• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

morris 6.5 - did pretty good, good communication with the back four, good hands only thing he could have worked on was not to use the long ball so much

clohessy - 7.5 was actually really impressed with him, good going forward and also defencively decent aswelll.
Phillips - 6.5 did his job, helped out setting up the goal
Prosser - 6.5 had a really difficult game against a big old fashioned centre forward, conlan i believe. did well considering.
Barker - 6.5 useful going forward, really shame he hasn't got the legs anymore but very composed and useful to have in the team

simpson - 6 did some neat touches but a bit of an average game really.
grant - 6 not the best game for grant a few balls to many put out of touch but did his job as always but we know he can do better
easton - 7 good football, reminded me of maher, played things simple and filled the empty space. did what we needed him to.
soares - 6.5 good from corners and free-kicks. would have liked to see him get the ball to his feet more but looks a good player

corr - 7 i actually really like corr, does the dirty work and with the right partner good be a really good player for us, did miss 2 really good chances though. reminds me so much of a slightly better revell
spencer - 6 he did ok in the first half but nothing special. wasn't impressed with his pointless kicking the ball away.

subs:

sturrock - 7 didnt do anything other than score but thats what matters
paterson - can't really judge
zaaboub - 6 looked a bit nervous, wasn't helped by grant's poor passing to him, did really help us out towards the end though. needs to be a bit more composed.

There were a few disappointing incidents - I thought the referee was very poor and in all fairness Barry Corr's behaviour towards Greg Tansey was disgusting and not welcome in the game any more, but that's football isn't it?

Sorry to take your rose tinted spectacles away from you but Greg Tansey wasnt such a good boy grabbing corr round the neck and thrusting him forward, this is why corr reacted!

Match Reports and Ratings below.

Crowd: 5589 - Okay, we're in League Two now but opening game of the season, decent weather, 9 new players. That's a disappointing crowd.

I think that could well be the average crowd this season, we have approx 3,500 season ticket holders so 2,000 extra per match will probably be about it. There are plenty of teams that will bring less fans than Stockport but opening day games are usually below average though due to people on holiday.

Mind you the family stand was very empty today, the emptiest I have seen it for about 6 years at a league match.

Morris - 7 - Held the few saves he had to make very well. A little suspect from set pieces, but that's to be expected from a 'keeper who isnt the tallest and is still learning to deal with his defenders.
Clohessy - 7 - Really like this lad. You can tell he's had his football education at Arsenal as he's very comfortable with the ball at his feet. He gets forward well and supplements the winger. Was done for pace once in the first half, but learnt from his mistake.
Barker - 7.5 - Oozes quality. Clearly not in Reid's plans at Plymouth, so I hope we can convince him down to the opposite coast on a longer basis.
Prosser - 6.5 - Very raw, but wins more than he loses in the air. Needs to be guided through the game, however, and like Moshni, will need Phillips or Coughlan to help him. Like Barrett, he likes a cuddle and this costed us today.
Phillips - 7.5 - Like Barker, he oozes class at the back and will prove to be a very, very astute signing at the back. Did all he needed to whilst helping Prosser through the game.
Johnson - 6 - Bit disappointed, really. Whilst he didn't put a foot wrong, he was fairly anonymous and had little impact on the game.
Easton - 7 - Maheresque, he's not afraid to put his foot in and signals a far more combatant midfield than last year. Good passing, too.
Grant - 7 - Like Easton, he put it about today and it showed. The Stockport midfield were very wary of our midfield threat and, as such, looked to bypass it at all costs... which is probably why Conlon saw so much of the ball.
Soares - 6 - Jury is still out on Soares for me, I'm afraid. It was a difficult game to impact upon with both sides resorting to the long ball and his set pieces were very intimittent; some hitting the mark perfectly, others soaring (geddit) wide of the mark.
Spencer - 6 - Still learning that position, but the signs are promising. Sold Williams short with a brilliant bit of skill early on, yet seemed to get found out after that and was rightfully brought off.
Corr - 7.5 - Very, very impressed with Corr today and I just hope his lack of goals doesn't cause too much discontent amongst the fans. Plays with his back to goal and wins 90% of what he's given in the air. There were times today when I thought, if Moussa was present, we would've won comfortably, as he layed the ball off with a simple header into the middle with such ease and a midfielder with the presence to feed off that would've scored a few today. Still, early doors for our midfield to gel and if any of our crop can learn to read Corr's lay-offs then we could be on to something.

Subs -

Zaaboub - 6 - Didn't think much, to be honest... Very hit and miss.
Paterson - 7 - Did well in the little time and showed a great bit of skill to get away from his man.
Sturrock - 7 - Are you watching Glasgow? Can't argue with a goal that he took very well in the heat of the moment, yet done little else.

All in all, a performance that had its fair share of promising sparks, yet there are still creases to iron out and work over. Once this team understands eachother, I feel we could be a real threat to this league.

Last edited:
Im pretty sure it was Phillips who knocked the ball down for Blair but, agree Corr won a lot of balls and needs a quick striker alongside him.

Corr knocked it down.

Well, we looked solid as expected. I think Jam_Man said we went 442 after the subs came on, but we actually started the second half 442 with Simpson on the right and Spencer up top with Corr.

Not a lot happened really (besides the last 10), we look gutless up top and I have to say I really dont fancy Spencer, who flatters to deceive (looks fast, but isnt really and has a terrible touch).

Corr looked decent, but will not score near 10 I fear - perhaps with Paterson alongside him he will be a bit of a battering ram.

Anyways, great to see Sturrock make the changes where needed and I'm confident that with a 442 system, we'll do well (Put 2 of the 3 wingers wide, grant and easton and then Paterson with Sturrock/Corr up top).

Finally, REALLY pleased for Blair. He is going to get stick just because of who he is. Most on here not even giving him a chance before even seeing him play, which is disgusting support.

Lets get behind the players eh and who knows what we can all achieve!

This whole side (and club really) needs a period to settle now and I just pray the fans dont start moaning from the stands in the next few weeks as things splutter along as they inevitably will. Listening to Sturrock after the game (refreshingly honest interview from a Southend manager :) ), he knows things are way off from being what he wants yet and I'm absolutely confident he'll get it right - just PLEASE give him and the players a chance.

Well Cheshire actually.

Just I find some of the 'You're a Northerner bla bla' posts a bit tiresome. I'd be a bit annoyed if I went onto another clubs forum and was mocked because I'm a southerner.

Well Cheshire actually.

Just I find some of the 'You're a Northerner bla bla' posts a bit tiresome. I'd be a bit annoyed if I went onto another clubs forum and was mocked because I'm a southerner.

If you go on the Facebook event for this game they kept saying ...

WE ARE GOING TO SMASH THOSE SOUTHERN *****

Along the same lines

Morris - 7 - Held the few saves he had to make very well. A little suspect from set pieces, but that's to be expected from a 'keeper who isnt the tallest and is still learning to deal with his defenders.
Clohessy - 7 - Really like this lad. You can tell he's had his football education at Arsenal as he's very comfortable with the ball at his feet. He gets forward well and supplements the winger. Was done for pace once in the first half, but learnt from his mistake.
Barker - 7.5 - Oozes quality. Clearly not in Reid's plans at Plymouth, so I hope we can convince him down to the opposite coast on a longer basis.
Prosser - 6.5 - Very raw, but wins more than he loses in the air. Needs to be guided through the game, however, and like Moshni, will need Phillips or Coughlan to help him. Like Barrett, he likes a cuddle and this costed us today.
Phillips - 7.5 - Like Barker, he oozes class at the back and will prove to be a very, very astute signing at the back. Did all he needed to whilst helping Prosser through the game.
Johnson - 6 - Bit disappointed, really. Whilst he didn't put a foot wrong, he was fairly anonymous and had little impact on the game.
Easton - 7 - Maheresque, he's not afraid to put his foot in and signals a far more combatant midfield than last year. Good passing, too.
Grant - 7 - Like Easton, he put it about today and it showed. The Stockport midfield were very wary of our midfield threat and, as such, looked to bypass it at all costs... which is probably why Conlon saw so much of the ball.
Soares - 6 - Jury is still out on Soares for me, I'm afraid. It was a difficult game to impact upon with both sides resorting to the long ball and his set pieces were very intimittent; some hitting the mark perfectly, others soaring (geddit) wide of the mark.
Spencer - 6 - Still learning that position, but the signs are promising. Sold Williams short with a brilliant bit of skill early on, yet seemed to get found out after that and was rightfully brought off.
Corr - 7.5 - Very, very impressed with Corr today and I just hope his lack of goals doesn't cause too much discontent amongst the fans. Plays with his back to goal and wins 90% of what he's given in the air. There were times today when I thought, if Moussa was present, we would've won comfortably, as he layed the ball off with a simple header into the middle with such ease and a midfielder with the presence to feed off that would've scored a few today. Still, early doors for our midfield to gel and if any of our crop can learn to read Corr's lay-offs then we could be on to something.

Subs -

Zaaboub - 6 - Didn't think much, to be honest... Very hit and miss.
Paterson - 7 - Did well in the little time and showed a great bit of skill to get away from his man.
Sturrock - 7 - Are you watching Glasgow? Can't argue with a goal that he took very well in the heat of the moment, yet done little else.

All in all, a performance that had its fair share of promising sparks, yet there are still creases to iron out and work over. Once this team understands eachother, I feel we could be a real threat to this league.

Johnson....anonymous?? I'd say so, didn't even see him on the pitch

If you go on the Facebook event for this game they kept saying ...

WE ARE GOING TO SMASH THOSE SOUTHERN *****

Along the same lines

Don't tarnish them all with the same brush. At least you won't be able to use the Northerners excuse next week when we'll (more than likely) become subject to having darts and snooker balls thrown at us at Aldershot...

what did corr do that was disgusting, i didnt see anything? no mention of the lino. got very lucky with that.
BBC Essex were reporting that a Southend player spat at a Stockport player, so I'm assuming that's what he's referring to.

New season, same crap officials. Yep, the football league is back.

I'll be honest, another game has gone by and I'm still not convinced by this new formation. It leaves Corr too isolated, Spencer out of position, Soares wandering around and a big congestion in the centre of the park. It'll make us hard to beat, but it won't provide many goals. Now we've finally got some wingers at the club, I hope we'll revert to the norm.

It was nice to see Sturrock change formation during the game with his subs, whilst it was also nice to see the management encourage the players, praise them on occasions and read the riot on occasions. Methinks Spencer will be fined for his stupidness.

Did anyone else notice Clohessy's name spelt wrongly on his shirt by the way? Doh.

Ratings:

Morris 7: Did everything asked of him. Decent enough.

Clohessy 7: A solid performance.

Phillips 7.5: My man of the match. I thought he dealt with Conlon superbly. He was solid, no nonsense and steady for the whole game. He'll be a big player for us.

Prosser 7: Wasn't as impressive as in the week, but he was still decent enough. You did feel that someone was more likely to get the better of him rather than Phillips though. I am impressed at how vocal he is.

Barker 7.5: The buzz word for the day for me again - solid. What he does prove is just how dreadful the loanee left backs we had last season were even more.

Simpson 6: I thought he struggled to get into the game in this formation. Ironically just as he started to, he was substituted. He was tidy enough though and I'm sure he'll improve with games.

Easton 6.5: Did the easy things in midfield and got stuck in when he needed to, he was clearly the one charged with keeping things ticking over.

Grant 7: Probably the pick of the central midfield, he's seemingly going to be used in a much more attacking way than previously. His energy, guts and determination will be vital to us. Let's hope we can get to September without him being flogged.

Soares 6: Like Simpson, he struggled to get into the game and at times it passed him by. In a 4-4-2 I think we'd see his qualities a lot more. He did however ping in some very useful set piece deliveries.

Corr 6.5: A stereotypical big lump of a lower league forward if I've ever seen one. He puts himself about far better than Revell and Harrold, but clearly he's going to struggle to hit the net. Guilty of 2 or 3 shocking misses. And I got the feeling for some reason he could snap and deck someone at any point, not helped when he was grabbed round the throat.

Spencer 6: He struggled. Poor old Screech is going to continue to struggle if he's played on the left as well. Let's not forget though that he's very inexperienced in League footbal himself and this will undoubtedly be a learning curve for him.

Subs:

Zaaboub 6.5: Added a bit of width and balance to the left as we switched formations. The fitter he gets the better he'll get. I take it he's the accused in the 'spit row' that will no doubt brew?

Sturrock 6.5: Well, well, well........ He showed some nice touches, linked up play well and was in the right place at the right time to knock his goal in. The first of many??????

Paterson /: I'm surprised to see him start the season on the bench and I'm sure he is as well.

Back