• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Just got back Gutted!
Should have won!
Firstly there was more than 5500 there if our ground holds 12,000 think they got that wrong :stunned:

Also would be nice to see some new faces in the Blue Voice section rather than the 50 or so each week trying their hardest, also i wonder if Sturrock is going to punish himself for getting sent to the stands as he talked about discipline.

The only way is up :support:

PS: IF the atmospheres not good enough for you, get to the Blue Voice Section and Sing

Nope crowd was spot on, very empty in the South Lower & the family stand, spaces in the East Stand & South Upper as well. Infact I thought the crowd looked a shade under 5,500. Lets get used to it thats the sort of crowds we will get this season.

The atmopshere in parts was better than some of the higher crowds of recent seasons. Having the Blue Voice section in the West Stand rather than the North Bank actually improves the atmosphere and gets the rest of the ground singing.

Nope crowd was spot on, very empty in the South Lower & the family stand, spaces in the East Stand & South Upper as well. Infact I thought the crowd looked a shade under 5,500. Lets get used to it thats the sort of crowds we will get this season.

The atmopshere in parts was better than some of the higher crowds of recent seasons. Having the Blue Voice section in the West Stand rather than the North Bank actually improves the atmosphere and gets the rest of the ground singing.

I honestly think different about the attendance!

Ad to be honest its better in the North Bank only if more people come along and Sing!

BBC Essex were reporting that a Southend player spat at a Stockport player, so I'm assuming that's what he's referring to.
It was Zaaboub. After they scored he went to get the ball from the Stockport player in their half so we could kick off, he spat at him when he kicked the ball away and pushed him and then it all kicked off and for some reason he booked Corr, mistaken identity probably.

I thought we were a bit disappointing today, especially with the formation in the early parts of the game. We were alot of huff and puff but having seen us in most of the friendlies I thought we were a bit off colour.

I didnt see in Corr what a lot of others did, but he did get in positions. If I am honest I thought Conlon was the more effective of the two strikers. Also, Spencer works hard but agree with other poster that he isnt too effective. Paterson and Sturrock looked great when they came on.

Didnt really see the Stockport linesman incident, but good finish from their man. I thought 1-1 was a fair result, and its great to see our defence looking solid. Aside from the goal which was probably illegal we looked strong. We should be safe in this division with a strong defence.

Great to be back, and everyone loves an extra time goal !

I honestly think different about the attendance!

Ad to be honest its better in the North Bank only if more people come along and Sing!

No there were few away fans and massive areas of empty seats in the South and West Stands. The family stand looked almost empty.

Bearing in mind the attendances of the first couple of games are affected by holidays and the recent events thats not a bad crowd.

BBC Essex were reporting that a Southend player spat at a Stockport player, so I'm assuming that's what he's referring to.

Yep Zaaboub spat. I saw it quite clear from south upper, that was why Stockport players weren't happy (can't blame them either. I hate to see that from any player, very disappointed in him).

Well a game that we probably should've won ended up in relief that we got a draw. I thought we dominated in terms of posession but lacked quality in the final third. Corr did well as a targetman but could've scored a hat-trick and needs someone alongisde him who can play off him. I'm surprised Paterson didn't start or at least come on before Sturrock but I won't complain as he got the goal. I think 4-4-2 suits us best, none of our 3 central midfielders got forward much. Stockport threatened on the counter-attack occasionally, not quite sure what happened with their goal. It came from a throw-in that's all I know. Overall not a bad performance considering we have an almost completely new team and relieved we didn't lose as we didn't deserve to. A game lacking in quality but I think we'll have to get used to that this season. Ratings:

Morris 7 - Impressive. Made a couple of good saves, including one when he got lobbed but bravely clattered into the post to claw the ball around the post. His distribution seems good.

Clohessy 7 - Good game. Defensively solid and got forward at the right opportunities. Can't cross with his left though.

Prosser 7 - Solid, no-nonsense. I like the look of him so far.

Phillips 6 - Got done for pace a couple of times but did alright overall.

Barker 7 - Very assured. Went close to scoring with a cracking long-range shot.

Soares 6 - Didn't get involved much in open play but whipped some good set-pieces in. Not sure why he got MoTm.

Simpson 6 - Fairly quiet but looks a tidy player.

Easton 6 - Nothing to say on him that hasn't already been said.

Grant 7 - Made some good tackles and got forward more towards the end of the game. Couple of duff balls.

Spencer 5 - Worked hard but he's not a winger.

Corr 6 - Won lots in the air, certainly 'put himself about' and wears his heart on his sleeve but missed one great chance and a few half-chances. Definitely a targetman not a goalscorer.

Subs:

Zaaboub 6 - Made a few good runs but crossing was poor.
Sturrock 7 - Scored...
Paterson 6 - Not enough time.

It was Zaaboub. After they scored he went to get the ball from the Stockport player in their half so we could kick off, he spat at him when he kicked the ball away and pushed him and then it all kicked off and for some reason he booked Corr, mistaken identity probably.

Corr rushed in and started the main pushing.

I liked the fact he stood up for our players, he did it on two occassions.

Yep Zaaboub spat. I saw it quite clear from south upper, that was why Stockport players weren't happy (can't blame them either. I hate to see that from any player, very disappointed in him).

Interestingly, their keeper got some abuse from the Upper for his 50 yard sprint to get involved. His gestured explanations suggested he'd seen some spitting.

Don't tarnish them all with the same brush. At least you won't be able to use the Northerners excuse next week when we'll (more than likely) become subject to having darts and snooker balls thrown at us at Aldershot...

They certainly liked a punch up in the old days. Hopefully it's different now.

I didn't see anyone spitting but it kicked off a bit at the end with Zaaboub and one of their players, when I heard it on the radio I thought it might have happened then.

Absolute crap up front for the most part, but was impressed with the defence and the midfield.

Morris - 6, did his job, but looked pretty shaky in parts

Clohessy - 7, he's a real mini Francis, needs to work on his left foot, but ran up and down pretty well

Phillips - 6, looked alright, looks like a real classy centre half, but wasn't the best performance I've ever seen

Prosser - 7, really, really excited by him, have got no idea why Port Vale let him go.

Barker - 8, quite simply one of the best left back performances I've ever seen at the hall.

Simpson - 7, looks good, great engine, good positional awareness - will score goals as well

Grant - 7, could easily play in The Championship, he's far, far too good for this league, but really needs to stop squaring up to other players

Easton - 6, dictated play well, good organiser, but his passes lacked crispness

Soares - 6, didn't really do anything, not the greatest set play delivery, but will win games.

Spencer - 6, ran around a lot, caused a nuisance, and a great haircut

Corr - 4, an absolutely terrible performance, did he win one header all game? Looks clumsy with the ball at his feet, and his headed efforts were truly dreadful. Won't write him off yet, but Harrold was 10x the player of him.

Zaaboub - 6, looks good, fast, when he's more match fit will be pretty important I reckon

Paterson - 7, just because he's not Corr

Sturrock - 10, such an important goal to score, had no belief in him at all, but he's my new hero.

Morris 7 Caused himself a problem because of his height by trying to catch a ball near the crossbar, and colliding with the post in the second half. It's the same old small goalkeeper syndrome, but that said, He held on to everything that came his way.
Clohessy 6 Not so convinced as others on here. Got beaten for pace a couple of times first half, and a mix up with the keeper nearly resulted in a stockport goal. Looks better going forward than defending(sound familiar) especially with the ball over the top, which will happen frequently in this division.
Barker 7 Liked the look of him defensively, When Zaboub came on late on, and was looking for an overlap, don't think he had the legs to oblige.
Prosser 7 won most in the air and looked fairly composed.
Phillips 7 (whichever one it was that was asigned to Conlon, whilst losing out to most headers, only in non dangerous positions)
Sorry but couldn't always distinguish who was who) Both theses central defenders will be ok in this league.
Simpson 5 Didn't look match fit to me, ok when on the ball, but didn't chase it too much, rightly subbed.
Easton 7.5 Probably my man of the match just. I can see the maher comparrisons in as much a little bit sideways, but kept the ball well
little dinks over the top didn't come off today, but once they all gel... that said Corr should have scored when put through this way in the first half. (big shouts for off-side)
Grant 7.5 Did most things well the usual Granty buying the odd free kick.
Soares 6.5 How he got MOM I will not know, had a great opportunity going through on goal but touch let him down. Some good free kicks though.
Spencer 7 Thought he might have been the matchwinner if Sturrock had come on with him still on the field. Looked lively first, faded second.
Corr 7.5 Won a lot of headers, and despite having an oaf of a central defender against him , made a general nuisance of himself. Will be a handful for most defenses in this league, and once we learn to play off him will be a big attribute.

Subs.
Zaaboub 7 Whilst only on the field a short while, he run the ball out of play, Sent over a lovely corner for our goal. and ran a tiring Stockport defence well at the death. Reminds me a bit of Hal Robson-Kanu.
Paterson 7 Caused a few problems whilst on the field, when we were more threatening.
Sturrock 7 Didn't want to like him, but you have to say we looked more threatening when he came on. Held the ball up well, and helped Corr
against their centre half. Scored on debut. What more can you say!

Overall a point each was fair, and I thought a cracking strike for their goal. Quality was sadly lacking at times, but this is to be expected in league two. We need a bit more quality otherwise it will be along hard season. That said I haven't seen the two whose registrations didn't come through in time.
Ref. 5 couldn't see what most of the bookings were about, and at one point I thought he sent one of our central defenders off.

Corr rushed in and started the main pushing.

I liked the fact he stood up for our players, he did it on two occassions.

Corr was actually booked for dissent according to the BBC

Absolute crap up front for the most part, but was impressed with the defence and the midfield.

Morris - 6, did his job, but looked pretty shaky in parts

Clohessy - 7, he's a real mini Francis, needs to work on his left foot, but ran up and down pretty well

Phillips - 6, looked alright, looks like a real classy centre half, but wasn't the best performance I've ever seen

Prosser - 7, really, really excited by him, have got no idea why Port Vale let him go.

Barker - 8, quite simply one of the best left back performances I've ever seen at the hall.

Simpson - 7, looks good, great engine, good positional awareness - will score goals as well

Grant - 7, could easily play in The Championship, he's far, far too good for this league, but really needs to stop squaring up to other players

Easton - 6, dictated play well, good organiser, but his passes lacked crispness

Soares - 6, didn't really do anything, not the greatest set play delivery, but will win games.

Spencer - 6, ran around a lot, caused a nuisance, and a great haircut

Corr - 4, an absolutely terrible performance, did he win one header all game? Looks clumsy with the ball at his feet, and his headed efforts were truly dreadful. Won't right him off yet, but Harrold was 10x the player of him.

Zaaboub - 6, looks good, fast, when he's more match fit will be pretty important I reckon

Paterson - 7, just because he's not Corr

Sturrock - 10, such an important goal to score, had no belief in him at all, but he's my new hero.

Yes he won the one we scored from so saved the game for us. Lets give him a 4 though.

He won several good knock downs in the penalty area but when he was isolated up front there was no one to get on the end of them.

All in all exactly what I expected, a bit hoofy with the ball trying to fire up to the forwards quickly and stick, but it did not work really. Defensivly I thought we looked really solid seeing as they are all new players. Midfeild apart from granty looked abit devoid if any quality but like most on here upfront we looked well.....pants. Corr, looks if I'm honest abit of a donkey and screech looked out of his depth and listening to sturrock after the game I think he all but agreed with most on here. We all have to realise that these players have all been thrown together and it will take time for the understanding between them to prosper, but all in all at leat we can only get better.

All in all exactly what I expected, a bit hoofy with the ball trying to fire up to the forwards quickly and stick, but it did not work really. Defensivly I thought we looked really solid seeing as they are all new players. Midfeild apart from granty looked abit devoid if any quality but like most on here upfront we looked well.....pants. Corr, looks if I'm honest abit of a donkey and screech looked out of his depth and listening to sturrock after the game I think he all but agreed with most on heree. We all have to realise that these players have all been thrown together and it will take time for the understanding between them to prosper, but all in all atleat we can only get better.

Funnily enough sitting behind the dugout I heard Widdrington screaming keep the ball on the floor at times.

I think the comments about up front are justified, we didnt look a threat, but Id put that more down to playing one up front than anything. Theres no point having a player like Corr fighting for the ball and winning knockdowns if theres no one near him.

As you say the understanding throughout the team needs improving and that will come with time.

Clohessy 6 Not so convinced as others on here. Got beaten for pace a couple of times first half, and a mix up with the keeper nearly resulted in a stockport goal. Looks better going forward than defending(sound familiar) especially with the ball over the top, which will happen frequently in this division.

Corr 7.5 Won a lot of headers, and despite having an oaf of a central defender against him , made a general nuisance of himself. Will be a handful for most defenses in this league, and once we learn to play off him will be a big attribute.
Was we at the same game(corr 7.5?????) Thought Clohessy was our most solid player.

Back