratings, but for what it's worth here are mine for today:

Oxley - 5, couple of good saves but does not inspire confidence
Demetriou - 7, quick but could get in to better positions more often. Can't help feeling sorry for White who (in agreement with OBL) is better at defending
Thompson - 8, commanding
Barrett - 7, effective bar for their goal, needs to be used more sparingly
Coker - 5, not the same player as last season
O'Neill - 5.5, just not sure he adds that much value
King - 5, has at least one critical mistake in him every game. Not the answer.
Leonard - 8, back to his best, well done Lenny
McLaughlin - 6.5, ok in flashes, needs to move in to space more
Mooney - 5, works hard but to no effect, cannot win a header and one of those players who is destined to never get any luck
Cox - 6, a bit static

Subs:
McGlashan for O'Neill - 7, made a bit of a difference. maybe being an impact sub is his role
Bridge for Mooney - 7, should be in the team instead of King
Williams for Demetriou - 5, sorry but not the answer to anything for us

Clarkie post match on BBC Essex said that everyone was too static up front and not prepared to take runs where only 1 in 10 will pay off. How true. I'd love for Clarkie to assist Powell as our next management duo.

UTB

OBL, I will say about Oxley's kicking was that in the first half it was good and flat but second half too up in the air which meant it barely crossed the half way line and we struggled to win those. That's my only criticism

I honestly think the wind played a big part in Oxley's kicking, Mildy's too for that matter. Both managed length and flat trajectory when kicking from South to North, and both billowed upwards more the other way round. If we believe the BBC the wind speed was in the region of 40 mph out there at times.

Why is oxley getting so much criticism. He made two very very good saves, had no chance with the goal, kicked very well and came for crosses and off his line. But to give him 5 is ridiculous, he was far better than that

Dear oh dear. I knew I would come on here and find Mooney and Williams being scape-goated. Honestly, if you actually watched Mooney's movement today you would know this was a player trying to work channels where other players didn't bother, coping with a guy who wanted to wrestle him the whole time while getting no help from the officials, making some intelligent runs both with and without the ball into space and trying to get on the end of crosses but smaller men jumping ahead of him. Williams too, today, did better than he's being credited for. Having said that, I still don't think he's anywhere near ready for L1 and a loan out to a top Conference or L2 side is a must.

Oxley - 7, criticism of his kicking because it was better in one half than the other? Hmm....wonder if the wind might have had any effect there? :facepalm:Did ok, looked far more confident than against Gillingham, in either game.
Demetriou - 7, guy clearly has a temper. Refusing to shake a team-mate's hand is not the way we do things at Southend. He also gets into more than his fair share of flare ups on the pitch with oppo players. Having said that, he impressed down the wing today. Defensively, he's not as good as White.
Thompson - 7.5, pick of the defence today.
Barrett - 6.5, three games in a week too much for him.
Coker - 7, got forward more today, which was good to see.
O'Neill - 6.5, bit of a luxury we can't afford as his natural instincts are defensive, and we need the creativity up front.
King - 6.5, does some things well, then makes mistakes. Doesn't seem able to pick a decent forward pass. Too inconsistent at the moment, and would rather see Bridge in there.
Leonard - 8, MOTM, good to see him driving forward and not afraid to shoot. We need to see more of this.
McLaughlin - 7, flashes of speed and skill, but Gavin Ward took a huge dislike to him and he was targeted a bit.
Mooney - 7, hard worker, difficult being the target man when it's as windy as it was and we still insisted on pumping high balls forward. Chased balls that others gave up on, and won them.
Cox - 7, want to see him in the middle more.

Subs:
McGlashan for O'Neill - 7.5, made a massive difference, ran at them with pace. Crosses were a bit hit and miss.
Bridge for Mooney - 7, did well when he came on, want to see him given more opportunity.
Williams for Demetriou - 6.5, better, but still needs to learn.

Your friend and mine - Mr Gavin Ward. Mr Fussy. Today was one of those "sod off and don't ever come back" ones.

A 7 for Mooney?!!

He was awful again, too weak, kept going to the crowd and can't hit a barn door. I can't think of a single chance he created. Was it him who missed a chance in the first half when the ball went fizzing across?

Dear oh dear. I knew I would come on here and find Mooney and Williams being scape-goated. Honestly, if you actually watched Mooney's movement today you would know this was a player trying to work channels where other players didn't bother, coping with a guy who wanted to wrestle him the whole time while getting no help from the officials, making some intelligent runs both with and without the ball into space and trying to get on the end of crosses but smaller men jumping ahead of him.

Mooney - 7, hard worker, difficult being the target man when it's as windy as it was and we still insisted on pumping high balls forward. Chased balls that others gave up on, and won them.

Bridge for Mooney - 7, did well when he came on, want to see him given more opportunity.

Did you see the Huddersfield goal at Villa where the attacker ran at the kicking GK and got hit by the kick? Did you see Mooney run at Mildenhall, slow before he got close and then duck and turn his back on the kick! And Coker, both Adams and a few more took a few close blocks without shrinking. You explain to me why us supporters, or his team mates, are supposed to see that type of quiting and not be a bit peeved?
When Mooney does become a hard, honest worker then he won't get lambasted. And today WAS one of his better games.

I agree re Bridge, more game time please.

Why is oxley getting so much criticism. He made two very very good saves, had no chance with the goal, kicked very well and came for crosses and off his line. But to give him 5 is ridiculous, he was far better than that

I'm wondering that too, a couple of people even seem to be blaming him for the goal when 3 Bristol Rovers men attacked the ball and only Barrett was anywhere near them! It does only seem to be the minority though, most are rightly giving him a 7.

Why would you have taken a point at home to an average Bristol Rovers side?? If that's our ambition as a club we may as well call it a day right now!!!

Pony yet again, Brown changing tactics frantically late on like a teenager playing Champ Manager on his Commodore Amiga!!!!

Poor, just poor

Only bright note was the performance of Bridge yet again, I would rather our youngster play ahead of Swansea's youngster any day of the week

Agreed - this attitude of acceptance of the mediocre is a disease which is endemic amongst our fans...does my head in.

I noticed there was quite a few booing when Williams came on as sub. Or was it because Demetriou was taken off. Maybe a bit of both?

I think it was a more a case of Demetriou walking off slowly when we were a goal down.

I'm wondering that too, a couple of people even seem to be blaming him for the goal when 3 Bristol Rovers men attacked the ball and only Barrett was anywhere near them! It does only seem to be the minority though, most are rightly giving him a 7.

The 3 players were 5 yards out attacking a high floaty cross. Should of been the gk's ball all day.

Bristol Rovers knew exactly what they were doing today. Sit back, relax, let us pass it slowly around midfield, and wait for their chance. They weren't playing for a point, they knew all they had to do was get a set-piece.

Last year teams underestimated us, assumed we'd be easy pickings and attacked us. It allowed us to catch them out even though it was still far from enthralling most of the times. Since Christmas, teams have done their homework and it is hurting us. Brown has no cohesive plan B and that is why we have struggled this calendar year.

Heaven only knows what formation we ended up with but I'm glad the game didn't go on for much longer. Bridge used the ball thoughtfully and quickly, looks an upgrade on King who tried his best to give Bristol Rovers the ball in some excellent positions. When Leonard runs at players down the middle, it draws players out and gives us men over. It is something that needs to happen more often.

I will never slag off Mooney (or anyone of our players) at the game (or cheer his substitution, as some morons felt fit to do) but it was clear today that for all he plays some clever passes and has good movement when we do get the ball around the box, he really lacks the physicality to be a threat. He was bullied throughout by a strong centre back. Not his worst game and still is made the scapegoat when the majority of the problems are elsewhere, but for me he isn't good enough to be a regular starter.

It's so frustrating that even though the problems from last year were crystal clear (slow tempo, lack of guile, poor defending at set-pieces), they have not been remedied at all over the summer. That was a point that papered over the cracks.

Tick tock.

[VINE][/VINE]Mooney was far better today than against Gills, and I'd say (for once) he did work hard. In the first half he chased down a nothing ball and laid it on to Cox, who missed :'(. If that had been the other way round I predict everyone would have been praising Cox to high heaven, and slagging Mooney.

Overall, for the starters I give a 6 to all, Leonard and Demetriou a 7. I've said it once and I'll say it again, Williams is a non league player. He's got the turnng circle of a tank, and gave the ball away in our own half late on, PB was (rightly) fuming, we must get a better alternative in before the transfer window shuts.

We desperately need some more arial presence at both ends of the pitch, here's hoping we can get a couple of good signings in before the window shuts.

Last edited:
Just seen the goals. No way is that Oxley's ball to come for. Lack of physical presence again. We only have a few players over 6ft, and they are Thompson, Mooney and Leonard. Hardly dominant physically are they? Thommo did well today having said that.

Just seen the goals. No way is that Oxley's ball to come for. Lack of physical presence again. We only have a few players over 6ft, and they are Thompson, Mooney and Leonard. Hardly dominant physically are they? Thommo did well today having said that.

Which again I say, is where we are missing White.

bad news for me - renewed the season ticket again - can I take another load of this s**** -- no - pick and choose from now on - away games tipped ++++++ for now -8000+ your having a ****ing laugh - (even bigger laugh at my boy - he paid £25.00 for a ticket) PS don't care what people think in my opinion Brown's a muppet

Agreed, we have two shorter than average centre halfs, Mooney, who ducks almost every high ball, leaving Leonard as the tallest player on the pitch, yet when we have a corner we leave him on the half way line defending?!

Which again I say, is where we are missing White.

Possibly, but I must admit I'm not sure White would have stopped their goal, he certainly didn't towards the end of last season. For what it's worth I thought Demetriou was perhaps our best prayer today, I can certainly appreciate why he was ****ed off being subbed, especially for Ryman league wannabe Williams.

Last edited:
Back