• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

manor15

Super Moderator⭐⭐
Staff member
Very entertaining game which could really have gone either way. Can't help but feel that they were there for the taking and they'll likely feel the same. Slow start but could have put the game to bed, poor defending for their goal after a wrong call by the ref on the throw-in and we seemed to lose our focus for a moment and it cost us, unforgivable at this level.

Played some very nice stuff at times and then resorted to the long ball to Ranger late on. Certainly a huge improvement on the last 2 but have to be more clinical in front of goal.

Peterborough were a decent side just constantly making sloppy basic mistakes. Anthony Grant bossed the midfield throughout for them.

Oxley 8 A couple of brilliant saves in the second half
Demetriou 7 Generally good but tired towards the end and had nothing left
White 6 Okay but not a lot more, pulled all over the place by their pace
Leonard 7 All over the place, his speed is great defensively but at times he couldn't place a pass
Timlin 7 Thought he was much better second half but should have done better for the goal and got a bit sloppy late on
Yearwood 8 Started on the right and looked lost, moved into the centre and had real intent going forward with some great footwork, though tried to do too much at times
Wright 6.5 Very efficient first half and protected the defence well, struggled when Grant moved forward and lost his way, not a great finisher
Wordsworth 6 Aside from a few neat flicks, he didn't track back and just swung a foot at a shot whenever it came near him
McLaughlin 5 Woefully out of form, got in some good positions but poor execution
Fortune 6.5 Worked hard and very physical, tired early on
Cox 6.5 Anonymous for the first hour, put himself a bit more after that

Subs
Robinson 6.5 Being positive here, he got in some great positions and won some headers which you expected him to lose. If only he realised that he can put his foot through a ball and doesn't have to wait for 30 seconds before doing anything in the box.
Ranger 6.5 Won some headers, looked frustrated every time he didn't get the ball

On paper a decent point which we might have taken given the injuries/suspensions and our recent form. Need to start turning these kind of tight games into wins, especially if our away form doesn't pick up soon.

The only entertainment was giggling at 2 teams who couldn’t defend for toffee. Oxley won us a point with 3 top drawer saves. Timlin was atrocious. For anything good Macca did he followed it up with something **** and we become so so so one dimensional when Ranger is on, it’s just hoof it and hope.

Wright and Yearwood very unlucky not to bag a couple of screamers

One more rating, a -10 out of 10 for that waste of money monstrosity in the north-west corner.

Thank goodness for Oxley. After last season I didn't think I'd be saying that but he has kept us in more than one game this season.

That is all

A draw was probably a fair result tonight after both sides attempted to give the ball away as many times as they won it. We played some very nice on the ground stuff in the first half, but Fortune's goal apart, we had very little intent in front of goal, luckily Peterborough were just as dire when it came to accurate shooting. We deserved to be in front at half time, but not so the second half I'm afraid. Peterborough started with intent and tested our back line to the point where they eventually equalised before they went back to preferring to shoot anywhere but at the goal, luckily when they did hit the target my MoM Oxley was equal to it with some pretty useful saves. I thought Coxy had a better game tonight apart from when he tried to defend. Simon, you're not a defender so don't try to defend, you're rubbish at it and just get yellow cards as a result. I thought Fortune started as if he had a point to prove, his hold up play was precise and he scored, but he started to tire and I think his substitution came at the right time. This performance was very much better than in recent games, but we just can't keep on letting opportunities pass us by, otherwise the points gap will be too big to claw back. All of that said, we still have players to come back from injury who should strengthen the team so too early to get downhearted.

Saturday and Bury will be interesting. I think Phil has to make a decision over Michael Timlin. He's not a left back and although he always gives 110% he is making too many mistakes in that position at the moment. Time for a breather in my opinion and Hendrie should take over. Ferdinand will be available for the back four over which I have mixed views. No doubt Phil will put him straight back in.

PS - The West Stand Lino bottled some pretty basic decisions in our favour. The West Stand was not amused and offered some Lino improvement guidance to him, but sadly he chose to be a total tosser up to the final whistle. You can only try!

Last edited:
My first post on this forum was in the aftermath of a 0-0 draw away at Peterborough, made sweeter by a certain Mr Bentley with a late penalty save. So here we go again, another Peterborough match report.

A game made interesting by the apparent lack of desire from both teams to keep hold of the ball and take their chances. I'm fairly confident that if we were playing well we'd have won 3 or 4 -1, likewise if they were more composed in the final 3rd they could have had a hatful.

Oxley - 9. MOM. We're just finding out how good a goalkeeper he is. An unsettled career of loans and being first and second choice clearly did him no favours, as the Oxley from last season was a different player. Now, with some games and confidence, he's playing probably as well as he has ever played in his career and today he earnt us a point. Fantastic display and long may his form continue.

Demetriou - 6.5. Comes in for quite a lot of stick on here regularly but have been impressed with him this season. Gets up and down endlessly at RB and is useful going forwards. I'm told his missed interception lead to their equaliser so I've knocked off half a point...I thought he has a good game though.

Leonard - 7. Lenny is actually our best player in any position he turns his hand to, so it seems. Solid, dependable, just a Lenny performance we've come to expect.

White - 6. Maybe lacked some of the composure we've seen from him this season at times but by no means a poor performance.

Timlin - 4. I hate to give tims a low rating because I'm a huge fan of his but he had a bit of a shocker. He misplaced so many simple passes and was lucky not to be caught out more often with his charges forward. Please Mr Brown, no more Timlin at left back.

Yearwood - 7. The kid is still raw and sometimes runs into trouble but boy can he play for a 17 year old. Picks the ball up and drives at teams which is what defenders hate, passes a ball well and wasn't far away from scoring a belter. Exciting.

Wright - 6. Covered ground well, played simple passes. Again not a bad performance, wouldn't have said he stood out.

Wordsworth - 6. Didn't quite happen for Woody today but worked hard and was a little bit unfortunate on occasion. As always an important player for us.

McLaughlin - 4. Had a mare didn't he? Loose touches, gave the ball away countless times, nothing worked for him. Maybe brown gave him a few choice words after Wigan hoping to inspire a performance but seemed a man low on confidence and low on form. Can't fault the effort but not his evening.

Fortune - 7. Took his goal well, was a nuisance in the first half, faded in the second slightly. Always feel like he gets short changed by refs as he always seems to have arms all over him

Cox - 6. Lots of work and nice touches, I just wish we gave him better service because he's a quality player at this level. He'll come good eventually, he's too good not to.

Overall i worry it's 2 points dropped but Oxley kept us in it with some great saves. Still unbeaten at home and we're getting closer to our favourite month where we spank everyone within our reach (apart from the cup) so things to look forward to. Also nice to not totally capitulate after conceding although we tried our hardest to. Not our worst night for sure.

A draw was probably a fair result tonight after both sides attempted to give the ball away as many times as they won it. We played some very nice on the ground stuff in the first half, but Fortune's goal apart, we had very little intent in front of goal, luckily Peterborough were just as dire when it came to accurate shooting. We deserved to be in front at half time, but not so the second half I'm afraid. Peterborough started with intent and tested our back line to the point where they eventually equalised before they went back to preferring to shoot anywhere but at the goal, luckily when they did hit the target my MoM Oxley was equal to it with some pretty useful saves. I thought Coxy had a better game tonight apart from when he tried to defend. Simon, you're not a defender so don't try to defend, you're rubbish at it and just get yellow cards as a result. I thought Fortune started as if he had a point to prove, his hold up play was precise and he scored, but he started to tire and I think his substitution came at the right time. This performance was very much better than in recent games, but we just can't keep on letting opportunities pass us by, otherwise the points gap will be too big to claw back. All of that said, we still have players to come back from injury who should strengthen the team so too early to get downhearted.

Saturday and Bury will be interesting. I think Phil has to make a decision over Michael Timlin. He's not a left back and although he always gives 110% he is making too many mistakes in that position at the moment. Time for a breather in my opinion and Hendrie should take over. Ferdinand will be available for the back four over which I have mixed views. No doubt Phil will put him straight back in.

Think Cox was really poor, he needs to remember he is a striker, countless times he could have had a crack, he keeps passing it wide....

That was the worse defence I have seen at the hall this season, we didn't make them look crap- they were crap. And their keeper had very little to do. Simon fox, I think you are great but if you are not going to shoot when you get the chance what's the point of playing you? The game should have. E n over at by. Yearwood excellent BUT gave away cheap free kicks and let their man breeze past him from their throw which ultimately led to the goal. Oxley man of the match by a mile . Must be strong candidate for player of the season so far. Dog needs a walk, so I guess I will be seeing more steaming stuff tonight

Hendrie needs to retire if timlin is getting in over him what the hel was he playing at? If it weren't for Lenny covering him they would of got 2 or 3 in the second half the man just can't defend!!!

Well what a game. Absolute Shakespeare football; a Comedy of Errors.

The first 10 minutes consisted of both teams trying to do their utmost to see who could make the biggest defensive **** up. In the end Peterborough won and Fortune scored with a good finish into the corner.

Generally I though we controlled the first half without really testing their keeper. Oxley was being put more under pressure by some weird back passes but Posh always looked capable of breaking quickly. The lack of height was exposed on one occasion when they had 3 people lining up to head the ball in but contrived to put it well over the bar. 1-0 at half time was about right.

In the second half it was fast, frenetic and both sides had good periods but they definitely took control and we - as usual - defended too deep. Fortune seemed unable to hang onto the ball and was looking tired. Timlin was frankly appalling. I love the bloke but he is NOT a left back. McLaughlin kept tripping over his own feet. Choices by almost all the strikers in the last third were 100% wrong.

Their goal was not a surprise. In fact, the only shock was that they didn't go on to win it. Oxley made 3 or 4 very good saves and they contrived to miss two open goals when it seemed easier to hit the target. It could have been carnage.

But we brought on Ranger and Robinson and it gave us another option. Ranger was a handful and as the last 10 minutes approached and they clearly settled for the point, we upped our game and Yearwood, Wright and Wordsworth had decent efforts. Wright had a golden chance in injury time but curled the ball over; just before, Cox had somehow decided to pass sideways rather than shoot when on the edge of the box. You're an ex-international striker man! Put your foot through the bloody thing and aim at the onion bag!

Frustrating beyond belief really.

Ratings -

Oxley - 9 - MOM - best performance by him since joining and possibly by any Southend keeper for some time.

Demetriou - 7 - Did ok. Needless booking for a cynical and unnecessary trip.
Timlin - 5 - No, no, no, no, no. I've marked him higher than I would do if he was a left back, BUT HE IS NOT THE BLOODY LEFT BACK! Ok, he can fill in if necessary but our reserve left back is on the bench. If he is good enough for the bench, he is good enough for the team. Tims is a whole hearted player who has spilt blood for the club, but this is not his position and every team targets him. It's not fair on him. PB - PLEASE PLAY HENDRIE IN THIS POSITION! No more square pegs in round holes!
White - 8 - Usual JW performance. Committed, honest and as solid as he can be in a makeshift defence.
Leonard - 7 - His speed gets him out of trouble. Did as well as could be expected. Miss him in the midfield.

Wright - 7 - Decent game, unlucky not to score.
Yearwood - 8 - Cracking at times, looked a bit tired late on. Some sublime skill and hit the bar with a rocket shot. He's a prospect.
Wordsworth - 6 - Didn't impose himself as he should have done.

McLaughlin - 5 - Not good enough. Poor crossing. Kept tripping over his own feet. Wrong pass choices. Can do a lot better.
Fortune - 7.5 - Seemed to struggle holding the ball up, which is normally his strength. Good goal though.
Cox - 6 - Worked hard but again, wrong choices and poor shooting.

Subs -

Ranger - 8 - Best he's played since last season.
Robinson - 7 - Much better coming off the bench than starting.

Ref - 7 - Got most stuff pretty much right. There was some controversy around the throw in that led to their goal, originally given to us by the ref but the linesman went the other way. he let the game flow well I thought and all the bookings, apart from maybe Yearwood's, were about right.

Oxley 9 - Once again earned us some points, it's hard to believe he's the same keeper that was spilling soft shots at the start of last season.

Demitriou 6 - Solid enough and tried to make things happen.
Leonard 6.5 - Hopefully doesn't get replaced by Ferdinand Saturday, we lose something in midfield by putting him as CB but he looks a lot better than Anton as it stands.
White 5.5 - Looked a bit shaky, hopefully just an off game from him.
Timlin 4 - Made some great last gasp tackles, unfortunately they only needed to be made because he kept giving the ball away and being caught out of position. He's not a left back and we desperately need to find an alternative because he's a big part of why we look poor at the back right now.

Yearwood 7.5 - Looks a real prospect, some fantastic dribbling throughout the match. Sometimes needs to keep it simple though because he played a few through balls his teammates aren't expecting and so we lost the ball.
Wright 5.5 - Peterborough worked out how to nullify him in the second half, probably should have been substituted but I guess Brown doesn't trust Bridge.
Wordsworth 6 - Pretty wasteful today, although he did still play some nice balls.
McLaughlin 5 - Seemed to get into crossing positions a lot so he must have been doing something right, unfortunately the end product was awful.

Fortune 7 - Looks by far our most threatening striker, unfortunately he's not got the legs to last more than a half.

Cox 6 - Some nice touches but needs to stop being selfless and start taking shots when he's got a sight of goal because it's the only way he's going to start scoring.

Subs

Ranger 6 - Won a couple of headers which created chances but didn't really have any end product when the ball was at his feet.
Robinson 6 - Better than usual, the ball actually seemed to stick to his feet for a change and he won quite a lot in the air. Unfortunately he still can't shoot or pass.

Match report: Southend United 1, Peterborough United 1

HOT-SHOT Jack Marriott bagged his 10th goal of the season to stop Southend United seeing off Peterborough United tonight.

More...

My first post on this forum was in the aftermath of a 0-0 draw away at Peterborough, made sweeter by a certain Mr Bentley with a late penalty save. So here we go again, another Peterborough match report.

A game made interesting by the apparent lack of desire from both teams to keep hold of the ball and take their chances. I'm fairly confident that if we were playing well we'd have won 3 or 4 -1, likewise if they were more composed in the final 3rd they could have had a hatful.

Oxley - 9. MOM. We're just finding out how good a goalkeeper he is. An unsettled career of loans and being first and second choice clearly did him no favours, as the Oxley from last season was a different player. Now, with some games and confidence, he's playing probably as well as he has ever played in his career and today he earnt us a point. Fantastic display and long may his form continue.

Demetriou - 6.5. Comes in for quite a lot of stick on here regularly but have been impressed with him this season. Gets up and down endlessly at RB and is useful going forwards. I'm told his missed interception lead to their equaliser so I've knocked off half a point...I thought he has a good game though.

Leonard - 7. Lenny is actually our best player in any position he turns his hand to, so it seems. Solid, dependable, just a Lenny performance we've come to expect.

White - 6. Maybe lacked some of the composure we've seen from him this season at times but by no means a poor performance.

Timlin - 4. I hate to give tims a low rating because I'm a huge fan of his but he had a bit of a shocker. He misplaced so many simple passes and was lucky not to be caught out more often with his charges forward. Please Mr Brown, no more Timlin at left back.

Yearwood - 7. The kid is still raw and sometimes runs into trouble but boy can he play for a 17 year old. Picks the ball up and drives at teams which is what defenders hate, passes a ball well and wasn't far away from scoring a belter. Exciting.

Wright - 6. Covered ground well, played simple passes. Again not a bad performance, wouldn't have said he stood out.

Wordsworth - 6. Didn't quite happen for Woody today but worked hard and was a little bit unfortunate on occasion. As always an important player for us.

McLaughlin - 4. Had a mare didn't he? Loose touches, gave the ball away countless times, nothing worked for him. Maybe brown gave him a few choice words after Wigan hoping to inspire a performance but seemed a man low on confidence and low on form. Can't fault the effort but not his evening.

Fortune - 7. Took his goal well, was a nuisance in the first half, faded in the second slightly. Always feel like he gets short changed by refs as he always seems to have arms all over him

Cox - 6. Lots of work and nice touches, I just wish we gave him better service because he's a quality player at this level. He'll come good eventually, he's too good not to.

Overall i worry it's 2 points dropped but Oxley kept us in it with some great saves. Still unbeaten at home and we're getting closer to our favourite month where we spank everyone within our reach (apart from the cup) so things to look forward to. Also nice to not totally capitulate after conceding although we tried our hardest to. Not our worst night for sure.

Not much point in me doing ratings now as yours are pretty much the same as mine! Good summary Wes, it was one of those games that could have gone either way, if we were a little more decisive in the final third we might have nicked it. Unfortunately McLaughlin had another mare and messed up most of our best attacking moves.

I've got to mention Timlin, he's no left back and was incredibly poor, how anyone can rate him more than a 5 today is beyond me. He's got no positional sense as a full back and was constantly caught out by a simple ball up the line. Lenny covered for him well for much of the game, I dread to think what would have happened if Anton was playing. Hendrie's been disappointing so far but I can't see how he can do much worse, time to give him another chance perhaps. We're missing Coker dreadfully right now. :sad:

On a brighter note Lenny played well again and Dru again showed signs of real promise, it was a shame that snap shot was just off target. Good to see Fortune get his first goal too.

Oh and Oxley :Worthy: yet again!

White - 8 - Usual JW performance. Committed, honest and as solid as he can be in a makeshift defence.
Leonard - 7 - His speed gets him out of trouble. Did as well as could be expected. Miss him in the midfield.

I'll have whatever you're drinking tonight please! All jokes aside, how you're able to rate White above Leonard is beyond me??

Back