• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1 - 1 Torquay United

I don't doubt it, but at what point does a player grow a set and say "**** you, I do want to go there, I want to go here. I pay you to get it sorted, so sort it."?
The point that he accepts he is a non league player?

Quite a comedown from a club on the verge ofvthe Premier league.

Who can we sign from Daggers? A couple of their players looked far better than what we have. Sad to say!

Kensdale was to blame! In so much as he passed it to Dunne! Dunne then tried and failed to do what Kensdale had just done .... so a real soft goal all agreed , but a decent fight back with ten men that could have even won it at the end..

Yes summed up our last few seasons. 2 or 3 players combining to gift the oppo a needles soft goal at a really bad time. With the ball bouncing a bit, it looked like Super Steve went down early which made the decision easy for the Torquay lad.....Lifting it is much easier than slotting it either side of the keeper.

Still good effort from the 10 men and entertaining finish.

Went corporate today (big family birthday) and was good to meet up with several old legends, including Steve Phillips, who absolutely milked his introduction to the crowd (that was priceless). Also briefly met Tom Lawrence and thanked him for his efforts. Got his work cut out though, no soap, even the ‘posh’ toilets, and I overheard there was no light in the physio room, as water damage had fused the electrics. Agree with the MOTM comments re Callum Powell (but also with those who suggested little end product) and thought Steve was indecisive coming off his line following that mistake before their goal. We passed the ball better than them but they had more intensity. Fair result.

Message for SUEPA. It was a refreshing change for an ex-player to make a bee-line for the West Stand as Steve Phillips did today. All we ever normally see is a vague suited image over by the player’s tunnel.
I don’t know whether it was planned or was just Inch’s idea, but next season, more of the same please!!!

Don't want to say too much about the first half, it was dreadful. So much so that I missed their goal going to the bar and only realised we were 1 down on my return to my seat.

Second half after the sending off was so much better. We still lack a goal threat but the attitude and desire was first class and possibly surprised Torquay who, given the pattern of the first half, probably expected to go on and win comfortably.

Expect it will be an interesting few weeks but my thoughts to those who will become unemployed in the next few days. Us fans demand loyalty to the badge at all times but are quick to shout 'get rid' at the first sign of someone losing their way. Loyalty works both ways. If indeed there are a couple of excellent servants on their way, I wish them all the best.

Message for SUEPA. It was a refreshing change for an ex-player to make a bee-line for the West Stand as Steve Phillips did today. All we ever normally see is a vague suited image over by the player’s tunnel.
I don’t know whether it was planned or was just Inch’s idea, but next season, more of the same please!!!
It was indeed good to see.
I’d say ,with the utmost confidence ,that it wasn’t planned !
Several others have used the phrase that sprung to my mind:
milking it !

That would be a hugely underwhelming permanent signing. We need a much better (and physically bigger) centre back if we are to trouble the top spots next season.
Do we have the budget for better though? I think people expecting a raft of exciting signings might have to temper their expectations - we are as skint as we have ever been.

Do we have the budget for better though? I think people expecting a raft of exciting signings might have to temper their expectations - we are as skint as we have ever been.
Hardly a signing which screams of side who is going to challenge for promotion. Clark decent signing for club like aldershot but not a side with ambition to be at top end.

The agent will push for the move that gets himself the most money.
Then if i were Lopata ,i wouldnt want him as my agent. The players interests should come first and foremost not the agents.

SVC said budget same as this seasons, which i believe was 1.4 million, What with a host of players departing which will free up some wages, plus a smaller squad next season, I think we can afford to bring in some quality players ,Hopefully Lopata will be one of them and Neal another.

An entertaining match considering 2 teams with nothing to play for.

Thought Torquay were a decent outfit which isn’t too surprising with the experienced Gary Johnson in charge.

You can’t tell to much from an end of season match but considering they finish just above us but short of the playoffs we still have some way to go to be challenging for the playoffs next season.

Typical end of season game with nothing riding on it. Not something we have had for a few years! That said some decent performances, specifically Neal and Powell, and actually thought we were the stronger side for the majority of the game (although Torquay had the better chances in the first half).

Was right in front of Demitriou red card and from my point of view it was never a sending off. Torquay player screaming out like he’d been shot then continuing on for the remainder of the game sums it up really. All that said if replays show I am wrong then I will hold my hands up!

End of season awards to Arnold and Dalby both well deserved.

Some big decisions to be made over the next few weeks in terms of playing staff but I really hope they will include Lopata and Neal in either a loan or permanent capacity.

Back